Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Action scenes
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Balin88
The Shire

Jan 1 2013, 7:27am

Post #1 of 28 (1083 views)
Shortcut
Action scenes Can't Post

The hobbit had a few action scenes

Smaug attacking dale and sacking erebor.
The flash back to the battle of Moria.
Troll battle.
Warg scouts.
Warg chase/ elves protecting the border.
Stone giants.
Goblin town.
Final battle between thorin and Azog.

There's a few scenes where we see some fair action.
My question is, where do we find the action within the desolation of smaug ?

Beorn ?
Mirkwood (spiders) ?
Dolguldor ?
Thranduils elves ?
The attack on on Laketown ?
The desolation of smaug ?

With your honest opinion which action scenes do you think we will see in the DOS ?

patrickk
Rohan

Jan 1 2013, 7:52am

Post #2 of 28 (577 views)
Shortcut
I think you mean the *Spoilers* of Smaug rather than the Desolation of Smaug (spoilers inside) [In reply to] Can't Post

The desolation of Smaug refers to the desolation he left after he cooked everything. It is a place (after he had finished with it) rather than a point in time. The death of Smaug marks the end of the desolation. That aside there is a lot of action there but not on a large scale.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Jan 1 2013, 1:36pm)

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jan 1 2013, 7:52am

Post #3 of 28 (539 views)
Shortcut
Action scenes [In reply to] Can't Post

Some sort of fighting with Beorn, Spiders, Gandalf at DG, battle of DG, elf capture, any included Azog scenes perhaps, Smaug scorching the mountain, destruction of lake town (if its in the movie), any flashbacks we might not know about....there should be some good action!

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jan 1 2013, 8:36am

Post #4 of 28 (584 views)
Shortcut
PJ won't let Azog vanish. [In reply to] Can't Post

You've listed what we'd expect out of the book, but I reckon PJ will somehow work Azog into it. So I figure we can count on at least one good fight scene with Azog and his minions.

Which leads me to wonder: doesn't it now have Azog who causes Thorin's death in the end? Will Thorin kill him too at the same time? Or will Fili or Kili kill him in revenge for dealing Thorin's death blow? That's going to be tough to watch. :-(

Erudryt
The Shire

Jan 1 2013, 8:57am

Post #5 of 28 (523 views)
Shortcut
Azog [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't think about it but now you say, it appears to be logical that PJ may decide that Azog kills Thorin.

Concerning battle scene in desolation of Smaug, I agree there will probably be a fight scene with Azog, Spiders, Beorn, Gandalf at Dol Guldur but not giant battle.

(This post was edited by Erudryt on Jan 1 2013, 8:58am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 1 2013, 9:01am

Post #6 of 28 (570 views)
Shortcut
Beorn is involved in a .... [In reply to] Can't Post

Torture scene. So I imagine there will be some sort of "action" fairly early on in the film.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jan 1 2013, 9:07am

Post #7 of 28 (526 views)
Shortcut
Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

Torture scene? Hard to imagine what PJ's come up with there. Who's doing the torturing?

Joe20
Lorien

Jan 1 2013, 9:23am

Post #8 of 28 (523 views)
Shortcut
There will be no shortage of actions scenes. [In reply to] Can't Post

even if some of them are made up...

(This post was edited by Joe20 on Jan 1 2013, 9:23am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 1 2013, 9:27am

Post #9 of 28 (546 views)
Shortcut
There's been a rumour for about a year now [In reply to] Can't Post

And I haven't found the original thread, but I'll keep searching.

I don't think it was ever said who did the torturing - I guess it is Beorn - perhaps he tortures a warg/orc when he goes to check out the Companies story? In the book he has a head on a spike, doesn't he?

Edit: Here it is.

