Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Why is that?

Lightice
Lorien

Jan 1 2013, 6:29pm

Views: 514
Shortcut
Why is that? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Even in the book, I often wondered if Thorin didn't send Bilbo down the passage to Smaug to be rid of Bilbo.

It was Bilbo's job right from the start to creep down the passage to spy on Smaug. That was the very task he was hired for, right from the start. That was the whole purpose of bringing him along with the Company. Why would sending Bilbo to do what he was hired for in the first place have any malevolent undertones?

Subject User Time
Bilbo and Thorin character arcs in the Desolation of Smaug burrahobbit Send a private message to burrahobbit Jan 1 2013, 5:32pm
    Jealousy? Joe-Mathews Send a private message to Joe-Mathews Jan 1 2013, 5:44pm
        Why is that? Lightice Send a private message to Lightice Jan 1 2013, 6:29pm
            Not main motivation. Joe-Mathews Send a private message to Joe-Mathews Jan 1 2013, 6:48pm
        Jealousy and humiliation. Lissuin Send a private message to Lissuin Jan 1 2013, 10:38pm
    Interesting thoughts. Roheryn Send a private message to Roheryn Jan 1 2013, 7:39pm
        Maybe the dwarves are more active in Mirkwood and the Barrel Escape burrahobbit Send a private message to burrahobbit Jan 1 2013, 8:05pm
            I'd guess less Thorins heroic competance and more his grudges... moreorless Send a private message to moreorless Jan 2 2013, 8:11am
        I would think we'd see a different Thorin than is in the book Old Toby Send a private message to Old Toby Jan 2 2013, 8:04am
            Actually, I think you're right. Roheryn Send a private message to Roheryn Jan 2 2013, 9:44am
                I agree with the epic fury part when it comes to light Loresilme Send a private message to Loresilme Jan 2 2013, 3:44pm
                    Yes, I'm sure we will see a lot more that's motivating Bilbo Old Toby Send a private message to Old Toby Jan 2 2013, 4:04pm
    Well Loresilme Send a private message to Loresilme Jan 1 2013, 9:53pm
        All of this! Spot on.// Lissuin Send a private message to Lissuin Jan 1 2013, 10:44pm
        Excellent observation Kimtc Send a private message to Kimtc Jan 2 2013, 3:05am
            Capture by the Elves perhaps Loresilme Send a private message to Loresilme Jan 2 2013, 3:37pm
                Elf-absorbed! Excellent. Kimtc Send a private message to Kimtc Jan 2 2013, 5:26pm
                Yeah marillaraina Send a private message to marillaraina Jan 2 2013, 9:11pm
    That's an interesting interpretation! Escapist Send a private message to Escapist Jan 2 2013, 3:52pm
        RE: Escapist Ref Send a private message to Ref Jan 2 2013, 11:31pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.