Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Is this Arwen? (May have been part of previous SCOD discussion)

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 7 2013, 7:53am

Post #1 of 19 (857 views)
Shortcut
Is this Arwen? (May have been part of previous SCOD discussion) Can't Post

While watching FOTR the other day, I noticed this Elf riding towards Rivendell (link to picture). It's not the first time I've noticed her/him, but is it supposed to be Arwen? Given she rides a white horse, and has the same cape-thing, it's easy to make that assumption. But where has she been? If it isn't her, who is it? Perhaps it's Glorfindel! And where have they been?

(Has it ever been a SCOD?)

Speculate away. Smile

dungolfin
The Shire

Jan 7 2013, 1:11pm

Post #2 of 19 (398 views)
Shortcut
I assumed it was Arwen too... [In reply to] Can't Post

I always thought that maybe she had been out looking for the fellowship. Or maybe it's just to give scale to the whole scene simply illustrating that the path is narrow and difficult to follow.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 7 2013, 2:06pm

Post #3 of 19 (381 views)
Shortcut
It's a beautiful shot [In reply to] Can't Post

The Fellowship hasn't been created at this point, so it can't be then. Perhaps she was with Aragorn?

Smile

I can't wait for official screencaps from AUJ to come through. There's a shot of Rivendell from the DVD Screener that is in almost exactly the same location, but Rivendell is completely different.

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Jan 7 2013, 2:08pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 7 2013, 4:53pm

Post #4 of 19 (346 views)
Shortcut
I never thought it was Arwen [In reply to] Can't Post

although I suppose it could be.

To put the scene in context, this comes just after we see Frodo waking up and just before we see him up and about. All four Hobbits are in Rivendell and one can presume Aragorn is, as well. I guess she could be with Aragorn but that seems like overthinking it. It's just an establishing shot, imo, and - as dungolfin suggested - to provide a sense of scale and a sense of how Rivendell is perched on a, well.. rivened dell.

You can track some of the past SCODs here:
http://mathom-house.net/...TheDayCollectedLinks

From that collection of links, it has not been discussed. Those are maintained by Peredhil lover and they may not be up to date.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Jan 7 2013, 4:56pm)

RangerLady23
Lorien

Jan 7 2013, 9:12pm

Post #5 of 19 (340 views)
Shortcut
Arwen or no? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey! I've always thought that too and whether it really is or not I like to think so!

xMb
The Shire

Jan 7 2013, 11:40pm

Post #6 of 19 (305 views)
Shortcut
I always thought.. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was Legolas?

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 7 2013, 11:44pm

Post #7 of 19 (307 views)
Shortcut
I hadn't thought of Legolas [In reply to] Can't Post

He also arrives on a white horse, so yes, he could also be the mystery elf.

Smile

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jan 7 2013, 11:59pm

Post #8 of 19 (355 views)
Shortcut
I don't think it's Legolas [In reply to] Can't Post

He wears a completely different cloak when he arrives. I think it's far more likely it's just random elf guard #4 in an establishing shot.

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 8 2013, 7:20am

Post #9 of 19 (347 views)
Shortcut
I always assumed it was Boromir... [In reply to] Can't Post

... for no particular reason. My assumption is obviously incorrect.

Elessar
Valinor

Jan 8 2013, 2:25pm

Post #10 of 19 (254 views)
Shortcut
Always thought it was Arwen myself [In reply to] Can't Post

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 8 2013, 5:59pm

Post #11 of 19 (227 views)
Shortcut
I never made that connection before... [In reply to] Can't Post

It could be they intended some other 'return to Rivendell' after the flight to the ford, and Frodo's collapse.

The cape and horse seem similar to what she wears when she's leaving Rivendell in TTT and turns back, etc.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jan 8 2013, 6:11pm

Post #12 of 19 (226 views)
Shortcut
There appears to be a bow coming out under the cape [In reply to] Can't Post

So I don't think it's Arwen. Or if it is, it's probably a remnant of XenArwen.

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

Loresilme
Valinor

Jan 8 2013, 6:14pm

Post #13 of 19 (241 views)
Shortcut
It's possible it's Arwen - see costume links inside [In reply to] Can't Post

Here are a few shots of Arwen in a very dark, midnight blue outfit that could possibly be what's shown in that Rivendell screenshot, even though in that screenshot it looks black.

http://www.costumersguide.com/arwen/narsil7.jpg

http://scrapbook.theonering.net/scrapbook/view/11577

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 8 2013, 6:15pm

Post #14 of 19 (228 views)
Shortcut
Although Legolas is wearing a different cosutme, it does match his bow. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jan 8 2013, 6:20pm

Post #15 of 19 (253 views)
Shortcut
The bow [In reply to] Can't Post

It's true, but then, it's just a bow. Anyone could have one, and it's not like you can see much of it to tell if it's actually Legolas's.

I think it's not meant to be anyone in particular anymore. Maybe at one point it was XenArwen, like I said, but not anymore.

Buchanicus
Lorien

Jan 12 2013, 8:30pm

Post #16 of 19 (169 views)
Shortcut
I always thought it was just an unnamed Elf [In reply to] Can't Post

Thinking that it's suppose to be someone specific, especially a main character, kind of shrinks the world for me.

TORn member formally known as ryan1976.

alienorchid
Lorien

Jan 13 2013, 1:14pm

Post #17 of 19 (191 views)
Shortcut
I just thought it was a random elf of Rivendell [In reply to] Can't Post

but I also considered that it might be some unnamed elf who has come for the Council.

I like to think it is just a random elf, though, because it allows my imagination to run wild - what might their name be? Is it a male or female? What are their favourite past times? etc. :)

sevilodorf
Gondor

Jan 13 2013, 5:35pm

Post #18 of 19 (156 views)
Shortcut
My thoughts as well// [In reply to] Can't Post

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

weaver
Half-elven

Jan 17 2013, 12:35am

Post #19 of 19 (181 views)
Shortcut
Reminds me of that later shot of Elrond in his hooded cape on horseback.... [In reply to] Can't Post

There's not an image of it in the screencap library, but there is that one shot of a person in a hooded cape riding a white horse (I think it's white!) up the mountain to Theoden's camp, and then we find out it's Elrond later.

I don't think these shots were meant to be bookends or anything, it's just an association that I thought of so I thought I'd throw it out there...

In this Rivendell shot, Arwen has just saved Frodo and Elrond has just healed him and Legolas hasn't arrived yet. So I vote for "random elf", and perhaps a sentry or guard of sorts, watching the perimeter/borders -- it would be natural to double the guard after Frodo and company show up with news that the Nazgul are out and about and causing trouble...

Weaver

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.