Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Dain and his Iron Hills Dwarves..

YaznegSouth40
Rivendell

Jan 5 2013, 10:36pm

Post #1 of 10 (729 views)
Shortcut
Dain and his Iron Hills Dwarves.. Can't Post

and their armor! What do you all think it will look like or similar to? The armor in the flashback of the Erebor dwarves got me thinking that Dain and the Dwarves of the Iron Hills should have the ultimate armor! Those Erebor armored dwarves were pretty good (like how I kinda imagined) but Dain's crew should be more AWESOME than those! In the book it describes the armor..but it's kinda vague and not a complete description and if you picture it in your head...not as impressive. What do you guys think?

(This post was edited by YaznegSouth40 on Jan 5 2013, 10:38pm)

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Jan 5 2013, 11:16pm

Post #2 of 10 (390 views)
Shortcut
Bersekers [In reply to] Can't Post

I've got a feeling that the Iron Hill dwarves may have a slight berserker vibe too them (based on the little we've heard about Dain's appearance) whilst retaining most of their armour. I can picture more of them being bareheaded and maybe having chainmail (mitril?) sleeves , meaning that some their bare arms might show (like Thorin in the azulnibizar flash back). Shaved heads or thick, wild hair, tattoos and long beards a plenty.

Yes, my username is terrible.

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jan 5 2013, 11:29pm

Post #3 of 10 (369 views)
Shortcut
Originally... [In reply to] Can't Post

the Erebor design WAS for the iron hill dwarves (pg. 83 of Hobbit Chronicles). They switched it to Erebor/ Moria dwarves so they were already thinking heavily covered/armored hulky warriors. I expect them to be similar but of a different color and a bit more intimidating if possible.

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Jan 6 2013, 2:00am

Post #4 of 10 (324 views)
Shortcut
They should look glorious, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

At the same time, I hope Thorin&Co as they emerge from the mountain outdo all the others in appearance and ferocity.

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

YaznegSouth40
Rivendell

Jan 6 2013, 7:08pm

Post #5 of 10 (192 views)
Shortcut
The Mitch King.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with you about how they might look. And that is a very cool design ...especially if the armor is say...RED like the river near the Iron Hills.

YaznegSouth40
Rivendell

Jan 6 2013, 10:11pm

Post #6 of 10 (174 views)
Shortcut
I wonder if... [In reply to] Can't Post

Dain will be the only one helmetless and the rest of his men will have the dragon-helms ( helmets with face cover)? Especially with this talk of a mohawk,head tattoos...which I absolutely think can be pretty cool if done right! The boar he is supposed to ride should be not just an ordinary boar , but a huge boar capable of carrying a stout dwarf in armor! One of those huge Hogzilla type beast! Would be AWESOME! Also if Dain is the only one would be best instead of a an army of boar riding warriors.

(This post was edited by YaznegSouth40 on Jan 6 2013, 10:14pm)

General Ceel

Jan 7 2013, 11:32pm

Post #7 of 10 (130 views)
Shortcut
. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know how they'll look, but I am really glad that Jackson set up the idea that Dain and his Dwarves refused to come on the quest, and so may not show up to help them when the mountain comes under siege. Thats the kind of thing that purists complain about, but are necessary to create tension in a film.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 7 2013, 11:54pm

Post #8 of 10 (140 views)
Shortcut
Could you point me to the post or thread [In reply to] Can't Post

that talks about the fact Dain may not show up at the Battle of Five Armies? I missed that :)

Thanks!

" Well well!", said a voice. "Just look! Bilbo the hobbit on a pony, my dear! Isn't it delicious!"
"Most astonishing wonderful!"

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Jan 8 2013, 5:05am

Post #9 of 10 (151 views)
Shortcut
This got me thinking about both the Iron Hill and the [In reply to] Can't Post

Blue Mountains and their respective resources. Obviously, the Iron Hills were rich in mineral ore, particularly iron. The dwarves would have had all they need for manufacturing high quality metal good and weapons. In the First Age the Iron Hills were part of the Iron Mountains - home of Morgoth and the Mountains of Angmar.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Hills
From the Billy Connolly info, it sounds like the Iron Mountain dwarves will appear like a biker gang / road warrior army.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Jan 8 2013, 5:08am)

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Jan 8 2013, 5:10am

Post #10 of 10 (150 views)
Shortcut
Blue Mountain info [In reply to] Can't Post

The Blue Mountains were less described -
"Although the Ered Luin were little described (owing to their location on the fringes" of all of Tolkien's tales), we can assume a bit of their geology. The outer layers of the mountains seem to have been underlaid by metamorphic rocks formed in contact with mumerous igneous intrusions. This environment is often necessary to produce veins of ore such as those mined by the dwarves from the beginning of time. This environment produced the grandiose trove of Gold, Silver, iron, gems, and other materials that made the Dwarf kingdoms superbly wealthy."

So, we can assume both locations were rich in minerals of various types. We don't have details of those dwarven settlements and whether they approached the splendor of Moria or Erebor.

http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Blue_Mountains

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.