Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Radagast: "I had a thought, on the tip of my tongue..."
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Dec 30 2012, 3:53pm

Post #1 of 54 (2427 views)
Shortcut
Radagast: "I had a thought, on the tip of my tongue..." Can't Post

..or words to that effect.

This, along with the guano on his head was the only bit with Radagast that I didn't think effective. What were they trying to show, that he was simply forgetful (in which case he would seem a real fool having traveled all the way to find Gandalf and then forgetting), or was it something to do with the other people around him that made him forget? If it was trying to suggest that Radagast's brief memory lapse was caused by some form of social anxiety then it could have been interesting, but this was never actually made clear and the moment was cancelled out by a stick insect.

Thoughts/comments on this moment?

Reliable Radagast rides his sled of Rhosgobel Rabbits round and round Rhovanion.

Tongue twister copyright Radagast-Aiwendil 2012.

(This post was edited by Radagast-Aiwendil on Dec 30 2012, 3:54pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 30 2012, 4:10pm

Post #2 of 54 (1385 views)
Shortcut
It's a silly old stink insect! [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved it. Evil

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Dec 30 2012, 4:11pm

Post #3 of 54 (1332 views)
Shortcut
When I saw Johnny Depp's dance in Alice in Wonderland... [In reply to] Can't Post

It was so out of place with confusing cheesiness that I kinda stared blankly and then pretended it never happened.

TheBladeGlowsBlue
Rivendell

Dec 30 2012, 4:14pm

Post #4 of 54 (1266 views)
Shortcut
prior to seeing the movie... [In reply to] Can't Post

I questioned the presence of Radagast,

I stand corrected. He fitted into the movie beautifully.

Clearly, PJ has a better grasp of Middle Earth than I (or many of his critics) have given him credit for.

The man is a genius (PJ I mean, but that may also apply to Radagast/Sylvester McCoy) :)

Maegnas aen estar nin dagnir in yngyl im

irodino
Bree

Dec 30 2012, 4:53pm

Post #5 of 54 (1212 views)
Shortcut
Maybe its showing why Radagast doesn't care for big issues [In reply to] Can't Post

He's carrying important news but is easily distracted by a stick insect, as if to show how forgetful he is and that his priorities lie somewhere else. I didn't find the scene that bad, but some extra reaction to it from the dwarves would be nice, instead of a cut.

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, and the future frightens us. And our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that terrible in-between."

Azaghâl
Lorien

Dec 30 2012, 5:10pm

Post #6 of 54 (1229 views)
Shortcut
This moment was.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Stupid and has annoyed me on all of my 3 viewings. It will forever be the single thing I hate the most about this film.
I didn't feel it added anything to the story or the character of Radagast. It was just a childish moment.

How can he forget what he travelled hundreds of miles to tell?. And where did the stick insect even come from? He didn't have any problems talking right up to that point. Does Radagast have insects insides his body all the time? That is just sick. These kinda things totally removes me from the middle earth experience.

In some cases they went too far with Radagast. Unfortunately..

*Baruk khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!*

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 30 2012, 5:23pm

Post #7 of 54 (1195 views)
Shortcut
If only I had seen my typo sooner .... / [In reply to] Can't Post

Blush

xxxyyy
Rohan

Dec 30 2012, 5:44pm

Post #8 of 54 (1191 views)
Shortcut
Yes, that and Jar Jar. So I feared Radagast. I was wrong. PJ is not Lucas, thank God. [In reply to] Can't Post

Every little detail perfectly fit the character. He was not out of place, he was not ridiculous, he was not cheesy.
I was pleasantly surprised how much I liked him.

http://energyfromthorium.com/

Indigo55

Dec 30 2012, 5:44pm

Post #9 of 54 (1173 views)
Shortcut
Radagast the Spacey [In reply to] Can't Post

Too many 'shrooms, man. Sly

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Dec 30 2012, 5:52pm

Post #10 of 54 (1134 views)
Shortcut
I liked the stick insect :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to raise them for my children, and have a fondness for them. My daughter even commented "look! a stick insect! how cool". I don't think I'd appreciate one in my mouth though.

" Well well!", said a voice. "Just look! Bilbo the hobbit on a pony, my dear! Isn't it delicious!"
"Most astonishing wonderful!"

Finrod
Rohan

Dec 30 2012, 6:15pm

Post #11 of 54 (1214 views)
Shortcut
300 million Americans purplexed by sticky insect [In reply to] Can't Post

For the 300 million Amercans who know this animal only by the name of a walking stick, calling it a stick insect was a source of confusion and mystery.

…all eyes looked upon the ring; for he held it now aloft, and the green jewels gleamed there that the Noldor had devised in Valinor. For this ring was like to twin serpents, whose eyes were emeralds, and their heads met beneath a crown of golden flowers, that the one upheld and the other devoured; that was the badge of Finarfin and his house.
The Silmarillion, pp 150-151
while Felagund laughs beneath the trees
in Valinor and comes no more
to this grey world of tears and war.
The Lays of Beleriand, p 311

BeornBerserker
Lorien

Dec 30 2012, 6:19pm

Post #12 of 54 (1103 views)
Shortcut
I liked it also [In reply to] Can't Post

I liked the fact Radagast seemed very naive and simple hearted and simple minded with how he normally interacted with the world in Middle Earth but couldn't completely hide who and what he was and the hidden power and wisdom one of his order truly possessed. It felt balanced and didn't seem like an act yet blended well with the moments he showed courage and the ability for thoughtful analysis.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 30 2012, 6:19pm

Post #13 of 54 (1103 views)
Shortcut
Really? / / [In reply to] Can't Post

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 30 2012, 6:20pm

Post #14 of 54 (1088 views)
Shortcut
Haha! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the laugh Laugh

Aiya Eärendil Elenion Ancalima! Hail Eärendil, brightest of stars!

