Why no love for the Stone Giants?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

HobbitBreakfast
The Shire

Jan 5 2013, 3:51am

Post #1 of 87 (1443 views)
Shortcut
Why no love for the Stone Giants? Can't Post

Not many people on here seem to have liked the stone giant scene. For me, it was actually one of my favorite parts of the film; I had always hoped that PJ wouldn't just cut the stone giants out, even though they are briefly mentioned, and he didn't. However, I can see how some think it should be an EE scene only. It's a big random action scene nestled between the traveling scene and Bilbo-Bofur scene. Still, I think it's a really cool part of the film

ryouko
Lorien

Jan 5 2013, 3:52am

Post #2 of 87 (789 views)
Shortcut
No idea [In reply to] Can't Post

I really loved that scene myself. I thought the Stone Giants were neat and rather scary! I wouldn't want to be around these guys when they start fighting! But that's one of my favorite scenes, so you're not alone there.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Jan 5 2013, 3:53am

Post #3 of 87 (751 views)
Shortcut
loved that sequence [In reply to] Can't Post

they were horrifying and yet awe-inspiring!!! i think PJ beefed up that sequence which i'm perfectly fine with, in the book it didn't seem like they were much of a threat.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty, oh will you please take me home!!

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 5 2013, 4:03am

Post #4 of 87 (758 views)
Shortcut
Stone Giants [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Not many people on here seem to have liked the stone giant scene. For me, it was actually one of my favorite parts of the film; I had always hoped that PJ wouldn't just cut the stone giants out, even though they are briefly mentioned, and he didn't. However, I can see how some think it should be an EE scene only. It's a big random action scene nestled between the traveling scene and Bilbo-Bofur scene. Still, I think it's a really cool part of the film

I also liked that they included this offhand reference from the book in the movie. I also really like the scene, I think calling it "random" is a bit unfair to the Bilbo-Thorin relationship arc in the film, as this is a key scene. It's what Thorin says to Bilbo after lifting him to safety that sets up that Bifur-Bilbo conversation in the first place, by causing Bilbo to decide he should leave.

Foul Dwimmerlaik

Jan 5 2013, 4:06am

Post #5 of 87 (838 views)
Shortcut
Hated it. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been a long while (like decades) since I've read the book, but this small part I always imagined as some human-like giants, 50ft tall, on distant mountaintops tossing boulders at each other as if playing catch, or some sort of competition. Never had I even come close to imagining it as PJ did -- living rocky mountains pummeling each other into rubble.

Not only was it way overlong and not representative of what (I feel) Tolkien briefly described, but it had too many of the characteristics of one of my most reviled scenes in the FotR movie: the Stairs of Khazad Dum. Thoroughly unnecessarily unbelievable nonsensical action that detracted from the movie instead of benefiting it. I enjoyed AUJ but this scene absolutely blew.

Purist

HobbitBreakfast
The Shire

Jan 5 2013, 4:08am

Post #6 of 87 (721 views)
Shortcut
Well.... [In reply to] Can't Post

In place of the fight in the theatrical release, they could have just had Bilbo slipping on the rocks, and hanging off the cliff or some such act of buffoonery. That way, Thorin could get mad at him, and the Bilbo-Bofur scene could roll along. My point is just that the big, loud, action scene may have just seemed random to the average movie person, which may have contributed to the criticisms of the film which said that it was unnecessarily long.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jan 5 2013, 4:10am

Post #7 of 87 (736 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to TORn! [In reply to] Can't Post

I quite share your sentiments on the scene. I think a throwaway shot of the giants throwing stones would have been a great nod to the book. As it was, it was too long and ridiculous for me.

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

imin
Valinor

Jan 5 2013, 4:15am

Post #8 of 87 (720 views)
Shortcut
Yup - sums up how i felt about it [In reply to] Can't Post

For me its the worst scene in the entire film.

But this is a thread for fans of the scene so i will say no more! Tongue

totoro
Lorien

Jan 5 2013, 4:18am

Post #9 of 87 (706 views)
Shortcut
I liked the scene [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish PJ could have resisted putting the dwarves on the legs, though.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jan 5 2013, 4:32am

Post #10 of 87 (699 views)
Shortcut
I thought it looked incredible [In reply to] Can't Post

when they were off in the distance-- where they should have stayed. But when the company were actually hanging off of them... it was just too silly, and suspension-of-disbelief destroying. But when you subscribe to the Jackson/Boyens/Walsh school of scriptwriting, i guess you have to have your characters directly involved in every bit of action, no matter what.

