Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies did you watch this weekend?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

deej
Tol Eressea

Jan 7 2013, 3:49pm

Post #1 of 41 (283 views)
Shortcut
What movies did you watch this weekend? Can't Post

Tell us about them here! Wink

"The Hobbits bowed low. 'Most gracious host', said Frodo, 'It was said to me by Elrond Half-Elven that I should find friendship upon the way, secret and unlooked for. Certainly I have found no such friendship as you have shown. To have found it turns evil to great good."

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 7 2013, 4:12pm

Post #2 of 41 (158 views)
Shortcut
no movies but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I started watching a 2009 TV series, The Unusuals, with Jeremy Renner, Amber Tamblyn, Adam Goldberg, and Harold Perrineau. It has tremendous charm and I really enjoyed the one season available.

I'm also catching up with season 1 of Once Upon a Time. Sundays are chock full of things I want to watch and recording is problematic with out set up. So I just gave up on this show and decided to watch it on DVD. I'm enjoying it... to be sure. But it's a little too Disney for me. Too soft. And a little too angsty with the main couple - Snow/Charming. But I like the different takes on fairytale/storybook stories.

I'm sure someone will ask so, yes, I did see Downtown Abbey. I don't want to stomp on anyone's high but, to be honest, the show is kind of annoying me. Maybe it's just where my head (and personal situation) is at these days. I can't quite figure why I like some productions of Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility so much but I don't DA. There are some things I do like and I will continue watching it. But it's not ever going to be a repeat watch from me and I don't crave the next installment when I'm done with one (like I do with so many other series I watch).

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

imin
Valinor

Jan 7 2013, 4:23pm

Post #3 of 41 (144 views)
Shortcut
life of pi 3D and BBC's Africa [In reply to] Can't Post

Thought it looked beautiful where i couldnt work out when the tiger was real and when it was CGI some of the best i have seen.

The story itself was great and i have not read the book so the ending to me came as quite a surprise but it added to the film massively.

The teenage actor deserves some kind of nomination for his performance which i thought was fantastic.

Overall a lovely film.

BBC's new nature documentary - Africa with David Attenborough

Simply stunning in HD, some scenes looked too incredible to be real almost - such as when there is numerous different species of animal along the river. The close ups of the male lions, the giraffe fight - i didnt realise quite how much damage their horns were doing until we saw the old males rump!

Overall it was like life of pi, just stunning - but it was all real! For me just shows the wonder of evolution. On another note the rhino scene had me laughing out loud, poor male rhino!

A must watch for anybody even remotely interested in wildlife programs.

Alassėa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 7 2013, 4:27pm

Post #4 of 41 (149 views)
Shortcut
Downton Abbey! [In reply to] Can't Post

Woo Hoo! We finally got the first installment of season 3 last night on PBS. Don't worry, Magpie, you won't stomp on my high.
And in the hour before it started, PBS aired a nice little biography of Highclere Castle and its inhabitants. I was surprised to learn that much of the castle's furnishings are left where they are for the series. The current Lady mentioned the silk wall covering and matching drapes which were a wedding present for one of the previous Ladies. There they are again in the sitting room where Lady Mary and the Dowager Countess plot to relieve Grand Mama of some of her money to save the estate.

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

(This post was edited by Alassėa Eruvande on Jan 7 2013, 4:29pm)

Delrond
Rohan

Jan 7 2013, 5:02pm

Post #5 of 41 (143 views)
Shortcut
This is 40. [In reply to] Can't Post

Mrs. D and I needed a break from the family. So she suggested this movie, which made us laugh out loud several times. A little overboard on the profanity, but aside from that, mission accomplished. I'm guessing that anyone who has been married for several years can identify with a number of elements presented in this film. Laugh

A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jan 7 2013, 5:26pm

Post #6 of 41 (149 views)
Shortcut
'Going Postal' (a Discworld miniseries) [In reply to] Can't Post

There is a commentary track that we have not heard yet.

