Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Bombur

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jan 1 2013, 5:56am

Post #1 of 16 (978 views)
Shortcut
Bombur Can't Post

Is he going to say anything??? I apologize if this has been asked already!

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jan 1 2013, 6:01am

Post #2 of 16 (589 views)
Shortcut
I'm starting to think [In reply to] Can't Post

he might never talk. H might be silent the whole trilogy, and just do physical comedy. It's just a guess, but it could work.

Old Toby
Gondor

Jan 1 2013, 6:11am

Post #3 of 16 (493 views)
Shortcut
Ah, but you should never talk with your mouth full..... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Is he going to say anything??? I apologize if this has been asked already!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Avnar
Lorien

Jan 1 2013, 6:33am

Post #4 of 16 (509 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

Imagine how the actor who played him felt... "Hey family and friends -come and see me in my new film the hobbit!" ...and he doesn't say a word Blush

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 1 2013, 9:06am

Post #5 of 16 (459 views)
Shortcut
But Bifur doesn't talk either [In reply to] Can't Post

Apart from in Khuzdul. It would be foolish to do the same for two characters.

He has to talk in TDOS - he falls into the River!

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jan 1 2013, 12:52pm

Post #6 of 16 (406 views)
Shortcut
Bomby will Propose..this again... [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ concentrated on 5 dwarves in the first movie.
(Thorin, Balin, Dwalin, Kili, Bofur..)

PJ will concentrate on 5 more in the next movie.
MAYBE..Fili, Bombur, Gloin
( Elvin hate in the ElvinHalls?)
Oin, Gloin? (Campfire lighters..)
Bombur's has got a Big part in Mirkwood..
( falling in the stream..wistfully telling of his...dreams)

The final 3 in The Third movie.
Dori, steals something?
Bifur,... Finally speaks Westron?..
and Finally our baby
Journal-writing
Ori...
His slingShot could really be effect with maybe
Firey SpitBalls?

The Nerd saved for Last!

Bomby

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jan 1 2013, 1:45pm

Post #7 of 16 (326 views)
Shortcut
I'm not saying i'd want that, [In reply to] Can't Post

or think it'd be a good idea even. It's just crossed my mind a couple of times since seeing AUJ and reading Stephen Hunter's comments on not having any lines.

Hamfast of Gamwich
Rivendell

Jan 1 2013, 1:57pm

Post #8 of 16 (361 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't say the focus is purely on those 5 [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Ori gets nearly as much focus as Kili in AUJ, and Fili isn't much more in the background than Kili other than for a couple of archery moments.

Also, I imagine Thorin will get at least as much attention in DoS and TABA as he gets in AUJ. He's one of the 3 main characters.

But I agree we'll definitely see more of some of the dwarves in the next two films, and get to know some of the quieter ones a little better.

ryouko
Lorien

Jan 1 2013, 2:51pm

Post #9 of 16 (305 views)
Shortcut
He might [In reply to] Can't Post

in the next movies. In AUJ, he's the only one who doesn't say anything at all(even Bifur has a line though it's not in English). But, as someone pointed out, it's not polite to talk with your mouth full. Wink But fear not, I'm sure he'll get some lines.

Now, having been in theatre, I know how actors do love to hear themselves talk. But, if you have a large group of people, there are going to be some who talk a lot, and some who say very little. So, it stands to reason that some of the Dwarves won't talk as much as the others.

Thorin is the leader, so naturally he'll talk a lot. Balin and Dwalin are leaders themselves and are not afraid to make suggestions and give advise where they see fit.

Kili is the youngest and most reckless, so he's noisier. Fili is a bit more mature and is more of an observer than a talker. I think he stays quiet and listens to what his elders, especially Thorin, say so that he can learn. I think Fili has it in him to be a leader and he knows that to be a good leader he needs to learn from those who are.

Bifur seems to be somewhere else most of the time, and only truly comes around when there's fighting to be done. It would be fun to hear him speak more and confuse Bilbo(because, lets face it, Martin has some great facial expressions).

Bofur is naturally friendly and seems to love talking. Plus, I think he loves teasing the little Hobbit.