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Jan 1 2013, 9:30am)

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jan 1 2013, 9:28am

Post #10 of 28 (484 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, am hoping it's Azog's head that ends up on the spike! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jan 1 2013, 9:44am

Post #11 of 28 (465 views)
Shortcut
Ah, thanks for that. [In reply to] Can't Post

Interesting read through that link. I guess it would make sense for Beorn to torture the orc whose head ends up outside his hall.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jan 1 2013, 9:55am

Post #12 of 28 (522 views)
Shortcut
Doubt it. [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ has set up Azog as Thorin's archenemy. It goes against epic storytelling for archenemies to be killed by anyone but each other, and it wouldn't make sense for that to happen in the next movie instead of during the Battle of the Five Armies. I suggest the pinnacle battle scene will be between Thorin and Azog in BotFA; Thorin will kill Azog but not before Azog has done in Fili and Kili (loyal to their uncle til the last, and causing unspeakable anguish to Thorin when he sees their demise), and also not before Azog delivers the ultimately fatal blow to Thorin. In fact, Azog killed Thor's grandfather and drove his father mad, *and has vowed to wipe out the heirs of Durin*, so it would make sense for him to be the one to do in Fili and Kili, probably timing it deliberately as Thorin looks on and thus enticing Thorin into one final grief-stricken suicide charge.

Urgh, that's going to be hard to watch!

Just speculation, mind you, but I'd bet I'm close to right!

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 1 2013, 10:10am

Post #13 of 28 (481 views)
Shortcut
Depending on Azog's role in the BO5A (and whether he makes it that long...) [In reply to] Can't Post

It should be Beorn who kills Azog. This is assuming that Azog is the main enemy at the battle, rather than Bolg (as in the book).

I want to see Beorn crush him!

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jan 1 2013, 10:24am

Post #14 of 28 (453 views)
Shortcut
Maybe... [In reply to] Can't Post

But PJ doesn't have a problem deviating from the nuances of the book, and I think it would go against Thorin's epic hero arc not to kill his mortal enemy. Or maybe Thorin's not enough of an epic hero? Too tragic and flawed for that?

Beorn should be the one to bear (no pun intended) the mortally-wounded Thorin out of the battle, regardless of who's just killed Azog, right? (Yes, I'm assuming Azog makes it to there.) Should be quite a dramatic scene.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 1 2013, 10:44am

Post #15 of 28 (439 views)
Shortcut
I see what you mean [In reply to] Can't Post

Since they've changed Azog's storyline, and increased the animosity between Thorin and the pale Orc, then it would make sense to resolve the storyline by having Thorin kill Azog. Otherwise, what is the point for the change? I'm not a fan if the idea of Thorin being too tragic and flawed to kill Azog.

So assuming Thorin does kill Azog, who kills Thorin? Do they kill each other (sounds a bit cliche), or does Bolg kill Thorin, who is subsequently killed by Beorn, thus sticking to the book?

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jan 1 2013, 12:05pm

Post #16 of 28 (440 views)
Shortcut
Sorry, but when was "The Hobbit" renamed "Thorin: Epic Hero??" [In reply to] Can't Post

The whole point of Tokien's story is that Thorin is a tragic and flawed hero....I'm not opposed to giving Thorin more of a character arc, but if PJ is going to totally ignore the themes in the book he might just as well have written his own totally original screenplay.

ETA: not that I think PJ will make such a radical change, after all, despite the Osgiliations in LotR we still ended up with the right ending(s)! Wink

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Eleniel on Jan 1 2013, 12:08pm)

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Jan 1 2013, 1:15pm

Post #17 of 28 (407 views)
Shortcut
'It's going to be hard to watch' <- I've seen this a lot. And yes it'll be hard to watch for emotional reasons of course... but.. [In reply to] Can't Post

for me also, due to the way they've set this up with Azog, it's going to be hard for me to watch due to it being so apart from the book (despite it being logical and film-worthy etc.), and due to Azog's design, which I still have no love for Frown.
Yes it'll hopefully be epic and stuff... but I still can't say I like The Azog Complex Frown.

Nevertheless, I can't wait for it Wink.

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jan 1 2013, 1:30pm

Post #18 of 28 (396 views)
Shortcut
Don't worry... [In reply to] Can't Post

Peter Jackson could find a five minute action scene in the pouring of a cup of tea.

ryouko
Lorien

Jan 1 2013, 3:00pm

Post #19 of 28 (361 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
PJ has set up Azog as Thorin's archenemy. It goes against epic storytelling for archenemies to be killed by anyone but each other, and it wouldn't make sense for that to happen in the next movie instead of during the Battle of the Five Armies. I suggest the pinnacle battle scene will be between Thorin and Azog in BotFA; Thorin will kill Azog but not before Azog has done in Fili and Kili (loyal to their uncle til the last, and causing unspeakable anguish to Thorin when he sees their demise), and also not before Azog delivers the ultimately fatal blow to Thorin. In fact, Azog killed Thor's grandfather and drove his father mad, *and has vowed to wipe out the heirs of Durin*, so it would make sense for him to be the one to do in Fili and Kili, probably timing it deliberately as Thorin looks on and thus enticing Thorin into one final grief-stricken suicide charge.

