Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Some geeky (or otherwise) observations, and questions that need answering
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

florian
The Shire

Jan 1 2013, 5:40pm

Post #26 of 79 (537 views)
Shortcut
I thought it was Fili [In reply to] Can't Post

in the stone giant crash, not Kili. It certainly looked like him, the hair was blonde and I'm sure Thorin called out "Fili!"

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 1 2013, 6:08pm

Post #27 of 79 (535 views)
Shortcut
Sarcasm [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Just got back from viewing #4 and while I wait (eagerly!) for gramma's official Geeky Observations, I'll share mine. Feel free to clarify if I got something wrong -- I was really wishing I had pen and paper to scribble my thoughts down.

Thoughts, musings, answers, additions, corrections, or even funny noises welcome!

When Bofur teases Bilbo mercilessly about how Smaug will roast him alive, Bilbo finally concludes “No” and falls flat to the floor. Gandalf pushes past Bofur muttering sarcastically, “Very helpful, Bofur” (or words to that effect). Is that the only time we’ve seen Gandalf be sarcastic?

We've seen Pippin get far worse treatment in LOTR

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jan 1 2013, 6:42pm

Post #28 of 79 (478 views)
Shortcut
Neat comparison. [In reply to] Can't Post

I hadn't thought of the Isildur/Elrond connection, but I had thought about Thorin melting into the shadows. I thought that moment was especially poignant because there he recognizes the sickness taking hold of Thror and clearly distances himself from it -- yet this is exactly the affliction that we're expecting him to succumb to in DoS or TABA. He didn't learn his lesson well enough.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jan 1 2013, 6:46pm

Post #29 of 79 (490 views)
Shortcut
Drat it... [In reply to] Can't Post

I watched that whole scene really carefully this time, and found it hard to keep track of which young dwarf was with which group. But I was pretty sure Thorin did yell out "KILI!" when the giant crashed, and quite sure Thorin quietly moaned "Kili" when they were discovered unharmed, and that it was Fili standing over Kili holding Kili's hand just as that scene ends (suggesting it was Kili who had crashed, not Fili). It all goes by so quickly though that the details are hard to see and I could be wrong!

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jan 1 2013, 7:16pm

Post #30 of 79 (463 views)
Shortcut
Ah, thanks. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I did like seeing just the "B-A" and thinking "Bad Ass".

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Jan 1 2013, 7:16pm

Post #31 of 79 (458 views)
Shortcut
Great point! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was somehow thinking that Thorin would be at least presumed King after Thrain's absence for so long, but now I see that I jumped the gun on that. Thanks for clearing that up for me Joe-Mathews!

A bag is like a hole that you can carry with you.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Jan 1 2013, 7:21pm

Post #32 of 79 (472 views)
Shortcut
that sounds somewhat familiar [In reply to] Can't Post

but not sure. I'll have to look out for it on my 3rd viewing. Sounds like something Bofur would say.

Yeah I think Sally was one of the names but I can't remember any others.

It's good they gave the ponies names, to be consistent with FOTR/Bill the Pony.

A bag is like a hole that you can carry with you.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Jan 1 2013, 7:29pm

Post #33 of 79 (473 views)
Shortcut
More correctly, [In reply to] Can't Post

it's "jacksie"

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=jacksie

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Frodo Baggins
Bree

Jan 1 2013, 8:04pm

Post #34 of 79 (442 views)
Shortcut
Pony names [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I may of heard the names Daisy and Bongo, not sure though.

May of been said before but I noticed that Oin had picked his squashed ear trumpet and was using it at the Carrock when Thorin was speaking.

Also at the Carrock, Bifur does not know where he is and looking around in shock

I love the way sting stops glowing when Gollum kills the goblin and then Bilbo's expression knowing that Gollum can kill.

Retro315
Rivendell

Jan 1 2013, 8:06pm

Post #35 of 79 (457 views)
Shortcut
Clannishness [In reply to] Can't Post

If you watch with it in mind, the fact that this is a movie about a family of dwarves and their hired help becomes hilariously clear, as well as giving you the real reason for Thorin's claim about loyalty at the beginning.

They don't harp on about it, but the Longbeard cousins are consistently more stern, serious, and considered warriors (albeit 'old warriors'), whether it be Thorin's stoicism, the obvious importance of the Sons of Fundin, but also the skill and respect of the Sons of Groin - they're so tight with their cousin Thorin they're willing to pick a fight with Elrond's folk.

Thorin tells Gloin to 'get a fire going' multiple times, and it's Oin and Gloin who factor the prophecy and discuss the ravens and thrushes at the end.

There's a lot to like about the other two merchant/tradesman class families as well - Bofur was a good choice for an 'everyman dwarf' who can relate a little easier to Bilbo.

But this is all about the Longbeards and there's tons of little touches to reinforce that.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 1 2013, 8:08pm

Post #36 of 79 (441 views)
Shortcut
Oin is also using his ear trumpet [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

May of been said before but I noticed that Oin had picked his squashed ear trumpet and was using it at the Carrock when Thorin was speaking.

Directly after they escape Goblintown, as Bilbo shows up. Not sure why though, it can't amplify the sounds anymore.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 1 2013, 8:13pm

Post #37 of 79 (444 views)
Shortcut
Sting's glowing stops [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the way sting stops glowing when Gollum kills the goblin and then Bilbo's expression knowing that Gollum can kill.

and also lets Bilbo know that Gollum is not a goblin.

