Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Screencap of the Day -- The End of FotR

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Nov 26 2007, 8:50pm

Post #1 of 10 (417 views)
Shortcut
Screencap of the Day -- The End of FotR Can't Post

And we come at last to the End of Fellowship of the Ring.

Original Picture

1. Was this a satisfying End for you? Any movie-firsters who were not aware there were two more movies to come? (true story: My younger sister called me the next October and said: "Remember that fantasy movie we all saw last Christmas? Well, they're making a sequel. Crazy)

2. This scene was shot on one side in the mountains and from the other side in a parking lot. Does the magic of filmmaking astound you, too?

3. Any more thoughts on the end of the movie?

My LiveJournal

My Costuming Site

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Nov 26 2007, 8:59pm

Post #2 of 10 (179 views)
Shortcut
I'm always floored [In reply to] Can't Post

when I hear about scenes shot from one view ages from the other view -- e.g. the "go home" scene was shot a year apart, IIRC. You really have to admire the acting ability when this happens.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 27 2007, 1:14am

Post #3 of 10 (159 views)
Shortcut
Two ladies sitting behind us [In reply to] Can't Post

got up and said, "Well, that was a strange ending!" I then told them about it being a trilogy and how that was part one, and all they said was "So that's how they'll get people to come back!". Sigh.

The ending of FotR was perfect! There was closure, and the beginning of the story-lines for the next movie. And then Frodo and Sam walking off into that wasteland...Heart

Yes, moviemaking astounds me; not only that things in one scene can have been filmed over distance and time, but also that there's continuity - in dress, makeup, lighting, etc.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Annael
Half-elven

Nov 27 2007, 1:58am

Post #4 of 10 (146 views)
Shortcut
I thought it was perfect [In reply to] Can't Post

that it ended with a shot of Sam's face.

It is above all by the imagination that we achieve perception and compassion and hope.
- Ursula Le Guin

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Loresilme
Valinor

Nov 27 2007, 2:39am

Post #5 of 10 (146 views)
Shortcut
About the only advantage of missing them in the theatres [In reply to] Can't Post

was not having to wait a year between each one!

1. Was this a satisfying End for you? Any movie-firsters who were not aware there were two more movies to come? (true story: My younger sister called me the next October and said: "Remember that fantasy movie we all saw last Christmas? Well, they're making a sequel. Crazy)
That is funny! So she and her friends must have all had that *bubble thought* above their heads of "?" as the movie ended. I had rented the three films and would have launched immediately into TTT except that by the time this one was over it was around 1:30am and I had to go to sleep. The next day though, I was just rushing through everything in anticipation of watching that night ... I made sure the family had eaten dinner and rushed everyone to bed by about 6pm so that I could be sure I would have time to watch both TTT and ROTK in that one night. I knew I wanted to watch it all, at that point!

2. This scene was shot on one side in the mountains and from the other side in a parking lot. Does the magic of filmmaking astound you, too?
Absolutely. The other scenes that amaze me are the Dead Marshes scene, which I believe was also in a parking lot, and the scene between Eowyn and Aragorn ("Do you not know?") was done in a garage or hangar, something like that and they said it was pouring rain that was so loud you couldn't even hear yourself. And they were both just superb in that scene. There were so many scenes like that. It must be wonderful to be able to focus and concentrate so intently. I do not think I have those powers of concentration. I get much too distracted.

What a contrast it is to the last scene in TTT!

weaver
Half-elven

Nov 27 2007, 4:35am

Post #6 of 10 (144 views)
Shortcut
I just rewatched FOTR this weekend... [In reply to] Can't Post

After going through FOTR scene by scene here, it was really satisfying to see the whole thing back together again. I think I'm going to do that everytime we end up a SCOD series as you can just sit back and enjoy it since you've just analyzed it to death for months. Kind of like ice cream after a work out!

This time, I was especially struck at how well the movie hangs together -- every scene builds on and contributes to every other one. It also seems to me to have several natural sequences where everything flows to a certain point -- the ending, from the time they leave Lorien to your SCOD moment, is a good example of this.

Because we saw Frodo struggle with the decision to go off alone, we realize how much it matters to him that Sam arranged it so that he could go along with making Frodo feel guilty. And because we've seen Sam grow from being afraid to dance with Rosie and walk out of a cornfield to this moment, we feel proud of him here and good about him being with Frodo. Both characters have struggled and grown, and "earned" this moment. And while they haven't even entered Mordor yet, there's enough closure on the characters and their development to this point that it still works as an ending.

Weaver

Owlyross
Rohan

Nov 27 2007, 2:13pm

Post #7 of 10 (120 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad you're with me [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, it worked very well for me. We had two people behind us who said "so you have to wait another year to find out what happens?" I had to restrain myself from making a snidey comment about illiterate people...

It does, in terms of the end result, but it doesn't surprise me. I studied film, so I can see a lot of these things and how they might do them... Unfortunately it also means I spot mistakes more easily.

I think I mention this every time this scene comes up, but compare it with the scene on Mount Doom at the end of all things. Here, at the start of their journey, Frodo says "I'm glad you're with me Sam", but on Mount Doom he says "I'm glad to be with you". It's a subtle change, but oh so important, and marks the change in their relationship, in Frodo's respect for Sam, and in his submission to fate.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
Benjamin Franklin
The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
Horace Walpole (1717 - 1797)

hobbitlove
Gondor

Nov 29 2007, 2:25am

Post #8 of 10 (93 views)
Shortcut
Just wanted to say thanks for all you've done with SCOD. [In reply to] Can't Post

Screencaps are everyone's favorite and you have done so much so well.
Thank you for all you do.
I'll look forward to starting up again. I read every word, but alas, am too much just a lurker these days. I'm sorry for that.
hob

Check out
QTNA
Movie Discussions

hob
(former nick: "HobbitLoveR*M-e" among several others, briefly)

tiamy
Rivendell

Nov 29 2007, 3:39pm

Post #9 of 10 (103 views)
Shortcut
I am a movie-firster... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I originally thought that the movie's climax is during Kazhad-dum and Gandalf's fall. I thought it was about to end there and that they will reach Mount Doom in a matter of minutes afterwards.

But then they went to Lorien and I felt that I'm watching the 2nd part of the trilogy because it feels like the plot is going to something else having Gandalf gone. I thought they will ALL reach Mt. Doom and throw the ring in there but I'm obviously wrong...

Having that mindset, I was too prepared to watch "another set" of film. When the movie fades out showing the mountains at Mordor, it came as a shock to me because I suddenly realize that this is still part of the whole movie. I felt that I'm still watching the middle of the film. I can't wait to see more of it and how the plot progresses.

But then I remember that it is supposed to be trilogy. At that very day, I became a huge fan of LOTR by simply anticipating for the next film, FOTR's dvd release etc..

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 30 2007, 6:34am

Post #10 of 10 (129 views)
Shortcut
That's really cool. [In reply to] Can't Post

From a lot of the reactions I saw and heard in the movie theaters, some people were really confused. We're so used to trilogies being three separate stories that wrap up at the end of each instead of one continuous one. But obviously there were others like you who "got it". They were probably all the quiet ones. Smile

I like your description of how the movie felt like it was already in separate story segments as you watched it, because that's really how the book feels too. It's really cool to know that the movies were able to preserve that sense of the long journey in stages even for people who hadn't read the books.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.