Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The good, the bad, the beautiful, the ugly and meh.

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Dec 30 2012, 7:47am

Post #1 of 6 (907 views)
Shortcut
The good, the bad, the beautiful, the ugly and meh. Can't Post

After seeing this film 3x here are some things that I enjoyed, did not enjoy, found beautiful and found ugly or "meh"..

The good :
Bilbo and Frodo
Prologue
Bilbo meeting Gandalf and the dwarves for being
pretty faithful with the book.
The individual dwarf looks.
Warg designs are an improvement over LOTR.
Distinctive varieties of goblins / orcs.

The bad:
Excesses in believability from the
Stone Giant scenes with the company somehow
staying on the narrow path with all of the falling
rocks and then movement...to the trap door scene where they fall down an incredibly vertical and hard rock shaft hundreds of feet and land in a basket without harm...to the Goblin Town chase falls of incredible distance with once again nary a scratch.
Too much thrill ride effect rather than believable action.
Bunny sled...just was not believable for me, especially in the forest.
Recycled phrases.

The beautiful:
Bag End
Erebor
Dale
Hobbiton
New Zealand scenery.
Rivendell
Elvish designs from armour, weapons and clothing to buildings.
Galadriel
The Eagles

The ugly = which can be in a good or bad way::
Radagast's bird poop.
Dol Guldur - great ugly ruin.
The Goblin King - nicely repulsive but too big.
Azog - I actually like the character quite a bit. In a way,
he is not ugly but simply scarred. For an orc he has fairly "handsome looks".Bluish skin, blue eyes almost a citizen of Pandora.
Spiders look creepy.
Gollum was his usual great ugly self but with his split personality allowing us to consider him evil and yet have some empathy.

Meh"
The Troll scene...it just did not wow me. The trolls were a little stiff looking and some of the dialogue was too similar to the Orcs in LOTR.
Note that the roasting spit was way too high above the small fire if they were trying to cook the dwarves.
Too many hanging or dangling over a precipice situations.
Radagast - I hope to see more substance than silliness in the next chapters.
Rhosgobel - design was just ok. Would have preferred a more substantial structure but it was not a deal breaker.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Dec 30 2012, 7:51am)

irodino
Bree

Dec 30 2012, 12:32pm

Post #2 of 6 (355 views)
Shortcut
Dinosaur Stampede [In reply to] Can't Post

The Dinosaur Stampede from PJ's previous blockbuster pretty much sums up the action sequences we see in the Hobbit. It has all the same characteristics:
- over the top
- pointless
- unbelievable
- silly
- physics go out of the window
- nobody dies while your brain tells you the fatality rate should be 100%
- too much CG making it look even more detached from reality

While I can somewhat assume that the dwarves are far more sturdy than other races, and could potentially survive what we see in the Hobbit, it still does not make the perfect timing of the action sequences any less 'scripted' and unbelievable. It's a far cry in the wrong direction, from what we saw in FOTR and TTT and even in ROTK for the most part.

I agree with your good and beautiful points.

The Goblin King was pretty cool for me, except for some of his modern lines like "which makes you.. nobody really" and of course the dreaded "that would do it".

Azog reminded me of two things, one being a Na'vi and the other - a shark. The latter was a good thing, the former, not so, because it makes me think of the Avatar while watching the Hobbit :(

The troll scene also reminded me of the dialogue between orcs in LOTR, especially in TTT. The scene was ok for the most part, but the finale is very weak, especially the shot with Gandalf sneaking past a tree on the hill which looks like an obvious fake studio tree with a reflector in the back. I wish this one shot could be cut out in the EE - we don't really need to know Gandalf is around anyway until the end.

I was somewhat disappointed with the music - yes it was fantastic as always, but.. so many LOTR themes, often with almost no change - why was the Nazgul theme playing when Thorin charged Azog? Why was the coronation theme playing when Thorin hugged Bilbo, doesn't it belong to the finale of ROTK? The Rivendell theme was the same, while H.S. could have written a new song, with a similar style for it. And the music that plays when Gandalf tells Galadriel why he picked Bilbo and when Bilbo spares Gollum - the exact same as at the end of TTT when Sam does his monologue, I believe. And that's just a few examples.

And finally way too many telegraphed deja-vu scenes from the LOTR movies. Not just the obvious ones like Gandalf striking the stone (Balrog encounter), but scenes like Elves circling the Company on horses (like Rohirrim) or Gollum approaching Bilbo from above, just like in TTT.

Didn't like Dol Guldur a bit, the ruins were generic, CG looking, the camera approach was too linear and too fast, making it look small. Remember the quick shot of Minas Tirith in FOTR? Way better, even if I cringe to this day seeing Mordor so close to it.

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, and the future frightens us. And our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that terrible in-between."

(This post was edited by irodino on Dec 30 2012, 12:33pm)

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Dec 30 2012, 1:14pm

Post #3 of 6 (286 views)
Shortcut
Great Goblin dialogue [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The Goblin King was pretty cool for me, except for some of his modern lines like "which makes you.. nobody really" and of course the dreaded "that would do it".

Really? I thought the entire speech (dialogue and performance of the character) from the moment Thorin stepped forward through to "nobody, really" was brilliant. I also don't see how that particular line is modern - Merriam Webster online suggests usage of the secondary meaning of the word, "a person of no influence or consequence", dates to the fifteen hundreds. (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nobody). I liked it not only because it seemed appropriate for the Great Goblin, but also because I can hardly think of dialogue that would be more irksome for Thorin to hear (other than perhaps the news Azog is alive that the Great Goblin then went on to share, which he refused to believe at that point).