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Jan 5 2013, 4:52am

Post #11 of 87 (678 views)
Shortcut
I agree with Foul Dwimmerlaik [In reply to] Can't Post

The scene was too long, given that it's just a quick mysterious mention in the book. Also, the Stone-giants didn't look how I had pictured them. Granted, this is subjective but it seemed too literal-minded. I had thought the Stone-giants were simply an especially large tribe of Men, maybe 15 to 20 feet tall. 100-foot giants of living stone that form part of the mountains didn't feel consistent with Tolkien's world to me.

It also opens a can of worms. What are the Stone-giants in Jackson's version? How do they fit in Middle-earth? If they're literal beings of stone, would that make them Maiar of the earth, similar to how Balrogs are Maiar of fire? I guess I'd be okay with that. It just wasn't what I was expecting.

That said, Tolkien gives very little info about the giants so massive creatures of stone are as valid as any other interpretation, I guess. It's just not what I pictured.

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jan 5 2013, 5:06am

Post #12 of 87 (653 views)
Shortcut
I would have been disappointed had the stone giants not been included [In reply to] Can't Post

and I enjoyed the scene more the first time I saw it than the second or third.

Like many, I would have been happy to just have them throwing boulders in the distance.

I was pretty darn sure that PJ would include them, as he is not one who could pass up a passage like that, and I should have seen an extended (I want to call it a battle, but that doesn't really fit right) scene coming. I suppose I saw a bit more than the book scene coming, but like totoro, I wish PJ would have resisted the urge to put them on the legs. It left me confused as to how they didn't fall and die. Yet to have the stone giants battle right near the company and have them just watch simply wouldn't have worked movie-wise, nor could you possibly have the dwarves defeat the giants, but still it seems like there must be a better solution.

On the upside, I love the design of the stone giants. They look very much like I pictured them, aside from the pointyness of their heads. Though I never thought of them as "becoming" the mountains when inactive (admittedly I hadn't really spent an appreciable amount of time thinking about their lives outside the Hobbit scene and blocking goblin porches for Gandalf) I rather like the idea.

..The land of long-forgotten name:
......no man may ever anchor near;
..No steering star his hope may aim,
......for nether Night its marches drear,
..And waters wide no sail may tame,
......with shores encircled dark and sheer.

..O! Haven where my heart would be!
......the waves beat upon thy bar
..For ever echo endlessly,
......when longing leads thy thought afar

percy
The Shire

Jan 5 2013, 5:08am

Post #13 of 87 (657 views)
Shortcut
I loved the scene [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to admit that when I first heard that the Stone Giants were going to be included in the film, I was giddy. I'm a big fan of giant monsters in any form, and I loved that Peter Jackson was going to take advantage of a small (and I'm not entirely sure literal) mention of them in the book and turn it into a giant action scene.

I'm a sucker for epic, over-the-top action. I cheerfully and shamelessly confess it. That's probably why the movies sit well with me. My brother (an avid fan of epic high fantasy) once noted that the reason that Jackson's LOTR movies were so great was that they turned the often slow and dense fantasy books into a series of awesome fantasy action movies. It is also for that very reason that many here and elsewhere do not like (or at least take some issue with) the films. Both perspectives are valid.

Some people were Tolkien fans first and fantasy fans second, if at all. Others, like me, were fantasy fans first. I was raised on the many works that followed in the wake of LOTR, and came to Tolkien later. I'm used to more fantastical action and adventure than the books actually contain, and I prefer my fantasy to include heaping helpings of it. I certainly like the books as-is, but if I'm watching a movie, I want a visual spectacle.

Mahtion
Rivendell

Jan 5 2013, 5:26am

Post #14 of 87 (692 views)
Shortcut
Honestly it was incredulous [In reply to] Can't Post

I love a lot of the Hobbit but this scene was weak thematically and seemed to clash with the style and level of fantasy in the movie. I like the fact that it was emotional and suspenseful. Also I enjoyed the amount of concern the dwarves had for one another and it helped with characterization. However I agree with others that living mountains was a bit much. Some may say that tree elementals are similar to mountain elementals but I honestly don't know why one works while the other does not.

redgiraffe
Rohan

Jan 5 2013, 6:13am

Post #15 of 87 (637 views)
Shortcut
Why? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
For me its the worst scene in the entire film.

But this is a thread for fans of the scene so i will say no more! Tongue

Why say no more? This is a forum for people to discuss their thoughts, imin. Don't be afraid to share your opinion. I want to hear it!

I would say that I liked the scene. But I would also agree it was unnecessary for the most part to the story, besides that character bit that was mentioned. But I mean that's the nature of the source material.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

redgiraffe
Rohan

Jan 5 2013, 6:20am

Post #16 of 87 (620 views)
Shortcut
personal opinion [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Some may say that tree elementals are similar to mountain elementals but I honestly don't know why one works while the other does not.

I guess it just boils down to personal opinion. It's not really explainable. Take me for example: I didn't think the stone giants was over the top or unbelievable, yet I still kind of cringe when I see dwalin swiping four sets of Goblins away with a big bar. I don't know why but for me that was over the top and cheesy.

