Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Happy New Year!!! Welcome to the first Fiesta of 2013
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

imin
Valinor

Jan 4 2013, 5:55pm

Post #26 of 83 (128 views)
Shortcut
wavy lines [In reply to] Can't Post

That must be quite difficult to deal with, certainly to begin with i imagine.

I wish you the best in your recovery - then you can go see the hobbit in 3D :)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jan 4 2013, 5:55pm

Post #27 of 83 (128 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, dernwyn! [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a specific one I want to run that sounds really fun. It's called the Warrior Dash (I think), and it's basically a 5k with an obstacle course. I think it could be lots of fun, so I want to be ready for it.

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jan 4 2013, 5:57pm

Post #28 of 83 (125 views)
Shortcut
That's what I'm hoping [In reply to] Can't Post

I've actually already started (almost done with week 3). It's getting much better, but I'm still not a fan yet. It's an eight week program, so hopefully by the time I'm finished I'll enjoy it much more.

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

imin
Valinor

Jan 4 2013, 5:59pm

Post #29 of 83 (123 views)
Shortcut
Good luck with that :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you will keep us all updated on your progress.

For me i hated running but had to do quite a bit for sport in school. After that i just switched to cycling - ended up doing 10 mile a day before school from my little town to a nearby village and back - great way to start the day!

I wanna get back to deadlifting 700lb - first though i need to get a gym membership, haha! Oh and i sold my weight belt, bugger!

Anyway good luck with getting fit and healthy - put your mind to it i am sure you can do it - we will be the fittest nurse and dentist ever! lol.

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jan 4 2013, 6:04pm

Post #30 of 83 (123 views)
Shortcut
I hope for everyday purposes [In reply to] Can't Post

your non-wavy eye can do the job for the time being

I'm glad to hear it wasn't anything too major, even if it contains a lot of syllables

..The land of long-forgotten name:
......no man may ever anchor near;
..No steering star his hope may aim,
......for nether Night its marches drear,
..And waters wide no sail may tame,
......with shores encircled dark and sheer.

..O! Haven where my heart would be!
......the waves beat upon thy bar
..For ever echo endlessly,
......when longing leads thy thought afar

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 4 2013, 6:06pm

Post #31 of 83 (149 views)
Shortcut
I'm getting ready for my trip! [In reply to] Can't Post

In 12 days time I'm off on my trip to South Georgia! I've just had my vaccinations (poor arms), and I'm slowly packing, getting everything together, and getting *very* excited.

Here's a webcam of where I will be staying : Linky. At the moment, there are a couple of (massive) icebergs in the Cove, and seals and penguins on the beach. These 12 days can't go quick enough.

I have no New Year's resolution - other than to have fun!

Have a great weekend Altaira, and all. You will be a month free of me soon. Laugh

(PS - There's a second webcam here, looking over Grytviken.)

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Jan 4 2013, 6:15pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 4 2013, 6:08pm

Post #32 of 83 (120 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad you explained that [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought "couch to 5k" involved earning money to buy a sofa. Unimpressed

Enjoy preparation for that. Smile

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jan 4 2013, 6:09pm

Post #33 of 83 (129 views)
Shortcut
Wait, you're a dentist? [In reply to] Can't Post

I was thinking you were a surgeon. Or is it dental surgery?

Anyway, good luck on your own goals! 700lb deadlifting sounds ridiculous, lol. I can't even imagine that. No wonder you said you were ripped. Cool

As for me, I'm not a runner either. In fact, I'm not a sports persona at all. I'd much rather be inside reading or doing some sort of art project or something similar. In fact, right now I'm in the process of using Rosetta Stone to learn spanish. I've always been fascinated with languages and would love to learn a few.

I'm basically picking up running only to get healthy. I have high blood pressure, so I'm working on changing that. It's most likely due to a sedentary lifestyle, high caffeine intake, high sodium intake, and stress. I've started running and have cut out caffeine and I'll try to work on my diet at some point. Small steps, though. I'll be sure to keep y'all updated! Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 4 2013, 6:09pm

Post #34 of 83 (117 views)
Shortcut
Can I join in with [In reply to] Can't Post

2, 5 and 6 please?

