Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The hobbit: a childrens cut?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

los marbles

Dec 31 2012, 3:06pm

Post #1 of 29 (1086 views)
Shortcut
The hobbit: a childrens cut? Can't Post

I loved the film but know the violence level is a bit high for my video game naieve six and seven year olds. Does anyone think a p.g. cut could be in the pipeline when it comes to dvd release? I am looking forwards to an extended version with all the songs all there but wonder if Peter should also do a version that swings back a bit to the reading level of the original book.
Do-able?

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 31 2012, 3:09pm

Post #2 of 29 (629 views)
Shortcut
6 and 7 year olds don't *need* to see the film. [In reply to] Can't Post

They have no appreciation for Tolkien, Hobbits, or film in general (I'm sure there are exceptions....).

If they want to learn about Bilbo's adventure, read the book. They can watch the film when they're older.

I don't think PJ should make different cuts for different people. It could get silly - not only would they need many different versions (for purists, children, adults and so on...), but it would cost more money than it's worth.

What I would do, however, is start them with the animated version (if they haven't seen it). Kids love animated films.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Dec 31 2012, 3:17pm)

Lindele
Gondor

Dec 31 2012, 3:10pm

Post #3 of 29 (529 views)
Shortcut
Doubt it [In reply to] Can't Post

Wait until your kids are a bit older, and show them the film the way it is meant to be seen.
I am very excited for the day when I can show these films to my kids...but that will be when they are old enough.

LordotRings93
Rohan

Dec 31 2012, 3:22pm

Post #4 of 29 (509 views)
Shortcut
Well said!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Dec 31 2012, 3:34pm

Post #5 of 29 (477 views)
Shortcut
For children there is the the cartoon.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 31 2012, 3:37pm

Post #6 of 29 (491 views)
Shortcut
Some would say Hobbit is already to a large degree animated. ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 31 2012, 3:38pm

Post #7 of 29 (497 views)
Shortcut
It depends on the kid [In reply to] Can't Post

and the parents. I have a friend with kids and they watched pretty much everything when it came to violence, and they turned out just fine. The youngest one especially got exposed to more (through her older brother and sister), and she's extremely well adjusted. I think it just comes down to the relationship between the parent and child.

As for a children's cut-- i don't know about that, but it would be interesting in seeing a book only cut of the Hobbit, with all the Appendices stuff cut out. I actually love the extra stuff PJ's putting into the film, but it would be fun to see an approximation of how a book only adaptation might've turned out-- just for fun. I'm sure the internet will take care of that before too long.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Dec 31 2012, 3:48pm

Post #8 of 29 (475 views)
Shortcut
I was going to post the same thing... [In reply to] Can't Post

For children there is the the cartoon.//

I have to admit, I still wish the animated film had been made to fill a two-hour block--if only to include both Beorn and the subplot with the Arkenstone.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 31 2012, 3:50pm

Post #9 of 29 (495 views)
Shortcut
Let's not start a discussion on [In reply to] Can't Post

The differences between animation and computer generated imagery.

Tongue

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Dec 31 2012, 4:03pm

Post #10 of 29 (469 views)
Shortcut
Kids and movies... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I have a friend with kids and they watched pretty much everything when it came to violence, and they turned out just fine. The youngest one especially got exposed to more (through her older brother and sister), and she's extremely well adjusted. I think it just comes down to the relationship between the parent and child.

And also comes down to the child. Not all are equally sensitive and age is not necessarily the deciding factor. I showed LotR to my kids, then 5 and 7, (at home, where we could and did pause the movie for a chat, skip over scary scenes, etc.) and it was the 7 yo that had minor issues with it. He happens to be very visual; he complained of Shelob's scary scenes re-running themselves for him at bedtime on a couple of later occasions. When we rewatch, he leaves the room for these scenes if younger kid feels like watching them, or we just skip ahead.

