Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
So the DVD Screener got leaked to the internet today
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Trakanon

Jan 2 2013, 7:00am

Post #1 of 30 (2774 views)
Shortcut
So the DVD Screener got leaked to the internet today Can't Post

Think this will hurt the profits, or does it matter little at this point?

The DVD Academy Award screener got leaked today. I took a quick glance and hundreds of thousands of people are downloading it. So it'll clearly cost them millions. But like most big movies, it's bound to happen sooner or later.

lurtz2010
Rohan

Jan 2 2013, 7:41am

Post #2 of 30 (1366 views)
Shortcut
would you watch the movie online illegally? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've watched alot of movies online but I'd feel bad if I watched TH online.

I don't know if I can to wait for the dvd though lol

waaimasjien
Bree

Jan 2 2013, 8:43am

Post #3 of 30 (1244 views)
Shortcut
Why would it cost them millions? [In reply to] Can't Post

People who substitute this low quality download for the cinema are not the ones who would pay up to see it in the theatre anyways.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 2 2013, 10:09am

Post #4 of 30 (1172 views)
Shortcut
What's a DVD Screener? / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

jtarkey
Rohan

Jan 2 2013, 10:19am

Post #5 of 30 (1240 views)
Shortcut
Holy Smokes!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Immediately found it. Not gonna lie, it looks amazing.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

Joe20
Lorien

Jan 2 2013, 10:47am

Post #6 of 30 (1203 views)
Shortcut
A copy of the film [In reply to] Can't Post

that is sent out to reviewers, members of the academy etc. Its usually got water marks. And is a bit lower quality than the actual dvd versions.

TheCoon
Lorien

Jan 2 2013, 11:07am

Post #7 of 30 (1134 views)
Shortcut
i only download movies [In reply to] Can't Post

that ive already seen in the cinemas and want to see again (though ive already made 2 trips to the cinemas for this one!)

Lightice
Lorien

Jan 2 2013, 11:16am

Post #8 of 30 (1172 views)
Shortcut
Nonsense [In reply to] Can't Post

All films get pirated at some point or another. Majority of the pirates wouldn't have seen it legally in the first place, while a number of them already saw it in theatres and are simply impatient for the DVD. It's a mistake to assume that the number of pirated copies would match the number of lost legal purchases. I am not defending piracy, but this sort of reasoning has no basis on reality.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jan 2 2013, 12:58pm

Post #9 of 30 (1076 views)
Shortcut
Well, it's been streaming on a certain site since about a week after its release [In reply to] Can't Post

Hasn't been taken down yet... People like pirate copies because they don't have to arrange a time and spend money to go and see a film with a load of noisey, annoying strangers. People get the DVD because they like the feeling of "owning" the film in a physical way. So, I'm sure, if anything, the pirate will actually help sales not hinder them. Just another way of advertising IMO.

shadowdog
Rohan

Jan 2 2013, 1:23pm

Post #10 of 30 (991 views)
Shortcut
I have a friend [In reply to] Can't Post

who is bed ridden and will download pirated copies of films to watch them. She then buys the DVD when it is released.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Jan 2 2013, 1:24pm

Post #11 of 30 (1013 views)
Shortcut
nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am looking forward to seeing a purist edit sooner rather than later. Once Azog and the WC/Nazgul/Radagast stuff is expunged I will enjoy this film a lot. A lovely story of a Hobbit Bilbo Baggins, not a story of a hunky Dwarf called Thorin. The nut is buried in there somewhere, just have to cut away the dross.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 2 2013, 2:04pm

Post #12 of 30 (877 views)
Shortcut
That's what the skip button on your remote is for ;-) / / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Jan 2 2013, 2:10pm)

tolktolk
Lorien

Jan 2 2013, 2:09pm

Post #13 of 30 (911 views)
Shortcut
Ha ha Elenorflower [In reply to] Can't Post

That made me laugh. One of the reasons I enjoyed the film more the second time was because I knew when those tiresome bits were coming and how long they would last. I was already mentally fast forwarding them on the DVD, but a nice pre-edited version would be a treat.