And I'm sure we can all agree on which one of those scenes is more feasible in real life... Obviously the stone giants.

Cool Just kidding.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

(This post was edited by redgiraffe on Jan 5 2013, 6:21am)

Joe20
Lorien

Jan 5 2013, 6:23am

Post #17 of 87 (622 views)
Shortcut
I loved it, however... [In reply to] Can't Post

it was just a tad jarring when it switched between a cgi wide shot and a set. But not enough to be a deal-breaker Smile

(This post was edited by Joe20 on Jan 5 2013, 6:23am)

Mahtion
Rivendell

Jan 5 2013, 6:33am

Post #18 of 87 (596 views)
Shortcut
Too much [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess the scene was okay until it was revealed that the company was actually on a stone giant. At that point it felt contrived and reminded me too much of climbing a Titan in God of War. It is mostly subjective what works and what doesn't. For me having Gimli constantly strike Uruk-hai in the crotch at helms deep was annoying and silly.

marillaraina
Rohan

Jan 5 2013, 7:24am

Post #19 of 87 (581 views)
Shortcut
Hands up [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the Stone Giants. I thought it was an awesome exciting scene, the special effects were amazing and it also was useful for character reasons. We see Thorin help Bilbo up at the end when he falls off the ledge. We see Kili and Fili's looks of horror as they are seperated. We see Thorin's worry about his crew and especially his nephews, etc. etc.

It's a great scene.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 5 2013, 7:32am

Post #20 of 87 (592 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I think the scene is worth it [In reply to] Can't Post

for the panicked disbelief on Fili's face when he is separated from his brother.

In Reply To
Also I enjoyed the amount of concern the dwarves had for one another and it helped with characterization.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jan 5 2013, 8:03am

Post #21 of 87 (611 views)
Shortcut
They are just too big. And I didn't envision them as made of stone. It isn't [In reply to] Can't Post

a bad scene, but it is one of my least favourites because I feel they diminish Smaug by being soooo massive. I wanted the stone giants left in, but careful what you wish for. I wasn't expecting litho transformers (no disrespect to OptimusPrime). It doesn't really bother me, and I like Thorin's expression of care for his nephew, and his willingness to endanger himself to save Bilbo, despite having no particular fondness for him. It showed him to be noble of heart even as he is pompus and sour of mood. The conception of the giants is what annoyed me.

I am glad that they were not attacking the dwarves, at least.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

(This post was edited by AinurOlorin on Jan 5 2013, 8:05am)

herzogian
Bree

Jan 5 2013, 8:45am

Post #22 of 87 (553 views)
Shortcut
Didnt realy like them. [In reply to] Can't Post

Its a pitty ¨PJ has such a fetish for action scenes. In this movie he seems to think action is necessary to keep the public's attention, so he stuffed AUJ full with unnecessary action sequenses wich didnt always work. A shot of the giants fighting each other in the distance would have been more subtle and powerfull then 'the Stone Giant attraction' from the AUJ amusement park. Other attractions in the park are are the bunnysleds, the swinging bridge, the tunnle rollercoaster (didnt realy mind this one), and the falling bridge. Also it would have been more true to the book.

marillaraina
Rohan

Jan 5 2013, 9:03am

Post #23 of 87 (567 views)
Shortcut
Seriously [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
for the panicked disbelief on Fili's face when he is separated from his brother.

Seriously look at both their horrified disbelieving faces.

They're gutted at being separated, one of them being in danger and the other not there with him. Worth it for that alone, IMO. :D Poor things, almost makes one glad they died together.

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jan 5 2013, 9:42am)

moreorless
Gondor

Jan 5 2013, 9:36am

Post #24 of 87 (565 views)
Shortcut
Personally I felt they just stayed within believeability for the Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
when they were off in the distance-- where they should have stayed. But when the company were actually hanging off of them... it was just too silly, and suspension-of-disbelief destroying. But when you subscribe to the Jackson/Boyens/Walsh school of scriptwriting, i guess you have to have your characters directly involved in every bit of action, no matter what.

In LOTR the scene would likely have been a bit too much much but I felt AUJ could get away with a bit more sucessfully given the overall tone of the film.

If the scene had a fault I'd say it was more that it became rather too dymatic given its lack of buildup and aftermath. Bofur mentions "the legends are true", I'd have had that talked up a bit beforehand, perhaps the EE may touch on it?

Visually I thought it was the highpoint of the film, actually reminded me alot of the discovery of skull island in the mist.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 5 2013, 10:23am

Post #25 of 87 (551 views)
Shortcut
Azog takes all the limelight [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the Stone Giants - I never, ever thought that the team would include them. I'm glad they did. And the CGI in that scene is some of the best in the entire film.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.