Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Hobbit almost at 700 Million!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

demanon
Rivendell

Dec 31 2012, 3:56pm

Post #1 of 75 (2261 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit almost at 700 Million! Can't Post

http://news.yahoo.com/...-week-165618270.html

Considering all 3 movies cost 600 million, everyhing from here on out is all gravy. WELL DONE PJ and Crew!!!

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 31 2012, 4:12pm

Post #2 of 75 (1134 views)
Shortcut
The best bit... [In reply to] Can't Post

Dergarabedian described the holding power of "The Hobbit" in its third week as "just amazing. I think people are catching up with the movie. Maybe they're seeing it in multiple formats," he said. "I think it's just a big epic that feels like a great way to end the moviegoing year. There's momentum there with this movie."

It's funny to think that there were people that thought it couldn't make it to 1 billion. I think it's a lock now.

Kimtc
Rohan

Dec 31 2012, 5:13pm

Post #3 of 75 (1006 views)
Shortcut
I've held out on seeing Les Miz for this reason [In reply to] Can't Post

In my silly mind, I feel like if I go now it will somehow hurt AUJs chances of staying on top. Going to see AUJ six times helps, too. Hope PJ buys something nice with my money.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Dec 31 2012, 5:37pm

Post #4 of 75 (989 views)
Shortcut
Outrageous [In reply to] Can't Post

The $700 million claim was so outrageous, I looked it up myself and was amazed to see it verified. It is notable that the US is one-third of that total, or in other words has earned 50% as much as the rest of the world.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Dec 31 2012, 5:38pm)

fmaximus
Rivendell

Dec 31 2012, 5:43pm

Post #5 of 75 (917 views)
Shortcut
multiple viewings [In reply to] Can't Post

My family of 5 have gone to see the film 3 times already and we all loved it. We saw it in the traditional 2d format the third time and we all agreed that we liked it the most as we felt more connected to the story and not as distracted with the visuals.
I feel confident in saying I have done my part ;-)
My wallet is definitely lighter but it was well worth it as we had a great time together.

Valandil ed Imladris
Lorien

Dec 31 2012, 5:44pm

Post #6 of 75 (877 views)
Shortcut
very nice [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw it 3 times and will see it a fourth time in two days. I was always sure that the film would make 1 billion. Just think about the ticket prices for 3D ;)

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Dec 31 2012, 5:44pm

Post #7 of 75 (870 views)
Shortcut
earlier [In reply to] Can't Post

when i was out earlier, i heard two different families discussing going to see the hobbit! all the kids seemed well up for it, except one who was moaning about it being 3 hours long!

its amazing how the hobbit as a thing can reach childrens imagination. my 3 year old nephew is scared of gollum when he seees him on tv but knows bilbo baggins or bilbo daggins as he calls him, gandalf and thorin. he hasnt even seen the film.

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

(This post was edited by Altaira on Dec 31 2012, 6:11pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 31 2012, 5:45pm

Post #8 of 75 (870 views)
Shortcut
I imagine the US has the highest number of theatres compared to other countries [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The $700 million claim was so outrageous, I looked it up myself and was amazed to see it verified. It is notable that the US is one-third of that total, or in other words has earned 50% as much as the rest of the world.

There's only 600 in the UK showing The Hobbit. There must be 1000s in the US.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Dec 31 2012, 5:53pm

Post #9 of 75 (835 views)
Shortcut
About 4000... [In reply to] Can't Post

...according to Box Office Mojo.

Elessar
Valinor

Dec 31 2012, 5:54pm

Post #10 of 75 (833 views)
Shortcut
I'd think so [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know if the 4,100 on BO Mojo is just us or not.

ElendurTheFaithful
Rivendell

Dec 31 2012, 5:57pm

Post #11 of 75 (799 views)
Shortcut
Happy new year [In reply to] Can't Post

Going to see it tomorrow for 4th time to start a new year on a good note :)

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY :)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 31 2012, 5:59pm

Post #12 of 75 (816 views)
Shortcut
5700 theaters [In reply to] Can't Post

According to http://www.natoonline.org/statisticssites.htm

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 31 2012, 6:00pm

Post #13 of 75 (813 views)
Shortcut
Must be for the US [In reply to] Can't Post

There must be more than 4000 across the world? Especially as there are 700 odd showing it in HFR.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Dec 31 2012, 6:02pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Dec 31 2012, 6:02pm

Post #14 of 75 (828 views)
Shortcut
Pleased [In reply to] Can't Post

I really thought it would crush the competition BO wise this year but its not sadly. It is going to end up doing quite well and that's just fine when you consider how awesome this movie is.

Elessar
Valinor

Dec 31 2012, 6:07pm

Post #15 of 75 (791 views)
Shortcut
My thoughts as well [In reply to] Can't Post

There has to be more than that WW.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 31 2012, 6:13pm

Post #16 of 75 (773 views)
Shortcut
Addendum: 5700 theaters in the US // [In reply to] Can't Post

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Dec 31 2012, 6:17pm

Post #17 of 75 (833 views)
Shortcut
Box Office Mojo [In reply to] Can't Post

It's just US. It's reported alongside the estimated $32.9 million weekend take that is for the US only.

