Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
snow physics on Caradhras

Oscarilbo
Lorien

Jan 7 2013, 4:59pm

Post #1 of 7 (347 views)
Shortcut
snow physics on Caradhras Can't Post

Hi guys...

I was seeing again FOTR the other night and notice something that distracted me completely in one of my favorite moments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCvUrVQSFy4

at mark 2:10 and 2:20 you can see huge junks of snow being lifted around by the wind as if were not heavy at all. As I've never been in a snowy place.. is that possible in a storm wind or its just because of the fake snow material ???

I think I'm afraid of never see this scene with the same eyes again.

thank you!

"The World is Changed, I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air"

(This post was edited by Oscarilbo on Jan 7 2013, 5:01pm)

Escapist
Gondor

Jan 7 2013, 5:05pm

Post #2 of 7 (159 views)
Shortcut
In this clip [In reply to] Can't Post

the snow wasn't meant to be entirely natural.

I have seen very wet snow clump a bit as it falls. Some of the flying snow is coming from drifts and may also be partly made up of ice blowing off of rocks, maybe?

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 7 2013, 5:13pm

Post #3 of 7 (149 views)
Shortcut
I imagine this is the effect of the fake snow used in this scene [In reply to] Can't Post

However if the wind speed is strong enough, there's no reason why large lumps of snow and ice couldn't be moved about. Unfortunately, the snow in this scene doesn't move like this in real life (again, because it's fake).

Strong wind speeds (updrafts) can produce large hail stones - the longer they stay in the cloud, the bigger they get. You can get some hail stones as large as your fist (and larger!).

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Jan 7 2013, 5:18pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 7 2013, 5:13pm

Post #4 of 7 (147 views)
Shortcut
not sure what you mean by 'huge junks (chunks?)' [In reply to] Can't Post

if you mean large snowflakes, then I would say 'yes', they can fly around in unpredictable ways, especially around walls and structures where updrafts are created. You can sometimes see snow going up.

When it snows with wind, one side of our house will have much deeper snow bank than another side (we often don't even have to shovel the sidewalk on the north side which is quite close to the house). Snow fencing is put up or rows of trees planted to manipulate where snow falls (and keep it off roads, for example). Of course, this doesn't work when snow falls without wind. It's pretty much a blanket in that case. And how wet or dry snow is will make it behave differently, as well. Dry snow flies much more freely than wet snow.

If you're seeing really, really big chunks of packed snow or something (which I couldn't see but that's not a high quality video), then my answer might not apply.

That said, I can't say the snow in that scene looks or behaves 100% like real snow. But it's not so much off that it takes me out of the moment.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Oscarilbo
Lorien

Jan 7 2013, 5:46pm

Post #5 of 7 (149 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

thank you guys...

and yes, sorry... I ment chunks. you can see them as small rocks floating around a little bit at both marks, just behind Boromir's shield.

"The World is Changed, I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air"

Oscarilbo
Lorien

Jan 7 2013, 5:52pm

Post #6 of 7 (138 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

but for you it's not fake enough to take you out of the scene right?

as Escapist put it, I think I'll keep the "not all natural place" statement, I like it and it helps for this purpose

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 7 2013, 5:54pm

Post #7 of 7 (197 views)
Shortcut
I had never noticed it before :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
but for you it's not fake enough to take you out of the scene right?

as Escapist put it, I think I'll keep the "not all natural place" statement, I like it and it helps for this purpose

And it isn't too obvious, which is a benefit.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.