Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Saw it again, in 2D
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Glaurung63
Lorien

Jan 6 2013, 12:33am

Post #1 of 44 (1067 views)
Shortcut
Saw it again, in 2D Can't Post

As much as I liked the HFR 3D the second time I saw the movie, the third time in 2D felt better during the action scenes, as the pace seemed normal and I could see each sword thrust and where the orcs where hit. In the new format the action seemed sped up and my brain was distracted by the 3D. But the movie stands on its own in either format. I know all the changes made from the book, but by now I just go with them...When FOTR came out I was more freaked out by changes, but not so much anymore. And in 2D I focused on the score more and all the little mannerisms and character lines....I also love all the back history and connections to PJ's LOTR trilogy. I went to a 3pm showing and there were 60 people there! Including a group of special needs adults who laughed at the jokes. I teach teens with autism, some of whom are fans, and this made me happy, to see them out at the movies enjoying The Hobbit!

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 6 2013, 1:38am

Post #2 of 44 (443 views)
Shortcut
Went back today, too (6th time) [In reply to] Can't Post

But saw it again in HFR. I'm at the point it's the only way I want to see it. I just find it so, I don't know how else to describe it, shiny. Everything about it shimmers in that format.

Several dozen people in our theatre, many seemed like newbies. I think people are still checking out the new technology.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 6 2013, 1:39am

Post #3 of 44 (430 views)
Shortcut
I'm on my 8th viewing. [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the film. I really do. Evil

Ave Moria
Rivendell

Jan 6 2013, 1:39am

Post #4 of 44 (425 views)
Shortcut
I am going to see HFR for the first time tonight [In reply to] Can't Post

I cannot wait!! I have seen in once in 2d so far...

-In the Darkness, a torch we hold-

malla
Bree

Jan 6 2013, 1:46am

Post #5 of 44 (431 views)
Shortcut
HFR [In reply to] Can't Post

I am sorry to say that every theater, within about 100 mile radius of me, has pulled the HFR. I did go on Thursday, the last day my regular theater was showing it in that format, so at least I can say I saw it three times in HFR. Now I will have to settle for seeing it again in IMAX 3D....or maybe regular 3D. Crossing my fingers that I'll be able to go back tomorrow for viewing number 15. Do you think I like the movie???? Smile

Tenna' ento lye omenta,
Malla

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jan 6 2013, 1:58am

Post #6 of 44 (388 views)
Shortcut
On the speed of 3D [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw it first in 2D, and I'm glad I did, because I could just absorb everything.

The second time I saw it was in 3D (normal FR) and found it very distracting. Whenever something comes close to you / out of the screen (even just slightly out) it seemed choppy and like it was moving too fast for you to keep up with it.

That was solved when I saw it in HFR, everything smoothed out.

Having not seen 2D and 3D HFR without the regular 3D in between, it is hard for me to make a comparison, but I have some thoughts ramblings on why 3D HFR might seem faster.

Perhaps since we are seeing the entire 3D movement, we are seeing the full velocity of the objects, instead of the projected 2D movement. Something getting smaller/larger, though it is mapping the same movement as 3D movement away/toward you simply does not look as fast. And so that is true for all "slanted" movements. Anything that is not going flat against the screen is missing that movement when in 2D. Sure, we know what the 3D movement is when we are watching it in 2D (are brains are pretty good at that sort of thing, so long as there is something of known size to reference against) but the speed is not so apparent as in 3D.

As for the score, I found myself more able to focus on it during my third (3D HFR) viewing, but I expect that was due more to it being the third viewing than format. That being said, plain 3D was distracting to me and I wasn't able to focus on the score then, though I had seen the movie before.

..The land of long-forgotten name:
......no man may ever anchor near;
..No steering star his hope may aim,
......for nether Night its marches drear,
..And waters wide no sail may tame,
......with shores encircled dark and sheer.

..O! Haven where my heart would be!
......the waves beat upon thy bar
..For ever echo endlessly,
......when longing leads thy thought afar

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 6 2013, 2:07am

Post #7 of 44 (378 views)
Shortcut
Interested in your experience [In reply to] Can't Post

I would love it in any format, but HFR is great.

Still playing in a lot of theaters here that way, but I'm in a major metropolitan area so it should hold on awhile. I feel like I'm trying to see it a lot to tide me over until the Blu-ray comes out. Which will seem like in forever.

imin
Valinor

Jan 6 2013, 2:13am

Post #8 of 44 (381 views)
Shortcut
Just out of interest [In reply to] Can't Post

where would you rank it against the lotr films? Also do you think its better than the book and finally where does it rank in your all time fave films?

being nosey, lol.

ryouko
Lorien

Jan 6 2013, 2:22am

Post #9 of 44 (351 views)
Shortcut
You'll enjoy it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw it in HFR when I went the third time. I plan to see it again in this format on Wed. then I'll go back to regular 2D, because it's cheaper. that way I can see it a few more times before it leaves the theaters.

