Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
on wargs

swordwhale
Gondor

Jan 6 2013, 5:48am

Views: 497
Shortcut
on wargs Can't Post

While I'll have to run the darn thing slo-mo through a DVD player to nitpick the CG, I found myself making a few observations about the wargs.

1. Whattheheck are those things? Tolkien was writing in the beginning of the 20th century, The Big Bad Wolf was a viable stereotype. Now, we see Wolf as more of a symbol of how we've wreaked havoc on the natural world, so orcs must ride wargs, not wolves of any sort. They sort of resemble hyenas (the new bad guys, apparently, since Lion King)... but not quite. Look up a prehistoric mammal called Andrewsarchus (totally sounds like Andy Serkis). 6' at the shoulder, meter long head, big pointy teeth, carnivore, or perhaps scavenger too. Oh wait, it had hooves (where the claws would be on a canine).

And then there's the bridle issue.
In LOTR (book) we have Legolas tossing a perfectly good saddle and bridle onto the plains of Rohan because "I need them not.." and riding off to war with a bow and an armoured Dwarf bouncing at his back on a naked horse. "For such is the Elvish way with all good beasts" quotes the Professor. In the Hobbit film, we have Thranduil astride a megaloceros, with a bridle (the durn thing's CG, so he doesn't have the "I'm on a real horse with no bridle" issue Orlando Bloom would have had in LOTR)... and orcs riding wargs with none... no bridles, no elephant pick thingies, no bullwhips... just orcs on nekkid wargs. What are they using, telepathy??? The orcish way with all bad beasties...

Go outside and play...

Subject User Time
on wargs swordwhale Send a private message to swordwhale Jan 6 2013, 5:48am
    Wargs are smarter than horses Vaire Send a private message to Vaire Jan 6 2013, 6:01am
        warg-speak swordwhale Send a private message to swordwhale Jan 6 2013, 7:16am
            Also, the Wargs act indpendently of the Orcs. Bladerunner Send a private message to Bladerunner Jan 6 2013, 4:01pm
        Exactly. flameofudun Send a private message to flameofudun Jan 7 2013, 3:33am
    "warg" came from a word that meant both wolf and outlaw Entwife Wandlimb Send a private message to Entwife Wandlimb Jan 6 2013, 4:15pm
        great insights folks! swordwhale Send a private message to swordwhale Jan 6 2013, 5:16pm
            Send out your Warg riders! Neekloz Brownbeard Send a private message to Neekloz Brownbeard Jan 6 2013, 7:34pm
                saddles... swordwhale Send a private message to swordwhale Jan 7 2013, 4:46am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.