I think a lot of people feel the same way, so I am sure someone somewhere is at work with the scissors right now.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Jan 2 2013, 2:59pm

Post #14 of 30 (835 views)
Shortcut
yes I think they are, [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

(This post was edited by Elenorflower on Jan 2 2013, 3:00pm)

TheRealBeren
Rivendell

Jan 2 2013, 3:38pm

Post #15 of 30 (799 views)
Shortcut
Revised and extended edition? [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps it's PJ himself, trying to revisit some of the excesses for a revised DVD edition.

sycorax82
Rohan

Jan 2 2013, 4:15pm

Post #16 of 30 (748 views)
Shortcut
It won't affect box office at all [In reply to] Can't Post

Leaks like this generally just create more interest in the movie rather than taking sales away. I already know I'm gonna see AUJ for a 3rd time at the Vue cinema next week.

The main thing is that they made it to $500 million before the end of 2012.

TheHutt
Gondor

Jan 2 2013, 4:53pm

Post #17 of 30 (721 views)
Shortcut
Kinda nostalgic... [In reply to] Can't Post

At the era of 3D, BluRay and 1080p HD, a DVD screener sounds rather nostalgic...

...and reminds just about 10 years ago, with the Academy screeners, protected by nothing more than a copyright warning. :)

Russian LotR/Hobbit Site:

Henneth-annun.ru - the Russian LOTR site

LordotRings93
Rohan

Jan 2 2013, 4:55pm

Post #18 of 30 (714 views)
Shortcut
Ah well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I may download movies/shows, but I more than make up for that by seeing it in theaters on opening day, and buying tons of merchandise and getting the DVD AND Blu-ray at Midnight. Game Of Thrones, for example. I have to turn to "other means" since I can't get HBO at this point, but I make up for it by buying the DVD (and $70 collector's edition), the books, the clothing, and the other merchandise. Now some other "pirates" don't make up for illegally downloading it.

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jan 2 2013, 5:11pm

Post #19 of 30 (697 views)
Shortcut
You'll have to wait until they reinsert Billbo's backstory/development [In reply to] Can't Post

Such as the marketplace scene and the Old Took party flashback. And perhaps give him more than three lines in the entire Rivendell sequence. Well, probably only about 11 months until the EE. :P

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Elenorflower
Gondor

Jan 2 2013, 5:29pm

Post #20 of 30 (653 views)
Shortcut
yup [In reply to] Can't Post

I was looking forward to seeing Bilbo in Hobbiton and Rivendell. They cut out all the best bits. Mad at least they could have kept the scene where Bilbo sees Anduril, and I would have sacrificed knowing Ori's dietry preferences for that. Which is more important? Bilbo falling love with Rivendell, or Ori asking for chips?

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 2 2013, 5:45pm

Post #21 of 30 (703 views)
Shortcut
I'm surprised that someone from the movie industry [In reply to] Can't Post

would leak the movie online. Isn't that like kicking the ankle of the guy who pays you?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Lightice
Lorien

Jan 2 2013, 7:59pm

Post #22 of 30 (589 views)
Shortcut
That's the way the industry rolls [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
would leak the movie online. Isn't that like kicking the ankle of the guy who pays you?

It has turned out that a fair chunk of the films that go around pirate servers originally come from studio employees, often straight from studio servers. The industry undoubtedly produces plenty of disgruntled workers, considering how unevenly the profits are spread, and I wouldn't put it past studios to even deliberately leak their films as a form of covert viral marketing, nowadays.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jan 2 2013, 8:09pm

Post #23 of 30 (592 views)
Shortcut
Covert Viral [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...and I wouldn't put it past studios to even deliberately leak their films as a form of covert viral marketing, nowadays.

My thought.

TheHutt
Gondor

Jan 2 2013, 8:56pm

Post #24 of 30 (597 views)
Shortcut
And the guy went through painstaking work to release it... [In reply to] Can't Post

...by removing all the hundreds of watermarks implanted by Warner.

Just to think, 10 years ago it all was just a couple of title inserts saying "no reproduction allowed"...

Russian LotR/Hobbit Site:

Henneth-annun.ru - the Russian LOTR site

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jan 2 2013, 9:10pm

Post #25 of 30 (544 views)
Shortcut
Neverending Story [In reply to] Can't Post

It's the never ending, codependent cycle of increasing security and breaking it. Security is essentially moot because there is none. It just costs everyone more time, money and annoyance for a majority of honest customers to deal with it when there is always a way around any security.

"The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers."

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.