Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
So who is the definitive hobbit?

dungolfin
The Shire

Jan 7 2013, 11:30am

Views: 1036
Shortcut
So who is the definitive hobbit? Can't Post

Probably been discussed before but I can't be bothered looking.

For me Martin Freeman was superb and nailed the role in a way that I never felt with Elijah Wood. He just feels more 'hobbity'. He definitely puts more physical characterisation into the role with a range of facial expressions and mannerisms that help make Bilbo, for me, more enjoyable to watch.

Wood's Frodo on the other hand is to my mind quite flat by comparison. I always felt watching the LOTR trilogy that Frodo was a hobbit of few words and many pained expressions which I found quite tiresome and that's how I remember the character.

Of course we've only seen one Freeman performance so far and It'll be interesting to see how the character changes but I'm looking forward to it.

Subject User Time
So who is the definitive hobbit? dungolfin Send a private message to dungolfin Jan 7 2013, 11:30am
    I love all the Hobbits Valandil ed Imladris Send a private message to Valandil ed Imladris Jan 7 2013, 11:34am
        I hadn't considered Sam.... dungolfin Send a private message to dungolfin Jan 7 2013, 11:43am
    It's: Bilbo, Bilbo! Bilbo Baggins! The bravest little hobbit of them all! Xanaseb Send a private message to Xanaseb Jan 7 2013, 11:37am
    It's hard to judge when Freeman has only been in one film. / DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Jan 7 2013, 11:38am
        So far Freeman Kullervo Send a private message to Kullervo Jan 7 2013, 12:04pm
    I agree completely pulpfiction16 Send a private message to pulpfiction16 Jan 7 2013, 12:22pm
    bill nighy jimmyfenn Send a private message to jimmyfenn Jan 7 2013, 12:40pm
    Frodo had elvish qualities lyndomiel Send a private message to lyndomiel Jan 7 2013, 1:19pm
        "My dear Frodo" was meant to show PJ's love for Elijah's work.// Plurmo Send a private message to Plurmo Jan 7 2013, 2:40pm
    Orson Bean. // N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Jan 7 2013, 1:33pm
    I'm not yet sold on Bilbo stoutfiles Send a private message to stoutfiles Jan 7 2013, 1:45pm
        Interesting Kullervo Send a private message to Kullervo Jan 7 2013, 2:24pm
            Exactly my thoughts Yva Send a private message to Yva Jan 7 2013, 3:17pm
            Billy and Martin elpana Send a private message to elpana Jan 7 2013, 5:54pm
        I'm with you on Freeman's over-the-top performance Arthael Send a private message to Arthael Jan 7 2013, 4:39pm
            From comments MF has made imin Send a private message to imin Jan 7 2013, 4:42pm
                Makes sense Arthael Send a private message to Arthael Jan 7 2013, 4:48pm
                Which is exactly... Eleniel Send a private message to Eleniel Jan 7 2013, 4:58pm
            60 years Scourge of the Stoors Send a private message to Scourge of the Stoors Jan 7 2013, 6:52pm
    Freeman or Astin? arithmancer Send a private message to arithmancer Jan 7 2013, 2:28pm
    I don't see how you can have a definitive hobbit.... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Jan 7 2013, 3:36pm
        A Hobbit is???? MasterOrc Send a private message to MasterOrc Jan 7 2013, 5:13pm
    Hobbits! Bumblingidiot Send a private message to Bumblingidiot Jan 7 2013, 7:03pm
        Bill Nighy and Ian Holm are the real voices of Sam and Frodo... dungolfin Send a private message to dungolfin Jan 7 2013, 9:47pm
    sméagol Avanti Send a private message to Avanti Jan 9 2013, 8:46pm
    flat, huh? rakshi Send a private message to rakshi Jan 9 2013, 11:12pm
    They're in different roles so you cannot compare... elentari3018 Send a private message to elentari3018 Jan 10 2013, 3:19am
    There's not just one for me :) grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jan 10 2013, 11:25am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.