Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Okay, ladies…
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jan 3 2013, 10:05pm

Post #1 of 96 (2409 views)
Shortcut
Okay, ladies… Can't Post

We’ve all seen AUJ now. There’s been something seriously missing from the discussions here so far. C’mon, admit it: there’s a certain Dwarf you can’t take your eyes off of, from whom you wouldn’t mind a few lessons in sword play, whose smoulderiness derails your train of thought before it leaves the station…you know of whom I speak. Thorin-fanciers, (also known as Thornies -- Ataahua suggests the “T” is silent), this is your chance to let your inner fangirl out: share with us the moment when Thorin stole your heart. Did he have you at “Gandalf!”, or during the singing of Misty Mountains, or in the striding-off-the-flaming-pine-tree scene? Or somewhere else? Just what is it about him that makes you want to ask him to show you his Oakenshield?

(Men-folk, apologies; you can return to your regularly scheduled threads as quickly as you’d like. Or feel free to join in if you’re so inclined!)

dubulous
Rohan

Jan 3 2013, 10:09pm

Post #2 of 96 (1341 views)
Shortcut
Aye [In reply to] Can't Post

I know Kili is supposed to be the "hot one" but give me Thorin any day.

After a couple of drinks I can allow myself this moment of fangirling. Blush

Tintallë
Gondor

Jan 3 2013, 10:17pm

Post #3 of 96 (1299 views)
Shortcut
Oooh, a sort of Estrogen Island in writing! [In reply to] Can't Post

First, when he appeared at the door of Bag End, second when he sang "Misty Mountains," and third everything else.

*swoon*

I've seen AUJ twice now, but the third time this coming week will be JUST to see Thorin Oakenshield in all his magnificent glory!

*fans self*

On another note, I'm really hoping he won't be quite so much of an #&*%)$ in the end. I'd be very happy if Peter tweaked the story (as he has already done here and there) to make Thorin a bit less susceptible to the whole gold-lust bit (after all, he witnessed his grandfather's madness over the gold and its terrible cost) and a bit more appreciative of his burrahobbit!

ashonmytomatoes
Bree

Jan 3 2013, 10:24pm

Post #4 of 96 (1280 views)
Shortcut
*Swoons* [In reply to] Can't Post

He had me from his entrance. Balin's story about him and the fight with Azog and hugging Bilbo and, well, everything. I had to go watch Armitage in North and South, available on Netflix. Oh. My. Anyway, he is definitely Kingly.

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Jan 3 2013, 10:31pm

Post #5 of 96 (1250 views)
Shortcut
UK members will get this... [In reply to] Can't Post

but the scene where Bilbo opens the door to Thorin - his all-important grand entrance, complete with smouldering pose and swaggering entry into Bag End - reminded me more than a little of Noel Edmond's opening the door of Crinkley Bottom to this week's celebrity guest on his Noel's House Party! Wink

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

R11
Lorien

Jan 3 2013, 10:33pm

Post #6 of 96 (1312 views)
Shortcut
Not to spoil you ladies' fun [In reply to] Can't Post

But I thought Thorin was one of the worst things about the movie. Just really bad. Terrible casting and completely awful approach they took in most all aspects with the character. I basically hated everything about him. I really wanted to reach into the screen and punch that dwarf right in the mouth for his share in ruining the movie (even though it wasn't RA's fault of course). Carry on girls Angelic

ron

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jan 8 2013, 3:09am)

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 3 2013, 10:34pm

Post #7 of 96 (1190 views)
Shortcut
*flicks marshmallows at R11* // [In reply to] Can't Post

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 3 2013, 10:37pm

Post #8 of 96 (1266 views)
Shortcut
Oh, man, where do I start? [In reply to] Can't Post

He's had me for quite a while, now.

And I love whoever came up with "Smokin'shield"! Laugh

But the most drool inducing moment for me was the striding-off-the-flaming-pine-tree.

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Tintallë
Gondor

Jan 3 2013, 10:40pm

Post #9 of 96 (1158 views)
Shortcut
Pffft! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Tintallë
Gondor

Jan 3 2013, 10:43pm

Post #10 of 96 (1147 views)
Shortcut
"Smokin'shield!" Oh bwahahahaha!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Tintallë
Gondor

Jan 3 2013, 10:45pm

Post #11 of 96 (1196 views)
Shortcut
P.S. REALLY glad Thorin lost his sky-blue hood with the silver tassel. [In reply to] Can't Post

That would have been a little too Disney. Can you see a pastel blue-hooded dwarf battling Orcs?