Both really liked AUJ (they are now 8 and 10), after viewing it I did not think there was anything in it they would find too scary/intense so we saw it in the theater (HFR 3D, which mesmerized younger kid). Some of what people complain about in the film (the "crude" humor) they really liked. This is after all the demographic that enjoys the adventures of Captain Underpants... Wink

Elenorflower
Gondor

Dec 31 2012, 4:23pm

Post #11 of 29 (441 views)
Shortcut
I totally agree with you about this [In reply to] Can't Post

there should be a kids version. The book was after all made for children. There are violent parts in the book, but they are generally there to tell a story or give a message about bravery. They are NOT there to thrill teenagers and get them to spend more money on merchandizing like these films are. So yes the gratuitous violence should be edited out for children. There is enough violence out there without riuning the Hobbit for kids and giving them nightmares. Azog was NOT in the book, so there is no excuse 'oh well its part of the story' because its NOT. Its made up. Aslo showing beheadings and goblins getting dragged off to be eaten is gratuitous too. We dont need to actually see all this stuff up close and personal. just my opinion.
I for one would NOT let my kids of 6 or 7 watch this film.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 31 2012, 4:29pm

Post #12 of 29 (432 views)
Shortcut
At home vs. in the theater [In reply to] Can't Post

would make a huge difference i would think. If you have any doubts, you could just wait for the dvd/blu-ray release.

One thing that i've always gone by with my sister's kids (and she has as well) is that if they're interested, they're probably ready. Her kids just won't be interested in things that are too "adult" or complex, and it will most likely bore them to death. Also, seeing things that are ever so slightly beyond them helps them to stretch and grow, so long as an adult is there to help guide them through the experience if they need it. It really comes down to the particular individual.

Brandybuckled
Lorien

Dec 31 2012, 4:40pm

Post #13 of 29 (427 views)
Shortcut
I think it's more of an even distribution across a spectrum than a few exceptions [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
They have no appreciation for Tolkien, Hobbits, or film in general (I'm sure there are exceptions....).

If they want to learn about Bilbo's adventure, read the book. They can watch the film when they're older.

It's funny how different kids can be.

My kids are movie junkies (we have about 300 or so on blu-ray at home, plus Netflix), good readers, and have attended Comic-Con every year of their lives. While their weekend viewing picks tend to run towards Pixar, Miyazaki, Dreamworks, Tim Burton or Crazy Chipmunks, they are quite capable of handling stronger fare.

My 6yo daughter has loved quoting FotR since she was 3 (her favorite lines are Sam's "hearing something about the end of the world" ramble and Merry & Pippin's "second breakfast" bit. Meanwhile, a couple days ago, I witnessed her cousin, who's a week older, run out of a room screaming in fear because she saw Harry Potter was on TV.

Needless to say my daughter liked The Hobbit (and gawd bless 'em, the theater had comfy 3D glasses that fit her tiny face), and she whispered explanations about what was going on to my wife. My 8yo son and his best friend greatly enjoyed the movie, too.

So of your kids are like mine, go ahead. If your kids are like the afore-mentioned cousin, heck NO.Smile

NAArP: Not An Ardent purist since Arda was dented

(This post was edited by Brandybuckled on Dec 31 2012, 4:47pm)

Brandybuckled
Lorien

Dec 31 2012, 4:53pm

Post #14 of 29 (419 views)
Shortcut
PS (too late to add this as an edit) [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's face it, bird poop, ducking 3D arrows and belching contests seem aimed at this age demographic moreso than post-graduate literary scholars, yes?

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 31 2012, 4:57pm

Post #15 of 29 (395 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

And that's why I covered myself with "I'm sure there are some exceptions".

Smile

los marbles

Dec 31 2012, 5:02pm

Post #16 of 29 (409 views)
Shortcut
there are bucket loads of stuff for 6 and seven year olds in the film and on the cutting room floor! [In reply to] Can't Post

Gotta say i am loving the idea of knowing the movie so well I can get the pillow out to cover the kids faces at the right time.
My 6yr old is in fits over the plates song.
My biggest worries on just one viewing ae the decapitation and dismemberment and the gurgling arteries of the goblin king.
Just a few snips... and I'm sue a few additions are possible.

Chainsaw Charlie
Bree

Dec 31 2012, 5:11pm

Post #17 of 29 (408 views)
Shortcut
The Passion [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I loved the film but know the violence level is a bit high for my video game naieve six and seven year olds.

It's much too violent for the kids. Spare them The Hobbit until they are a bit older, and buy them instead a copy of Mel Gibson's "Passion For Christ" dvd. Good family values, and unlike Jackson, Gibson is faithful to the book.

