Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Joy, Health, Love, and Peace... Be all here in this place

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 5 2013, 5:34pm

Post #1 of 25 (259 views)
Shortcut
Joy, Health, Love, and Peace... Be all here in this place Can't Post

so starts the song, "The Wren," alternately known as "The King," which ends with:
Old Christmas is past, Twelfth Night is the last, And we bid you adieu, great joy to the new.

Twelfth Night is either Jan 5 or 6, depending on how you see things. Wikipedia says,

There is some confusion these days, however, as to which night is Twelfth Night: modern practice is often to regard the night of Epiphany itself (sixth of January) to be Twelfth Night. The older tradition of Twelfth Night being the 5 January stems from the medieval practice of the day beginning at sunset, rather than at midnight as it does now. Thus Twelfth Night falls on 5 January, ahead of Twelfth Day on the 6th.

But surely the traditions surrounding the wren at Christmas time are ancient. :-)

And, no matter whether you celebrate Twelfth Night on the evening of the 5 and The Twelfth Day of Christmas on the 6. Or The Twelfth Day of Christmas on the 6 and Twelfth Night on the evening of that day... it's the 5th in some our houses and the 6th in others.

I always feel it takes me about till Jan 5 to catch my breath from the holidays and start thinking about welcoming a 'new year'. So:
Joy, Health, Love, and Peace, be all here in this place. Old Christmas is past, Twelfth Night is the last, And we bid you adieu, great joy to the new.

I really love singing this with others. It has some lovely harmonies.
hear it by Steeleye Span here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_4lhU6q46Y

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Jan 5 2013, 5:35pm)

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 5 2013, 5:53pm

Post #2 of 25 (135 views)
Shortcut
Now that I have the Loreena McKennitt version in my ear, [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you, Magpie! For the great song and the wonderful post.

Great joy to you!

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - getting thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain by December 2012; and the same Hobbit and Wizard back to Bag End by December 2013

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jan 5 2013, 6:05pm

Post #3 of 25 (163 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a lovely sentiment, and a lovely song. I don't think much about Steeleye Span these days, but back when I had their records (you know, actual vinyl records) I listened until I had them memorized.

Cheers! Heart

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 5 2013, 6:51pm

Post #4 of 25 (131 views)
Shortcut
another great version is [In reply to] Can't Post

by Nowell Sing We Clear... although their tune is a little different than the one I'm used to singing.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/...n-King/dp/B002GGFYNO

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 5 2013, 6:55pm

Post #5 of 25 (144 views)
Shortcut
I came upon Steeleye Span way after everyone else [In reply to] Can't Post

so I was late to the game.

Discovering English traditional music was like coming home for me. It was like the home I didn't know I had left. I love it. (and I love all those quirky Brit/UK folk traditions) Of course, Steeleye Span does their own version of a lot of this. :-)

They were my gateway drug to Martin Carthy and the Watersons.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 5 2013, 9:00pm

Post #6 of 25 (118 views)
Shortcut
My Mum, bless her [In reply to] Can't Post

told me she felt very silly when someone corrected her after she referred to them as 'Steel Ice Band'. She had been mishearing the name for years.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 5 2013, 9:33pm

Post #7 of 25 (115 views)
Shortcut
lol... [In reply to] Can't Post

it does sound like that. And it make more sense than Steeleye Span.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 5 2013, 9:49pm

Post #8 of 25 (110 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I quite liked her version :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 6 2013, 3:56am

Post #9 of 25 (129 views)
Shortcut
Magpie, i do believe [In reply to] Can't Post

you have a delightful way to sum things up:).
I am wishful, very much so, the same for you.
I enjoyed the music as well, but i do not recall this group from my younger days though.
The wren song reminded me of a little happening just past. Mrs. sil and i were walking up the path through the very quiet wood in the cold and the only greeting we had of that event was a wren running/hopping up and down a red maple about 20-30ft away chirping it's little high pitched note tapping the bark about the tree for a frozen or dormant morsel. The little drama was a true delight.

The sun is indeed still low at noon, but it is out making everything sparkle. A little higher each day will bring us May:).

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 6 2013, 1:14pm

Post #10 of 25 (99 views)
Shortcut
You were greeted by the Wren! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a magical moment that must have been!

There is something peaceful about walking through wintering woods in the snow...a quietness that is found no other time of year, allowing for perfect clarity in listening to the chirping! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 6 2013, 1:29pm

Post #11 of 25 (127 views)
Shortcut
A Twelfthnight blessing! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you, Magpie! Smile

The holiday season is ended - although it always makes me a bit sad, to put the lights and decorations away, still now it's evident that the New Year is well underway, with the sun rising earlier and setting later.

