Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
An Ancient Enemy and The Khazad Dum connection + Smaug Theme

Ave Moria
Rivendell

Jan 5 2013, 9:19pm

Views: 893
Shortcut
An Ancient Enemy and The Khazad Dum connection + Smaug Theme Can't Post

I have been listening to the score a bit, and one of my favorite moments to relive is the Thorin Azog battle at Moria, and I quickly noticed that while Azog is hammering away at Thorin's oaken shield, the ascending musical theme is almost note for note from sections of Khazad Dum's main motif. This is not laziness, but a conscious decision by Shore to connect the heavy melancholy and epicness of the Dwarves and their fall between these two pieces.

Very cool stuff.

I am also wondering if the Thorin Azog theme (which is NOT a Knife in the Dark) will be available.

Everyone keeps saying this is a Knife in the Dark, but it is really a Mordor motif heard of course in anything Nazgul related. The version in the Hobbit has staccato strings and heavy timpani that no prior version has. This theme looks to be a sort of remix, or building up of the earlier theme to echo the Mordor connection, which we will probably see in some fashion with Azog and the Necromancer.

EDIT: For more insight, read the liner notes for The Hobbit extended edition score, there is a quite a bit of insight into how and why themes were created.

For example, Smaug's Theme is teased in AUJ, and can be heard @ 4:17 in My Dear Frodo. If you listen, you will notice, as explained in the liner notes, this is a theme constructed with the note structure of Sauron's Theme, but sort of inverted.

I am wondering if there is a connection here, especially since Sauron's eye is almost identical to Smaug's.

-In the Darkness, a torch we hold-

(This post was edited by Ave Moria on Jan 5 2013, 9:26pm)

Subject User Time
An Ancient Enemy and The Khazad Dum connection + Smaug Theme Ave Moria Send a private message to Ave Moria Jan 5 2013, 9:19pm
    I agree about the Khazad-Dum connection FlyingSerkis Send a private message to FlyingSerkis Jan 5 2013, 9:27pm
        Cool! Ave Moria Send a private message to Ave Moria Jan 5 2013, 9:30pm
            Interestingly FlyingSerkis Send a private message to FlyingSerkis Jan 5 2013, 9:42pm
                I see but your saying but- Ave Moria Send a private message to Ave Moria Jan 5 2013, 9:50pm
        I made a comment to a friend, privately, as we discussed the soundtrack and some of the conundrums it's presented Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Jan 5 2013, 9:49pm
            Fantastic post Ave Moria Send a private message to Ave Moria Jan 5 2013, 10:02pm
            Great post, as ever FlyingSerkis Send a private message to FlyingSerkis Jan 5 2013, 10:16pm
            Very well written Elessar Send a private message to Elessar Jan 5 2013, 10:38pm
        This makes it much better for me... Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Jan 6 2013, 12:26pm
            There is a translation for the LOTR FlyingSerkis Send a private message to FlyingSerkis Jan 6 2013, 12:39pm
                Thanks so much! Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Jan 6 2013, 1:21pm
    About the Nazgul theme Skaan Send a private message to Skaan Jan 5 2013, 10:54pm
    Fascinating thread -- thanks! Roheryn Send a private message to Roheryn Jan 6 2013, 12:08am
        Thanks for the nice words Ave Moria Send a private message to Ave Moria Jan 6 2013, 1:28am
            you need to start a website Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Jan 6 2013, 2:42am
            Ah, and thank *you*! Roheryn Send a private message to Roheryn Jan 6 2013, 6:48am
    Think I've found the answer possibly MEIGWIT Send a private message to MEIGWIT Jan 6 2013, 8:50am
        OMG Ave Moria Send a private message to Ave Moria Jan 6 2013, 8:55am
            Holy Moly!!!! (POSSIBLE SPOILER) MEIGWIT Send a private message to MEIGWIT Jan 6 2013, 8:59am
                Ok MEIGWIT Send a private message to MEIGWIT Jan 6 2013, 9:09am
                It's a different shape DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Jan 6 2013, 10:28am
                    Ah MEIGWIT Send a private message to MEIGWIT Jan 6 2013, 3:32pm
        BTW Ave Moria Send a private message to Ave Moria Jan 6 2013, 8:58am
            not sure what you mean *exactly* by... Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Jan 6 2013, 2:14pm
                but but but MEIGWIT Send a private message to MEIGWIT Jan 6 2013, 3:37pm
                    well, then.. you're getting into the 'can I disagree with the Artist' argument Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Jan 6 2013, 4:57pm
                        I'm sorry MEIGWIT Send a private message to MEIGWIT Jan 7 2013, 7:21am
                            Not an ounce of hostility! Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Jan 7 2013, 4:36pm
                                ah MEIGWIT Send a private message to MEIGWIT Jan 7 2013, 5:17pm
                                    fantastic Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Jan 7 2013, 5:21pm
        Fantastic thought! FlyingSerkis Send a private message to FlyingSerkis Jan 6 2013, 12:47pm
            As far as canon goes... Eleniel Send a private message to Eleniel Jan 6 2013, 1:22pm
    The Morgoth connection RalphDamiani Send a private message to RalphDamiani Jan 6 2013, 3:44pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.