Brandybuckled
Lorien

Dec 31 2012, 5:13pm

Post #18 of 29 (397 views)
Shortcut
Why is smoke pouring from my sarcasm meter? n/m [In reply to] Can't Post

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Dec 31 2012, 5:33pm

Post #19 of 29 (374 views)
Shortcut
book cut [In reply to] Can't Post

im really looking forward to a 'book cut' like you mentioned. just for the geek in me id really like to see that. ill do it myself but im sure someine will have a better grasp of that and be more willing when there all released. im sur ei could get a good 3/12 hour film. just for giggles.

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

(This post was edited by Altaira on Dec 31 2012, 6:10pm)

brucewayne
Bree

Dec 31 2012, 5:51pm

Post #20 of 29 (376 views)
Shortcut
You won't let your kids see the Hobbit at 6 and 7? [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember seeing Return of the King in theatres at age 5! I loved those movies! Probably didn't understand most of it, but hey, they were cool! To be clear- they still are, they are my favorite movies of all time. But if you think it is too much for them, it's your decision.
And no, I don't think that there will be a children's cut.

Chainsaw Charlie
Bree

Dec 31 2012, 5:54pm

Post #21 of 29 (358 views)
Shortcut
Babysitting [In reply to] Can't Post

I had to babysit my 8yo niece several years back. Her fave movie was the first Harry Potter. I was unfamiliar with it (story and movie), but aware enough to know it's kiddie fare, so agreed. Besides, she said she had seen it 80 times (!!!) which immediately made me think of the sour reply Alec Guiness gave to a parent who told him her child had seen Star Wars 100 times.

In any event, there was a scene where a character (sorry, I don't know his name) unwrapped a turban from his head to reveal a disgusting face at the back of his head. I thought that as disturbing as anything in Cronenberg's "The Fly."

As this scene was approaching, the child moved behind the couch and hid, and asked me to let her know when it was over. She told me the scene terrified her. Smart girl, she knew enough to self-censor.

Rostron2
Gondor

Dec 31 2012, 6:25pm

Post #22 of 29 (335 views)
Shortcut
You're not going to see this [In reply to] Can't Post

There's only the parents cut, as described by others here. The animated versions are probably the best answer.

I'll never understand why people want to take younger kids to the theater. It's like experimenting on a lab rat. You have no idea what is going to stick in their heads and what's not,a and what collateral damage is going to be caused by the viewing of scary images. (I agree The Hobbit is violent, but I've seen young kids at far worse films.)

Read them the books until their CPU's are developed enough to handle it.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 31 2012, 7:01pm

Post #23 of 29 (316 views)
Shortcut
The other problem is ... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
There's only the parents cut, as described by others here. The animated versions are probably the best answer.

I'll never understand why people want to take younger kids to the theater. It's like experimenting on a lab rat. You have no idea what is going to stick in their heads and what's not,a and what collateral damage is going to be caused by the viewing of scary images. (I agree The Hobbit is violent, but I've seen young kids at far worse films.)

Read them the books until their CPU's are developed enough to handle it.

That they have to sit still for 3 hours ... which they don't ... and therefore annoy everyone around them.

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Dec 31 2012, 7:06pm

Post #24 of 29 (323 views)
Shortcut
My six and eleven year old boys loved it. [In reply to] Can't Post

The eleven year old said the movie was "leaking", meaning, it was so full, it was overflowing, or leaking. Smile

But I've probably scarred them for life anyway, allowing them to see all that violence. They've also seen LOTR EE many, many times.

But I agree with the others who've said that you can't make separate movies for different viewers. Otherwise, I'd be demanding that purists' cut. Wink

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Brandybuckled
Lorien

Dec 31 2012, 11:15pm

Post #25 of 29 (265 views)
Shortcut
Like mountain climbing at the Tour de France... [In reply to] Can't Post

At home, on the couch, you can judge how scared my kids are for a scene by how high up they are holding a blanket:

Unrated-On lap-no biggie, just watching
Cat 3-Blanket clutched tightly-Excited, not scared
Cat 2-Chin level blanket, moderate apprehension
Cat 1-Nose level, just peering over, scared but can't look away
HC (beyond categorie) On a couple occasions, I have seen my daughter just throw the blanket over her own head. She wasn't about to leave the room, though.
Cool

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.