Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Okay, ladies…
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 4 2013, 8:45am

Post #51 of 96 (606 views)
Shortcut
He can change! He just needs someone to take care of him. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jan 4 2013, 9:13am

Post #52 of 96 (632 views)
Shortcut
Aha! [In reply to] Can't Post

So, do share: what is it about book-Thorin that you find more attractive than movie-Thorin? I never found book-Thorin to be particularly sympathetic or nuanced, which I think is in complete opposition (and welcomely so, to me at least!) to movie-Thorin. So I'm curious to see what you find fangirl-worthy in book-Thorin.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jan 4 2013, 10:15am

Post #53 of 96 (663 views)
Shortcut
Can a Dwarf be manly? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin had me on the doorstep, and I don't think I stop drooling for the whole movie. I love the striding down the pine tree bit too. Such courage...such bravery...such hotness. *ahem*

So, have to ask: you meet Thorin and Aragorn in the woods. Which one do you follow home?

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 4 2013, 10:48am

Post #54 of 96 (626 views)
Shortcut
No contest [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn by miles.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 4 2013, 10:53am

Post #55 of 96 (616 views)
Shortcut
I know you weren't really asking me [In reply to] Can't Post

but I just had to put in my two cents worth.
Perhaps this question is Pollantir-worthy?

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Jan 4 2013, 11:14am

Post #56 of 96 (626 views)
Shortcut
Love love love RA's Thorin in this one - but I'd still follow Aragorn home. [In reply to] Can't Post

So, have to ask: you meet Thorin and Aragorn in the woods. Which one do you follow home?

Yes, RA's Thorin vibrates with passion, but it's all for his cause, there would be none left for a woman, ladies. He has never married, did you notice that? He is so blasted honourable that if there HAD been a woman in his life in the past 100 years or so he would have married her. And it's going to get worse before the end, I'm afraid. There is no room in his life now for that quality Magpie rightly says we all yearn for in a man:

I mean to look at a woman and 'see' her. To be present with her. To take her in (in your attention) to the point of shutting other things out at times.

Which will make his final scene even more heart-breaking. We'll all be thinking, "I could have been the one to pick up the pieces after his shattering realizations! I could have been the one to teach him how to value food and cheer and song! I could have saved his brooding, smoldering carscass, and we would have lived passionately ever after!" (wild sobbing throughout theaters all over the world)

So, I'd still go home with Strider because his love sits right up there equally with his sense of responsibility to do what his destiny demands, and he "saw" Eowyn as well as Arwen. And we haven't even mentioned Faramir - scholar, warrior, see-er of woman. (sigh)

Blush I'm gettin' just a tad dramatic here, but these guys sorta' bring it out in us, don't they? Who's writing this Hobbit stuff!Crazy

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 4 2013, 11:26am

Post #57 of 96 (607 views)
Shortcut
And [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin would always be getting lost and refusing to look at the map, or listen to your directions.

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Jan 4 2013, 11:28am

Post #58 of 96 (601 views)
Shortcut
Ain't that the truth!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Jan 4 2013, 11:53am

Post #59 of 96 (565 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn all the way! // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 4 2013, 12:03pm

Post #60 of 96 (584 views)
Shortcut
Well, make the most of Aragorn *ruling* [In reply to] Can't Post

Team Thorin will be along shortly...Laugh

Elvanui
Rivendell

Jan 4 2013, 12:17pm

Post #61 of 96 (625 views)
Shortcut
Actually, [In reply to] Can't Post

he had me during Bilbo's description of him in the Erebor introduction. The part that starts 'the young Dwarf prince' and shows Thorin leading the small group of Dwarves up to a precipice looking out over a valley, and ends with 'and he never forgave, and he never forgot' - wonderful script, delivery by Ian Holm, character-setting, and eye candy to boot Tongue

And I'd take Fili over Kili any day!

"...under all there was a great joy: a fountain of mirth enough to set a kingdom laughing, were it to gush forth."

The Grey Elf
Gondor

Jan 4 2013, 12:28pm

Post #62 of 96 (595 views)
Shortcut
Agree with you on Fili [In reply to] Can't Post

Absolutely nothing against Aidan or his character but that roquish twinkle in Fili's eyes is so very fetching, my attention is drawn to him rather than Kili. On the attractiveness score, between Fili and his Uncle Thorin, I'm all about the eyes :-)

Pimmiko
Bree

Jan 4 2013, 1:19pm

Post #63 of 96 (588 views)
Shortcut
Well, diamonds are a girl's best friend [In reply to] Can't Post

and I bet Thorin has plenty of those for his lady Wink
Seriously, I'm quite sensitive for a man's voice and Thorin has that beautiful low manly voice I can't resist. And that sorrow in his eyes...
I read somewhere that RA actually practised lowing his voice by reading Shakespeare. For me, that finally does it Smile

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jan 4 2013, 3:11pm

Post #64 of 96 (509 views)
Shortcut
I bet the good professor... [In reply to] Can't Post

...if he were somehow able to read this discussion, would be utterly nonplussed by it. He obviously understood "romance" in the literary sense, but in the estrogen-spiking sense? Not so much.

