Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Sneaky little New Zealanders, they stole Tolkien from ussss!

Macsen
Lorien

Jan 2 2013, 6:35pm

Views: 753
Shortcut
Sneaky little New Zealanders, they stole Tolkien from ussss! Can't Post

I don't want to pull a bees' nest onto my head here and offend any resident New Zealanders but does any one else get the impression that the country is effectively trying to steal Tolkien off of England?

I know the films were shot there, and as the country's economy is dependent to a certain extent on tourism it makes sense that they would want to make that connection in people's minds. They got the balance right with LOTR but I think that they've gone a bit too far following the release of the Hobbit, calling the country Middle Earth and "Tolkien's spiritual home" and now planning on calling a mountain "Mt Tolkien".

Tolkien never set a hairy foot in the country. Yes the scenery is spectacular but there's nothing there that couldn't have been shot in Europe, which the Middle Earth of the books (and movies to a large degree) are based upon. In fact, given how much green-screen, sets and CGI were used in the Hobbit I'm doubtful New Zealand was actually on screen for more than 20 minutes or so.

I still want to visit New Zealand one day but this PR offensive is rather off-putting. (I'm not from England by the way so it isn't sour grapes!)

Subject User Time
Sneaky little New Zealanders, they stole Tolkien from ussss! Macsen Send a private message to Macsen Jan 2 2013, 6:35pm
    Mwahahahaaa etc. Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Jan 2 2013, 7:03pm
    Reverse Colonialism? SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Jan 2 2013, 7:06pm
        Really? Starling Send a private message to Starling Jan 2 2013, 11:51pm
    I've never thought about it ... DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Jan 2 2013, 7:07pm
    im not that bitter but jimmyfenn Send a private message to jimmyfenn Jan 2 2013, 7:08pm
    Well it was either the Middle Earth advertising campaign... burrahobbit Send a private message to burrahobbit Jan 2 2013, 7:24pm
        Here is the 'Scotland' one, Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Jan 2 2013, 7:34pm
            While we're on the topic of bad advertising posters... Macsen Send a private message to Macsen Jan 2 2013, 8:40pm
                Urgh - I see what you mean. / Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Jan 2 2013, 8:53pm
            In the last picture, AlassŽa Eruvande Send a private message to AlassŽa Eruvande Jan 2 2013, 8:53pm
            New Zealand... Starling Send a private message to Starling Jan 2 2013, 11:46pm
        Then we simply must have this one: Starling Send a private message to Starling Jan 2 2013, 11:44pm
    Shot in NZ makes it feel more 'fantasy' to me sycorax82 Send a private message to sycorax82 Jan 2 2013, 7:25pm
    The Best of Both Worlds Michelle Johnston Jan 2 2013, 9:59pm
    Seeing that no one in England grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jan 3 2013, 3:15am
    depends on how a person sees middle earth imin Send a private message to imin Jan 3 2013, 4:24am
        An interesting observation Imin SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Jan 4 2013, 5:18am
            Yes, that's true - geordie Send a private message to geordie Jan 4 2013, 1:19pm
                I've been to New Zealand twice entmaiden Send a private message to entmaiden Jan 4 2013, 5:41pm
        I'm from NZ alienorchid Send a private message to alienorchid Jan 5 2013, 11:30am
    I wouldn't say that alienorchid Send a private message to alienorchid Jan 3 2013, 3:51pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.