Rostron2
Gondor

Dec 31 2012, 6:32pm

Post #18 of 75 (783 views)
Shortcut
Dilution [In reply to] Can't Post

You also have to keep in mind that there are a lot of good films out this year. I'm still catching up on some of them. I need to go back and see what the competition was in 2001 for FOTR. However, dollars mean nothing when you compare prices. Butts in seats are what matters in theater, i.e. full house and sellouts.

Now an interesting statistic that probably could be compiled would be the number of seats in those 4100 theaters. You could get an accurate count, since many of them are chains and have standard layouts. In my area, we have a high number of multiplexes all close to one another, so its' easy to count screens.

Do we not have a single theater manager on here that can give us a rough count of how Hobbit is selling in their multiplex? If it's revealing state secrets, don't do it, but I just wondered.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 31 2012, 7:17pm

Post #19 of 75 (752 views)
Shortcut
Btw, it's down to $31.9m. [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like Sunday was overestimated.

Bladerunner
Gondor

Dec 31 2012, 7:21pm

Post #20 of 75 (764 views)
Shortcut
I bet many of those critics who strongly panned the film are just irked by its success. [In reply to] Can't Post

I had a feeling that their 15-days of fame would be drowned by the tsunami of interest from the general public...

Hyper-negative critics (as the box office #'s reduces them to insignificance): "Baggins!!!, We hates it! We hates Baggins FOREVERRR!!"

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Dec 31 2012, 7:51pm

Post #21 of 75 (722 views)
Shortcut
i can understand the critics to some extent [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I had a feeling that their 15-days of fame would be drowned by the tsunami of interest from the general public...

Hyper-negative critics (as the box office #'s reduces them to insignificance): "Baggins!!!, We hates it! We hates Baggins FOREVERRR!!"

many of them probably enjoyed LotR but never needed to see another Tolkien movie. there was a lot of hype about The Hobbit, as is a prequel's wont, and the critics in turn were cynical about the motivations of the film...so every issue they could have with the movie, they tended to focus on rather than the positive. some of their criticisms are somewhat justified based on their perspectives. some wanted something more like the book. some wanted something less like the book, more like the LotR movies (i've seen several reviews suggesting that there are too many dwarves). and, like i said earlier, some didn't want it at all. but The Hobbit was made and the filmmakers took on a very difficult challenge of trying to balance it between the source material and the greater trilogy they had already adapted. for me, the balance works very well, indeed, but as we can see there are many who felt the film shouldn't have tried to be epic at all and others who wanted it to axe any attempts at charm or whimsy. and there are many who fall somewhere more in between, who wanted one scene to have a little more injection of warmth or humor while wanting a different scene to be even darker, etc. it is an impossible balance to achieve for everyone, everywhere. i just wish that more of the critics had tried taking the film on its own merits rather than its comparisons, and i do think some of them let the HFR overly affect their final word on the movie. if HFR was the only way one could watch the movie, or if they had worded their reviews like "I don't recommend HFR, wasn't for me, I found it distracting, but let's talk about the movie itself." instead, though, i read quite a few reviews that gave the movie a middling or negative score and yet the only major criticism i could find had to do with the HFR 3D. with no acknowledgments of the ways in which HFR helps 3D. I feel there is a large chunk of the critical community that somewhat shirked their responsibility of critiquing this movie in a way that was insightful and balanced, especially when they ended up estimating it below a slew of other blockbusters that, if they really thought about it, they'd probably acknowledge AUJ was better than. reactive to the hype and expectation levels, a negative party line got started about length and HFR and then there were a number of reviews that just regurgitated that, over and over and over, while largely overlooking or just failing to mention the film's many merits.

shadowdog
Rohan

Dec 31 2012, 8:13pm

Post #22 of 75 (679 views)
Shortcut
I believe [In reply to] Can't Post

that when Box Office Mojo reports domestic, it is North American and includes Canada.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 31 2012, 8:27pm

Post #23 of 75 (619 views)
Shortcut
Correct. // [In reply to] Can't Post

ltnjmy
Rivendell

Dec 31 2012, 8:37pm

Post #24 of 75 (623 views)
Shortcut
I quite agree [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Escapist
Gondor

Dec 31 2012, 8:42pm

Post #25 of 75 (645 views)
Shortcut
Since it is so hard to discredit such a wide and varied audience [In reply to] Can't Post

they are trying to make it sound like a failure by supposing that if it is less than the best in every way that it failed.

This is ridiculous ... and kind of disrespectful to all the other good films out there that are beating AUJ according to some specific measures of success.

I hope they come around eventually and don't continue carrying negativity like this through the whole 3 film series.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.