Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Which movie do you prefer: Hobbit or LOTR?
Poll: Which movie do you prefer: Hobbit or LOTR?
The Hobbit (AUJ)
The Lord of the Rings
I like them equally
I didn't like either and don't like polls.
View Results (93 votes)

CuriousG
Valinor

Jan 6 2013, 5:46am

Post #1 of 22 (1196 views)
Shortcut
Which movie do you prefer: Hobbit or LOTR? Can't Post

From the enthusiastic reception to The Hobbit, I'm wondering if people are enjoying it even more than the LOTR movies. Or is it just that fans of the LOTR movies are happy to return to Middle-earth and hobbitry?

I don't think it was predestined, but my movie preference has followed my book preference. Reading The Hobbit once or twice was enough for me. I liked it, but didn't feel the need to go back, and I think the same of the movie. I've reread the trilogy and rewatched the trilogy movies repeatedly.

Maybe I should add this question: what did The Hobbit movie do better than the LOTR movies? (if anything)

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jan 6 2013, 9:21am

Post #2 of 22 (590 views)
Shortcut
I like them equally [In reply to] Can't Post

But it depends which ones you're talking about-FotR and AUJ are my tied favourites followed by RotK and TTT.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 6 2013, 10:16am

Post #3 of 22 (615 views)
Shortcut
I have to vote LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

I always preferred the story, and have had 10+ years to love the films. I've only seen AUJ 8 times ... ask me in 10 years time. Wink

dubulous
Rohan

Jan 6 2013, 1:02pm

Post #4 of 22 (572 views)
Shortcut
Equally [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit might be slightly better strictly as a movie, but LOTR as a story is in a league of its own (and of course also amazing as movies) so I'll just call it a tie for now.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 6 2013, 2:02pm

Post #5 of 22 (582 views)
Shortcut
It seems a bit unfair to judge one 'story' vs one-third of a 'story' // [In reply to] Can't Post

sevilodorf
Gondor

Jan 6 2013, 3:29pm

Post #6 of 22 (605 views)
Shortcut
Equally though [In reply to] Can't Post

I will say that I like the movie version of The Hobbit better than the book version, while I like the book version of LOTR a bit more than I like the movie version. Though I like both AUJ and all LOTR movies better than just about any movie I've ever seen. (I do wish someone would go back and do Gone With the Wind in a multi movie series and pull in some of the other bits and pieces from the book)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jan 6 2013, 8:11pm

Post #7 of 22 (581 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

It might be because The Hobbit holds such a dear place in my heart that I just couldn't not agree with the multitude of changes in the film.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jan 7 2013, 3:57am

Post #8 of 22 (529 views)
Shortcut
LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

So far anyway.....I think it has to do with the timing. I am not as 'blown away' with The Hobbit movie as I was with LOTR. I am not entirely sure if The Hobbit would have blown me away as much had it been released back in the day before LOTR. Still making my mind up on how much I like The Hobbit really.

Delrond
Rohan

Jan 7 2013, 4:52pm

Post #9 of 22 (529 views)
Shortcut
Visually, [In reply to] Can't Post

I found The Hobbit more appealing. I have watched it in 2D and IMAX 3D and I can say that it was much more enjoyable during the latter viewing. Having said that, FOTR broke new ground for me being the first credible silver screen sojourn through Middle-Earth. Seeing ME come to life for the first time cannot be duplicated. For this reason, as well as (in my opinion) LOTR being a much richer and more developed story, I chose LOTR. Smile

CuriousG
Valinor

Jan 7 2013, 4:57pm

Post #10 of 22 (524 views)
Shortcut
How would we react to The Hobbit if it had been first? [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with you that FOTR broke new ground for all of us and helped set up the other movies, including The Hobbit. For non-Tolkien fans who watch the movies, if they've seen LOTR first, I think it sets up the whole Hobbit scenario very well, and allows the movie to skip over or only briefly cover a lot of things that it can safely assume that viewers already know.

I say all that because I'm not sure how much LOTR prejudices our views. If The Hobbit had been first, would that have been the favorite of most for being the ground-breaker? Not sure.

Delrond
Rohan

Jan 7 2013, 5:12pm

Post #11 of 22 (506 views)
Shortcut
Can't say for sure, [In reply to] Can't Post

but I do agree that LOTR prejudices my view - to what degree, I really don't know. Regarding the scenario where TH was filmed first, and assuming it was filmed at the time of LOTR, then I would almost certainly feel the affection for TH breaking new ground rather than FOTR. However, what would be lost (to me) was the stunning visuals that 11+ years afforded the production of TH in 2012. In addition, I still feel that LOTR is a more developed story and the delay of 11 years in its filming would have been a sight to behold. We will never know, but to me, LOTR still comes out on top.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jan 7 2013, 5:28pm

Post #12 of 22 (512 views)
Shortcut
It's a bit premature to ask... [In reply to] Can't Post

...as only 1/3 of The Hobbit has been released!

