Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Who Else LOVES Balin (in a platonic, of avuncular way)?! Bofur and Thorin as well, really, but BALIN!!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jan 4 2013, 8:28pm

Post #1 of 28 (811 views)
Shortcut
Who Else LOVES Balin (in a platonic, of avuncular way)?! Bofur and Thorin as well, really, but BALIN!! Can't Post

Being a Gandalf, of course I love Gandalf. Lol. And Bilbo was played spot on by Martin. But the unexpected pleasure and treat to me in this film was Stout's portrayl of Balin. He was so wonderfully avuncular, witty, charming, humourous both in his mirth and in is (also avuncular) moments of mild grump and disdain, ". . . would be difficult even with an army behind us. But we number only 13! And not of our best (mood PERFECT eyeroll Frown Laugh), nor brightest." He was PERFECTLY cast, and perfectly played. I was MOVED when he spoke of Thorin and Azanalbizar, moved even in spite of the fact that I was pissed off almost to the point of actually wetting myself by the alterations that had been made to the motivation for The Battle, the timeline of Thror's fall and the survival of Azog. Balin is a gemstone in these films, and I hope that, even as the other Dwarves are given more room to speak and display themselves (as I very much hope they will be) Balin still remains somewhat at the fore.

As an aside, I also GREATLY enjoyed and became very fond of the portrayl of Bofur. And I was impressed, in many ways (not at all times, but mostly) by Armitage as Thorin. He exuded a nobility and rough gravity that made up for the changes in the characters apparent age. And, of course McKellan, Blanchett and Lee were as impressive as ever. I also would be remiss not to give a nod to Dame Edna/Humphries rendition of THe Great Goblin. He was BY FAR the most engaging and entertaining goblin or orc I have encountered in any of these films from Fellowship to now. I actually liked him, though I was thrilled to see the magical power of Gandalf (PROPERLY on fuller display, at last!) and the brandishing of Glamdring put the fear of Wizardly wrath into him. Even his lines there were well performed. "He wields The Beater, bright as daylight!" From his commentary and courtsey, to his mean little ditty song, the great, blubbery hulk was almost charming. . . well, until he started shouting for the dwarves to be killed.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Macfeast
Rohan

Jan 4 2013, 8:33pm

Post #2 of 28 (456 views)
Shortcut
Yes, so much yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree practically with everything you say, but Balin...how I loved that dwarf!

(This post was edited by Macfeast on Jan 4 2013, 8:33pm)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jan 4 2013, 8:34pm

Post #3 of 28 (435 views)
Shortcut
That would be me! [In reply to] Can't Post

Balin was one of the greatest parts of the film!

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jan 4 2013, 8:34pm

Post #4 of 28 (424 views)
Shortcut
I can see you do! [In reply to] Can't Post

As you are promoting Balin to help Santa take a well deserved vacation by taking the reins in his stead for a while Wink

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

ashonmytomatoes
Bree

Jan 4 2013, 8:35pm

Post #5 of 28 (438 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

I want Balin to adopt me. He was wonderful. I loved him more on each viewing. I am madly in love with Thorin and Kili, of course, but I respect Balin the most of all the Dwarves, if that is the right word.

Funny thing about Humphries. My mother was wondering who the voice of the Goblin King was because she recognized it from him voicing Bruce in Finding Nemo, a movie my little nephew has seen more times than I've seen all Jackson's Tolkien movies put together and that is saying a lot. Heh.

I've always loved McKellan's Gandalf. He IS Gandalf.

(This post was edited by ashonmytomatoes on Jan 4 2013, 8:41pm)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jan 4 2013, 8:37pm

Post #6 of 28 (424 views)
Shortcut
I didn't realize he was Bruce! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love Finding Nemo. Great film.

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jan 4 2013, 8:43pm

Post #7 of 28 (427 views)
Shortcut
How about in a romantic, steamy, passionate way? [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought those little buck teeth of Ken Stott's were hot.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Jan 4 2013, 8:44pm)

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jan 4 2013, 8:44pm

Post #8 of 28 (420 views)
Shortcut
I agree, he really was fantastic [In reply to] Can't Post

It was really nice to see some more individualized Dwarves this time as oppose to the comic-relief Gimli of LotR. Balin was like the Gandalf of Thorin's company: wise, reassuring and warm-spirited. Stott's narration of the monologue about the Battle of Azanulbizar was key to my enjoyment of the scene...enjoyed the moment when Balin tries to deter Thorin from the quest in Bag End, and even the delivery of "More of a letter opener, really" was well played.

