Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Film 3: what's in store?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

TheBladeGlowsBlue
Rivendell

Jan 4 2013, 12:12am

Post #1 of 51 (1117 views)
Shortcut
Film 3: what's in store? Can't Post

This is a genuine inquiry - will the Hobbit (as we know it from the books) be done and dusted by the end of film 2 and film 3 be about what happens to the characters between then and the commencement of the FOTR?

Either way, a lot of back-stories will no doubt be on view - Balin re-taking Moria for example! Smile

Any thoughts on what we might see in film 3??

(Apologies if similar threads have been done on this, I am still new here and haven't read all threads on here)

Maegnas aen estar nin dagnir in yngyl im

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jan 4 2013, 12:34am

Post #2 of 51 (616 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

The story of The Hobbit is being told over all three films. There is no bridge-film planned.

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Jan 4 2013, 12:54am

Post #3 of 51 (545 views)
Shortcut
well i think its a interesting question [In reply to] Can't Post

i don't see BOT5A taking up the entire film, i would expect the first 45 minutes being the set-up and the battle itself. But what than will the remainder of the film focus on? surely it won't take another hour and a half to show Bilbo returning to the shire. I think there will be lots of appendix material in film 3, and it is possible they will weave the bridge material into film 3.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty, oh will you please take me home!!

(This post was edited by MouthofSauron on Jan 4 2013, 12:55am)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jan 4 2013, 12:58am

Post #4 of 51 (516 views)
Shortcut
But that wasn't the question [In reply to] Can't Post

It was if the story of the book will be over by the end of film 2. It will certainly not be finished.

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 4 2013, 1:13am

Post #5 of 51 (488 views)
Shortcut
I guess [In reply to] Can't Post

It depends on whether Smaug dies at the end of Film 2 or perhaps that's the cliffhanger and battle to open #3. It's entirely possible to have the dragon leave them at the mountain and go back to other scenes, after all, that's sort of how the book does it.

Here's the big stuff left to edit together for #2 Throw in a couple of cut away scenes for the Necromancer/council/hunting orcs, etc. and there's a lot

1. Beorn
2. More orc pursuit
3. Mirkwood part 1 - journey and minor hazards
4. Mirkwood Part 2 - journey and spiders
5. Capture and initial elven scenes
6. Bilbo's plan and escape of dwarves
7. Lake Town scenes
8. Going to Esgaroth
9. The secret door and cup
10. Bilbo and the dragon
11. Dragon leaves for town-baiting
12. Arkenstone and ravens -- they don't know what's happened at Esgaroth

So, there's still a battle to book-end the story in film 3 Dragon first, then 5 armies. Lots of stuff in between to fill that in, and then the journey home we end up with Bilbo hoping for a quiet life again, and we get -- the auction!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jan 4 2013, 1:22am

Post #6 of 51 (463 views)
Shortcut
The auction [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if it will be in the theatrical version or just relegated to the EE. PJ likes to rap up his films pretty quickly, so I don't imagine having a very long denouement.

jtarkey
Rohan

Jan 4 2013, 1:44am

Post #7 of 51 (509 views)
Shortcut
My main concern for TABA is Bilbo's story... [In reply to] Can't Post

He really doesn't have much to do. He steals the arkenstone and gets knocked out. I'm sure they will change it so that Bilbo gets knocked out at the end of the battle (fade to black, fade back in to a dusty barren battlefield).

However. there is going to need to be A LOT of made up character action for Bilbo if this is to remain his story. This is one of the reasons I'm least excited for TABA. Bilbo's part will have to be beefed up significantly to make him matter.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

hutch
Rohan

Jan 4 2013, 2:26am

Post #8 of 51 (451 views)
Shortcut
boooo! [In reply to] Can't Post

I want the Hunt for Gollum with Viggo and Ian!

Davy Jones could've been Bilbo...I mean he was a Brit with a sense for adventure, singing & dancing. And think of the costs it would've save with forced perspective: he was ACTUALLY 5'3. He also hung out with a grumpy tall dude in a hat (Mike Nesmith.) While we're at it let's just have Micky Dolenz and Peter Tork as Merry & Pippin.

hutch
Rohan

Jan 4 2013, 2:27am

Post #9 of 51 (459 views)
Shortcut
exactly why they should've... [In reply to] Can't Post

...made 2 Hobbit films and a bridge movie.

Davy Jones could've been Bilbo...I mean he was a Brit with a sense for adventure, singing & dancing. And think of the costs it would've save with forced perspective: he was ACTUALLY 5'3. He also hung out with a grumpy tall dude in a hat (Mike Nesmith.) While we're at it let's just have Micky Dolenz and Peter Tork as Merry & Pippin.

hutch
Rohan

Jan 4 2013, 2:28am

Post #10 of 51 (438 views)
Shortcut
wouldn't be much desolation in film 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

if he didn't die.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jan 4 2013, 2:39am

Post #11 of 51 (427 views)
Shortcut
Let's make a deal [In reply to] Can't Post

You can have the hunt for Gollum if I can have Aragorn & Arwen's first meeting.

glor
Rohan

Jan 4 2013, 2:52am

Post #12 of 51 (419 views)
Shortcut
unless.... [In reply to] Can't Post

..Bilbo is told the story after regaining consciousness, which is the point at which the viewer/film goer gets to see the battle themselves.

brucewayne
Bree

Jan 4 2013, 3:02am

Post #13 of 51 (419 views)
Shortcut
Do you know what Desolation means? [In reply to] Can't Post

The Desolation of Smaug refers to the desolate, barren wasteland surrounding the Lonely Mountain, due to Smaug's wrath. Nowhere does it imply in the title that Smaug will appear, much less him dying!