But that's the thing about an excellent author. He (or she) achieves ends that he never intended to pursue!

ashonmytomatoes
Bree

Jan 4 2013, 3:39pm

Post #65 of 96 (497 views)
Shortcut
*Dies* [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, indeed. That voice. Could you imagine if he played Heathcliff in an adaptation of Wuthering Heights. I feel faint just thinking about that.

Old Toby
Gondor

Jan 4 2013, 3:51pm

Post #66 of 96 (497 views)
Shortcut
Thorin! [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay, I completely understand the why's of choosing Aragorn. He's handsome, a skilled fighter, not confilicted, won't get lost in the woods, and likes touching ears. However, since the vast majority of women here would choose Aragorn, I'm going for Thorin. Not just to be contrary, and not just because I usually side with the underdog. Thorin as depicted in this film is noble and self-sacrificing, willing to risk his life even for those he deems unworthy (Bilbo). He's a born leader and commands respect by leading by example rather than by force. Still, there's a gentleness and quietness behind those piercing eyes that tell of a side of himself he doesn't reveal to those he's leading, with the possible exception of Balin, his trusted advisor. Speaking of which for all his stubbornness, he always seems to trust Gandalf's judgments in the end.

Besides, following Aragorn home would be a long and tiresome journey, I'm sure. I wouldn't be able to keep up. They didn't call him Strider for nothing! And, you know, Thorin's hair is WAY nicer than mine!!
;)

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 4 2013, 3:58pm

Post #67 of 96 (492 views)
Shortcut
Yes, Faramir [In reply to] Can't Post

Whose father dismisses his lordly tendencies. For me, the biggest tragedy of ROTK was the loss of the Faramir/Eowyn story, hardly rectified in the EE. I loved book Faramir and his general sense of the romantic. I mean, Aragorn leaves Arwen hanging on for decades...

True about Thorin's lack of a woman in his life (the Professor addresses the general non-marrying nature of dwarves). Guess us girls always want the guys that are hardest to get.

In Reply To

So, I'd still go home with Strider because his love sits right up there equally with his sense of responsibility to do what his destiny demands, and he "saw" Eowyn as well as Arwen. And we haven't even mentioned Faramir - scholar, warrior, see-er of woman. (sigh)

Blush I'm gettin' just a tad dramatic here, but these guys sorta' bring it out in us, don't they? Who's writing this Hobbit stuff!Crazy

Elenorflower
Gondor

Jan 4 2013, 4:15pm

Post #68 of 96 (500 views)
Shortcut
Thorin? shmorin, [In reply to] Can't Post

I prefer an Elf on a Elk any day. He's got that Art Nouveau Lucius Malfoy bad boy vibe. Wink

Ref
Rivendell

Jan 4 2013, 4:19pm

Post #69 of 96 (459 views)
Shortcut
RE: Starling [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Thorin would always be getting lost and refusing to look at the map, or listen to your directions.

So like most men then Wink

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

*~* Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week *~*

Icon made by the talented dark_jackal32

Elenorflower
Gondor

Jan 4 2013, 4:20pm

Post #70 of 96 (467 views)
Shortcut
Thorin is a pocket sized sweetie [In reply to] Can't Post

but his head wouldnt even reach your er.. arm pits.

Boromir now, theres a real armful of beef.

Delrond
Rohan

Jan 4 2013, 4:33pm

Post #71 of 96 (506 views)
Shortcut
First impressions... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was taken in by his being fashionably late. Oooh, what a man-dwarf to keep us is suspense. Then that uber-manly knock at the door - everyone held their collective breaths; eventually I had to swallow my mouthful of popcorn though. The real kicker was a combo - his getting lost and not asking anyone for directions, then complaining about how difficult it was to find the place. Hell, even that airhead Kili found it, though he probably just followed Fili.

Keep it quiet back there! Am I gonna have to pull this horse over? Who wants the the Hot Wheels track across the face? You, Dwalin? From then on, it all just seemed like a dream. Heart

A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 4 2013, 4:48pm

Post #72 of 96 (446 views)
Shortcut
Here comes Team Thorin!! [In reply to] Can't Post

That voice. Those eyes. That passion. And I'm just the woman to show him the way...EvilShockedAngelicLaugh

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 4 2013, 4:52pm

Post #73 of 96 (438 views)
Shortcut
With you 100 %, Grey Elf! [In reply to] Can't Post

From the moment they were first introduced, I've really liked the looks of Fili and Kili. But while Kili has that brooding angstiness about him, Fili has that cheeky, fun loving aspect about him.
But I'd also take Unky Thorin over both of them!

The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 4 2013, 4:54pm

Post #74 of 96 (444 views)
Shortcut
*flicks cherry sours at Delrond* [In reply to] Can't Post

Happy New Year to you, too! Laugh

iduna
Rivendell

Jan 4 2013, 5:31pm

Post #75 of 96 (406 views)
Shortcut
I agree, my heart was already gone... [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved North & South and Spooks/MI-5. Once I knew Richard would be playing the role, I had no doubt Thorin would be the hottest dwarf ever. And just because Thorin never marries or finds true love, doesn't mean he's not capable of it, IMHO. Power and passion -- it's all there.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.