We have also seen most of Futurama, Season 7 on DVD. I picked up a Blu-ray/DVD combo of The Amazing Spider-Man, but we haven't watched it yet.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Annael
Half-elven

Jan 7 2013, 6:14pm

Post #7 of 41 (132 views)
Shortcut
Agree with you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Someone said here just recently that they'd finally figured out that Downton isn't a dramatic series, it's a soap opera. It's got all the elements of a typical soap opera, with constant crises that are solved too quickly only to have another one pop up. Like you, I'm getting a bit annoyed with that, and with how everyone is becoming a caricature of themselves. I still like the Earl and Bates - that's about it.

I loved The Unusuals and wish it hadn't been cancelled.

Once is silly fun.

If it's a good drama you want, Elementary is most satisfying.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 7 2013, 6:15pm

Post #8 of 41 (141 views)
Shortcut
Jack Reacher. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know if I was in the wrong headspace for this but I thought the film was quite average. The crime mystery is good, there are good enough set pieces, but as a whole I wasn't that taken with it.

To be honest, I was just waiting for it to end.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 7 2013, 6:44pm

Post #9 of 41 (128 views)
Shortcut
I'm still puzzling out DA vs JA (Jane Austen) [In reply to] Can't Post

They're both costume dramas. They both have rich vs not so rich. They have foolish or silly behavior/decisions. Why does DA kind of annoy me where JA (a good adaptation, anyhow) entertains me... and never fails no matter how often I visit?

For me, and I don't know that I've worked it out completely, JA has situations... then it has the way people deal with those situations. People grow, change, they exchange totally hilarious (in a quiet Brit way) lines and observations. The entertainment and sustaining value from the story is derived from more than the situations.

DA only has the situations. Aside from Maggie Smith's character, there aren't any great zingers. There are a smattering of 'insightful' comments but nothing much happens when they are delivered. People don't seem to change or grow much. If they do, we don't necessarily see it arise from some lesson they learned (I think O'Brien might be an exception to this).

Without that extra depth of character growth and development and without the exceptional dialog (such that authors like Austen and Tolkien give us), there is just the situations. We tune in to see how the situations have changed. And that is enough, on some level, to entertain. But it's not sustaining, or lasting entertainment. And the situations, in this case, aren't really anything I can identify with. And unless they're using some characters as a lesson (yet to come), I'm losing patience with some of them real quick.

I like Elementary. I've liked other shows better but I try to tune in every week. I give up the Good Wife to watch Downton Abbey but I'm not sure it's a good trade off.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jan 7 2013, 6:45pm

Post #10 of 41 (129 views)
Shortcut
I caught the Unusuals while it was on TV [In reply to] Can't Post

Made a thread about it here. Has it really been that long ago? It featured Jeremy Renner when he was still relatively unknown, pre-Hurt Locker. (In a post in that thread I nominated him for Bilbo, before Morgan Freeman got the job.)

Annnyway, yeah I can't understand why it got cancelled. I've never really watched cop shows so perhaps it was lacking something fans of the genre usually look for; perhaps that's why it was named The Unusuals.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 7 2013, 6:51pm

Post #11 of 41 (128 views)
Shortcut
It's interesting to note that Amber gets higher billing than Jeremy [In reply to] Can't Post

A sure sign this came before Renner's rise in profile. :-)

I also don't know why it was cancelled... although I don't think I was even aware of it when it was on. I have no clue what I was doing (was it on the same time as something else I watched? did it air on a night I was out of the house?)

Seriously, I can't understand why some shows get cancelled but CSI and Law & Order can't die. When they list the cancelled shows at ew.com, it's always a heated conversation where people can't believe why one show will get cut but another (not with necessarily higher ratings) stays.

I don't think quality of show or even quantity of viewers is the deciding factor. I think it's all about demographics. So if a show is performing better for a certain demographic - even if it is performing more poorly than others in terms of all demographics - it gets saved. But it wouldn't matter if a million people in the other demographics were watching... advertisers don't care so 'bye-bye'.

