Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Who else
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Erally
Bree

Jan 4 2013, 8:43am

Post #1 of 28 (789 views)
Shortcut
Who else Can't Post

was a little disappointed Peter chose to do it in 3D? I kind of hoped he was like Christopher Nolan and chose to do it in normal 2d which is much better...

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 4 2013, 8:46am

Post #2 of 28 (406 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

It isn't compulsory to see it in 3D. Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 4 2013, 8:47am

Post #3 of 28 (391 views)
Shortcut
I didn't have a problem with the 3D [In reply to] Can't Post

The film didn't really seem like a 3D film - it wasn't overdone (like many animated 3D films), and it wasn't really obvious (like Avatar).

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Joe20
Lorien

Jan 4 2013, 8:50am

Post #4 of 28 (394 views)
Shortcut
You know... [In reply to] Can't Post

you can watch it in 2D Tongue. But seriously, I loved the 3D (and 48fps) I felt it added alot. Especially during the goblin town sequence. It really helped to show the vastness of the area.

And another stand out section was the eagle rescue on the way to the Carrock. THis shot was spectacular in 3D and 48fps. I felt like I was going to fall into the screen Smile

Mooseboy018
Gondor

Jan 4 2013, 8:53am

Post #5 of 28 (390 views)
Shortcut
big bad 3D [In reply to] Can't Post

Did the fact that it was shot in 3D somehow mess with your 2D viewing experience?

I don't see it as that big of a deal. I don't like how 3D has become such a big money grab for studios after Avatar, but the Hobbit's 3D was actually done right, so I didn't have a problem with it.

And it didn't change the look of the film. PJ's style didn't suddenly change just because they were shooting it in 3D.

herzogian
Bree

Jan 4 2013, 8:54am

Post #6 of 28 (375 views)
Shortcut
3d [In reply to] Can't Post

Not me. 3d works good on this epic adventure movies. Certainly with all the landscapes. Secondly, you dont have to watch it in 3d or hfr, there's also a 2d version.
I understand the anger with the studio's who want there movies in 3d just for the sake of having 3d.Thats wrong cause not all movies work with 3d, batman or james bond etc wouldnt realy benefit from 3d. (the avengers didnt for me)

But the hobbit with its landscapes and sets, in my opinion, benefits from it. Mirkwood will be magical in 3d.

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Jan 4 2013, 9:50am

Post #7 of 28 (365 views)
Shortcut
I don't see why you should be disappointed... [In reply to] Can't Post

after all, as others have pointed out, there are in fact 7(?) different formats you can view the movie in. I personally didn't enjoy the 3D even though I've not been that bothered by it before, although the glasses are a pain and I feel like I'm being blinkered by them, but as I've said elsewhere, I simply prefer to see Middle-earth in 2D so that it matches the LotR experience for me.

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

Arannir
Valinor

Jan 4 2013, 10:15am

Post #8 of 28 (338 views)
Shortcut
Why when you can easily watch it in 2D? [In reply to] Can't Post

Because it sounds so nicely elitistic/artistic to be anti-3D?

Erally
Bree

Jan 4 2013, 10:56am

Post #9 of 28 (320 views)
Shortcut
In my hometown I was only able to watch it in 3D // [In reply to] Can't Post

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 4 2013, 11:22am

Post #10 of 28 (309 views)
Shortcut
Oh darn [In reply to] Can't Post

so it *was* compulsory for you to see it in 3D!
I enjoyed it in 3D, but I would be grumpy if it was my only choice, as I enjoyed it more in 2D at my second viewing.

mefansmum
Rivendell

Jan 4 2013, 1:44pm

Post #11 of 28 (285 views)
Shortcut
I liked it better it in 3D HFR [In reply to] Can't Post

so no complaints from me.

triptrap
Lorien

Jan 4 2013, 1:48pm

Post #12 of 28 (258 views)
Shortcut
i'm sorry for you [In reply to] Can't Post

but yes, there are places where you have no choice. i didn't have to watch it in 3d but in my town there was only 48fps and i really would have liekd to watch it the "traditional" way

Arannir
Valinor

Jan 4 2013, 2:08pm

Post #13 of 28 (242 views)
Shortcut
But that is the choice of the theatre's then... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and not really the reason for PJ (and especially the studio) to stay away from a technology he believes in.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 4 2013, 2:10pm

Post #14 of 28 (238 views)
Shortcut
I was under the impression that ... [In reply to] Can't Post

All cinemas showing TH automatically got sent the 2D version. They only get sent the 3D version if they opt in.

