Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Crucial Scenes in the Films

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 4 2013, 1:01am

Post #1 of 17 (870 views)
Shortcut
Crucial Scenes in the Films Can't Post

In AUJ, the Riddle Game was crucial, and I thought it was one of the best parts of the film.

There are some other critical scenes coming up, and how they are handled may well determine the success of the rest of the story to the world.

My picks for really critical stuff.

1. Bilbo's plan to rescue the dwarves, and their reactions
2. Bilbo vs. the Dragon interaction This is on-par with Gollum. The dragon must be seen as a threat, yet somehow charismatic and obviously intelligent, with his powers of persuasion in full display.
3. Bilbo and the Arkenstone situation - very sticky to handle. Is he getting more Gollumi-ish at this point/ At least in terms of being secretive and lying?
4. The siege period where the dwarves are stuck in the mountain with Men and Elves outside. This could be a really interesting conflict. You want the audience to side with Bilbo, who's tired of gold-sickness, etc. and feels sorry for the men having lost their homes, too.
5. Thorin's death bed scene. These are pretty much an actor's favorite type of scene, but we've seen some good ones in LOTR. Boromir was good, and so was Theoden. Some were not so good, like Denethor. I wonder what we'll get this time.

Thoughts?

Rostron

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 4 2013, 1:53am

Post #2 of 17 (493 views)
Shortcut
How they handle Thranduil [In reply to] Can't Post

Will he be characterized as a total jerk, this making us more sympathetic to Thorin? Or will he be more nuanced, to allow us to understand why Bilbo does what he does?

Also, Master of Laketown scenes. I'm a little worried it might be overbroad, Denethor-style (love Mr. Fry, though).

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 4 2013, 2:03am

Post #3 of 17 (443 views)
Shortcut
From Bladerunner: The Importance of the Auction Scene [In reply to] Can't Post

In the recent thread discussing what might have been different had the Hobbit been filmed before the Lord of the Rings (ref: http://newboards.theonering.net/...;;page=unread#unread) several posters suggested persuasively that many parts of the book would have been sacrificed to tell the story in one film.

This got me thinking that the auction scene would likely have been one of the casualties, and that would have been tragic.

The way that the themes of home-sickness, homelessness, sense of place and identity are being developed in the current films, will make the auction scene, during which Bilbo is nearly disowned, displaced and dispossessed of all of his connections to his community, extremely important.

There's lots of good stuff to mine (dwarf reference intended) from this part of the story.

By the time Bilbo returns, he will be a much different person, with newfound perspective on what "things" are truly important.

It will also externalize his internal changes.

(Often you can tell how much you've changed by returning to a place you've been).

The auction scene will be dripping with irony.

"Indeed Bilbo found that he had lost more than spoons - he had lost his reputation."

I am really looking forward to how Martin Freeman plays Bilbo during his "homecoming" in the final film.

This scene should hold its own against more dramatic scenes such as Riddles in the Dark, the conversation with Smaug, and the Thorin/Arkenstone conflict.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

flameofudun
Lorien

Jan 4 2013, 2:08am

Post #4 of 17 (442 views)
Shortcut
Denethors death was good, I thought. [In reply to] Can't Post

All the deaths in lotr and even the hobbit are. They suit their respective characters. Denethor was depressed and bareley sane by the time he died. I thought this was well done, because the others died from their wounds, and expected it more, and were surrounded by the friends or family. Denethor took his own life , and had no friends or families around him, thus he would not have given a kind of memorable last words kind of thing before he died. He wouldn't have died calm.

''We are very dangerous over short distances''

-Gimli

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jan 4 2013, 2:53am

Post #5 of 17 (392 views)
Shortcut
No, I cannot agree on Denethor. By the way, where is your Balrog icon? [In reply to] Can't Post

You can't run around being FlameofUdun with not Balrog picture!