" Well well!", said a voice. "Just look! Bilbo the hobbit on a pony, my dear! Isn't it delicious!"
"Most astonishing wonderful!"

Hamfast
Rohan

Jan 1 2013, 8:35pm

Post #38 of 79 (471 views)
Shortcut
A couple Bifur observations .... [In reply to] Can't Post

that drew unexpected laughter at all 5 viewings....

When he walks up to Gandalf in Bag End, presumably attempting to communicate with him, he just kind of grunts incoherently, and then gives him what appears to be a 'derogatory gesture' Laugh

I also love it when Bifur is attempting to roast lettuce over the fire in Rivendell Laugh

CathrineB
Rohan

Jan 1 2013, 8:55pm

Post #39 of 79 (421 views)
Shortcut
Bombur? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I watched that whole scene really carefully this time, and found it hard to keep track of which young dwarf was with which group. But I was pretty sure Thorin did yell out "KILI!" when the giant crashed, and quite sure Thorin quietly moaned "Kili" when they were discovered unharmed, and that it was Fili standing over Kili holding Kili's hand just as that scene ends (suggesting it was Kili who had crashed, not Fili). It all goes by so quickly though that the details are hard to see and I could be wrong!

Bladerunner
Gondor

Jan 1 2013, 8:56pm

Post #40 of 79 (436 views)
Shortcut
I was looking forward to seeing Bifur eating the yellow decorative flowers during the dinner scene at Rivendell [In reply to] Can't Post

since he is vegetarian. Hopefully it will be included in the extended edition DVD.

(This post was edited by Bladerunner on Jan 1 2013, 8:57pm)

CathrineB
Rohan

Jan 1 2013, 9:25pm

Post #41 of 79 (409 views)
Shortcut
WAIT [In reply to] Can't Post

Where did my reply go in the previous post? *headdesk*
I try again:

In Reply To

I thought it was Bombur Fili was helping up in that scene? Or is it something I have missed? I knew it was Fili that was in the group pancaked to the mountain (but sure sounds like Thorin yelling Kili though).

(This post was edited by CathrineB on Jan 1 2013, 9:26pm)

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 1 2013, 9:48pm

Post #42 of 79 (385 views)
Shortcut
I saw it the way you did, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Where did my reply go in the previous post? *headdesk*
I try again:

In Reply To

I thought it was Bombur Fili was helping up in that scene? Or is it something I have missed? I knew it was Fili that was in the group pancaked to the mountain (but sure sounds like Thorin yelling Kili though).

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jan 2 2013, 12:44am

Post #43 of 79 (335 views)
Shortcut
Was it Bombur? [In reply to] Can't Post

Excellent! I have an excuse for viewing #5. Cool

I really thought it was Kili, but maybe I just wanted to see the brothers holding hands. I'm going to have to watch that whole sequence even more closely next time.

Milknut
Rohan

Jan 2 2013, 3:45am

Post #44 of 79 (299 views)
Shortcut
I was going to say something to that effect. :)// [In reply to] Can't Post

The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie___

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 2 2013, 7:56am

Post #45 of 79 (278 views)
Shortcut
bwaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

dwarf on stilts.... it's three am.... somehow that's hilarious....

Go outside and play...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 2 2013, 7:59am

Post #46 of 79 (300 views)
Shortcut
stuff you don't notice... [In reply to] Can't Post

... till the 3rd time you see it...

Bilbo rescuing his doily, doiley, thing with the holes in it, someone saying that it has holes in it... Bilbo announcing that "IT IS CROCHET!"

Bofur going: "Oh, that's a nice game..."

(and I heard this part only the thrid time I saw the film)..."if you got the balls for it..."

SlySlySlySlySlySlySlySlySlySlySlyHeartLaughLaughSly

I want the hat.

Go outside and play...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 2 2013, 8:07am

Post #47 of 79 (276 views)
Shortcut
slang [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Ori says something about sticking something up Smaug's "Jackson."

Nori says something about seeing Bilbo sneaking away right when the goblin's "collared" them.

Those terms seemed a bit too slangy for me and momentarily took me out of the Middle-earth experience.

Interesting observation.Smile

Early in the Hobbit Tolkien (as narrator) says something about English representing the languages of that time in Middle Earth...

...as the Scottish/Irish brogues represent the Dwarves' style of speech, though they really wouldn't sound like Celts...

...so picture the recognizeable slang as representing something they would say... (slightly crude)...

For me, those particular bits of slang sounded yet a bit exotic (maybe they are more British, I am American), and didn't remove me from Middle Earth.

Language in a tale like this does root one in the world of the story, or kick one out of it, and you still have to make the dialog interesting for a modern audience.

Go outside and play...

Lindele
Gondor

Jan 2 2013, 1:53pm

Post #48 of 79 (248 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

I had the exact same experience. I didn't notice the 'if you've got the balls for it' line until my 3rd viewing.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 2 2013, 5:39pm

Post #49 of 79 (229 views)
Shortcut
Awesome :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I noticed right away (first and only show so far), and remember looking over at my hubby to see if he caught it too (he did).

Do they play croquet in Middle-earth? I sure hope so.

" Well well!", said a voice. "Just look! Bilbo the hobbit on a pony, my dear! Isn't it delicious!"
"Most astonishing wonderful!"

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 2 2013, 7:33pm

Post #50 of 79 (217 views)
Shortcut
croquet crochet, tomato, tomahto [In reply to] Can't Post

LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

Go outside and play...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.