That seems to be the direction PJ is going with Azog. It'd make sense that he kills Kili and Fili as they try to protect Thorin(as Azog attacks him from behind perhaps). Then Thorin turns to see them both go down and in grief and rage he kills Azog, but is mortally wounded himself. Yeah, I'm bringing a box of tissues with me for that one!

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jan 1 2013, 3:13pm

Post #20 of 28 (363 views)
Shortcut
But don't you think Thorin will kill Azog in DoS, [In reply to] Can't Post

which will set up, in the film's logic, a grudge between Thorin and Bolg for Bo5A?

Bladerunner
Gondor

Jan 1 2013, 3:16pm

Post #21 of 28 (368 views)
Shortcut
I don't think Azog will make it to Battle of Five Armies... [In reply to] Can't Post

but if he does, I think Thorin will finally kill Azog, but then Bolg will kill Thorin, and then Beorn will destroy Bolg and his bodyguards.

ShireHorse
Rohan

Jan 1 2013, 3:21pm

Post #22 of 28 (357 views)
Shortcut
I agree with this: [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

That seems to be the direction PJ is going with Azog. It'd make sense that he kills Kili and Fili as they try to protect Thorin(as Azog attacks him from behind perhaps). Then Thorin turns to see them both go down and in grief and rage he kills Azog, but is mortally wounded himself. Yeah, I'm bringing a box of tissues with me for that one!

But, isn't Bolg supposed to be a torturer? I reckon he tortures Beorn in the DoS and so becomes Beorn's arch-enemy. Thorin kills Azog at the Bot5A and then confronts Bolg and his guard who, between them, mortally wound him. Beorn comes to the rescue and crushes Bolg.

ryouko
Lorien

Jan 1 2013, 3:30pm

Post #23 of 28 (346 views)
Shortcut
too soon to tell [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

But, isn't Bolg supposed to be a torturer? I reckon he tortures Beorn in the DoS and so becomes Beorn's arch-enemy. Thorin kills Azog at the Bot5A and then confronts Bolg and his guard who, between them, mortally wound him. Beorn comes to the rescue and crushes Bolg.

But, at this point, we don't know if Bolg will even be in it. Maybe Azog gets killed in DOS, and Bolg shows up and the whole revenge thing starts. Or Bolg could be completely left out and Azog is the one who does everything (including torturing Beorn and thus making them enemies). As stated, it's all speculation. We have to wait a year before he find out what happens in DOS, and then even more time before we see TABA.

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 1 2013, 3:52pm

Post #24 of 28 (373 views)
Shortcut
Thorin's "meltdown" [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The whole point of Tokien's story is that Thorin is a tragic and flawed hero....I'm not opposed to giving Thorin more of a character arc, but if PJ is going to totally ignore the themes in the book he might just as well have written his own totally original screenplay.

ETA: not that I think PJ will make such a radical change, after all, despite the Osgiliations in LotR we still ended up with the right ending(s)! Wink

In an interview (presumably when there were going to be two movies), Richard Armitage said Thorin has a meltdown in the second movie. I assume said meltdown is now in movie three. So yeah, Thorin is heroic-ish now, but will go into his Boromir arc (redeemed in death) about the time Bard comes into the picture as hero.

The book made it easier to handle Thorin's fate. He was much older, pissier, and his quest was really more about the gold. My reaction in the book to Fili/Kili was "Wait, what?!"

ryouko
Lorien

Jan 1 2013, 4:04pm

Post #25 of 28 (346 views)
Shortcut
By the way [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

The book made it easier to handle Thorin's fate. He was much older, pissier, and his quest was really more about the gold. My reaction in the book to Fili/Kili was "Wait, what?!"

Yeah, their deaths are just an aside. You get the sad farewell of Thorin. And then an "oh yeah, Fili and Kili are dead too. Bummer." I doubt(hope) their deaths won't be treated in such and off-hand manner in the movie.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.