But Denethor's death . . . it looked like Gandalf and Shadowfax murdered him. It was awful.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jan 4 2013, 8:32am

Post #6 of 17 (386 views)
Shortcut
So far, Thranduil is hardly inspiring... [In reply to] Can't Post

He's got less personality than Celeborn (who admittedly improved greatly in the EE): flat, cold, and fairly emotionless. I'm hoping we get to see a bit more to him, especially since he should be a key player in the Bo5A.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jan 4 2013, 10:08am

Post #7 of 17 (285 views)
Shortcut
I'm out of the loop... [In reply to] Can't Post

as usual...is the auction confirmed? I have a hard time thinking PJ will spend too much time with the denouement. He cut it pretty short in ROTK. However, upon reflection, I suppose the fondness for his belongings that he showed in the beginning of AUJ sets him up for a strong reaction to coming home and finding the auction in progress.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 4 2013, 10:21am

Post #8 of 17 (280 views)
Shortcut
Vlog 6 has a brief glimpse of all of Bilbo's belongings outside [In reply to] Can't Post

See here.

Smile

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

stoutfiles
Rohan

Jan 4 2013, 2:01pm

Post #9 of 17 (228 views)
Shortcut
Looked like? [In reply to] Can't Post

But Denethor's death . . . it looked like Gandalf and Shadowfax murdered him. It was awful.

Oh, they most certainty did! Just remember that PJ's Denethor was quite evil/mad, so this was...acceptable I guess? The really bad part of that scene was Denethor being able to run a quarter mile while on fire.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 4 2013, 2:12pm

Post #10 of 17 (221 views)
Shortcut
Don't blame Shadowfax! [In reply to] Can't Post

He was trying to put out the flames. Didn't you see that? Poor Shadowfax just accidently nudged Denethor as well.

Evil

Lindele
Gondor

Jan 4 2013, 2:22pm

Post #11 of 17 (256 views)
Shortcut
are you kidding? [In reply to] Can't Post

he didn't even have a line in the film...
how can you judge his character by two shots of him looking on?

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 4 2013, 4:49pm

Post #12 of 17 (190 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it will depend on how much screen time he gets, and how the meeting between Thorin and the dwarves goes when they are taken captive. That will set the tone. The old dwarven/elven grievances may come into play, but since there's not much backstory on it, I wonder how they will do the 'distrust'. WE all know the history of dwarves and elves, but simply deciding not to help against the dragon is the tip of the iceberg for the deep-seated feelings of each race for the other.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jan 4 2013, 6:58pm

Post #13 of 17 (197 views)
Shortcut
I disagree. Thranduil has evinced a personality of pride and almost alien calculation [In reply to] Can't Post

He is cold but not flat. In an extreme, cold can be a type of emotion, and in his case it is. He seems equally aloof and unpleasant. I hope more of his better traits come through as the films progress, but he certainly did not seem like cardboard. Ice perhaps.

In Reply To
He's got less personality than Celeborn (who admittedly improved greatly in the EE): flat, cold, and fairly emotionless. I'm hoping we get to see a bit more to him, especially since he should be a key player in the Bo5A.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 4 2013, 8:05pm

Post #14 of 17 (155 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

He looked to me like he was practising his poses for a photo shoot in a glossy elf fashion magazine.

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 4 2013, 8:17pm

Post #15 of 17 (156 views)
Shortcut
Lee Pace [In reply to] Can't Post

Lee Pace has some very good range. He played a thoroughly haughty, arrogant (and completely unlikeable)Congressman in Lincoln, so he can go to that extreme if they want to. They may have dialed it back to more of what you say...calculating. We shall see.

Bladerunner
Gondor

Jan 5 2013, 12:05am

Post #16 of 17 (112 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo travels halfway across Middle-earth to help evict a dragon that had evicted the dwarves from their home... [In reply to] Can't Post

and suddenly he finds himself being evicted by his own home-grown mini- Smaug's in the form of the Sackville-Baggin's....

ryouko
Lorien

Jan 5 2013, 3:20am

Post #17 of 17 (120 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

I never thought of him as "flat" and without a personality. He only had a short little scene. But in that little bit, I found him fascinating. It made me want to see more of him and find out who he is! I would hardly be interested if he was flat. Wink

In Reply To
He is cold but not flat. In an extreme, cold can be a type of emotion, and in his case it is. He seems equally aloof and unpleasant. I hope more of his better traits come through as the films progress, but he certainly did not seem like cardboard. Ice perhaps.

In Reply To

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.