Would it be too hard to make a" DOS Thread "Catagory &

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jan 4 2013, 7:27am

Post #1 of 11 (1082 views)
Shortcut
Would it be too hard to make a" DOS Thread "Catagory & Can't Post

"There and Back again Catagory"?...

TH is packed with discussions about the next 2 movies!
Bomby would think that they would eventually need to be made..but why not? NOW.
Many pertantent TH disscusion are pushed off the first page by DOS and TABA speculations.
THANG you very Buch...Bomby

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 4 2013, 3:13pm

Post #2 of 11 (984 views)
Shortcut
I think this is what you're saying... [In reply to] Can't Post

that there are now two types of Hobbit movie conversations:

One type pertains to the movie that is already out.

The other type pertains to the next two movies yet to be released.

For me, I'm ready to engage in heavy conversation about the first one.

But I am still very wary of spoilers for the second two and people are occasionally putting spoilers for the next two in their subject lines. It doesn't have to be earthshaking news to be considered a spoiler and for someone closely following the movies, some things don't seem like spoilers at all, but for those of us trying hard to stay spoiler free, every bit of news is a potential spoiler.

So, I'm checking the Hobbit board but very warily.

just my observations.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 4 2013, 3:27pm

Post #3 of 11 (982 views)
Shortcut
Effectively splitting the current board in half? [In reply to] Can't Post

*Puts nose in where it's probably not wanted*

Into a:

Movie Discussion: The Hobbit (Spoilers allowed)
Movie Discussion: The Hobbit (DOS and TABA spoilers prohibited)

I've seen this kind of thing elsewhere. Is that what you meant Bombadil? (Accidentally clicked reply to your post Magpie, sorry.) Only problem is that you would get duplicate speculation posts in both kind of boards. Would that increase the problem, rather than resolve it?

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Jan 4 2013, 3:31pm)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 4 2013, 3:38pm

Post #4 of 11 (972 views)
Shortcut
We got through all three LOTR movies with one forum [In reply to] Can't Post

so we should be OK. What we will do is watch the spoilers for the upcoming movies, but now that the first one has been released everywhere (except China, I think), we allow spoilers for AUJ.

It is tricky for people who want to avoid spoilers, but as Daniel said, it will be next to impossible to maintain order between two boards and we'll get a lot of duplication.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 4 2013, 3:41pm

Post #5 of 11 (996 views)
Shortcut
to be honest... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think they'll split the boards. But it doesn't hurt to dream, does it?

(I once dreamed that Hobbit movie threads would be on one board and LOTR movie threads would be on another board... that dream came true!)

What I'm talking about is not a "Hobbit - no spoiler prohibited" board. I'm talking about a Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey board. And then, in late December 2013, the board would become a Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey & Desolation of Smaug board. No speculations required on a movie that's already out.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

NottaSackville
Valinor

Jan 4 2013, 4:40pm

Post #6 of 11 (968 views)
Shortcut
to be honest... [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree - I think two boards would be nice, and not that complicated. If it is about a released movie, it goes on the first board. If it contains speculation/news about future movies, it goes on the second board.

There will certainly be grey areas, which we could gently nudge in the decided direction (probably the unreleased board).

It would definitely make it nicer for those of us going spoiler free - but as always, this is a free site run by volunteers, so this is just a polite "me too"!

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jan 4 2013, 4:54pm

Post #7 of 11 (985 views)
Shortcut
I'll add a polite "me too" as well. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have nothing else to add, really, other than that I think it's a great idea. I'll be right there dreaming with you, Magpie Smile

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jan 6 2013, 8:54pm

Post #8 of 11 (968 views)
Shortcut
Agreed it would be a nice idea [In reply to] Can't Post

Like DanielLB *Sticks nose where it shouldn't really be, but nevertheless it's worth a nose every now and then*

Obviously these things are always easier said than done, but the other good reason for another board is the sheer amount of threads posted on The Hobbit board most days: there's over twice the amount of threads that the LOTR board has ever had and we've still got two more films to come, so I think it would make sense to split into three boards of AUJ, DOS and TABA (As each one is released, so at the moment one for AUJ and other one covers DOS and TABA).

Obviously I'm not trying to criticize anything about this truly brilliant site (and the admins least of all), but I'm afraid that the discussions on The Hobbit board usually move at too fast a rate for me for me to keep up with these days.
Laugh

"These are Gundabad Wargs! They will outrun you!"

"THESE are Rhosgobel Rabbits! I'd like to see them try...."

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 6 2013, 9:55pm

Post #9 of 11 (958 views)
Shortcut
It will slow down as the months go by. [In reply to] Can't Post

TORN's film boards are always busiest immediately following a film's release. (We'll get another surge when the DVDs come out.)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Altaira
Superuser

Jan 9 2013, 7:57pm

Post #10 of 11 (981 views)
Shortcut
It might sound like a good idea now [In reply to] Can't Post

But, I can see some problems down the road as each successive movie is released: if I want to post about comparing the first two movies, where would I put the post? After all three movies are out, which board would I post on if I want to discuss Thorin's character arc over the three movies if there are three Hobbit boards? Would the AUJ board become a ghost-town by the time the third movie is out? Where do people go who want to discuss DOS now but want to largely avoid spoilers?

Theoretically, if we created new boards for each Hobbit movie they could eventually be combined, but each thread would have to be moved one-at-a-time and I don't know anyone who has the time to move 6,500+++ threads to a new board.

From experience, I think the Hobbit board will eventually make a natural transition from a majority of discussions being about AUJ to a majority being about DOS, etc. We'll handle spoilers the same way we did with AUJ, by editing true spoilers (not speculation) out of subject lines and asking people to be careful about it. People who want to avoid true DOS spoilers will just have to avoid that board right before the premier until they've seen it.

(sorry if I seemed to ignore this thread -- I've had the crud for weeks and what energy I an muster I have to use for work Pirate)

p.s. remember you an always increase the number of threads you can see on page one - see the sticky about high board traffic at the top of the Hobbit board)

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jan 9 2013, 7:59pm)

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Jan 12 2013, 2:19am

Post #11 of 11 (970 views)
Shortcut
At first I thought this was asking too much but [In reply to] Can't Post

while I understand the thin line between speculation and spoiler .... I would prefer to be able to discuss AUJ without seeing the speculation and spoilery bits about DOS....I avoided The Hobbit board before the movie and it seems like I'm going to have to forego conversation about AUJ to avoid learning too much about DOS ahead of time.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.