Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Who Else LOVES Balin (in a platonic, of avuncular way)?! Bofur and Thorin as well, really, but BALIN!!

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jan 4 2013, 8:28pm

Views: 807
Shortcut
Who Else LOVES Balin (in a platonic, of avuncular way)?! Bofur and Thorin as well, really, but BALIN!! Can't Post

Being a Gandalf, of course I love Gandalf. Lol. And Bilbo was played spot on by Martin. But the unexpected pleasure and treat to me in this film was Stout's portrayl of Balin. He was so wonderfully avuncular, witty, charming, humourous both in his mirth and in is (also avuncular) moments of mild grump and disdain, ". . . would be difficult even with an army behind us. But we number only 13! And not of our best (mood PERFECT eyeroll Frown Laugh), nor brightest." He was PERFECTLY cast, and perfectly played. I was MOVED when he spoke of Thorin and Azanalbizar, moved even in spite of the fact that I was pissed off almost to the point of actually wetting myself by the alterations that had been made to the motivation for The Battle, the timeline of Thror's fall and the survival of Azog. Balin is a gemstone in these films, and I hope that, even as the other Dwarves are given more room to speak and display themselves (as I very much hope they will be) Balin still remains somewhat at the fore.

As an aside, I also GREATLY enjoyed and became very fond of the portrayl of Bofur. And I was impressed, in many ways (not at all times, but mostly) by Armitage as Thorin. He exuded a nobility and rough gravity that made up for the changes in the characters apparent age. And, of course McKellan, Blanchett and Lee were as impressive as ever. I also would be remiss not to give a nod to Dame Edna/Humphries rendition of THe Great Goblin. He was BY FAR the most engaging and entertaining goblin or orc I have encountered in any of these films from Fellowship to now. I actually liked him, though I was thrilled to see the magical power of Gandalf (PROPERLY on fuller display, at last!) and the brandishing of Glamdring put the fear of Wizardly wrath into him. Even his lines there were well performed. "He wields The Beater, bright as daylight!" From his commentary and courtsey, to his mean little ditty song, the great, blubbery hulk was almost charming. . . well, until he started shouting for the dwarves to be killed.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Subject User Time
Who Else LOVES Balin (in a platonic, of avuncular way)?! Bofur and Thorin as well, really, but BALIN!! AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Jan 4 2013, 8:28pm
    Yes, so much yes. Macfeast Send a private message to Macfeast Jan 4 2013, 8:33pm
        That would be me! Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë Jan 4 2013, 8:34pm
        I can see you do! AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Jan 4 2013, 8:34pm
    Yes! ashonmytomatoes Send a private message to ashonmytomatoes Jan 4 2013, 8:35pm
        I didn't realize he was Bruce! Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë Jan 4 2013, 8:37pm
    How about in a romantic, steamy, passionate way? Captain Salt Send a private message to Captain Salt Jan 4 2013, 8:43pm
        See, that is why I made the distinction. Not that there would be anything wrong with YOU AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Jan 4 2013, 8:54pm
    I agree, he really was fantastic Radagast-Aiwendil Send a private message to Radagast-Aiwendil Jan 4 2013, 8:44pm
        We were both happy about that display of magic. I know AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Jan 4 2013, 8:58pm
            Yes the blast was totally unexpected (and welcomed) Radagast-Aiwendil Send a private message to Radagast-Aiwendil Jan 4 2013, 9:05pm
                Yet I think that wouldn't have been a concern to have, if the colour had been blue. AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Jan 4 2013, 9:58pm
    I wish he were my grandpa XD Rane Send a private message to Rane Jan 4 2013, 8:47pm
    BALIN! painjoiker Send a private message to painjoiker Jan 4 2013, 9:08pm
    Balin was great. unexpectedvisitor Send a private message to unexpectedvisitor Jan 4 2013, 10:29pm
        Wow, I'm in complete agreement with you. Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë Jan 4 2013, 10:35pm
            yeah! unexpectedvisitor Send a private message to unexpectedvisitor Jan 4 2013, 10:56pm
    Indeed.... batik Send a private message to batik Jan 4 2013, 10:42pm
    I agree Stott was brillant. TheSexyBeard Send a private message to TheSexyBeard Jan 4 2013, 11:04pm
        All of them Lost Hobbit Send a private message to Lost Hobbit Jan 4 2013, 11:26pm
    The fact that I'm responding is evidence enough ryouko Send a private message to ryouko Jan 4 2013, 11:25pm
    Balin and Thorin.. Bladerunner Send a private message to Bladerunner Jan 5 2013, 2:50am
    Yes, yes yes! Ave Moria Send a private message to Ave Moria Jan 5 2013, 3:49am
        One line bothered me with Balin... blakejared Send a private message to blakejared Jan 6 2013, 6:48am
    I'm with ya on Balin and Bofur Elessar Send a private message to Elessar Jan 6 2013, 6:54am
    I love them CathrineB Send a private message to CathrineB Jan 6 2013, 2:04pm
    Ken Stott has been a favourite actor of mine mefansmum Jan 7 2013, 11:00am
    Another one for the Balin fanclub :) Elvanui Send a private message to Elvanui Jan 7 2013, 1:58pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.