Either way, it's the cinema's odd decision. Perhaps they thought more people would prefer the 3D version?

imin
Valinor

Jan 4 2013, 2:14pm

Post #15 of 28 (232 views)
Shortcut
No no not about preferences [In reply to] Can't Post

It is about money - 3d tickets make more money.

If the cinema thinks it can get away with just showing something that costs more they will - just business.

Lost Hobbit
Rivendell

Jan 4 2013, 2:53pm

Post #16 of 28 (218 views)
Shortcut
Option [In reply to] Can't Post

At least I had an option to watch it in classic 2D and I did, two times. Intended to go to 48 fps, but just gave up thinking of it, watching old 2d helps me in with comparing the film visually with the previous trilogy. Don't need any 3d or 48 fps, I want all three of them to stay in my memory they way it should've originally been. So I don't care about Peter emphasizing the 3D 48 fps topic, I've got my own version of the film.

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Jan 4 2013, 3:10pm

Post #17 of 28 (210 views)
Shortcut
i would have [In reply to] Can't Post

if it had overly compromised the way they composed the shots in the movie. when some early reviews came back saying, "the 3D doesn't do all that much," i was breathing a sigh of relief. in fact, the only shot i felt like was a real obvious play on the 3D was the very brief one where the Troll's teeth get knocked out towards the screen, but it still worked fine in the 2D viewing, I wasn't thinking, "oh, yeah, that was supposed to be 3D." compare this to a horrible movie like Harold & Kumar's Christmas where there are just a ton of shots you can tell were set up in a certain way only because they were trying to maximize the 3D effect with little concern to how well the shots actually worked together or in the movie as a whole.

so, yeah, no problem with it. i've never liked 3D but it's an option that some people do. if it doesn't have a serious impact on the compositions then it's fine with me.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 4 2013, 3:18pm

Post #18 of 28 (198 views)
Shortcut
But they should've had the 2D version regardless [In reply to] Can't Post

Then again ... I'm basing this on UK cinema's.

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Jan 4 2013, 3:18pm

Post #19 of 28 (201 views)
Shortcut
oh, wow, yeah...that sucks [In reply to] Can't Post

that's really weird. pretty sure the filmmakers would have liked everyone to have the option of watching it in 2D but they don't really control that stuff; i'm surprised 3D was your only option where you live. usually the 2D showings are the most common if there's only one option available...

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Jan 4 2013, 3:21pm

Post #20 of 28 (236 views)
Shortcut
what? you had HFR without 3D? [In reply to] Can't Post

i didn't think they had non-3D HFR versions of the film?

Lost Hobbit
Rivendell

Jan 4 2013, 4:24pm

Post #21 of 28 (181 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

There is not such things as non-3d hfr.

I wonder how will the film look like oh hi-khz screen/broadcast.

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 4 2013, 5:30pm

Post #22 of 28 (150 views)
Shortcut
I can concur on that... [In reply to] Can't Post

The 3-D was subtle, except in some places where it became really breathtaking.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 4 2013, 5:57pm

Post #23 of 28 (148 views)
Shortcut
Unless you close one eye! [In reply to] Can't Post

Or get those special glasses. Cool

pandoraziki
Rivendell

Jan 4 2013, 6:22pm

Post #24 of 28 (132 views)
Shortcut
I enjoyed the 3D version [In reply to] Can't Post

As it's not really done to be "in your face", but rather to enhance the depth of field of the picture.

percy
The Shire

Jan 4 2013, 7:52pm

Post #25 of 28 (108 views)
Shortcut
A novelty [In reply to] Can't Post

I was a little bit irked when I heard that it was going to be shot in 3D, just because it is and always will be a simple novelty, and one that not everyone can even view properly. I don't necessarily mind the format, but I'll only ever opt to watch a 3D movie for one viewing. Every other time after that, it's 2D for me.

In my town, the theater only offered 24p 3D, so that's what I saw it in originally because I didn't want to go out of town. It was fine, but utterly superfluous. But as others have said, the fact that it was shot in 3D didn't radically alter the style from LOTR. It was much more relaxing to watch it in 2D in my second viewing, however.

I understand why studios and even filmmakers want to push 3D, as the concept is certainly attractive in theory... but in reality, most viewers are accustomed to 2D, (and 24p while we're at it) simply because that is part of the whole grammar of filmmaking that's been established for decades. That isn't to say that an artist should be stifled by old forms, but it should always be optional to view in 3D, HFR, etc.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.