Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
help translate "White Council" please

ElendurTheFaithful
Rivendell

Jan 4 2013, 9:39pm

Post #1 of 8 (291 views)
Shortcut
help translate "White Council" please Can't Post

for the longest time i have tried to translate White Council into sindarin but cannot find word "council" anywhere.

Can anybody help me solve this?

Thanks

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Jan 4 2013, 10:12pm

Post #2 of 8 (175 views)
Shortcut
Council [In reply to] Can't Post

Not sure if there is a Sindarin word for "council." Closest I can find is "govanneth" (meeting). So it would be Nim Govanneth (White Meeting).

Bear in mind that I'm not an expert on Tolkien's languages so I could be wrong.

(This post was edited by Fredeghar Wayfarer on Jan 4 2013, 10:17pm)

ElendurTheFaithful
Rivendell

Jan 4 2013, 11:02pm

Post #3 of 8 (162 views)
Shortcut
Thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

just one quick one and i'm done i swear

can I name Northmen - Foredain in sindarin

Thanks

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Jan 5 2013, 4:30am

Post #4 of 8 (146 views)
Shortcut
Possibly [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never seen that word but it sounds plausible. "Edain" usually just refers to the Men of Beleriand and their descendants though.

Tolkien himself used "Forodwaith" (People of the North) for the Men of the Northern Waste and as a name for the Vikings in The Book of Lost Tales. I've also seen "Forodrim" (People of the North) but that might be fan created. Don't know if the Northmen of Rhovanion had another name. Which group were you referring to?

By the way, no need to apologize. I love figuring out Tolkien's languages.

ElendurTheFaithful
Rivendell

Jan 6 2013, 10:12pm

Post #5 of 8 (118 views)
Shortcut
Thanks me too, this is what i came up with [In reply to] Can't Post

I devided Edain into Dunedain and now Foredain (left harad and rhun out of the picture for now). The problem are those now know as Foredain. I put Rohirrim in their group because they had ancestors up there who came down south in latter years and established Rohan after Eorl bla bla bla we know the story. Im cool with that. But "???" stands for people of dale and/or esgaroth. I can put them in Foredain group now but there is simply no sindarin name meaning laketown folks or daleings or esgarothians (I'm making stuff up terribly). So any advice what to call them in sindarin. Is there a name i have no knowing of? lucky guess? piece of mind? I'm up for anything friend :)

Edain
- Dunedain (Sindarin: west men)
- - Gondorians (Sindarin: stone land people)
- - Ardorians (Sindarin: king land people)
- Foredain (Sindarin: north men)
- - ???
- - Rohirim (Sindarin: horse men)

PS i'm aware this is kinda wrong and not what tolkien wrote, but it's just for my fantasy version of it :)

(This post was edited by ElendurTheFaithful on Jan 6 2013, 10:15pm)

Elthir
Gondor

Jan 7 2013, 3:27am

Post #6 of 8 (108 views)
Shortcut
-rim [In reply to] Can't Post

Forodrim is the name for a Tolkien Society but it seems well enough made to me, if not attested. I think -rim can work:

Gondorrim (compare Gondolindrim)
Ardorrim
Rohirrim
Forodrim

Unfortunately that looks like a lot of examples with double r when listed together. I think (in a letter) Tolkien purposely wanted to avoid 'Ardor' so he came up with a way to have Gondor but not Ardor, but that's because he knew Ardor was fine in Sindarin.

While -ian(d) is found in Sindarin place names, final -s is not a Sindarin plural marker -- I'm not saying you don't know that, but if you want a pure Sindarin form I mean, rather than Gondorians for example.

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Jan 8 2013, 11:12pm

Post #7 of 8 (65 views)
Shortcut
Dale [In reply to] Can't Post

The people of Dale and Esgaroth were considered Northmen as well. Most of the people of Rhovanion were Northmen, so that includes the Men of Dale, the Eotheod, the Rohirrim, the Beornings, the Woodmen of Mirkwood, etc. So whatever term you end up using (Foredain or Forodrim) could apply to all of these.

If you want something specifically for the Men of Dale, what about Nandrim (Valley People)? No idea if this would be accurate Sindarin but "Nan(d)" means "valley" and "rim" means "people" so it could maybe work.

Elthir
Gondor

Jan 9 2013, 4:31pm

Post #8 of 8 (96 views)
Shortcut
Morrim [In reply to] Can't Post

Also if you use nan we could introduce another sound through contact of -nr-... that is: nan + rim -> *Nadhrim

I think! Looking at Caradhras anyway, which I think is caran + ras(s)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.