Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Bolg vs. Beorn

YaznegSouth40
Rivendell

Jan 1 2013, 9:23pm

Post #1 of 13 (1002 views)
Shortcut
Bolg vs. Beorn Can't Post

Having seen Bolg's action figure and how it seems to have huge bear claws as part of his armor...I wonder if there will be a personal connection between Beorn and Bolg? Will Beorn take it personal for Bolg killing off some of his kin and thus storming the Battle of Five Armies to go after Bolg? Wonder if Bolg is as big as Beorn and vise versa?

(This post was edited by YaznegSouth40 on Jan 1 2013, 9:24pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 1 2013, 9:25pm

Post #2 of 13 (570 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Beorn kills Bolg in the book. Adding animosity between the two might make the show-down more believable.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Ave Moria
Rivendell

Jan 1 2013, 9:42pm

Post #3 of 13 (455 views)
Shortcut
Great thread, good thought [In reply to] Can't Post

In the book it's suggested the Orcs wiped out Beorn's race, so this would be a great opportunity to expand on that.

-In the Darkness, a torch we hold-

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 1 2013, 9:44pm

Post #4 of 13 (486 views)
Shortcut
Action figures and tie-in books=spoilers [In reply to] Can't Post

It's amazing to me how much you can get from those sources!

YaznegSouth40
Rivendell

Jan 1 2013, 10:06pm

Post #5 of 13 (471 views)
Shortcut
DanielLB that is ..... [In reply to] Can't Post

what I was thinking as well for the reason I started this thread. Even though there is a bigger agenda, underneath Bolg and Beorn really hate each other and at the Big Battle they face each other at last and makes for a dramatic showdown!

(This post was edited by YaznegSouth40 on Jan 1 2013, 10:07pm)

Vangalad
Lorien

Jan 1 2013, 10:08pm

Post #6 of 13 (453 views)
Shortcut
Bolg and Gandalf [In reply to] Can't Post

In another figure box there is Bolg and Gandalf ,so one would assume these two will have some interaction in DOS as Bolg seems to be an orc chieftain in Dol Guldur...It would be odd though to have Gandalf finish off Bolg but given Azog's story route in AUJ, we don't yet know what to expect from Bolg's part.
A good solution would be to have Bolg take Azog's place after a potential (final) demise and have the showdown at the BO5A as (or close enough as) in the book.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost,
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

(This post was edited by Vangalad on Jan 1 2013, 10:08pm)

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jan 1 2013, 10:34pm

Post #7 of 13 (397 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps [In reply to] Can't Post

We might get Beorn describing that his race was killed of by orcs lead by Bolg and than get a sweet action flashback for it! Smile

YaznegSouth40
Rivendell

Jan 1 2013, 10:50pm

Post #8 of 13 (387 views)
Shortcut
The Mitch King... [In reply to] Can't Post

that would be an excellent idea!

YaznegSouth40
Rivendell

Jan 1 2013, 10:54pm

Post #9 of 13 (382 views)
Shortcut
Vangalad... [In reply to] Can't Post

yep..having Azog meet his demise and then Bolg seeking revenge and commanding the orcs at the Battle of Five Armies would be AWESOME! I believe we will even see Mt. Gundabad as a rallying point for the Orcs of Gundabad...we have already heard Balin describe these orcs as such (Gundabad Orcs).

Skaan
Lorien

Jan 1 2013, 10:58pm

Post #10 of 13 (416 views)
Shortcut
Seems like Beorn will play a part in the prologue of DOS [In reply to] Can't Post

Didn't the actor who plays Beorn said in an interview that he was doing a torture scene? Maybe Beorn gets tortured by orcs/Bolg, and the scratches on Bolg's armor might be from that scene. This could also explain his hate for orcs, and his vendetta against Bolg.

I bet the prologue in DOS will involve Beorn somehow, instead of Gandalf at Dol Guldur like most have been saying.

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jan 1 2013, 11:05pm

Post #11 of 13 (399 views)
Shortcut
Beorn prologue [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Didn't the actor who plays Beorn said in an interview that he was doing a torture scene? Maybe Beorn gets tortured by orcs/Bolg, and the scratches on Bolg's armor might be from that scene. This could also explain his hate for orcs, and his vendetta against Bolg.

I bet the prologue in DOS will involve Beorn somehow, instead of Gandalf at Dol Guldur like most have been saying.

This would make a ton of sense because we would get a great introduction to Beorn and then we could cut to the company meeting him! Great start to the movie IMO.

Ave Moria
Rivendell

Jan 2 2013, 12:27am

Post #12 of 13 (288 views)
Shortcut
That is what I am hoping for! [In reply to] Can't Post

-In the Darkness, a torch we hold-

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jan 2 2013, 2:14am

Post #13 of 13 (260 views)
Shortcut
In fact the Beornings were alive and well in Tolkien's ME... [In reply to] Can't Post

They aided Aragorn during his hunt for Gollum, and Beorn was succeeded by a son, Grimbeorn, by the time of the War of the Ring.

Beorn's action figure bio does say that he's the last of his race, however...and Bolg does appear to be wearing bear paws as shoulder pads (what is it with bad guys and shoulder pads)?

A Beorn/Bolg animosity would be interesting...they could be the Thorin/Azog of Film 2, to the delight of many!

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.