"That would do it" is another story, I see what you and others mean here.:)

CathrineB
Rohan

Dec 30 2012, 2:17pm

Post #4 of 6 (278 views)
Shortcut
The Good, the Bad, The Meh [In reply to] Can't Post

I start with the bad just because I can...

The bad:
- Not the movie itself, but I agree with all the negative comments about the 48fpr (?) deal. Terrible. Watch the movie in 2D.
- I wish there was less CGI. The charm with LotR is that much is miniaturs (bigatures) and great make up jobs etc. It's not a deal breaker, because I could live with it lol.
- Slow mo (I never liked too much slow mo (sometimes it's okay) and as much as I love PJ - I hate his love for it lol)
- Too many LotR refrences/music. I loved many of them, but some were just over the top. We get it - it's connected to LotR!
- Bombur looks like a man in fatsuit. I like him, but it looks too much like a fatsuit.

The Meh (as in didn't hate, didn't love):
- Sure the stone giants and chase scene inside orc city was unbelievable, but it doesn't ruin it for me. It could be better and believable but eh. Not a deal breaker for me at all. In fact I very much enjoyed it.
- The languages. It just seemed so forced this time. I can't really pinpoint what I mean, but I don't think it... flowed naturally... I'll shut up now...
- Azog. Was he all CGI? I saw his actor is listed as VOICE somewhere. He felt off.
- Elves. I did like the elves when I was younger, but I've grown sick of them lol. Oh so stiff.
- The music. It breaks my heart because I love Howard Shore and I love what is, but there could be more! It's lacking! The main theme is epic and brilliant! I love it. The eagle theme... awesome, but when some of the highlights in the soundtrack is from LotR? Then yes, something is lacking. I hope the following soundtracks has more... of everything.

- This is more between good and meh than bad and meh because I rather liked it, but the singing in movie are never my thing. But it worked. It was good and not throughout the whole movie so yeah.

The Good:
- Bilbo Baggins. Pippin is my favorite hobbit in LotR and I think they've made Bilbo much like him which can't fail then (less stupid lol). Not to mention Martin just comes off as very loveable, heroic, but still in need of help. I found him believable and very very likeable. Perfect Bilbo.
- Gandalf. He was a joy to watch again for obvious reasons. No one else can be Gandalf okay? He has that glint in his eye that is just spot on.
- The dwarves. I love all of them. I do have like four major faves, but then I start bringing up the others too because they're all unique. I don't mind the hairless dwarves. Again, it makes them different. Even though not everyone say anything I loved the different looks and personalities given to them. Oin's hearing disabilities, Bifur being off because of the axe in his head etc. Only ones I didn't connect with was Nori really. Sorry Jed, but it's more to come after all!
- Goblin King. Disgusting bastard, but in a good way as that's the point. I think he looked damn real and 'fun' in a way too.
- Radagast! I did not see that one coming, but I loved Radagast. i think he was a fun addition. The bunny sled... meeh, but the wizard? More!
- Some of the LotR refrences. Yes because some were great. Some not so much. Those I loved though was:
  • When Gandalf tells Galadriel why he picked Bilbo and the melody plays
  • "Pity that stayed Bilbo's hand" and all. That moment between Gollum and Bilbo gave me goosebumps.
  • The Shire theme

- Trollshaw. I personally LOVED it. From the moment Bilbo runs after Fili and Kili with the bowls to the trolls are stones. People in the theater was laughing and enjoying it as well making the experience all the more fun. I like how Bilbo will not stop until the ponies are saved. A nice touch. I love how Kili becomes protective of Bilbo. Another nice touch. And the talk about parasites and the facial expressions? Just a whole love for the whole scene and the characters.
- Gollum. I was afraid all the new technology would ruin him. You know. Take it over the top, but I think Gollum looked like he did. And so loveable (Smeagol anyway) and the facial expressions. A joy to watch.
- "Out of the Frying Pan, into the Fire." It's one of my fave chapters from the book and I loved it. All the way to the end. Still a bit iffy about Azog, but altogether I loved it. The eagles scene too!
Anyway there's always something I can complain about, but all in all I adored the movie and I fell in love with pretty much all the characters! I'm sure I forgotten plenty even now though!

(This post was edited by CathrineB on Dec 30 2012, 2:22pm)

Bladerunner
Gondor

Dec 30 2012, 9:18pm

Post #5 of 6 (150 views)
Shortcut
I agree about the trap door fall in Goblin-town. [In reply to] Can't Post

It felt unrealistic and too exaggerated, especially when you compare that to how realistically the dwarves slid into the hidden Rivendell passage to escape the Orc/Warg pack. (No comparison, really).

In Reply To
...to the trap door scene where they fall down an incredibly vertical and hard rock shaft hundreds of feet and land in a basket without harm....

Elenorflower
Gondor

Dec 31 2012, 1:20am

Post #6 of 6 (110 views)
Shortcut
good list [In reply to] Can't Post

I would have,

Good.
Seeing Bagend/Hobbiton again
Bilbo and Gollum great stuff
Gandalf being a bit chirpier on the journey
Elrond always good to see him.
Bofur good acting
Seeing Erebor and Dale
Eagles

Bad/Meh.
all the rest.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.