N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 31 2012, 9:15pm

Post #27 of 75 (568 views)
Shortcut
But then how can you trust Twain's opinion? // [In reply to] Can't Post

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 31 2012, 9:19pm

Post #28 of 75 (594 views)
Shortcut
I'm irked by the popularity of GONE WITH THE WIND. [In reply to] Can't Post

Adjusted for inflation, that's one of the highest-grossing films of all time, and it's bad. Who wouldn't be bothered by seeing bad works succeed while good works are overlooked?

But I'm not sure how critics who panned The Hobbit, since most reviews appeared on the opening day, could have been irked by a success it hadn't yet achieved.

fmaximus
Rivendell

Dec 31 2012, 9:27pm

Post #29 of 75 (578 views)
Shortcut
in life in general you can't ... [In reply to] Can't Post

trust Twains opinion - but when it comes to making movies you definately can.
I'm sure if you talk to most directors they would agree - unless they don't care if their film makes money or not.

(This post was edited by fmaximus on Dec 31 2012, 9:28pm)

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 31 2012, 9:36pm

Post #30 of 75 (540 views)
Shortcut
So if everyone hates my favorite movie, I should hate it too? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Bladerunner
Gondor

Dec 31 2012, 9:45pm

Post #31 of 75 (560 views)
Shortcut
I think you misinterpreted my comment..... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm saying that I suspect that the success of the film even after they panned it, is what may be irksome to the most ardent haters of the film. It may have bothered one critic in particular so much that he had to place it on his worst films of 2012 list for spite.

Again, this is my opinion, and I get that you disagree with it....

In Reply To
But I'm not sure how critics who panned The Hobbit, since most reviews appeared on the opening day, could have been irked by a success it hadn't yet achieved.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Dec 31 2012, 9:58pm

Post #32 of 75 (559 views)
Shortcut
it has a high replay value [In reply to] Can't Post

i've seen it 4 times, each time was better and better!

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty, oh will you please take me home!!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 31 2012, 10:15pm

Post #33 of 75 (527 views)
Shortcut
Gone with the Wind [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't understand the love for it either. I recently watched it for the first time (and probably only time), and could not for the life of me figure out why people rave about it. It was overly long. The main character was a terrible person. The romance was ridiculous. And it ends with Scarlet going back to Tara. Uh, didn't she already try that? Or did I completely miss something?

I don't know, but I thought it was not very good, and definitely not the classic I was led to believe it was.

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Dec 31 2012, 10:17pm

Post #34 of 75 (571 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, NOW it's doing fine internationally, but domestic is still at 220 million... [In reply to] Can't Post

Still not great in North America. RotK did almost 400 mill at the domestic BO.

Weirdly, however, TH had a second-week slump then picked up Christmas week. Never heard of a film having a better third week than second week.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 31 2012, 10:19pm

Post #35 of 75 (538 views)
Shortcut
But like you say, it was Christmas holidays [In reply to] Can't Post

Not really that hard to see why it made more. It's popular right now, and more people had a chance to see it over the holiday. What with being off work, and school, and seeing it in different formats, it's not at all surprising (at least not to me).

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Dec 31 2012, 10:22pm

Post #36 of 75 (528 views)
Shortcut
Didn't happen with any of the LotR's. // [In reply to] Can't Post

2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 31 2012, 10:26pm

Post #37 of 75 (519 views)
Shortcut
Didn't have multiple formats... [In reply to] Can't Post

And new technology with 3D which audiences seem to eat up (e.g. AVATAR).

It's just a thought.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Dec 31 2012, 10:29pm

Post #38 of 75 (503 views)
Shortcut
Still weird, especially given mixed reviews and reactions. // [In reply to] Can't Post

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 31 2012, 10:29pm

Post #39 of 75 (513 views)
Shortcut
Maybe GWTW is a case of the critics being right and the public being wrong? [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually no. The film was a critical success when released. But it almost never appears on the all-time-best lists of critics nowadays, while some other films from the 1930s do.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 31 2012, 10:31pm

Post #40 of 75 (493 views)
Shortcut
I think curiosity trumps reviews. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 31 2012, 10:33pm

Post #41 of 75 (515 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

that critics don't hold it in the same esteem as the public, but then, most films aren't critical and public successes. Most of the movies that audiences love nowadays are the actiony popcorn flicks.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Dec 31 2012, 10:34pm

Post #42 of 75 (499 views)
Shortcut
The people who were that curious about it would have seen it the first or second week. It's wierd. 8) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 31 2012, 10:36pm

Post #43 of 75 (510 views)
Shortcut
It might we weird as in unusual [In reply to] Can't Post

and to that I'd agree. But I definitely think it's explainable (and obviously not impossible).

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 31 2012, 10:36pm

Post #44 of 75 (510 views)
Shortcut
Not true [In reply to] Can't Post

I have curious friends and family that haven't yet seen it. Christmas can be a busy time - they haven't seen it yet because they are too busy,

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 31 2012, 10:37pm

Post #45 of 75 (537 views)
Shortcut
So.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Next time an American complains the film isn't meeting box office expectations ...

EvilTongue

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Dec 31 2012, 10:42pm

Post #46 of 75 (499 views)
Shortcut
Nope, it's weird. WIERD. Thanks. // [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Dec 31 2012, 10:44pm)

shadowdog
Rohan

Dec 31 2012, 10:43pm

Post #47 of 75 (526 views)
Shortcut
Patience [In reply to] Can't Post

That is 220 million in 17 days; not its total domestic gross.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Dec 31 2012, 10:43pm

Post #48 of 75 (515 views)
Shortcut
Too bad the film wasn't better. // [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Dec 31 2012, 10:45pm)

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Dec 31 2012, 10:44pm

Post #49 of 75 (534 views)
Shortcut
Time [In reply to] Can't Post

You don't provide a comparative time frame.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 31 2012, 10:49pm

Post #50 of 75 (487 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit's 3rd weekend wasn't better than its 2nd in terms of gross. [In reply to] Can't Post

As for the good hold, Hobbit had a much better 3rd weekend drop because its 3rd weekend was the post Christmas weekend when holidays are in full swing. The LOTRs had the post Christmas weekend on their 2nd weekend, which is why their 2nd weekend drops were so good.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.