Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Big,Bad Ass Dwalin...

YaznegSouth40
Rivendell

Dec 30 2012, 7:20pm

Post #1 of 25 (1751 views)
Shortcut
Big,Bad Ass Dwalin... Can't Post

is a bad dude! I love his look the most out of the 13 with Thorin second and Balin third. He screams don't mess with me! It kinda got me thinking how they will make Billy Connoly look as Dain Ironfoot...because Connoly doesn't look as tough without prosthetics as Graham McTavish does...not as imposing! He must be totally remade almost..similar to Rhyes-Davies was as Gimli! Dain Ironfoot and frankly all the dwarves of the Iron Hills are suppose to be the baddest cats of all the people of Durin! Also what do you all think of Connoly not being a Tolkien fan...I have no problem with it... I just hope he does a good job despite not being a fan..it's possible to be done!

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Dec 30 2012, 7:53pm

Post #2 of 25 (929 views)
Shortcut
I really like Dwalin too [In reply to] Can't Post

He's my third favourite Dwarf (after Balin and Oin). For some reason I always imagined him as the tough guy when reading the book as well. It reminds the audience that Thorin isn't the only hero among the Dwarves.

Loved the dialogue between him and Balin in Bag End:
Dwalin: Well, well, well. You're wider and shorter than the last time we met, brother.
Balin: Wider, not shorter.
(Embrace & Headbutt)

His tattoos worked as well (if Dain also has tattoos as Connolly's stated, I won't mind if they're like Dwalin's). Didn't Graham McTavish say in an Empire article that one of them reads in Dwarvish something like: "If you can read this I must be punching you in the face"?

Not bothered about Connolly not being a Tolkien fan as long as he gives a good performance and stops going on about his dislike of Tolkien fans (inevitably he won't do the latter).

Reliable Radagast rides his sled of Rhosgobel Rabbits round and round Rhovanion.

Tongue twister copyright Radagast-Aiwendil 2012.

(This post was edited by Radagast-Aiwendil on Dec 30 2012, 7:54pm)

Rostron2
Gondor

Dec 30 2012, 8:00pm

Post #3 of 25 (796 views)
Shortcut
Liked him [In reply to] Can't Post

It was interesting that some of the attributes of Dori ('Dori is the strongest') were transferred to Dwalin. It certainly was going to help with the initial impression of a dwarf coming to the door in the opening scenes.

dubulous
Rohan

Dec 30 2012, 8:06pm

Post #4 of 25 (834 views)
Shortcut
I love him too [In reply to] Can't Post

He is a true warrior dwarf. I loved how he knocked the teeth out of one of those trolls.

BeornBerserker
Lorien

Dec 30 2012, 8:24pm

Post #5 of 25 (818 views)
Shortcut
I thought he said whiter and shorter [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought he was joking as to his age and how white his beard was?

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 30 2012, 8:27pm

Post #6 of 25 (774 views)
Shortcut
It was 'wider'; [In reply to] Can't Post

a kinder way of saying, "You've packed on the weight, bro."

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Dec 30 2012, 8:29pm

Post #7 of 25 (739 views)
Shortcut
Well most sources I've just checked say 'wider' but it's possible I misheard [In reply to] Can't Post

That would certainly be quite funny if that is what he actually said.

Reliable Radagast rides his sled of Rhosgobel Rabbits round and round Rhovanion.

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Dec 30 2012, 8:30pm

Post #8 of 25 (762 views)
Shortcut
Blimey, did he? [In reply to] Can't Post

LaughDidn't notice that one

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Dec 30 2012, 8:35pm

Post #9 of 25 (733 views)
Shortcut
I thought it was "whiter" too, [In reply to] Can't Post

referring to his beard. I guess "wider" makes more sense, going along with "shorter".

" Well well!", said a voice. "Just look! Bilbo the hobbit on a pony, my dear! Isn't it delicious!"
"Most astonishing wonderful!"

BeornBerserker
Lorien

Dec 30 2012, 8:58pm

Post #10 of 25 (706 views)
Shortcut
whiter [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought it was whiter because he protested shorter but not whiter as he was being self deprecating about his age. Wider of course makes sense.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 30 2012, 9:18pm

Post #11 of 25 (726 views)
Shortcut
Didn't Tolkien write about one of the Hobbits [In reply to] Can't Post

that he hadn't gotten bigger over the years, unless it was wider? Possibly from LOTR.

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

FlyingSerkis
Rivendell

Dec 30 2012, 9:34pm

Post #12 of 25 (729 views)
Shortcut
Pippin to Bergil in the chapter "Minas Tirith" [In reply to] Can't Post

"I am nearly twenty-nine, so I pass you there; though I am but four feet, and not likely to grow any more, save sideways."

