Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Box Office #'s
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

BeornBerserker
Lorien

Dec 30 2012, 4:03am

Post #1 of 48 (1614 views)
Shortcut
Box Office #'s Can't Post

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2012/12/the-hobbit-passes-600-million-mark-in-box-office

It has now broken 600 million worldwide. I had the opportunity to see it again with a group of 15 family members today in 2D 24fps. It was a 400 seat theater and there were around 300 people which seemed to contain a lot of big groups with a lot of kids. The audience was very energetic with laughter and it received a lot of applause at the end. The families seemed to really enjoy it from what I could tell. I am starting to feel good word of mouth has finally caught up with the movie from the size and energy of the crowd being its 3rd weekend out and feel like it might continue to have legs.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Dec 30 2012, 4:15am

Post #2 of 48 (854 views)
Shortcut
i think people finally realized the critics were wrong [In reply to] Can't Post

its good to know critics don't determine whether a movie is a success or not.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty, oh will you please take me home!!

Kimtc
Rohan

Dec 30 2012, 4:31am

Post #3 of 48 (825 views)
Shortcut
Critics have different agendas [In reply to] Can't Post

It is rare that they like a big, mainstream movie (i.e. Skyfall), and if they do they seem conflicted about it. A lot of top ten lists I've seen have at least five movies I've never heard of (and I like to think I am up on that sort of thing). Sometimes it seems like they pick movies because they are obscure.

Hobbit had a good Cinemascore from the get go. And I really like the dwarf songs a lot more than "I Dreamed a Dream."

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Dec 30 2012, 5:22am

Post #4 of 48 (761 views)
Shortcut
I have seen it 3x with two 2d and tonight at an IMAX 3D HFR [In reply to] Can't Post

screen. Now I can say that I just don't understand the critics when it comes to HFR and 3D. Nothing about the new format bothered me at all but then again, I was not blown away either. Yes, because of the clarity you view the actors in a very realistic way akin to seeing them on stage vs film. That was not a negative, just different. The 3D did not really have a giant impact. I am glad I saw it in different formats. I expect the next two films to feature more differences due to more time spent tweaking them.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Dec 30 2012, 5:23am)

MasterOrc
Rivendell

Dec 30 2012, 5:37am

Post #5 of 48 (780 views)
Shortcut
The problem is... [In reply to] Can't Post

that the theaters are not ready for the 48FPS HFR 3D....

By the time DOS comes out, these problems or inconsistencies in viewing, will be a thing of the past.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 30 2012, 9:20am

Post #6 of 48 (686 views)
Shortcut
Off topic: 300 people?! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen it 5 times, and the most people seated has been ~50!

Shocked

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Steven Van der Berg
Rivendell

Dec 30 2012, 10:49am

Post #7 of 48 (704 views)
Shortcut
Some US weekend projections from Deadline. [In reply to] Can't Post

We'll see if the top three meet these, exceed them or fall a bit short.

1. The Hobbit (MGM/Wwarner Bros) Week 3 [Runs 4,100] PG13
Friday $10.7M, Saturday $11.3M, Weekend $31.5M, Est Cume $221.3M
2. Django Unchained (Sony/Weinstein) Week 1 [Runs 3,010] R
Friday $9.6M, Saturday $11.2M, Weekend $31.0M, Est Cume $64.0M
3. Les Misérables (Working Title/Universal) Week 1 [Runs 2,814] PG13
Friday $9.4M, Saturday $9.7M, Weekend $27.4M, Est Cume $66.8M

Next week there will likely be a big drop across the board, exiting the holidays/ new years and re-entering a sense of normality. ;) It's not a Summer release, with the benefit of having a long 2-month school holiday that many American children receive, giving films released in that window a higher chance of repeat viewings..

With that, we enter the long game. Twill be a nail-biter. ;).

(This post was edited by Steven Van der Berg on Dec 30 2012, 10:57am)

Anubis
Rivendell

Dec 30 2012, 12:14pm

Post #8 of 48 (569 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I understand what you´re saying. [In reply to] Can't Post

For my parT, I feel like some people don´t understand what fantasy is all about. To some, fantasy should only be approached in a mature, romantic way. They have no idea, imo...

BeornBerserker
Lorien

Dec 30 2012, 3:35pm

Post #9 of 48 (531 views)
Shortcut
article about the hobbit having legs [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-entertainment-features/68398-cant-stop-the-hobbit

MasterOrc
Rivendell

Dec 30 2012, 3:55pm

Post #10 of 48 (510 views)
Shortcut
The numbers at my showings were all over the place... [In reply to] Can't Post

Showing # EST attendance

1 300- full midnight showing
2 45 mid day
3 100 Sunday afternoon
4 150 Saturday night
5 65 Christmas eve
6 110 Thursday evening
7 40 Friday last show

In Reply To
I've seen it 5 times, and the most people seated has been ~50!

Shocked

BeornBerserker
Lorien

Dec 30 2012, 4:44pm

Post #11 of 48 (501 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit at 622 milion could hit 650 million this weekend. [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.boxoffice.com/latest-news/2012-12-14-the-hobbit-an-unexpected-journey-bags-13-million-at-midnight

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Dec 30 2012, 6:03pm

Post #12 of 48 (438 views)
Shortcut
also [In reply to] Can't Post

they said TH has exceeded FOTR's box office gross in its current run, AUJ had a slower start is all.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty, oh will you please take me home!!