Loved Balin's look as well, it perfectly matched his wise character. Ken Stott deserves high praise for his portrayal.

On the subject of the Great Goblin, I don't know what it was about him, but I felt he was very effective as a character, even including the camp singing and dancing bits. Hopefully more of his antics in the Extended Edition.

And yes, finally seeing Gandalf in action was without doubt the biggest (and nicest) surprise in the film for me.

"These are Gundabad Wargs! They will outrun you!"

"THESE are Rhosgobel Rabbits! I'd like to see them try...."

(This post was edited by Radagast-Aiwendil on Jan 4 2013, 8:47pm)

Rane
Bree

Jan 4 2013, 8:47pm

Post #9 of 28 (385 views)
Shortcut
I wish he were my grandpa XD [In reply to] Can't Post

When I asked my little sister (11) who her favorite dwarf was she said Balin. I asked why. She said he was cute in an old guy sort of way. She liked how kind he was.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jan 4 2013, 8:54pm

Post #10 of 28 (376 views)
Shortcut
See, that is why I made the distinction. Not that there would be anything wrong with YOU [In reply to] Can't Post

liking Balin in that way. Not for me to judge. As one of the old folks sayings went, " 'Each to his own liking,' said the old lady as she kissed the cow."

In Reply To
I thought those little buck teeth of Ken Stott's were hot.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jan 4 2013, 8:58pm

Post #11 of 28 (369 views)
Shortcut
We were both happy about that display of magic. I know [In reply to] Can't Post

that you, like I, had worried Peter would stint. There were some issues with how the pinecones were handled. . . but at least they were in and mostly accurate. The blast in Goblin town though was praiseworthy. Well timed, well realized and well delivered.

I agree about The Great Goblin. I think he worked very well.

In Reply To
It was really nice to see some more individualized Dwarves this time as oppose to the comic-relief Gimli of LotR. Balin was like the Gandalf of Thorin's company: wise, reassuring and warm-spirited. Stott's narration of the monologue about the Battle of Azanulbizar was key to my enjoyment of the scene...enjoyed the moment when Balin tries to deter Thorin from the quest in Bag End, and even the delivery of "More of a letter opener, really" was well played.

Loved Balin's look as well, it perfectly matched his wise character. Ken Stott deserves high praise for his portrayal.

On the subject of the Great Goblin, I don't know what it was about him, but I felt he was very effective as a character, even including the camp singing and dancing bits. Hopefully more of his antics in the Extended Edition.

And yes, finally seeing Gandalf in action was without doubt the biggest (and nicest) surprise in the film for me.

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jan 4 2013, 9:05pm

Post #12 of 28 (358 views)
Shortcut
Yes the blast was totally unexpected (and welcomed) [In reply to] Can't Post

To be honest the thing I had against the pinecone bit was not the colour of the flame, more the fact that Gandalf gave every Tom, Dick and Harry a chance to throw one, which I felt was unrealistic, as well as it having the effect of (slightly) lessening the impact of our Grey Wizard (once more).

"These are Gundabad Wargs! They will outrun you!"

"THESE are Rhosgobel Rabbits! I'd like to see them try...."

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Jan 4 2013, 9:08pm

Post #13 of 28 (351 views)
Shortcut
BALIN! [In reply to] Can't Post

I really liked Balin, Dwalin, Fili, Kili, Thorin and Bofur!
Really the only dwarves we really got to know!

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jan 4 2013, 9:58pm

Post #14 of 28 (300 views)
Shortcut
Yet I think that wouldn't have been a concern to have, if the colour had been blue. [In reply to] Can't Post

The blue would so distinctively have been magical Wizard wrought fire, in nature (like the blue blast of flame we saw him dislodge the boulder with in Goblin Town, which frankly built me up for the Pinecones to let me down lol), that even with the dwarves tossing it, the fire would have clearly have been something entirely his doing, and that only he would have managed. It still kinda comes off that way: he starts the fires going, and the result is more like small rockets engines than pinecones burning in normal fire. The colour would have made things more clear, and if they had had a little more explosive force among impact it would have helped immensely (not genuine bombs like what Saruman sends to Helm's deep, obviously, but enough so that the effect given off is a little more potent and appreciable).

In Reply To
To be honest the thing I had against the pinecone bit was not the colour of the flame, more the fact that Gandalf gave every Tom, Dick and Harry a chance to throw one, which I felt was unrealistic, as well as it having the effect of (slightly) lessening the impact of our Grey Wizard (once more).

