Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Filmmaking / aspect ratios / film formats

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Dec 30 2012, 5:03pm

Views: 153
Shortcut
Filmmaking / aspect ratios / film formats Can't Post

Filmmaking old and especially new is throwing up all types of different ways of viewing films. I want to discuss aspect ratios specifically becuase i think with the advent of digital and home cinemas/tvs its becoming very interesting in the choices being made.

Im talking about the ultra wide format tradionally used incinenas and if its becoming less relevant. I used to think the wider the better, i love epic cinematography and sweeping landscapes. but after seeing the dark knight rises and avengers at home on my 16:9 40" tele i think we are seeing a trend for the the less wide format of 1.85 ( which i think is closest too widescreen tv's 16:9 format)

it was really nice seeing avengers fill up my whole tv screen without losing any part of (or much of) the original filmed image, or have black bars across the top and bottom.

i noticed when i watched dark knight rises recently , that because the blu ray included the imax format sections, that i really missed having that extra piece of image when it went back to the black bars which accommodates the more familiar film widescreen format. i honestly felt like the filmed had been squeezed into a letterbox for no reason, and it felt like parts of the images were chopped off. it just felt right to have the 16:9 /1.85 format.

now if i saw a film in the cinema surely it wouldnt matter if i got the extra image height if it was filmed that way. but i would get less image if it was filmed in the widescreen format( 2.35 i think)

surely more image is better?

hope you can understand my probably ill informed film knowledge, but i think its interesting, especially now most filming is done digitally and film making is not restricted to a physical film frame anymore.

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

Subject User Time
Filmmaking / aspect ratios / film formats jimmyfenn Send a private message to jimmyfenn Dec 30 2012, 5:03pm
    Widescreen is the best Tigero Send a private message to Tigero Dec 30 2012, 8:17pm
        Beware JWPlatt Dec 30 2012, 8:26pm
            I am Tigero Send a private message to Tigero Jan 2 2013, 3:10pm
    The more image the better paperC Send a private message to paperC Dec 30 2012, 9:38pm
        Art JWPlatt Dec 30 2012, 9:59pm
    1.37 : 1 -- the classic "Academy ratio" N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Dec 31 2012, 6:57am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.