Chainsaw Charlie
Bree

Dec 30 2012, 6:11pm

Post #13 of 48 (463 views)
Shortcut
Anecdotal report [In reply to] Can't Post

Went to see TH last night with friends, it was only playing on three screens at my multiplex, but all three screenings were completely sold out. The girl at the cashbox said there was a lull last week immediately before Christmas, but that it's picked right back up.

BeornBerserker
Lorien

Dec 30 2012, 6:11pm

Post #14 of 48 (438 views)
Shortcut
viewings [In reply to] Can't Post

This is what I have experienced

DEC 14th - IMAX HFR 3D- midnight showing was completely packed 400/400
DEC 15th - 2D 24fps -150/250
DEC 16th - 3D HFR - 100/200
DEC 17th - IMAX 3D 24fps - 75/400
DEC 24th - 2D 24fps - 200/250
DEC 29th - IMAX 2D 24fps - 300/400

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 30 2012, 6:17pm

Post #15 of 48 (433 views)
Shortcut
AUJ didn't have a slower start than FOTR. [In reply to] Can't Post

Exceeding FOTR's box office run is nothing to be particularly proud of. It's a decade later, prices are much higher, exchange rates are better.

Chainsaw Charlie
Bree

Dec 30 2012, 6:33pm

Post #16 of 48 (419 views)
Shortcut
Mostly right. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Exceeding FOTR's box office run is nothing to be particularly proud of. It's a decade later, prices are much higher, exchange rates are better.

And compared to a decade ago, the economy is worse, unemployment is worse, and wages are lower. Other than that, you're essentially right. Yup, $600-million dollars (and growing...) in that sort of prolonged economic recession is "nothing to be proud of." One could go further and hammer a final verdict on the opening weekend: "It's a huge disappointment."

(This post was edited by Chainsaw Charlie on Dec 30 2012, 6:36pm)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 30 2012, 6:47pm

Post #17 of 48 (411 views)
Shortcut
Oh, i forgot expanding foreign markets. [In reply to] Can't Post

And despite the economy 3 movies crossed the billion, one of which hit $1.5b. Two of them without 3D.

And there have been studies made that say when economy is worse, movies do better.

No, exceeding FOTR is nothing to be proud of.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Dec 30 2012, 6:48pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Dec 30 2012, 7:02pm

Post #18 of 48 (410 views)
Shortcut
Slow but steady wins the race [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not going to set the world on fire quite like I had hoped. It's doing good on the whole though and as a fan of Middle-earth I'm pleased with that.

Chainsaw Charlie
Bree

Dec 30 2012, 7:08pm

Post #19 of 48 (396 views)
Shortcut
Irony: Smaug, greed, and B.O. "experts" [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And despite the economy 3 movies crossed the billion, one of which hit $1.5b. Two of them without 3D.

And there have been studies made that say when economy is worse, movies do better.

No, exceeding FOTR is nothing to be proud of.

(Falls into) "the sort of rage that is only seen when rich folk that have more than they can enjoy suddenly lose something that they have long had but never used or wanted."

Tolkien was a visionary. He gets proved right. Every. Single. Day.

(This post was edited by Chainsaw Charlie on Dec 30 2012, 7:09pm)

Chainsaw Charlie
Bree

Dec 30 2012, 7:16pm

Post #20 of 48 (373 views)
Shortcut
Other studies... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

There are also studies that say when the economy is in the tank, people become more shrill and cantankerous and spiteful and stress about things that are not in their control and basically don't even matter to their own lives. (You can look them up.)

Your personal disappointment here is box office numbers (it's a failure, ergo, because it hasn't surpassed Smaugish expectations and will doubtlessly only make multi-multi-multi-millionaires instead of multi-multi-millionaires). How exactly did the movie's success (sorry, huge failure) affect your personal bank account?

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 30 2012, 7:36pm

Post #21 of 48 (360 views)
Shortcut
Why does it have to affect my personal bank account? [In reply to] Can't Post

Does the movie affect your life in any way, other than entertain you for 3 hours? Yet we are talking about the films here to no end. Because it's a fan site. And box office is one aspect of the movie.

I'm sorry if you don't want to hear it, but it's a fact that many expected a better return. And i'm not talking about individuals who had it beating Avatar.

BeornBerserker
Lorien

Dec 30 2012, 8:33pm

Post #22 of 48 (338 views)
Shortcut
I'll never undstand Avatar's success. [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember teasing my wife who loved it that we had see this before. It was called Pocahontas or Dances With Wolves or something like that but I was really impressed how they improved the visuals with 3D. She wasn't amused.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 30 2012, 8:55pm

Post #23 of 48 (349 views)
Shortcut
Numbers for the weekend are out... [In reply to] Can't Post

North America: $32.9m weekend / $222.7m total
Foreign: $106.5m weekend / $464m total
Worldwide: $139.4m weekend / $686.7m total

Did a tad better than expected in foreign markets last week.

imin
Valinor

Dec 30 2012, 8:57pm

Post #24 of 48 (319 views)
Shortcut
Went again today [In reply to] Can't Post

It was in the theatres biggest screening and has a couple thousand in it.

The place was packed - ushers coming in to help people find seats. This was for IMAX 3d hfr so it cost a fortune as well! Cost me $21!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 30 2012, 8:58pm

Post #25 of 48 (304 views)
Shortcut
It seats thousands!?// [In reply to] Can't Post

Aiya Eärendil Elenion Ancalima! Hail Eärendil, brightest of stars!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.