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Jan 4 2013, 10:29pm

Post #15 of 28 (301 views)
Shortcut
Balin was great. [In reply to] Can't Post

i felt pretty sure that he was gonna get a proper amount of focus once i heard Stott had been cast and that proved true.

he was my favorite dwarf in the book and now he's tied for favorite in the movie along with Thorin.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jan 4 2013, 10:35pm

Post #16 of 28 (270 views)
Shortcut
Wow, I'm in complete agreement with you. [In reply to] Can't Post

That's one for the record books. Wink

batik
Tol Eressea

Jan 4 2013, 10:42pm

Post #17 of 28 (262 views)
Shortcut
Indeed.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Balin was a well played! Dwarf portrayals in AUJ got two thumbs up from me. Not that I *know* them all--yet--but Balin, Dwalin, Bofur, and Ori are now on the identified-list. Thorin, Bombur, Kili, and Fili were on that list prior to my viewing as was Gloin (by way of being Gimli's pop!) Hmmm--that's 9! Who's left to get to know? ---Oin, Dori, Nori...and Bifur! Excellent job on bringing these guys to life!

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Jan 4 2013, 10:56pm

Post #18 of 28 (241 views)
Shortcut
yeah! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Jan 4 2013, 11:04pm

Post #19 of 28 (245 views)
Shortcut
I agree Stott was brillant. [In reply to] Can't Post

He brought Balin to life perfectly, even better than I could imagine. Your right about narration of the flash back battle, he was definitely one of the highlights of the films.

Thorin and Bofur were also brilliant. Some great casting for the dwarves.

Yes, my username is terrible.

ryouko
Lorien

Jan 4 2013, 11:25pm

Post #20 of 28 (226 views)
Shortcut
The fact that I'm responding is evidence enough [In reply to] Can't Post

still I must say this. If I were there, Balin would be like a father-figure to me. A Kicking-Some-Major-Ass father figure, but a father figure nonetheless.

Lost Hobbit
Rivendell

Jan 4 2013, 11:26pm

Post #21 of 28 (223 views)
Shortcut
All of them [In reply to] Can't Post

I still expect each of them to show his individuality in the next two films, but I love Balin's nobility. He seems to be one of the wisest of the dwarves and this is well presented. If Thorin, Bilbo and Gandalf are principal charaters, Balin is a supporting one and I'd be glad to see Ken Stott receiving an award for supporting role.

Bladerunner
Gondor

Jan 5 2013, 2:50am

Post #22 of 28 (196 views)
Shortcut
Balin and Thorin.. [In reply to] Can't Post

have really stood apart as film characters from the other dwarves.

During the lead-up to the films, my favorite dwarves were Balin, Bofur and Ori.

I did not expect to like Thorin, but he is my favorite dwarf for now.
Bofur is still one of my favorites, especially after his scene with Bilbo.
"I wish you all the luck in the world." Wow.

I was disappointed with Ori.
I wish the film had focused on Ori's strengths, such as his writing and artistic skills, as opposed to dwelling on his shortcomings as a fighter.
After all, it will be through his writings that the fellowship will learn of Balin's final moments in Moria.

I'm hoping the next film will emphasize the character relationships among the dwarves a bit more, even if it means two or three fewer minutes spent running from Orc packs.

And I can't believe the Great Goblin only got about 3 minutes of screen time. What the heck?!
He was short shrifted.

(This post was edited by Bladerunner on Jan 5 2013, 2:53am)

Ave Moria
Rivendell

Jan 5 2013, 3:49am

Post #23 of 28 (157 views)
Shortcut
Yes, yes yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

I LOVE Balin and the actor who portays him. He is simply wonderful and grounds the film emotionally in a large way. He has dignity, grace and presence.

-In the Darkness, a torch we hold-

blakejared

Jan 6 2013, 6:48am

Post #24 of 28 (99 views)
Shortcut
One line bothered me with Balin... [In reply to] Can't Post

I liked Balin in the book, so I was really glad to like him in the movie too. It makes me sad that he died in Moria.

I was disappointed Balin yelled out "No!" when Thorin handed the map over to Elrond to read. I get that the dwarves are supposed to distrust the elves, but it was disappointing coming from Balin, especially after Thorin, who was even more against elves, decided Elrond should see the map.

Elessar
Valinor

Jan 6 2013, 6:54am

Post #25 of 28 (87 views)
Shortcut
I'm with ya on Balin and Bofur [In reply to] Can't Post

Both if these Dwarves were very well done. Balin more so just because we got more of him in film one. The character already had me because of the book, and appendices if course. However, after all of this finding his grave when watching or reading is going to be even sadder. I'm with you on the Great Goblin. Really very well done and just super cool looking. Can't wait for Weta to make a statue.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.