Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Collider readers' choice top 20 movies of the year: Hobbit number 5

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 31 2012, 7:59pm

Post #1 of 17 (839 views)
Shortcut
Collider readers' choice top 20 movies of the year: Hobbit number 5 Can't Post

http://collider.com/.../220834/#more-220834

Looks like Hobbit still has some fans, even though it's quite a step down from LOTR. Wink

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 31 2012, 8:07pm

Post #2 of 17 (372 views)
Shortcut
Can a list that includes PROMETHEUS in the top ten be any good? // [In reply to] Can't Post

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 31 2012, 8:07pm

Post #3 of 17 (357 views)
Shortcut
Yes, i quite liked Prometheus. Imagine that! // [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 31 2012, 8:11pm

Post #4 of 17 (376 views)
Shortcut
Is there a link... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Looks like Hobbit still has some fans, even though it's quite a step down from LOTR. Wink

To 2001, 2002, and 2003 results?

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Dec 31 2012, 8:11pm

Post #5 of 17 (401 views)
Shortcut
we run into a lot of negativity [In reply to] Can't Post

because it's easy to find it in some places, like from critical outlets or on a place like a Tolkien messageboard with a bunch of people who are ready to nitpick every little thing (and i'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, that's what you probably should expect from the diehards and/or the Internet).

meanwhile, everyone i know in real life (and i do mean everyone) loved the movie and my Facebook update page is still letting me know about people who have finally seen it and liked it a lot. one of my old college lit professors (and a Tolkien fan) recently saw it, saying he went in with high expectations, and it surpassed them--he said it was the best movie-going experience he'd had since The Dark Knight. i even had a friend who works in the movie industry who was super worried because he didn't like The Lovely Bones at all and he was blown away.

both screenings i've gone to, the audience loved it. as things like Cinemascore can attest, the general reception to the movie has been very, very positive.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 31 2012, 8:13pm

Post #6 of 17 (381 views)
Shortcut
Nope. [In reply to] Can't Post

Like it states, they did this readers poll for the first time.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Dec 31 2012, 8:15pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 31 2012, 8:14pm

Post #7 of 17 (363 views)
Shortcut
Oh I see. [In reply to] Can't Post

Apologies. As of your comment, I thought you were comparing it to a previous readers poll. My mistake.

Smile

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 31 2012, 8:17pm

Post #8 of 17 (377 views)
Shortcut
Just my personal opinion of the movie ("being quite a step down from LOTR"). // [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Dec 31 2012, 8:18pm)

Escapist
Gondor

Dec 31 2012, 8:39pm

Post #9 of 17 (329 views)
Shortcut
There are a lot of good movies out right now. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 31 2012, 8:43pm

Post #10 of 17 (313 views)
Shortcut
And some of them made the cut. // [In reply to] Can't Post

pandoraziki
Rivendell

Dec 31 2012, 8:48pm

Post #11 of 17 (349 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit movie has plenty of fans [In reply to] Can't Post

Despite the fact that some people seem to be hell bent on proving otherwise.

patrickk
Rohan

Dec 31 2012, 9:16pm

Post #12 of 17 (302 views)
Shortcut
Quite different movies and sensibilities [In reply to] Can't Post

My wife and I are into our XMas holiday (Aussie summers are long) revisit of LOR on DVD. The Hobbit and LOR are both great movies (not a step down) but with quite different sensibilities. The Hobbit is written with different tone (for children) and therefore filmed that way. The LOR is quite different and quite sombre (Merry and Pippin being the only comic relief). The challenge for PJ and I think he will do it will be to gradually darken the tone of the Hobbit so that by the third film it will seamlessly move to LOR tone and sensibility (so they/I can have a 6 movie boxed set). I suspect the third film will be quite dark and sombre post Smaug and maybe re-do BoFA to include ring wraiths etc to hint more at the menace those in LOR will face

sharpened_graphite
Rivendell

Jan 1 2013, 1:38am

Post #13 of 17 (216 views)
Shortcut
I loved Prometheus too! [In reply to] Can't Post

Even tho' it was the most serious and joyless movie I've ever seen. High artistic quality, no intention of entertaining the audience whatsoever. All the faults it's being criticised for are very deliberate choices and a lot in that movie went straight over the audince's heads.

(This post was edited by sharpened_graphite on Jan 1 2013, 1:38am)

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Jan 1 2013, 4:04am

Post #14 of 17 (183 views)
Shortcut
Prometheus was amazing! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't understand all the hater it got Frown

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

Mahtion
Rivendell

Jan 1 2013, 5:24am

Post #15 of 17 (183 views)
Shortcut
Prometheus is a strange animal [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoyed Prometheus but some of the stylistic choices or character motivations seem perplexing. Like most of Sir Scott's films it requires multiple viewings to gain more insight into the greater picture. I need to see the directors cut to better appreciate the purpose and intent of the film. Fassbender was amazing and lots of the designs and cgi were astounding but some of the internal logic seemed off. Hopefully the sequel sheds more light on the questions that arose during this first act.

As much as I liked Prometheus, I enjoyed the Hobbit far more and on the same level of Dark Knight. Also I got the extended bluray set of LOTR. Fellowship is as amazing as ever but honestly after Moria the movie starts to drag as much as I love Lothlorien. The Hobbit may just seem more fresh and new but at the time being it resonates on a more personal level of friendship, brevity, sense of adventure and overall a more balanced thematic experience than the somber apocalyptic drama of Rings.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jan 1 2013, 10:40am

Post #16 of 17 (153 views)
Shortcut
There's no director's cut of Prometheus. ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Jan 1 2013, 1:13pm

Post #17 of 17 (165 views)
Shortcut
Worst decision by Scott ever! [In reply to] Can't Post

There are clearly scenes missing to grasp the full concept...

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.