Cool

sharpened_graphite
Rivendell

Dec 30 2012, 9:42pm

Post #13 of 25 (764 views)
Shortcut
I thought that Thorin, Balin and Dwalin... [In reply to] Can't Post

Offered a better definition of bad-assery and heroism than any action star to date. In part also because you never lost sense of the characters' humanity.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 30 2012, 9:45pm

Post #14 of 25 (635 views)
Shortcut
That's it! Thanks FS. :) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua's stories

YaznegSouth40
Rivendell

Dec 30 2012, 10:15pm

Post #15 of 25 (656 views)
Shortcut
sharpened graphite...those [In reply to] Can't Post

are my favorite three of the 13: Thorin then Balin then Dwalin, but I like Dwalin's design best! Really wonder what they do with Dain?

(This post was edited by YaznegSouth40 on Dec 30 2012, 10:16pm)

sharpened_graphite
Rivendell

Dec 30 2012, 10:27pm

Post #16 of 25 (722 views)
Shortcut
Well, he has a mohawk, tattoos, and rides a wild boar... [In reply to] Can't Post

Someone in a post made long ago noted that it sounds like something from the WarHammer artistic aesthetic, which may mean that he's going to be the most gothic and exaggerated looking dwarf in the movies.

YaznegSouth40
Rivendell

Dec 30 2012, 10:33pm

Post #17 of 25 (614 views)
Shortcut
WOW! [In reply to] Can't Post

All those characteristics sound cool! But still hard to imagine Connoly made up like that or as any kind of butt kicking dwarf warrior or dwarf lord.

iduna
Rivendell

Dec 31 2012, 1:52am

Post #18 of 25 (565 views)
Shortcut
Dwalin knocked a troll's teeth out? [In reply to] Can't Post

Now I'm going to have to go see the movie again. Wink

Dwalin is ultra-badass, it's true. And maybe Dori is the strongest and able to lift the most weight. That would not stop Dwalin from being the fiercest warrior.

ryouko
Lorien

Dec 31 2012, 2:46am

Post #19 of 25 (511 views)
Shortcut
Well, that scene is pretty cool. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Now I'm going to have to go see the movie again. Wink

Dwalin is ultra-badass, it's true. And maybe Dori is the strongest and able to lift the most weight. That would not stop Dwalin from being the fiercest warrior.

Agreed! Just because you're the strongest, doesn't mean you're the fiercest fighter. Or the biggest Bad ass. Wink

sycorax82
Rohan

Dec 31 2012, 4:33am

Post #20 of 25 (518 views)
Shortcut
I really wish Connolly wasn't in this..... [In reply to] Can't Post

For a start, he can only really play himself, regardless of what prosthetics they put on him. Also, he's hardy badass enough for Dain... surely there were better actors out there more suited to the role??

Stephen Fry is also gonna be pretty distracting as the Master of Laketown. Not that he isn't a good actor but I can't see him as anything other than his usual Stephen Fry personality!

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Dec 31 2012, 7:17am

Post #21 of 25 (473 views)
Shortcut
Funny how it takes action-hero *dwarves*... [In reply to] Can't Post

to show us that *humanity*. Dwarfity? Nah, that sounds funny.

I think Dwalin's the bad-assest of the lot. I sure wouldn't want to meet *him* in a dark alley. Thorin, on the other hand, I'd love to meet in a dark alley...but I digress. Cool

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 31 2012, 8:07am

Post #22 of 25 (434 views)
Shortcut
See MRS. BROWN (1997); Connolly is fine there in a serious role. // [In reply to] Can't Post

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Avnar
Lorien

Dec 31 2012, 8:13am

Post #23 of 25 (455 views)
Shortcut
Best design by a long shot! N.T [In reply to] Can't Post

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jan 1 2013, 4:17pm

Post #24 of 25 (312 views)
Shortcut
Billy Connolly's great. [In reply to] Can't Post

He's a really funny, interesting actor, and can do drama as well as comedy. He was fantastic in the Lemony Snicket movie, which you should definitely see if you haven't already. I can't wait to see him as Dain Ironfoot.

Stephen Fry is a bit more of a question mark for me. I think he's a terrific actor, and a great "personality", but i have trouble seeing him in Middle-earth. I'll just have to trust them on this one.

Honestly, my biggest hang-up casting-wise was always Sylvester McCoy. To say i had reservations is an understatement. But apart from a few questionable choices script-wise (Stick bug? Bird s***? Sled chase?), i quite liked Radagast, which was a very pleasant surprise, and quite a relief! Dame Edna was a pretty big question mark too, but that turned out alright as well. So it's all good from here on out as far as i'm concerned.

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Jan 1 2013, 4:20pm)

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jan 1 2013, 4:34pm

Post #25 of 25 (328 views)
Shortcut
Whiter it was...// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.