Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
It's the....DWARVES!

YaznegSouth40
Rivendell

Dec 29 2012, 11:29pm

Post #1 of 17 (1016 views)
Shortcut
It's the....DWARVES! Can't Post

Now I know why I am a Tolkien fan and a fan of this genre! It's the Dwarves! And everything about them! Having viewed AUJ for my 2nd viewing.. I realized the dwarves are the main thing I like about Middle-Earth! Their history ....their abilities...their pride ...their wondrous works.....their empires (Belegost,Nogrod, Moria, Erebor)! Their indomitable fighting spirit and fierce warrior ways when pulled that way! Everything about them! Even in reading the Silmarillion where there are dwarves who did BAD things like those of Nogrod sacking Menegroth...I still like this race of beings created by Mr.Tolkien. Peter Jackson has hit it on the head in his take on this hardy race and their culture and I can't wait to see more ( Iron Hills culture,etc.)

chrism628
Bree

Dec 29 2012, 11:31pm

Post #2 of 17 (478 views)
Shortcut
A true take on dwarves..minus the horrible belching scene :) [In reply to] Can't Post

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Dec 29 2012, 11:35pm

Post #3 of 17 (438 views)
Shortcut
I really like how the fought. [In reply to] Can't Post

Really coordinated and precise, working together to overcome their main disadvantage, their height.

I was also happy to see they had plenty of stamina, unlike Gimil at the start of The Two Towers.

Yes, my username is terrible.

YaznegSouth40
Rivendell

Dec 29 2012, 11:58pm

Post #4 of 17 (439 views)
Shortcut
Wasn't it a true... [In reply to] Can't Post

take for sure! The dwarves will prove to be in these films the stars of the show (if they already are )! Upon my 2nd viewing of AUJ I noticed more this time! I love the battle armor of the dwarves of Erebor! The dragon-helms of steel covering their faces! Awesome! This gets me more amped up for Dain Ironfoot and Iron Hills wrecking ball on it's way! Anything else anybody likes regarding the dwarves. Still like as characters as well as design the most: Thorin,Balin and Dwalin. Plus their importance as in the royal line of Durin.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 30 2012, 12:24am

Post #5 of 17 (385 views)
Shortcut
I really loved the dwarves in The Hobbit. [In reply to] Can't Post

What we got to see of them anyway. Back in my AD&D days, the dwarves were my least favorite race, and i don't think i ever even played one (i played a couple human rangers, a few halfling thieves and one elf magic-user). Aside from the previously mentioned belching, i thought the dwarves were most excellent, and i'm really looking forward to them in the next two movies.

And it always bugged me that Gimli didn't have much endurance (for a dwarf) and complained so much in TTT-- very un-dwarf-like behavior!

Rostron2
Gondor

Dec 30 2012, 1:05am

Post #6 of 17 (334 views)
Shortcut
I think they were well done [In reply to] Can't Post

I too agree that the dwarves will become a real definition of dwarf. If you read the book they did on The Hobbit art and characters, they put a LOT of thought into each dwarf and each backstory. It's quite an impressive creative process.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Dec 30 2012, 1:46am

Post #7 of 17 (379 views)
Shortcut
Dwarves belched [In reply to] Can't Post

to honor their host and the fine meal he provided.Evil

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Loresilme
Valinor

Dec 30 2012, 2:54am

Post #8 of 17 (312 views)
Shortcut
I am a movie-firster [In reply to] Can't Post

So the moment for me, when I first sensed their great history and abilities, came when the Fellowship was in Moria and they entered Dwarrowdelf. When I heard Howard Shore's soaring theme it gave me that thrilling sense of their great past and their accomplishments. I wanted to learn more then and I have not been disappointed with their depiction in AUJ! It is so hard to have to wait for the next two films :-).

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 30 2012, 3:09am

Post #9 of 17 (281 views)
Shortcut
Have you read the books since seeing the films?// [In reply to] Can't Post

Aiya Eärendil Elenion Ancalima! Hail Eärendil, brightest of stars!

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Dec 30 2012, 3:09am

Post #10 of 17 (292 views)
Shortcut
Yes! And to thank him for the beer :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

" Well well!", said a voice. "Just look! Bilbo the hobbit on a pony, my dear! Isn't it delicious!"
"Most astonishing wonderful!"

ryouko
Lorien

Dec 30 2012, 4:13am

Post #11 of 17 (268 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

in LoTR, it was Gimli that I liked the best.

The Hobbit comes out, and I have to keep going back. Why? The Dwarves! It simply because of the Dwarves. ^_^

Loresilme
Valinor

Dec 30 2012, 6:04am

Post #12 of 17 (239 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I read the books and became a Tolkien fan as a result of the films.

Mahtion
Rivendell

Dec 30 2012, 7:55am

Post #13 of 17 (229 views)
Shortcut
Dwarves are great [In reply to] Can't Post

Too bad they have never slain a Balrog, defeat Sauron or wound a Vala. If only the Dwarves Moria asked Glorfindel to help them, he has experience from Gondolin. To think Thorin was in Rivendell and he could have only asked but pride stopped him and ignorance of the light of the Noldor.

The Dwarves have always been friends of the Noldor since the days of Eol and Finrod until Eregion and Celebrimbor. It would have been great to see the might of Durin and the might of Finwe, two great houses united against the dark enemy. Both enjoyed war, crafting, jewels and stone.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 30 2012, 1:42pm

Post #14 of 17 (161 views)
Shortcut
Awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

I read the books first, but only because the movies were coming out. Smile

Aiya Eärendil Elenion Ancalima! Hail Eärendil, brightest of stars!

YaznegSouth40
Rivendell

Dec 30 2012, 6:51pm

Post #15 of 17 (110 views)
Shortcut
sauget.diblosio.... [In reply to] Can't Post

yes Gimli wasn't how I would imagine a dwarf being as well! In comparison to how these dwarves are in The Hobbit and quite frankly how they are depicted by Tolkien they are in no way as weak as Gimli was portrayed...thank goodness we really do not see those characteristics SO MUCH...maybe Nori or Bombur who seem to be more like comedy relief! To Gimli's credit though when it came time for him to fight ....he FOUGHT!

(This post was edited by YaznegSouth40 on Dec 30 2012, 6:52pm)

shadowdog
Rohan

Dec 30 2012, 7:36pm

Post #16 of 17 (108 views)
Shortcut
And he belched. [In reply to] Can't Post

Evil

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jan 1 2013, 1:39am

Post #17 of 17 (78 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I liked Gimli... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's just every once in a while he came down with a case of movie-convention-itis. Whenever one of the films needed to lighten the tone,and there wasn't a hobbit around, there was poor old Gimli falling, belching, or saying something embarrassing. Unfortunately, PJ is never satisfied with something being merely amusing or clever, and has to push it to wacky and zany. And now that i think about it, i would actually argue that the hobbits came out of the trilogy with more dignity than Gimli!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.