Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Happy New Year!!! Welcome to the first Fiesta of 2013
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 4 2013, 4:59pm

Post #1 of 83 (287 views)
Shortcut
Happy New Year!!! Welcome to the first Fiesta of 2013 Can't Post

Well, welll, well. It's the first Fiesta of 2013. By now all of us should be over our hangovers, food stupors and/or holiday colds (unfortunately BG and I both came down with a whopper of a cold that we're just now getting over Pirate - the good news is we didn't have any appetites and actually lost weight over the last two weeks ).Laugh

I didn't do very well with my New Year's resolutions last year, so I've decided my resolution this year is not to make any resolutions, lol. Laugh How about you?

Let us know how your holiday celebrations went and/or what your plans are for 2013 (BG and I are looking forward to seeing many of you at TORn's Oscar party in Feb!!)

p.s. I have to rush into a last-minute meeting, so it's self-serve today. Have a great weekend, everyone!!! CoolHeart

*kicks juke box* "Dominion Road" by the Mutton Birds (from NZ) starts to play.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jan 4 2013, 5:05pm

Post #2 of 83 (161 views)
Shortcut
Happy 2013 all around! [In reply to] Can't Post

We had a pleasant holiday with family and friends as well as some nice stretches of peace and quiet. Now I seem to have quite a few excursions and meetings already scheduled for 2013, and I'm sure I'll find more as the year goes on. As for resolutions, I haven't made any, other than a vague notion to stop spending quite so much time playing Freecell Crazy

I hope you and BG are back in the pink of health, Altaira!

*grabs a peppermint latte and considers To-Do list---things to read, things to write...*

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jan 4 2013, 5:10pm

Post #3 of 83 (159 views)
Shortcut
Plans for 2013, eh? [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I've downloaded an app on my phone called "couch to 5k". I have a couple friends who did the same last year, so I'm hoping to be able to run a couple 5ks with them this year. You should know I'm not a runner; I hate it. But it's my goal to work on my health this year, and this is a great way to get started.

Happy New Year to you and everyone else! Smile

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jan 4 2013, 5:11pm

Post #4 of 83 (151 views)
Shortcut
I haven't played Freecell in forever! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I'll definitely have to change that! Smile

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Jan 4 2013, 5:19pm

Post #5 of 83 (150 views)
Shortcut
A Happy New Year to you all, as well! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

A celebratory Winter Usual, please, Altaira-- thanks, and I hope you have a great (and feeling-better) weekend! :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eventides' Website: ListenUpReviews.com - Rockin' Choices In Entertainment!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jan 4 2013, 5:22pm

Post #6 of 83 (150 views)
Shortcut
Back away from the Freecell.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have an addictive personality, really, I don't, but Freecell will keep me playing again and again and again. Obviously my brain gets something out of it, but it shoots my working schedule to heck!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jan 4 2013, 5:23pm

Post #7 of 83 (141 views)
Shortcut
Have a great year, Evey! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jan 4 2013, 5:24pm

Post #8 of 83 (147 views)
Shortcut
I hope you get over your cold quickly [In reply to] Can't Post

My mom and brother are extremely run down, probably with the flu. I'm just trying to avoid catching it before I go back to campus on Sunday.

I think I'll make myself some hot green tea Smile

Geez, I haven't been here in a while.
What's been going on?
Lots of hard schoolwork, grad school apps
and fun stuff like making teapots (including this one, 2, 3, as well as a Silmarillion one I'll post to the fan art forum) and I'm knitting a sweater, which I should finish today.

..The land of long-forgotten name:
......no man may ever anchor near;
..No steering star his hope may aim,
......for nether Night its marches drear,
..And waters wide no sail may tame,
......with shores encircled dark and sheer.

..O! Haven where my heart would be!
......the waves beat upon thy bar
..For ever echo endlessly,
......when longing leads thy thought afar

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jan 4 2013, 5:28pm

Post #9 of 83 (141 views)
Shortcut
I know the feeling! [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to love spider solitaire, but haven't played it in quite a while.

I hope you're able to tone it down a little bit this year! Tongue

imin
Valinor

Jan 4 2013, 5:29pm

Post #10 of 83 (147 views)
Shortcut
New years resolutions/plans [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a few some may take longer to achieve than others.

1. Get a job - hopefully have one on the 9th.
2. Lose weight - im fat and i dislike that immensely as i used to be ripped. I think this will take 50 weeks if i have no hiccups along the way - in reality i think it could take about 1.5 years. (once you get lean it takes a long time to then get to ripped).
3. Learn how to drive
4. Get a car.
5. Go abroad for first time in 10 years - specifically somewhere i can see the Northern Lights/Aurora Borealis - thinking Scandinavia.
6. Earn money from job to achieve 2,3,4,5 and pay back student debt.

Edit: Start a post grad degree as well. Though requires number 1 to come true again like the rest of my list (other than maybe 2), lol.

(This post was edited by imin on Jan 4 2013, 5:32pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 4 2013, 5:29pm

Post #11 of 83 (136 views)
Shortcut
I like that resolution! [In reply to] Can't Post

To not make any resolutions! Laugh

*brews up a pot of coffee* Back at work, also - have you ever noticed how a new years looks very similar to the one that's just passed?

