Local time

FlyingSerkis
Rivendell

Jan 6 2013, 1:34pm

Post #1 of 7 (298 views)
Shortcut
Local time Can't Post

Hi, this is a really silly/insignificant issue Blush Angelic

I live in the UK, so my time zone is GMT. The times on all of the posts on the board are in GMT for me, so that is fine. However, when I click on my user profile, under "local time", it says a time which is 7 hours behind.

This doesn't have any effect on me at all, but I thought I should point out this discrepancy, as I can't comprehend how it could have come about. Smile

Then Manwė and Yavanna parted for that time, and Yavanna returned to Aulė; and he was in his smithy, pouring molten metal into a mould. 'Eru is bountiful,' she said. 'Now let thy children beware! For there shall walk a power in the forests whose wrath they will arouse at their peril.'

'Nonetheless they will have need of wood,' said Aulė, and he went on with his smith-work.

Altaira
Superuser

Jan 6 2013, 5:03pm

Post #2 of 7 (269 views)
Shortcut
It's a glitch in the matrix [In reply to] Can't Post

or, rather, the board software. We noticed it when we set up these new boards (they went live in Feb 2007). If we fixed the time stamp in the profile, the time stamp in posts was off, and vice-versa. Since people view posts much more often than they view their profile, we decided to make the time stamp in posts the correct one at the expense of the time-stamp in your profile.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

FlyingSerkis
Rivendell

Jan 6 2013, 5:56pm

Post #3 of 7 (228 views)
Shortcut
Ok, cheers [In reply to] Can't Post

How funny CrazySmile

Then Manwė and Yavanna parted for that time, and Yavanna returned to Aulė; and he was in his smithy, pouring molten metal into a mould. 'Eru is bountiful,' she said. 'Now let thy children beware! For there shall walk a power in the forests whose wrath they will arouse at their peril.'

'Nonetheless they will have need of wood,' said Aulė, and he went on with his smith-work.

Ardamķrė
Valinor

Jan 6 2013, 7:37pm

Post #4 of 7 (221 views)
Shortcut
So how much do we need to off set our time? // [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

Altaira
Superuser

Jan 6 2013, 9:42pm

Post #5 of 7 (210 views)
Shortcut
From the TORn FAQ on the Welcome Board [In reply to] Can't Post

1.14 How do I set the board to reflect my time zone? The TORn message board’s default time is set to Greenwich Mean Time (GMT). To set the boards to reflect you time zone, click on the [Edit Profile] icon at the top of the board, then click on [User Profile]. Scroll down to the last option: “Time Offset (in hours).” If your time zone is ahead of GMT (London, depending on daylight savings time), enter the number of hours you are ahead of GMT as a positive number. If your time zone is behind GMT, enter the number of hours you are behind as a negative number. For example, if you live in New York, you would enter a -5; Auckland, a 13 and Los Angeles, a -8. Please note that these offsets will change when your time zone goes on and off daylight savings time. For help in determining your offset, go the World Clock on timeanddate.com, and or Google “Time Zones.”

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Ardamķrė
Valinor

Jan 6 2013, 10:06pm

Post #6 of 7 (229 views)
Shortcut
Let me rephrase [In reply to] Can't Post

I know what my timezone is. It's GMT -5. But how do I get it to reflect that time on the posts rather than on my profile. I don't care what the profile says, but I'd like my posts to say the right thing. You said it's a vice-versa thing. My profile is already set to -5, but how much more do I need to off set it to make it accurate?

I hope that made sense.

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

Ardamķrė
Valinor

Jan 7 2013, 12:00am

Post #7 of 7 (287 views)
Shortcut
OK maybe I'm being daft [In reply to] Can't Post

But I've checked out mine, and it seems to be accurate for both. So what's the vice-versa thing about? Crazy

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.