Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Virtual Worlds, Video Games Vs Movies or Books - What do you prefer?

tolkienreborn
Bree

Jan 2 2013, 11:33pm

Views: 139
Shortcut
Virtual Worlds, Video Games Vs Movies or Books - What do you prefer? Can't Post

Now what I am going to talk about is Virtual Worlds vs Books, and Movies in this discussion.

What I predict will replace the book are virtual worlds. (like Second Life and other video games have already created)

It is also what I agreed with in regard to my professor - who I worked with on A.I. (yes I graduated in Game Design)

Now what is important for you to know.. is well comparing the two mediums like art.

Now a book is a linear story and it usually follows "Hero's Journey" outline - if you don't like what is going on in the book.
You can't save the characters or change the storyline or interact with any of the characters.
This might leave you placing the book down and never reading it again or regret reading a book (whichever that might be).
Another problem with books in the future books won't exist as much. I am sure you are already seeing people caring virtual books around or reading books on an Ipad.

The same can be said about a Movie, sure it is Visual but you still are not interacting with it.
Unless it is an interactive movie (There are rare where it is like a choose your adventure book)
An Arcade gamed called "Dragon's Lair" which I hate with a passion also did this.

Another con about movies vs a book -a book has you use your imagination- So when you read a book vs the movie version of series.
To most a book is better then the visual movie - cause the visual movie is done by what a group of people decided the story should look like visually.
Let's take the movie hobbit for example and many posting reviews and what they didn't like etc.

Now just imagine if you could read your most favorite book this being "The Hobbit" and it was visually done the way you wanted it?
I personally think eventually a program like this will be made and you would be thrown into a book or movie. (Virtually Speaking)

You could interact with the characters or maybe even change the story to the way you wanted it, by causing different outcomes to happen.
Now in a book this cannot happen. When you read it - you simply get the same story correct?

But until some genius comes along and makes it - I will just bring that dream I have.

Just like how technology in a cellphone which I had back in the 80's has shrunk to something like what you'd find in a James Bond film or Dick Tracy movie.

Now why do I like video games over Books and Movies?

Cause Video Games and Virtual Worlds let you take over characters and control them.

Second life for example - which my professor see's is the future of everything and I do agree - Second life is a virtual mainframe and allows people to create any Role Playing content, with not many restrictions. But it is basically the Matrix 1.0. But I see it as the future of where virtual worlds are going.

Now what started - second life or virtual mainframes?

Video Games did.. this allowed you to take the role of characters in a story, whether it be 3D or 2d and try to get to a major objective at the end of the game and be the hero or maybe even do a simple task.
Video Games as time went on got better at expressing these worlds better and more realistic and eventually reach the level of movies.
They are almost there right now with games like "Call of Duty and Halo 4".

Now this is what scares me - Eventually Machine and Humanity will reach a level called the "Singularity"

People will see each other differently and for who they really are.
For example to others they might see me as something that isn't a human looking avatar -
They might see that as a threat or just hate the person because they are different or because there Virtual World or Fantasy is different from what they grew up with learning.
For example something that looks Demonic might be something seen as True Evil to someone, when for the other looking Demonic might be a fantasy.

For me personally what is evil (Is a being which inflicts harm on another forcefully or without permission) It is simple for me to define evil but for someone else it might not be so easy.

Anyways back to the virtual stuff...
When Characters and things you have created - when do you become God enough?
Now I hope at that point mankind is mature enough to accept other races or different people and not turn the technology into something bad or create virtual nightmares.

Like what I see going on with Video Games - People cursing at each other over a mainframe.. Sure it might be fun for now - but as technology increases.
Society is going to have a problem adjusting from what is real and what isn't.. like being able to feel what a character is feeling in a virtual mainframe.

People marrying machines or creatures they created perfectly - You think Gay Marriage is a problem. Just wait till you see 40 years from now. :)

Now you might not like me cause I bring this up here - but I'd be curious what you would prefer.

Thank you for Reading and please respond with an interesting response.

I would be curious to hear what Tolkien fans would do.. when technology like this becomes available.

Subject User Time
Virtual Worlds, Video Games Vs Movies or Books - What do you prefer? tolkienreborn Send a private message to tolkienreborn Jan 2 2013, 11:33pm
    This sounds like the making of an interesting sci-fi story - Escapist Send a private message to Escapist Jan 2 2013, 11:50pm
        what games? tolkienreborn Send a private message to tolkienreborn Jan 5 2013, 3:22am
            MMORPG's CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Jan 6 2013, 4:37am
    Fahrenheit 451 CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Jan 6 2013, 4:27am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.