Ori, I think, is more shy than the others. I don't think he's ever been away from home, and like Bilbo, finds this all quite new to him. But I think he really wants to be accepted and doesn't want the other Dwarves to think he's a coward(which is why he jumps up and claims that he's not afraid of dragons when they're in Bag End, not to mention the belching that gets approval from the others).

Nori....well, I wouldn't trust him myself. He seems to be up to something, but I don't quite know what. And people who are up to something don't want to be noticed. So I think he stays mostly quiet to keep any attention away from himself.

Dori, I think, takes on the role of being the speaking for his family. He might even be the head of his household(if their father is dead).

As for Oin and Gloin. I think they speak when they feel they need to.

But, this might change with the release of the next two movies. We'll see. ^_^

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jan 1 2013, 3:24pm

Post #10 of 16 (296 views)
Shortcut
Well.. [In reply to] Can't Post

According to 'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Visual Companion', Bombur doesn't talk much because Bofur does enough talking for both of them (and because he's probably scoffing his face).

Remember Quint saying that the film would be a toss-up between Bombur and Radagast as to who would steal it? Obviously neither of them did, but that hints to me that Bombur's potentially good bits have either been cut out (as they have been thus far), or that they are being saved for the next installment.

Seriously though, so far Thorin, Balin, Bofur, Fili, Kili and Dwalin are the only ones who have really had any development so far. That's six of thirteen and for one film that's not bad. If each Dwarf gets at least one moment to shine over the course of the trilogy then PJ will have done well in my eyes.

Reliable Radagast rides his sled of Rhosgobel Rabbits round and round Rhovanion.

Tongue twister copyright Radagast-Aiwendil 2012.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 1 2013, 3:33pm

Post #11 of 16 (346 views)
Shortcut
I think PJ is doing exactly what Tolkien did through Gandalf... [In reply to] Can't Post

introduce us to the Dwarves a few at a time.

How much air time they get, I predict, will be a drawn out version of their introduction to Bilbo and, later, to Beorn.

If they threw all 13 at us at once, we'd never work out who was who and keep them straight.

But, even at the end, you can't really have 13 characters all getting the same amount of focus. There has to be a sort of hierarchy who you need to sort out quickly (Thorin, for example), who you should sort out and remember as soon as you can, who you should sort out before it's all over, and who can function as background noise or texture.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Joe-Mathews
Rivendell

Jan 1 2013, 5:06pm

Post #12 of 16 (281 views)
Shortcut
Erebor Gate? [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a feeling he will get one line. And I have a sneaking suspicion it will be very enlightening and important. At least I hope so if he only gets one.

If the book is followed, Bombur is going to spend most of the next movie asleep.

Just before the Battle of 5 Armies, Bilbo switches watch with Bombur at Erebor Gate to sneak out of the Mountain for an hour or two. PJ will have to go out of his way not to give Bombur lines there.

'There is some woe that lies upon you... Why will you not tell me more?'
'For that woe is past,' said Galadriel; 'and I would take what joy is here left, untroubled by memory. And maybe there is woe enough yet to come, thought still hope may seem bright.'

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 1 2013, 6:59pm

Post #13 of 16 (211 views)
Shortcut
I hope the EE adds some of his lines back in. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 1 2013, 6:59pm

Post #14 of 16 (287 views)
Shortcut
On his Facebook page [In reply to] Can't Post

Stephen Hunter linked to an interview where he was asked about his lack of lines in AUJ. He said that he was taught that physical acting says more than any dialogue - and also avoided answering if he has any lines in the next two movies (which, to be fair, he can't know for sure because editing could remove any lines he was given). However I think we'll get something out of him when Bombur wakes from his river-coma and talks about what he dreamt.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jan 2 2013, 12:45am

Post #15 of 16 (198 views)
Shortcut
Quote from Ian McKellen last week somewhere... [In reply to] Can't Post

" ....The Audience will fall in love with all 13 Drarves...and each has his HERO Moment..."

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 4 2013, 5:46pm

Post #16 of 16 (69 views)
Shortcut
I also hope [In reply to] Can't Post

That we get a nice moment between him and Bilbo as in the book when he relieves Bombur on watch.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.