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Dec 30 2012, 6:31pm

Post #15 of 54 (1089 views)
Shortcut
Not all Americans... [In reply to] Can't Post

At least where I live we've always called them stick insects or stick bugs. A walking stick is a cane Wink

" Well well!", said a voice. "Just look! Bilbo the hobbit on a pony, my dear! Isn't it delicious!"
"Most astonishing wonderful!"

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Dec 30 2012, 6:32pm

Post #16 of 54 (1071 views)
Shortcut
Make that 299,999,999... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
For the 300 million Amercans who know this animal only by the name of a walking stick, calling it a stick insect was a source of confusion and mystery.

They showed the insect! How confusing could this be?

Indigo55

Dec 30 2012, 6:34pm

Post #17 of 54 (1104 views)
Shortcut
I liked Radagast [In reply to] Can't Post

After three viewings. This movie was apparently too much for me to absorb and understand on only one viewing, maybe that's a fault, or a deliberate ploy to spur multiple viewings. Wink

Stupid Fat Hobbitses
The Shire

Dec 30 2012, 7:15pm

Post #18 of 54 (1064 views)
Shortcut
I had a thought, on the tip of my togue... [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe it's just me, but I interpreted this moment as a possible nod to Guillermo del Toro and a loving reference to the stick insect from his film Pan's Labyrinth. It seems like something Pete would do. Kind of a random event otherwise...

Elutherian
Rohan

Dec 30 2012, 7:23pm

Post #19 of 54 (1108 views)
Shortcut
I think it's good to show why Saruman doesn't like Radagast... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the dynamic between the three Wizards is done very well.

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

Mardragon
The Shire

Dec 30 2012, 9:57pm

Post #20 of 54 (992 views)
Shortcut
I agree... [In reply to] Can't Post

... although I thought Saruman's depiction a little too much on the nose. A little too close to the arrogant side he showed in Lord of the Rings. It would have been nice to see him more subtle, more likeable in the White Coucil scene.

As for Radagast, while his depiction wasn't quite what I imagined, I liked it. It would have been so easy to depict the wizards in a similar way, just with a change of clothes colouring. So individual.

I was also happy to see Radagast hold his own against a Nazgul (although I have mixed feelings on the wraith appearing that early. A bit more mystery would have been nice). Shows that despite his bumbling depiction he is still very much a being to be reckoned with.

(This post was edited by Mardragon on Dec 30 2012, 9:58pm)

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Dec 30 2012, 10:12pm

Post #21 of 54 (988 views)
Shortcut
Saruman, To The Contray [In reply to] Can't Post

Saruman's depiction and tone, to the contrary, seemed to the side of the innocent and naïve while complaining of Gandalf's meddling. i.e., why stir up trouble where it doesn't exist? I posit that it is only your knowledge of what is to come that alters your perception of Saruman's behavior.

Finrod
Rohan

Dec 30 2012, 10:15pm

Post #22 of 54 (975 views)
Shortcut
Yes, really!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, really. I had never heard of a so-called “stick insect” for the first 98% of my life (and yes, I counted).

This animal is just a “walking stick” to me and mine. Ask any six-year-old in America, and that is the name by which it is known.

…all eyes looked upon the ring; for he held it now aloft, and the green jewels gleamed there that the Noldor had devised in Valinor. For this ring was like to twin serpents, whose eyes were emeralds, and their heads met beneath a crown of golden flowers, that the one upheld and the other devoured; that was the badge of Finarfin and his house.
The Silmarillion, pp 150-151
while Felagund laughs beneath the trees
in Valinor and comes no more
to this grey world of tears and war.
The Lays of Beleriand, p 311

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Dec 30 2012, 10:35pm

Post #23 of 54 (980 views)
Shortcut
Middle Earth Walking Stick [In reply to] Can't Post

Middle Earth is not this Earth, really, so it I view any commonality of nomenclature with some suspicion. Even the word "insect" is suspect. Do insects all still have six legs on Middle Earth? We can make no assumptions. The obvious intent with this was to distance their world from our contemporary Earth, rabbits notwithstanding.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Dec 30 2012, 11:06pm

Post #24 of 54 (947 views)
Shortcut
Haven't see the movie [In reply to] Can't Post

but regarding the insect I've read many references to, I am inclined to agree with you:

but I interpreted this moment as a possible nod to Guillermo del Toro and a loving reference to the stick insect from his film Pan's Labyrinth.

As for the phrase "I had a thought, on the tip of my tongue..." it seems to me to be in keeping with the odd turns of phrase or playful language Tolkien strewed about The Hobbit...

Kendalf
Rohan

Dec 30 2012, 11:45pm

Post #25 of 54 (979 views)
Shortcut
As an outspoken proponent of Jackson's films, I found it embarrassing... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Stupid and has annoyed me on all of my 3 viewings. It will forever be the single thing I hate the most about this film. I didn't feel it added anything to the story or the character of Radagast. It was just a childish moment.

In some cases they went too far with Radagast. Unfortunately..

Exactly the same here, Azaghal. It was infantile, nonsensical and utterly fatuous. It's rapidly ascending my "Top Five Least Favourite Moments in Jackson's Hexalogy"...

Here's hoping there's nothing in the final two films to surpass it Crazy

"I have found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.