Sam20
Lorien

Jan 8 2013, 12:36am

Post #13 of 22 (531 views)
Shortcut
The hobbit and LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with Otaku-Sampai. I think it's a bit early to respond as only the first of 3 part has just been released. It's hard to give a clear and defenitive answser from now. It may be easier to compare the AUJ with FOTR (and not the entire LOTR trilogy) as it stands for the moment.

(This post was edited by sam90 on Jan 8 2013, 12:38am)

Silmaril
Lorien

Jan 8 2013, 4:05pm

Post #14 of 22 (487 views)
Shortcut
Time Will Tell! [In reply to] Can't Post

it is too soon to judge about that. ask in 5-10 years again Wink

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 8 2013, 6:20pm

Post #15 of 22 (501 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit holds a strange fascination for me. [In reply to] Can't Post

As much as I liked the trilogy, I find that I cannot see The Hobbit enough. My only explanation is that I find the characters more compelling than LOTR. Here they are more fully formed, have some more backstory, and are more "personal" in their motivations.

Patty
Immortal

Jan 8 2013, 7:07pm

Post #16 of 22 (484 views)
Shortcut
I'll always be a Lord of the Rings gal... [In reply to] Can't Post

and I really could do without the snot in AUJ.

Loresilme
Valinor

Jan 10 2013, 1:06am

Post #17 of 22 (454 views)
Shortcut
Option #5: Too early to tell :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

imin
Valinor

Jan 10 2013, 1:49am

Post #18 of 22 (458 views)
Shortcut
The lord of the rings [In reply to] Can't Post

Whether that be taking the lotr as a whole or on a film by film basis.

For me FOTR and ROTK are way better than AUJ. the TTT though, not so much and i think it is getting on for equal with it.

My opinion may change if the next two are better.

The White Wizard
The Shire

Feb 9 2013, 2:43pm

Post #19 of 22 (476 views)
Shortcut
LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

I would have to vote for LOTR. It has a more intricate plotline and I like the characters in LOTR more than the ones AUJ. Not to take anything away from AUJ, though. It too is a great movie with likeable characters and a good plot, but I think LOTR is just better in both categories.

silneldor
Half-elven

Mar 19 2013, 2:46am

Post #20 of 22 (393 views)
Shortcut
I remember this poll but the limited choices [In reply to] Can't Post

had me hesitating and then i forgot to get back to it. Even though i am still feeling the same on the choices, having maybe picked one, i would like to relate this now:

I was listening to the 2nd disk of TH soundtrack in my office/workout room (tight it is in there), having it a bit loud because i was on my bicycle mag-trainer which has a good whirring sound.

Having finished i hopped off the bike and went into the into the living room and my son (having got back from the 'Y and the crazed hour spinning class there) found the TT on TNT and i sat down to watch and cool down before dinner. Suddenly i realized that both tracks were doing a duet, of sorts and it was really interesting.

It was when the 'Song of the Lonely Mountain was playing the same time as the Helm's Deep theme, i thought of starting a poll relating this comparison but remembered our good man CuriousG had one out already so to respect him (although this may never be a detected sound in the forest) i wanted to voice what i felt anyway for fun, in case Radagast may be peeping out within ear shot.

I'd say that i dearly love the lotr's sound track and am very emotionally attached to it over the years. Listening to TH soundtrack a few times now, i know i like it and it is still growing on me. I know much is yet to reveal itself with the full dimension of Howard's divine work with the next two films and extended versions, i can see a lasting emotional connection to TH score as well.

In the end and with more time there may be an indication as to which one i would have a preference, but just maybe i will come to realize that together they compliment each other grandly and should just be considered 'more than the sum of their parts' , if i may.

For together they may form a very rich organic and spiritual tapestry of M-e where one would just be incomplete without the other. Time will tell:)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 1 2013, 10:53pm

Post #21 of 22 (361 views)
Shortcut
I liked AUJ, i did, [In reply to] Can't Post

but it just doesn't measure up to any of the LotR films. I am hopeful, though, that either (or both) DoS or TaBA will bring The Hobbit up to LotR's standard.

CuriousG
Valinor

Apr 3 2013, 2:00pm

Post #22 of 22 (655 views)
Shortcut
My thoughts exactly. I'm hopeful too.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.