Maylily
The Shire

Jan 3 2013, 10:46pm

Post #12 of 96 (1187 views)
Shortcut
Loved his grand entrance [In reply to] Can't Post

I love Aidan Turner as Kili, but I'm definitely noticing his uncle as well ever since Thorin strutted into Bag End with all that swagger. I also noticed that he turned and smiled at Kili as he took his cloak off and handed it to his nephew. I found that kind of sweet. Those two and Fili are one fine looking royal family!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jan 3 2013, 10:52pm

Post #13 of 96 (1174 views)
Shortcut
One of the best things about the movie [In reply to] Can't Post

Not just that for the first time ever, the dwarves are separate, distinct individuals, not just one bearded, hooded mass. It's that PJ had the guts to make Thorin into a heart-throb, oh my *fans self*. He just skirts the edge of being too arrogant for me, but keeps pulling himself back---so far. We'll see whether the script plays out the same way the book does. And I hope it does, because I want to see RA play it as it was written.

CrazyHeartBlush

Valandil ed Imladris
Lorien

Jan 3 2013, 10:53pm

Post #14 of 96 (1189 views)
Shortcut
I'm a guy [In reply to] Can't Post

but he had me already when he stood at Bilbo's door. He's a real warrior and hero.

(This post was edited by Valandil ed Imladris on Jan 3 2013, 10:53pm)

sycorax82
Rohan

Jan 3 2013, 10:54pm

Post #15 of 96 (1147 views)
Shortcut
*Waits patiently for Evangeline Lily* ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

Cate Blanchett is very nice but I'm thinking Tauriel is gonna be the one filling out the babe factor!! :D

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 3 2013, 11:02pm

Post #16 of 96 (1120 views)
Shortcut
There's not been a Testosterone Tower in a while [In reply to] Can't Post

And we will have to wait even longer now until Tauriel!Wink

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 3 2013, 11:07pm

Post #17 of 96 (1103 views)
Shortcut
I met her in Wellington [In reply to] Can't Post

although it was one of my friends, deej, who recognized her. We were at a sand-castle world record event, and she was one of the prize-givers. But before she went on stage she was just hanging out in the crowd and we chatted with her.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 3 2013, 11:09pm

Post #18 of 96 (1104 views)
Shortcut
Why no love for Gollum? [In reply to] Can't Post

He's practically naked throughout AUJ, TTT and ROTK!

He's not scared of showing off a bit of skin.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 3 2013, 11:15pm

Post #19 of 96 (1113 views)
Shortcut
Same here. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But the most drool inducing moment for me was the striding-off-the-flaming-pine-tree.

I do love his singing, but the burning pine tree scene is where he's a lock for me.

And it is *so refreshing* to have a heart-throb who is manly and mature (as with Aragorn) rather than a young'un who is groomed to perfection.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jan 3 2013, 11:18pm)

sycorax82
Rohan

Jan 3 2013, 11:16pm

Post #20 of 96 (1060 views)
Shortcut
I'm not jealous of you at all!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Totally loved her for all those years on LOST. Blush

ShireHorse
Rohan

Jan 3 2013, 11:19pm

Post #21 of 96 (1196 views)
Shortcut
Sorry, Tintalle, but according to RA, [In reply to] Can't Post

he does become quite vile as the films advance. And he has his "melt-down" moment when he nearly kills Bilbo over the Arkenstone. His fear that he will succumb to the gold-lust like his grandfather apparently keeps him awake at night but it still affects him in the end. RA obviously thinks we shall finish up hating him. What he doesn't seem to realise is that he is already playing Thorin with such vulnerability that we ladies can forgive him anything, LOL!

ShireHorse
Rohan

Jan 3 2013, 11:40pm

Post #22 of 96 (1042 views)
Shortcut
Yes, Daniel, but [In reply to] Can't Post

if you're a Real Man, PJ refuses to let you show even an inch of skin let alone allowing you to wear a loin cloth. Sigh. He even discarded the first drawings of Thorin working bare-chested at his forge, never forgiving and never forgetting, and made him put on a shirt for all of those 2 seconds on screen. (Great 2 seconds, though.)

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 4 2013, 12:18am

Post #23 of 96 (1030 views)
Shortcut
Yes, well just to add to the excitement for the ladies... [In reply to] Can't Post

We'll be getting more Legolas, although I'm sure the Bloom isn't quite as droolworthy as he was for the ladies as he once was.

Don't forget Bard as well.

Ref
Rivendell

Jan 4 2013, 12:26am

Post #24 of 96 (1000 views)
Shortcut
RE: Roheryn [In reply to] Can't Post

Well it began with North and South, so I was always gonna have an interest in Thorin. But I think for me it's when he's talking to Balin in Bag End - be still my beating heart Heart

Laugh

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

*~* Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week *~*

Icon made by the talented dark_jackal32

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Jan 4 2013, 12:28am

Post #25 of 96 (1009 views)
Shortcut
What about bad boy Azog with those dreamy blue eyes and bulging [In reply to] Can't Post

muscles? Kind of a Beauty and the Beast moment.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.