Kullervo
Rivendell

Jan 6 2013, 2:52am

Post #10 of 44 (348 views)
Shortcut
I've seen it twice [In reply to] Can't Post

in HFR 3D, and the first time I was once or twice distracted by the seemingly too fast movement. The second time there was no such issues and I absolutely loved every second of how it looked, (and especially the grand sweeping shots of the landscapes) and I was also able to get in to the story a lot more (most likely because I had no expectations anymore of how things should go about). I don't think I will ever go see another movie in 3D if it isn't in HFR. In 2D, however, I still think the 24fps will propably be my preferred choice.

Glaurung63
Lorien

Jan 6 2013, 3:11am

Post #11 of 44 (355 views)
Shortcut
People laughing... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think many people were watching for the first time, judging by the laughs.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Jan 6 2013, 3:11am

Post #12 of 44 (356 views)
Shortcut
7th viewing today, in IMAX 3D [In reply to] Can't Post

I wanted to have at least one viewing on IMAX (even if it isn't a "real" IMAX - we don't have one of those nearby). This was my 2nd 24fps 3D viewing, and it was enjoyable but when it comes to 3D, I definitely prefer HFR - it's just so much more immersive.

So that makes:

2D - 3
3D - 1
HFR 3D - 2
IMAX 3D - 1

I'd probably give the edge to 2D for my preference, just because of LotR nostalgia - but I really loved my 2 HFR viewings as well. Smile

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Jan 6 2013, 3:20am)

Glaurung63
Lorien

Jan 6 2013, 3:13am

Post #13 of 44 (366 views)
Shortcut
15!!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow! That is awesome, I thought 8 was great....

Glaurung63
Lorien

Jan 6 2013, 3:19am

Post #14 of 44 (335 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm...fav films.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, this ranks with FOTR..I think the trilogy will rank with LOTR...as favs....which is top five

Glaurung63
Lorien

Jan 6 2013, 3:21am

Post #15 of 44 (325 views)
Shortcut
Can 2D be in HFR?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Just wondering...and how would that look and feel....

Glaurung63
Lorien

Jan 6 2013, 3:23am

Post #16 of 44 (313 views)
Shortcut
Man, I am behind! [In reply to] Can't Post

I obviously need to go again!

Glaurung63
Lorien

Jan 6 2013, 3:35am

Post #17 of 44 (314 views)
Shortcut
Agreed...awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glaurung63
Lorien

Jan 6 2013, 3:36am

Post #18 of 44 (305 views)
Shortcut
Strap in and enjoy the ride! [In reply to] Can't Post

ryouko
Lorien

Jan 6 2013, 3:37am

Post #19 of 44 (301 views)
Shortcut
I'm with you there [In reply to] Can't Post

I've only seen it 3 times. But I can easily get burned out on things, so I have to take it easy. So I've decided to only see it every other week, so that I don't get burned out.

Makes it difficult when I keep reading all the details that people picked up from the viewings.

Glaurung63
Lorien

Jan 6 2013, 3:38am

Post #20 of 44 (308 views)
Shortcut
Ahh, the score [In reply to] Can't Post

Agreed, second and more viewings let me focus on the music...

Glaurung63
Lorien

Jan 6 2013, 3:41am

Post #21 of 44 (307 views)
Shortcut
Yes, see it in theaters now! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glaurung63
Lorien

Jan 6 2013, 3:42am

Post #22 of 44 (307 views)
Shortcut
Right, before it leaves theaters!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glaurung63
Lorien

Jan 6 2013, 3:44am

Post #23 of 44 (290 views)
Shortcut
Third viewing too [In reply to] Can't Post

I waited a bit...but I will go for 4 and 5 viewings....

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jan 6 2013, 3:45am

Post #24 of 44 (299 views)
Shortcut
No, unless I've been seriously misled // [In reply to] Can't Post

..The land of long-forgotten name:
......no man may ever anchor near;
..No steering star his hope may aim,
......for nether Night its marches drear,
..And waters wide no sail may tame,
......with shores encircled dark and sheer.

..O! Haven where my heart would be!
......the waves beat upon thy bar
..For ever echo endlessly,
......when longing leads thy thought afar

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Jan 6 2013, 3:48am

Post #25 of 44 (306 views)
Shortcut
It most definitely can be... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but given that the whole purpose of HFR has been to reduce the amount of motion blur in traditional 3D, I would assume that the studio didn't see the need to release a HFR 2D version (especially in light of the early reaction to HFR).

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.