The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Nice article about RA's Thorin by Michael Martinez

BeornBerserker
Lorien

Dec 30 2012, 5:53pm

Post #1 of 14 (1363 views)
Shortcut
Nice article about RA's Thorin by Michael Martinez Can't Post

http://middle-earth.xenite.org/2012/12/14/on-peter-jacksons-hobbit-richard-armitage-defines-thorin-oakenshield/

I liked the article as it kind of summed up me feeling that the biggest surprise I found was Richard Armitage and Thorin. I knew Martin Freeman would nail it and was sure Ian McKellen would bring back the same magic, dignity, gravitas and mischief he had given to the character before.

(This post was edited by BeornBerserker on Dec 30 2012, 6:03pm)

BeornBerserker
Lorien

Dec 30 2012, 6:00pm

Post #2 of 14 (816 views)
Shortcut
Also liked this one on differences between book and movie [In reply to] Can't Post

http://middle-earth.xenite.org/2012/12/21/how-faithful-is-peter-jacksons-hobbit-to-tolkiens-book/

dormouse
Half-elven

Dec 30 2012, 7:17pm

Post #3 of 14 (713 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for posting that... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a really interesting article (and I agree with most of what he writes, which helps!) I think Thorin really does stand out in the film and I like the way they've handled his character.

Bladerunner
Gondor

Dec 30 2012, 8:35pm

Post #4 of 14 (755 views)
Shortcut
Armitage's portrayal of Thorin is one of the bright lights of the movie. [In reply to] Can't Post

Armitage's Thorin is developing into a great tragic hero.

What has made subsequent viewings of the film so enjoyable is that I notice and appreciate much of the acting subtleties that all of the actors, but in particular McKellen, Freeman and Armitage, were able to contribute.

I've also been more impressed with Freeman after each viewing.

I think the first movie suffered from the last-minute rewriting "should have left well enough alone" syndrome, but I hope Jackson can dedicate more time in the next two films to showcase the character moments and interactions that are at the heart of the story and scale down the drawn out action scenes a bit.

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 30 2012, 11:48pm

Post #5 of 14 (640 views)
Shortcut
Oh God... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
http://middle-earth.xenite.org/2012/12/14/on-peter-jacksons-hobbit-richard-armitage-defines-thorin-oakenshield/

I liked the article as it kind of summed up me feeling that the biggest surprise I found was Richard Armitage and Thorin. I knew Martin Freeman would nail it and was sure Ian McKellen would bring back the same magic, dignity, gravitas and mischief he had given to the character before.

Yap... I think TABA will be unbearable (in a positive way) tension and drama-wise because of Thorin.

For those of us knowing the story because we are so afraid of the moment we already know will come in which we will lose this character (after he already takes a turn for the worse).

And for those not really knowing the story, I think they will be shocked that he is actually killed off. In LotR characters of that magnitude (besides Boromir, although he was kind of a red shirt) did not die. They simply didn't. You somehow knew they would make it. Especially as many compare Thorin and Aragorn, many migh expect him to be the happy king under the mountain by the end of the trilogy.

So, yes... I think TABA and Thorin's death could do movie history.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Dec 30 2012, 11:49pm)

Kimtc
Rohan

Dec 31 2012, 12:10am

Post #6 of 14 (574 views)
Shortcut
Excellent explanation of book v. film [In reply to] Can't Post

He did a great job of showing why the film needs to be judged on it's owm merits. It also gives the reader a chance to understand why other changes may have been made to add character arcs or tension (i.e. Azog). Without some if these things it just becomes a big road trip.

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Dec 31 2012, 1:54am

Post #7 of 14 (564 views)
Shortcut
that's it! indeed. but oh well. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the first movie suffered from the last-minute rewriting "should have left well enough alone" syndrome

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 31 2012, 3:30am

Post #8 of 14 (496 views)
Shortcut
Unfortunately, I agree// [In reply to] Can't Post

When you read you begin with abc,
when you sing you begin with do re mi.

Ave Moria
Rivendell

Dec 31 2012, 3:50am

Post #9 of 14 (521 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely brilliant! [In reply to] Can't Post

Finally a reviewer with PERSPECTIVE.

This is Peter Jackson's Middle Earth, and while I love dearly JRR's, PJ's Middle Earth is a place my heart and mind loves to play in and will forevermore.

-In the Darkness, a torch we hold-

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Dec 31 2012, 4:51am

Post #10 of 14 (502 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the great article! [In reply to] Can't Post

This was really good, and thanks for the link! I, too, am really glad PJ & Co. fleshed out Thorin the way they did, making him into a heroic character, flawed though he may be. All the more reason to understand his motivations, and that look into his past really helped explain so much, not just about Thorin and his motives and goals, but about why there is so much animosity between the dwarves, the elves, and the orcs. Brilliantly done, I thought. Richard Armitage said in one interview that in the next film Thorin has a melt-down. I'm not sure what he's specifically referring to, but I hope he doesn't become the nasty, belligerent leader that is handed to us in the book, because this version of Thorin is so much grander...and his fall will be so much more devastating. I am almost not wanting to think about the last film for that very reason. And I agree, I think Richard Armitage is perfect for this role, bringing to it all the gravitas it deserves.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Dec 31 2012, 5:11am

Post #11 of 14 (510 views)
Shortcut
RA interview - how old? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Richard Armitage said in one interview that in the next film Thorin has a melt-down. I'm not sure what he's specifically referring to, but I hope he doesn't become the nasty, belligerent leader that is handed to us in the book, because this version of Thorin is so much grander...and his fall will be so much more devastating.

Do you happen to know roughly when this was said? The wording he uses would make sense as a description of Thorin's reaction when he learns what Bilbo has done with the Arkenstone. "Next film" does not necessarily mean DOS, part 2 of 3. He could have meant, back when there were going to be two movies, that it would be in the second (but now that there will be three, the scene I am thinking of should certainly be in the third).

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Dec 31 2012, 5:19am

Post #12 of 14 (481 views)
Shortcut
You are probably right [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know which interview it was, now that I think about it. So yes, you are probably correct in saying it will be in the 3rd film, with the Arkenstone thing. Yeah. I'm afraid to witness his wrath!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 31 2012, 10:26am

Post #13 of 14 (433 views)
Shortcut
I'd be interested in finding out how much of a re-write AUJ under-went. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think the first movie suffered from the last-minute rewriting "should have left well enough alone" syndrome, but I hope Jackson can dedicate more time in the next two films to showcase the character moments and interactions that are at the heart of the story and scale down the drawn out action scenes a bit.

I think we're all confused about the 3 film split, and the Azog-Bolg business.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Dec 31 2012, 3:41pm

Post #14 of 14 (398 views)
Shortcut
yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

i don't think much was really changed other than they allowed themselves to include more material than they would have otherwise and the Azog thing. i don't think any additional reshooting has been taking place besides what they're gearing up for with TABA (and a bit of DOS). considering the adjustments that had to be made to shift to three films, i actually think that AUJ feels like a remarkably composed and intentional work.

and, yes, this is a great look at the film's characterization of Thorin that also serves as a pretty good review of the film itself. AUJ ain't perfect but it's definitely an 8 out of 10 type movie, which for me is better than most movies in a given year, and as an adaptation i think it over-achieves, if anything. good perspective in this article with some pointers that some might try to keep in mind when they seek to evaluate the movie strictly by comparing it to the book--or, on the flip side, by comparing it to the LotR trilogy. it is neither PJ's or Tolkien's LotR, nor is it Tolkien's The Hobbit. it is the first part of PJ's Hobbit. take it for what it is, not for what it isn't.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.