I propose weekly meetings to make sure we're meeting our goals. Wink

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jan 4 2013, 6:10pm

Post #35 of 83 (118 views)
Shortcut
Money for a sofa [In reply to] Can't Post

Believe me, I'd much rather be doing that than running!

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jan 4 2013, 6:10pm

Post #36 of 83 (114 views)
Shortcut
Well just stay happy [In reply to] Can't Post

and happy dance those pounds off Cool
and all that zooooming about can't hurt either

Asclepias
Rivendell

Jan 4 2013, 6:22pm

Post #37 of 83 (107 views)
Shortcut
*dashes in* [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow! Made it! I took the week off from volunteering because of a bad cold, so here I am! Hot tea, please, Altaira...soothes the throat!

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jan 4 2013, 6:26pm

Post #38 of 83 (106 views)
Shortcut
Wow, that's awe-inspiring [In reply to] Can't Post

though I have to admit, that I was very confused at the need for vaccinations before clicking on the links, as my immediate reaction was the southern part of the state of Georgia.

What sparked your interest in South Georgia?

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jan 4 2013, 6:29pm

Post #39 of 83 (106 views)
Shortcut
A quick drive-by to wish everyone Happy New Year!// [In reply to] Can't Post

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 4 2013, 6:34pm

Post #40 of 83 (118 views)
Shortcut
I don't even need vaccinations for the actual island [In reply to] Can't Post

It's just in case the plane gets diverted to South America or Africa on the way down to the Falkland Islands.

I'm in my 2nd year of my PhD. I'm looking at climate change on the Island - it's been warming since the 1920's which is concurrent with a number of atmospheric and environmental changes. Figuring out the reasons why (and how) will help better understand climate change in this part of the world, and will (hopefully) allow the scientific community to model over complex terrain better. I'll be doing weather observations down there - mainly weather balloons.

I'm very excited. Sly

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 4 2013, 7:18pm

Post #41 of 83 (101 views)
Shortcut
Maybe I could provide some inspiration on the driving front [In reply to] Can't Post

I just learned to drive last year, and got my first car, at the age of 45. If I can do it, anyone can!

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 4 2013, 7:26pm

Post #42 of 83 (115 views)
Shortcut
Please bring me back [In reply to] Can't Post

a lovely pet skua.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 4 2013, 7:28pm

Post #43 of 83 (96 views)
Shortcut
Minesweeper does that for me. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it plays to my (mild) OCD! Although a blasted frustrating game at times...

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 4 2013, 7:32pm

Post #44 of 83 (92 views)
Shortcut
Good for you! [In reply to] Can't Post

My mother learned to drive when she was 50 - I was all kinds of proud of her. :)

So what's on your travel itinerary? Zooming around the central lakes area? Queenstown? A West Coast excursion?

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 4 2013, 7:33pm

Post #45 of 83 (91 views)
Shortcut
Excellent news! [In reply to] Can't Post

Will you be able to update us while you're doon sooth, or will we have to wait for a report until you're back?

Ataahua's stories

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 4 2013, 7:34pm

Post #46 of 83 (102 views)
Shortcut
Not quite at that stage yet [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm still developing my earthquake-munted road management abilities!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 4 2013, 7:36pm

Post #47 of 83 (101 views)
Shortcut
I'm getting ready for a lovely hot day [In reply to] Can't Post

after the last few days of being relatively cold. Australia's incredible heat wave (Adelaide reached 45 degrees C yesterday) is pushing some warmth our way - and the bottom of the South Island is going to cop it today. Consider Invercargill: 16 degrees was their high two days ago (snow fell in the Queenstown mountains, unbelievably), and today they're forecast to reach 30!

Starling, you're up for 30 degrees as well, aren't you?

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 4 2013, 7:38pm

Post #48 of 83 (89 views)
Shortcut
Ah - off-roading, urban style. ;) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua's stories

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 4 2013, 7:40pm

Post #49 of 83 (94 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't normally use the words 'lovely' and 'hot' in the same sentence. Unless we are talking about hot dwarfs.

It's meant to be a scorcher today, so I will be heading to the park with Midgey early, so we can go to ground later.

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jan 4 2013, 7:44pm

Post #50 of 83 (104 views)
Shortcut
hot sounds lovely to me right about now [In reply to] Can't Post

though not 45 C hot
that sounds horrible

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.