(This post was edited by Magpie on Jan 7 2013, 6:52pm)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jan 7 2013, 7:04pm

Post #12 of 41 (137 views)
Shortcut
IIRC it aired after Lost, [In reply to] Can't Post

in it's fourth season. It wasn't a great time slot.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 7 2013, 7:32pm

Post #13 of 41 (123 views)
Shortcut
I just sought out what it aired against, [In reply to] Can't Post

and, oh the irony, it aired against Law and Order and CSI! Neither show is one I watch.

So, who knows. But I think, by season 4, I'd thrown up my hands in frustration at LOST.

http://insidetv.ew.com/.../16/ratings-unusu-1/

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jan 7 2013, 8:43pm

Post #14 of 41 (125 views)
Shortcut
Rise of the Guardians, The Horse Whisperer, The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

Rise of the Guardians was visually really beautiful, and we enjoyed it a lot, though I found that the story didn't grab me. Not that surprising, since it's aimed at children. Guess I'm not that young at heart anymore. But I'd see it again just for the pretty art.

The Horse Whisperer was beautifully done, but Uncle Baggins and I both thought that the temptation to adultery didn't add anything we wanted to see to the plot. We would have been happier with just the story of the girl and the horse healing, and the mom learning some patience.

Then we went to see The Hobbit again (still 2D--I'm not sure if we'll bother with 3D) with Arandiel and her family. It's always fun to moot with a TORnsib, even if it's a very, very small moot. We had a great chat during the final credits. I wore my dwarf beard, of course :-) Two older women in the hall asked me if I was a real elf (I had my elf-ear hat on too) and I explained that I was a dwarf. They said, "But you're too tall." I said, "You have to use your imagination."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 7 2013, 9:21pm

Post #15 of 41 (121 views)
Shortcut
Can I ask you something about Africa? [In reply to] Can't Post

It's about to start on TV here. These programmes are normally appointment viewing for me, but I was so disappointed by Frozen Planet, not visually, but because of the overdone and obtrusive music. It ruined the series for me. I found the music so unnecessary and annoying I actually watched some of it without sound. There is drama enough in nature without adding excess and emotionally laden music at every turn. I really think David Attenborough has changed his style over the years, and some people probably like the direction he has gone in, but I don't so much.

So do I need to prepare myself for a musical walloping in Africa?

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 7 2013, 9:27pm

Post #16 of 41 (117 views)
Shortcut
Downton Abbey [In reply to] Can't Post

I watched the first series with mild interest, struggled through the second, and then gave up partway through the third (I don't even know if I am right about which series we are up to here). When I stopped watching it, it wasn't deliberate - I just realised I had forgotten to watch it that night, and then I never bothered again.
It has never grabbed me, even though it *should* tick all the boxes for me.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 7 2013, 9:35pm

Post #17 of 41 (127 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad you added that bit in [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It's about to start on TV here. These programmes are normally appointment viewing for me, but I was so disappointed by Frozen Planet, not visually, but because of the overdone and obtrusive music. It ruined the series for me. I found the music so unnecessary and annoying I actually watched some of it without sound.

Tongue

I watched Africa this weekend too, and I don't remember anything about the music. I don't like loud noises, and I don't remember any obtrusive music. It was a fascinating first programme, but they've been very similar documentaries like it before. I preferred Frozen Planet, for obvious (and biased) reasons.

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Jan 7 2013, 9:43pm)

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jan 7 2013, 9:57pm

Post #18 of 41 (115 views)
Shortcut
Second viewing of AUJ, this time in 3D [In reply to] Can't Post

which I was not keen on but the time fit. Enjoyed it even more this time, still loving all the added bits from the Appendices, and really loving Martin Freeman's performance. The 3D glasses were actually comfortable enough to not really notice them on, unusual in my experience. That said, I feel 3D really mostly unnecessary for most films, although I did get a kick out of the moth flying in my face. I went with a former TOR.n sibbie, so that was really fun.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Oiotįri
Tol Eressea

Jan 7 2013, 10:20pm

Post #19 of 41 (113 views)
Shortcut
Stagecoach (1939) [In reply to] Can't Post

directed by John Ford
starring Claire Trevor and John Wayne

The first day of my January interim class called "On the Road" was today. We kicked of the class by watching Stagecoach, since it is about being on the road.