I'm hoping to see The Hobbit again this weekend. At first I was thinking of heading to a hfr theater an hour away, but then realized: I'd have to wear 3D glasses, and my right eye - which had surgery a few months back - is still not back up to normal pressure so I've got a "waviness" which lenses can't correct. My left eye compensates for this so I can see just fine, but I have the feeling that the 3D glasses would cause a partial blur! Unsure

So, it will have to be 2D...but that's okay! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 4 2013, 5:31pm

Post #12 of 83 (130 views)
Shortcut
A Happy New Year to you, Evey! [In reply to] Can't Post

So - got any plans for the year, yet? Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 4 2013, 5:32pm

Post #13 of 83 (141 views)
Shortcut
That's ambitious! [In reply to] Can't Post

And good for you, too - best of luck with it! Smile

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jan 4 2013, 5:33pm

Post #14 of 83 (128 views)
Shortcut
I noticed that too :-P [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think I've ever made a new year's resolution

What did you have done to your eye?

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jan 4 2013, 5:34pm

Post #15 of 83 (136 views)
Shortcut
Maybe now that you have a very specific goal [In reply to] Can't Post

you will soon no longer hate it.

Good luck finding that finish line Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 4 2013, 5:36pm

Post #16 of 83 (128 views)
Shortcut
You are certainly a person of multiple talents! [In reply to] Can't Post

Are you making a Hobbity or Dwarvish sweater? Wink

That is quite a fancy teapot, and love the color! But I cannot read the fired-y letters - what do they say?

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jan 4 2013, 5:37pm

Post #17 of 83 (121 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like a good, positive agenda [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you get your job on the 9th and can put the rest of your plan into action! I'd also like to see the Aurora Borealis, perhaps in Canada---although I'm sure I'd enjoy seeing Scandinavia.

Here's to success in 2013!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 4 2013, 5:37pm

Post #18 of 83 (129 views)
Shortcut
Any ideas [In reply to] Can't Post

on whereabouts you might be going for work? Are you all packed and ready to head off?

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jan 4 2013, 5:39pm

Post #19 of 83 (124 views)
Shortcut
haha so puny [In reply to] Can't Post

the fired-y letters say
Police Public Call Box
since of course it is a tardis tea pot

I was hoping it would fire bright blue, but I can be happy with just blue (firing is finicky) and call it travel worn

and, yes it does fit more tea on the inside
(than the outside)

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jan 4 2013, 5:40pm

Post #20 of 83 (115 views)
Shortcut
Funny how the new year resembles the last one, yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Weather-wise, it's just the same here in Texas, COLD for a change. (Well, okay, temps hovering around freezing are probably not so cold to you northerners, but we've all got goose bumps Shocked )

I was dubious about seeing the Hobbit for the second time in 3D HFR, what with having to wear the 3D glasses over my regular glasses and with my left eye being, well, a bit off (not from surgery, though). But I had no trouble at all and thoroughly enjoyed the movie.

However you get to see it, have a good time! And a great 2013 to you!

imin
Valinor

Jan 4 2013, 5:42pm

Post #21 of 83 (118 views)
Shortcut
No not yet :P [In reply to] Can't Post

I dont know where i am going, but i am hoping for my home county. Wont know exactly where until April sometime but its enough for me to know that i have a job somewhere. Unfortunately for me it wouldn't be until August 1st til i could start that job, so a long wait.

Though i am trying to look at it as a positive as it lets me lose weight before i start.

I will have to get a job before that job i think, lol.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jan 4 2013, 5:42pm

Post #22 of 83 (118 views)
Shortcut
I love it! [In reply to] Can't Post

A TARDIS teapot---what a great idea! So are you knitting a cozy for it that looks like Tom Baker's long muffler Wink ?

imin
Valinor

Jan 4 2013, 5:43pm

Post #23 of 83 (118 views)
Shortcut
Thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

I would love to go to Canada, though being in the UK i thought it would cost more than flights to Scandinavia - ah so many places i want to travel, will have to win the lottery first, lol.

Oh and good luck reducing your time on freecell :)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 4 2013, 5:47pm

Post #24 of 83 (115 views)
Shortcut
A simple procedure [In reply to] Can't Post

called a trabeculectomy. An incision is made in the upper part of the eyeball, in such a way that it heals and forms a little pocket, or "bleb", into which fluid can pass in order to keep the pressure down within the eye. I'm hereditarily pre-glaucomic, so this assures that the pressure within the eye will not get high enough to damage the optic nerve. But the pressure has been very low since the surgery, it's very slowly getting back up to a normal level.

As a result, the retina is sort of "folding" because of the blood vessels behind it, there's not enough pressure to force it to lay flat, so I'm seeing wavy straight lines and "echoes" of objects.

And the cataract doesn't help, either...Tongue

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 4 2013, 5:53pm

Post #25 of 83 (127 views)
Shortcut
*zooom.... screeeech* I'm running through! Look out! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nasty busy, as usual... but I wanted to stop by and wish each and every one of you the BEST of this New Year ALL YEAR LONG! and on into the next, and the next, and so on and so forth EORLINGAS!

My Holiday was action-packed and much to short, but full of good cheer with family and FOOD!!!

My resolution is to utterly fail at losing weight yet again. HOWEVER, it seems the steroids I took over a year ago may finally be letting loose their hold on me and I'm actually starting to lose a bit of the nearly 15 lbs I gained because of those 'roids. CURSE THEM! So there may be some hope of success, finally :D *geeky happy dance--aerobically speaking*

Take care, dear friends... Stay Safe!!

*HUGGLES*

*zoooom*

gramma's The Hobbit: Unexpected Journey Line Party Report & Review

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.