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jan 4 2013, 3:05am

Post #14 of 51 (424 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm film 3 eh? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wrapping up Smaug (whether this includes his death or not), war buildup politics, post DG politics (what Gandalf is up to), Most likely showing who all the evil army is and what the driving force is (Bolg/Necromancer/possibly Azog stuff), BoFA, Bilbo going home n what not....

Peter Jackson will have plenty of stuff to make a great final movie Smile

Rane
Bree

Jan 4 2013, 3:08am

Post #15 of 51 (424 views)
Shortcut
Climatically speaking [In reply to] Can't Post

I was thinking about how they'd handle the battle. Bilbo getting knocked out halfway though (thus missing some very important parts) isn't very cinematic. You need to think like a director. I have three theories:
1) He'll either get knocked out like in the book but with the focus being turned to Thorin
2) Like what you said, knocked out after the battle.
3) It will be in a flashback

Then there's always the chance that Peter Jackson will make him fight. Get carried off by the eagles or something if he's wounded.

hutch
Rohan

Jan 4 2013, 3:12am

Post #16 of 51 (384 views)
Shortcut
Let's share both [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

hutch
Rohan

Jan 4 2013, 3:14am

Post #17 of 51 (395 views)
Shortcut
but it's implied, right? [In reply to] Can't Post

When people in the movies say "I'm going to desolate you." they don't mean "I'm gonna steal all your jewels and leave you lonely."

Besides, part of the reasoning for splitting the films is bc they can't have people complaining of more than one ending again...I think.

And if 'The desolation of Smaug' doesn't allude to him being in film two, I would say the close up of the giant eyeball at the end of film 1 would be a hint. That and PJ saying people should expect a "big, angry dragon" in film 2.

(This post was edited by hutch on Jan 4 2013, 3:16am)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jan 4 2013, 3:26am

Post #18 of 51 (385 views)
Shortcut
He may not fall, but he almost CERTAINLY will appear. [In reply to] Can't Post

The reveal of his eye is a promise to the audience. Regardless of what Thorin hopes, he is still in residence. And we will be seeing more of him. And you cannot get away with a reveal like the eye twice. The next time we see him, if we don't also hear him, there will be a LOT of grousing and most of it well earned.

In Reply To
The Desolation of Smaug refers to the desolate, barren wasteland surrounding the Lonely Mountain, due to Smaug's wrath. Nowhere does it imply in the title that Smaug will appear, much less him dying!

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jan 4 2013, 3:26am

Post #19 of 51 (346 views)
Shortcut
I could live with that! // [In reply to] Can't Post

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Jan 4 2013, 4:43am

Post #20 of 51 (368 views)
Shortcut
they would have to recast Viggo/Aragorn [In reply to] Can't Post

because he would be a teenager at the time during The Hobbit.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty, oh will you please take me home!!

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 4 2013, 8:30am

Post #21 of 51 (299 views)
Shortcut
After TH has finished ... [In reply to] Can't Post

There will always by rumours of a bridge film. I wouldn't mind one myself, and this is the sort of thing that could be covered. It doesn't belong in TH films though.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Glum
Bree

Jan 4 2013, 10:10am

Post #22 of 51 (278 views)
Shortcut
No bridge material? Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is it 100% confirmed that the third film won't include any bridge material? Because I was hoping it would! I thought that this was one of the reasons they decided to turn TH into a triology Frown
Anyway, I still think there's a chance of seeing events which took place after Bilbo's return to Shire. Why do I think so? Well, Balin had quite a lot of dialogues in AUJ, he's definitely not a minor character... so I just expect that his retaking of Moria has to be included!

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 4 2013, 10:18am

Post #23 of 51 (272 views)
Shortcut
The bridge film idea only ever existed [In reply to] Can't Post

When TH was one film, and the bridge film was another. That was years and years ago now. TH then became two movies, and then three.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Jan 4 2013, 11:15am

Post #24 of 51 (238 views)
Shortcut
So, actually, we might see Smaug die in the first 1/4 (maybe?) of film 3 o.o ó.ó... that is quite a revelation for me // [In reply to] Can't Post

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

Lindele
Gondor

Jan 4 2013, 2:25pm

Post #25 of 51 (186 views)
Shortcut
Desolation [In reply to] Can't Post

refers to what he has destroyed, not his own destruction.
this seems to be a major point of confusion for a lot of people. interesting name choice i guess

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.