Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Is the quality of the sound/music dependent on the version or the theatre.

mefansmum
Rivendell

Jan 6 2013, 4:46am

Post #1 of 16 (368 views)
Shortcut
Is the quality of the sound/music dependent on the version or the theatre. Can't Post

I found the sound in the 3DHFR showing much better than the 2D version I went to but the 3D viewing was in a more modern and I think pretty much state of the art cinema.

If I saw a 2D version in a reallynew cinema, would the sound have been as good as the 3DHFR version?

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jan 6 2013, 4:53am

Post #2 of 16 (214 views)
Shortcut
Since The Hobbit is an all digital presentation, [In reply to] Can't Post

any variance will almost always be with the theater, which could have a brand new, state of the art sound system, or a twenty year old, seen-better-days sound system.

mefansmum
Rivendell

Jan 6 2013, 4:59am

Post #3 of 16 (193 views)
Shortcut
thanks for that and did anyone else [In reply to] Can't Post

notice any differences or did I just pick out an older sound system against the odds.

MasterOrc
Rivendell

Jan 6 2013, 5:23am

Post #4 of 16 (178 views)
Shortcut
yes...most [In reply to] Can't Post

definitely. I've seen the movie 9 times and depending on the theater the sound was very inconsistent.

Elessar
Valinor

Jan 6 2013, 5:25am

Post #5 of 16 (178 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

One of my local amc had an issue a day I saw it in 2D. If someone off screen was talking they sounded muffled. So it can make a huge difference.

mefansmum
Rivendell

Jan 6 2013, 8:11am

Post #6 of 16 (168 views)
Shortcut
I found Gollum [In reply to] Can't Post

a bit hard to understand a couple of times in my 2D experience.

I am going to 2D and 3DHFR again to confirm my impressions of the differences between them but next time I am aiming to choose a better 2D cinema.

After that, unless my opinion of the two versions changes, it will be 3DHFR by choice.

(This post was edited by mefansmum on Jan 6 2013, 8:16am)

Moahunter
Rohan

Jan 6 2013, 9:21am

Post #7 of 16 (147 views)
Shortcut
My first viewing had Dolby Atmos sound [In reply to] Can't Post

and there were sections where the music and FX drowned parts of the dialogue. Could mean the theatre still hadn't got the system tweaked properly, it was the first public screening.
Saw it again in a different cinema today, no Dolby Atmos, no sound problems.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 6 2013, 10:26am

Post #8 of 16 (140 views)
Shortcut
Saruman was really quiet in my second viewing [In reply to] Can't Post

And that was in 2D. But the rest of the sound was fine. I wonder if something happened around half way through?

mefansmum
Rivendell

Jan 6 2013, 1:14pm

Post #9 of 16 (108 views)
Shortcut
How do you know it is a Dolby Atmos screening. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks to everyone for the responses.

I love good sound but as you may have gathered, I am not very technically savvy and I am wondering how I would know my cinema has Dolby Atmos.

Can I expect it is more likely to be Dolby Atmos at a cinema that can do 3DHFR because it will be a newer fitted out cinema or is there just no relationship between the visual and sound system at all?

My 3D cinema's web page has symbols that tell me the session is 'xtreme screen' and 'HFR' and that is all. If it was Dolby Atmos, would it have a symbol for that as well? I have found a cinema with HFR only and no 'Xtreme screen', so maybe 'Xtreme screen' relates to sound?

(This post was edited by mefansmum on Jan 6 2013, 1:15pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 6 2013, 1:20pm

Post #10 of 16 (107 views)
Shortcut
You can check to see if your cinema is on TORn's list [In reply to] Can't Post

Link. They've listed all theatres showing AUJ in HFR 3D, IMAX 3D, IMAX and Dolby Atmos.

Smile

mefansmum
Rivendell

Jan 6 2013, 3:30pm

Post #11 of 16 (89 views)
Shortcut
My closest cinema [In reply to] Can't Post

is on that list and the 3DHFR one I went to is not.. I did not go to my nearest one because parking is not so good but I shall give it a go so thanks for that information.

Unlike the cinema chain I have been to, I can't find anything on this cinema chain's website to indicate, apart from 2 and 3D, exactly what you will get at whatever session you select. I can't even detect a HFR session from their information. Frown

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 6 2013, 3:36pm

Post #12 of 16 (91 views)
Shortcut
If it is a chain cinema [In reply to] Can't Post

Ring up their headquarters (or email), and they should be able to tell you exactly where and when which screening will be 3D HFR & Dolby Atmos. From experience, I wouldn't ring the actual cinema (unless you have no other choice). They (the people that work their) tend to not know about these things.

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Jan 6 2013, 3:36pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 6 2013, 5:09pm

Post #13 of 16 (83 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure what resources you have for looking at showings. [In reply to] Can't Post

I used the google interface. That is, I typed in "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" into a google search.

the first hit that comes up is for theater showings in my area (since I let Google have its way with me and remember where I'm located).

When I click on +Show more theaters and then See all theaters, it shows me the different formats available in my area:

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey in 3D
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey An IMAX 3D Experience
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey in HFR 3D

And under each format option, there are theaters listed that show it in that option.

Or, I can click on a theater which shows me all movies showing at that theater. The listings will detail the format for TH:AUJ.

So, for Southdale AMC, I can choose between:
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey An IMAX 3D Experience
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey in HFR 3D

Now, google undoubtedly gets this info from the theaters themselves so if the theaters near you aren't talking to google, then this info may not be available. But it's worth a try if you haven't gone through this route yet.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Rane
Bree

Jan 6 2013, 5:36pm

Post #14 of 16 (78 views)
Shortcut
It's the movie theater [In reply to] Can't Post

We have an AMC and the sound is great. There's another cheaper theater and the sound is muffled. I don't think it has to do with 3D.

Photobucket

mefansmum
Rivendell

Jan 7 2013, 10:25am

Post #15 of 16 (45 views)
Shortcut
Dobly Atmos turned out to not be an option [In reply to] Can't Post

I took the list I was pointed to as being HFR and Dolby Atmos cinemas but when I actually looked inside the pdf, none of the cinemas in Australia were shown as having Dolby Atmos so I decided to go back to the HFR Xtreme screen cinema I went to before because I think it was as new as any available to me.

The sound was extremely good in any case and I liked the 3DHFR even more because I was even less aware of anything looking odd than I was in my first viewing.

Laguz
The Shire

Jan 9 2013, 1:53pm

Post #16 of 16 (52 views)
Shortcut
I've seen the film 5 times in 4 different theatres.. [In reply to] Can't Post

..and the only time I noticed a difference in sound was at one cinema (Where I saw The Hobbit in 2D and 3D HFR), at the point of Gollum's first introduction.
The sound of the Orc moaning and Gollum's hissing before he comes on screen, it sounded like it came from the back right of the cinema, and made me and my friend turn in that direction. Never happened in the other three cinemas for 2D and 3D IMAX showings, so I'm guessing it's more of the theatre than the version of the film :)

~Laguz~

Back in Action from over a year xD

(This post was edited by Laguz on Jan 9 2013, 1:55pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.