And the Wren song has brought Loreena McKennitt's Mummer's Dance to mind - but that's getting a bit too advanced in the year! Laugh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jan 6 2013, 2:43pm

Post #12 of 25 (96 views)
Shortcut
I, of course, am most familiar with the Roberts and Barrand version of this. [In reply to] Can't Post

(That's the Nowell Sing We Clear version you linked to.) I really love wren songs, and this is among the most lovely. Thanks for bringing it to mind. It's playing beautifully in my head now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Jan 6 2013, 2:48pm)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jan 6 2013, 2:53pm

Post #13 of 25 (88 views)
Shortcut
I don't think it's really a different tune than the Steeley Span version. [In reply to] Can't Post

Tony Barrand often throws in some rather loud harmonies that overshadow the actual tune. There are several songs that I learned from Nowell Sing We Clear that I find out years later I've been singing "wrong", having focused on the harmony and not the melody. It happened with the Boar's Head carol and Reynardine and The Maid on the Shore, among others. When I find them elsewhere, I think "That's not the way I learned it" but when I sing the melody with what I thought I knew, they fit together.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jan 6 2013, 2:59pm

Post #14 of 25 (92 views)
Shortcut
Here's another of my favorite wren songs, also from Nowell Sing We Clear [In reply to] Can't Post

The Wren Boys' Song (lyrics)

Here's a sample of the recording. We really like to belt this one out at our house.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 6 2013, 3:12pm

Post #15 of 25 (95 views)
Shortcut
I like The Cutty Wren a lot [In reply to] Can't Post

lyrics

audio

You might be right about the melody for the Nowell Sing We Clear version of The King.

I've had the same problem with shape note singing - picking out the primary melody.

btw: I ran across a interview with Tony Barrand who said The King was his favorite carol ... or folk song, I forget which. :-)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jan 6 2013, 3:13pm

Post #16 of 25 (90 views)
Shortcut
I love the Cutty Wren too. I play it on my harp :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jan 6 2013, 3:14pm

Post #17 of 25 (124 views)
Shortcut
The first wren song I ever learned was about a rat. [In reply to] Can't Post

When I was a kid we had a Burl Ives record with this song on it: Billy Barlow. It wasn't until thirty years later that I first heard about wren songs and realized that Billy Barlow was an American version of the Cutty Wren. Except that Billy and his friends Risky Rob, Robin, Bob, Dan'l and Joe are hunting a rat! Apparently it was misheard as it went across the Atlantic.

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Jan 6 2013, 3:16pm)

Annael
Half-elven

Jan 6 2013, 4:19pm

Post #18 of 25 (106 views)
Shortcut
Love and Happiness [In reply to] Can't Post

here's my song for all of you. I'll be singing it at church soon, with Bill-of-the-Awesome-Bass-Voice.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 6 2013, 4:34pm

Post #19 of 25 (86 views)
Shortcut
wow, they sure 'Americanized' that song, didn't they. :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I always enjoy tracking stories and tunes like this.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 6 2013, 4:35pm

Post #20 of 25 (109 views)
Shortcut
I really love Emmy Lou // [In reply to] Can't Post

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 6 2013, 5:59pm

Post #21 of 25 (105 views)
Shortcut
Oooo, we had a wren get inside the house on Jan 5th! [In reply to] Can't Post

We were all over at Mr. Eruvande's brother's house watching the Cotton Bowl game. My b.i.l. opened the front door and a wren flew in from the porch. Much hilarity ensued for the next 15-20 minutes as we tried to help the little guy find his way out again. High ceilings are not helpful in this situation. So I guess you could say we had our own "wren hunt". Laugh

Happy New Year!

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jan 7 2013, 4:28am

Post #22 of 25 (72 views)
Shortcut
I recorded my version of Cutty Wren to share with you. [In reply to] Can't Post

me playing the Cutty Wren

Patty
Immortal

Jan 7 2013, 4:41am

Post #23 of 25 (70 views)
Shortcut
And the same to you, Magpie./ [In reply to] Can't Post

Permanent address: Into the West

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 7 2013, 4:45am

Post #24 of 25 (82 views)
Shortcut
It sounds so much prettier... [In reply to] Can't Post

on the harp then when you have all those male voices kind of grunting out the verses, doesn't it?

It really is a lovely tune. Thanks for playing it for us.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jan 7 2013, 4:57am

Post #25 of 25 (92 views)
Shortcut
Apparently it's traditional to bang staves on the ground while singing it. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds very dwarvish. But the harp mellows out everything.

By the way, did you hear the silly harp version I did of the Rankin Bass Hobbit songs? NE Brigand made a satirical suggestion that I should play 'Fifteen Birds in Five Fir Trees' and I threw it together along with a few other tunes. My daughter commented that those goblin songs didn't sound nearly as menacing when played on a harp. Me playing silly stuff on the harp

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.