It's a western about a group of people travelling in a stagecoach on very different purposes, while under the threat of an Indian attack.

..The land of long-forgotten name:
......no man may ever anchor near;
..No steering star his hope may aim,
......for nether Night its marches drear,
..And waters wide no sail may tame,
......with shores encircled dark and sheer.

..O! Haven where my heart would be!
......the waves beat upon thy bar
..For ever echo endlessly,
......when longing leads thy thought afar

Alassėa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 7 2013, 10:28pm

Post #20 of 41 (111 views)
Shortcut
Maybe [In reply to] Can't Post

you could persuade the teacher to let you watch LOTR or The Hobbit. Excellent "road" movies. WinkCool

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jan 7 2013, 11:10pm

Post #21 of 41 (105 views)
Shortcut
That's a wonderful film. // [In reply to] Can't Post

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

imin
Valinor

Jan 8 2013, 12:06am

Post #22 of 41 (106 views)
Shortcut
That's how i feel about PJ's Middle-earth films :P [In reply to] Can't Post

For me i felt Frozen Planet was the best one yet, but like Daniel i have always preferred the cold and always been drawn in by the harsh beauty shown in Frozen Planet.

I cant remember there being any more or less music than for Frozen Planet on Africa, but then FP didnt seem overly emotive with music for me.

I dont think DA has changed all that much over the years, i have been watching his programmes for 2 decades and just finished watching his series on how he has narrated wildlife shows for 60 years. Been very consistent i feel - a national treasure :)

On a side note did anyone (im thinking you Daniel especially) watch The Polar Bear Family and Me? That scene where he was in the little clear plastic box was truly incredible - never seen anything like it before, stunning.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 8 2013, 12:20am

Post #23 of 41 (92 views)
Shortcut
Haha! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't mind a bit of emotive music in a fictional world, I just don't much like it in my real world thanks.
You know, it's the cutesy music for the penguins, the dramatic soaring music for the blue whale, the suspenseful music as we wait to see if the polar bear will eat the seal and so on.
I'm not saying I don't want any music, it certainly has its place, but I felt like it was very overblown in Frozen Planet. And that detracted from my enjoyment of the series, which was a real shame. It was absolutely stunning and captured some incredible footage.

I love all the David Attenborough series and have most of them. My favourites would be Life of Birds and Blue Planet. I did really enjoy Life in the Freezer, which is quite a few years old now. And Planet Earth is simply stunning.
It's purely a gut feeling, but I have a sense that the tone and pacing of these programmes is changing, maybe to suit a more modern audience. I don't think David Attenborough has changed as such. I do like the fact that he is much more open about addressing some of the unpleasant aspects of human impacts on the planet and its life. I think he said he used to prefer to steer away from voicing his opinions, but is quite happy to now. I'm glad about that. If anyone can help people build understanding, and perhaps even change their behaviour, it's him. Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 8 2013, 12:27am

Post #24 of 41 (92 views)
Shortcut
I loved it! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
On a side note did anyone (im thinking you Daniel especially) watch The Polar Bear Family and Me? That scene where he was in the little clear plastic box was truly incredible - never seen anything like it before, stunning.

The cage looked top flimsy - how on earth did health and safety agreed to the making of that documentary? Tongue I'm surprised the bear gave up as well.

I didn't like the ending - I think they were gently warning us that one of them (the cubs) does die. I will definitely be watching the next one tomorrow night.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jan 8 2013, 4:13am

Post #25 of 41 (109 views)
Shortcut
The Dark Knight Rises... [In reply to] Can't Post

I finally saw this one. I .liked it. I thought it was a pretty solid flick. However, I expected much more the 'monster' Bane than the intellectual Bane. It is too bad that this is the last of the Nolan Batman movies, at least for now anyway. It is a good trilogy in my mind, I would most certainly take part in a Nolan-Batman-Marathon......

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

www.onesecondleft.com
@RDon1secleft
http://donryfetor.blogspot.com/
@DonryFetor

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.