The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
{{{hug}}} {{{hug}}}

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Nov 26 2007, 1:30am

Post #1 of 25 (351 views)
Shortcut
{{{hug}}} {{{hug}}} Can't Post

We have been forcibly kept off the internet all day. We could only get as far as getting our password verified! We MISSED our TORn fix all day! A day without TORn is like a day without sunshine! We are so glad to "see" everyone again. I just about screamed when I actually got through. Poor OhioHobbit didn't know what had happened, but now he is happily ensconced behind me reading over my shoulder.

weaver
Half-elven

Nov 26 2007, 1:36am

Post #2 of 25 (246 views)
Shortcut
welcome back! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for all the hugs and glad you got your Internet back!

EvilEvilEvilEvilEvilEvilEvilEvilEvilEvil

Weaver

Mar
Gondor

Nov 26 2007, 2:22am

Post #3 of 25 (235 views)
Shortcut
Cyberspace! love- hate relationship. Glad you finally made it through. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Life isn't about finding yourself, it is about creating yourself.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 26 2007, 3:28am

Post #4 of 25 (261 views)
Shortcut
Of all the confounded nuisances! [In reply to] Can't Post

Doesn't it drive you Crazy, when that happens! Welcome "home"!

Here, for you, an appropriate parody which Ginger posted in January 2006 (yeah, I do like to copy-and-save a few of these! Wink)

“Wasting work time again at One Ring dot net” by Ginger

Tune:  Jimmy Buffet’s Wasting Away in Margaritaville

Checking out One Ring
Checking a posting
S-F-T-H or T-I-M-E
I should be working
and not just lurking
But TORn is more fun than book inventory.

Wasting work time again at One Ring dot net
Looking for a response to my post
Some people claim that Xoanon's to blame
But I know, it's nobody's fault.

I know what drew me
It was the movie
I had to know more about upcoming T-T.
I do love the books so
There's so much more to know
TORn is more fun than charging a book fee.

Heck, it could be my fault.

Chairman wants the budget
A schedule to be set
Magazines to check in, maybe claim
I don't want to be working
Rather be at One Ring
Discussing heros, Bombadil, and Anor's flame.

But I know, it's my own darn fault.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Nov 26 2007, 10:14am

Post #5 of 25 (241 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Dernwyn, that was funny. [In reply to] Can't Post

The technical staff of our local internet provider took 4 days off for Thanksgiving. We figure one of them wanted to get on and saw it was broken!

Draupne
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 26 2007, 10:27am

Post #6 of 25 (235 views)
Shortcut
*hides in corner armed with stale bagels* Just in case [In reply to] Can't Post

a group-hugs coming up. Nassssssssssty stuff. My internet connection has died at 2 am every now and then, I usually take that as a sign that I should go to bed ;-)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 26 2007, 3:33pm

Post #7 of 25 (229 views)
Shortcut
Isn't it awful!? Welcome Back! [In reply to] Can't Post

It happens to me all the time with my dialup at home. It's like Russian roulette.

This time? no. This time? no. NOW!? uh-uh.

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

My DragonCon 07 Report

My JRRT Map Moot Report

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Nov 26 2007, 7:12pm

Post #8 of 25 (227 views)
Shortcut
Don't worry... [In reply to] Can't Post

Virtual hugs are all I indulge in. I learned in my Norwegian family that hugging isn't done.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Nov 26 2007, 7:14pm

Post #9 of 25 (225 views)
Shortcut
Yes, dial-up is such fun... [In reply to] Can't Post

and we have no chance of anything else. Verizon has no interest in upgrading the phone lines here so we could get DSL; the TV cable company isn't interesting in running a cable down our road; and all the trees here means no satellite!

Draupne
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 26 2007, 9:59pm

Post #10 of 25 (217 views)
Shortcut
Yes, we Norwegians like to keep our Personal Spaces [In reply to] Can't Post

free of clutter and other persons. If grunting "hi" isn't enough, shaking hands is the way to go. Some of my friends from university have moved to Oslo and started hugging, and they seriously freak me out. Scary, scary people ...

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Nov 26 2007, 11:24pm

Post #11 of 25 (225 views)
Shortcut
Maybe... [In reply to] Can't Post

just eastern Norwegians hug. My from-Stavanger-area Norwegian family goes in for hand shaking if the emotion of seeing one another gets to be too much.

Draupne
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 28 2007, 12:32am

Post #12 of 25 (207 views)
Shortcut
I think it's just [In reply to] Can't Post

Oslo-people, and they can't be trusted anyway ;-)

They might think that they're being urban, civilized and European. Had they decided, we would have been a part of the EU, they might think hugging's the way of getting there.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Nov 28 2007, 8:34am

Post #13 of 25 (198 views)
Shortcut
I thought... [In reply to] Can't Post

Europeans did the double cheek-kiss thing. I guess the Oslo-ites can't bring themselves to go that far.

Draupne
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 28 2007, 9:49pm

Post #14 of 25 (205 views)
Shortcut
Weird people down south [In reply to] Can't Post

do that. Very confusing which cheek to start with or whether it's 2 or 3 kisses, but it normally involves less body contact than hugging. The trick is to lean forwards without tipping over. Not that easy if you're drunk, which might explain why we here up north have a slight problem.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Nov 28 2007, 10:23pm

Post #15 of 25 (212 views)
Shortcut
I know my mother (the Norwegian parent)... [In reply to] Can't Post

was freaked out by my father's grandmother (not Scandinavian) who had to kiss everyone (coming or going) on the mouth.

Draupne
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 28 2007, 11:50pm

Post #16 of 25 (193 views)
Shortcut
Yuck! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's scaring! I would probably have jumped out the window. Or bitten ...

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Nov 29 2007, 3:21am

Post #17 of 25 (187 views)
Shortcut
I guess she would have liked... [In reply to] Can't Post

to jump out a window, but she was the daughter of an immigrant farmer from Minnesota meeting her new sophisticated husband's family in Los Angeles, California.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Nov 29 2007, 6:03am

Post #18 of 25 (203 views)
Shortcut
Oh gosh, I'm having flashbacks! [In reply to] Can't Post

My mother says that I would wrinkle my nose and turn my face to *her*, and cry if I wasn't quick enough to foil "the kissing women".
Dad's mother taught me a few tricks when I got too old to get away with that behavior because she hated all that fake affection from those particular people as well. And she was always secretly pleased when my making faces and crying embarrassed them. She didn't approve of passing everyone else's germs to a small child like that (or the message that it's okay to let relative strangers kiss you as a youngster) . I miss her. =)

(This post was edited by Eowyn of Penns Woods on Nov 29 2007, 6:11am)

Draupne
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 29 2007, 10:45am

Post #19 of 25 (187 views)
Shortcut
I did the same! [In reply to] Can't Post

More hugging than kissing of small children here, but that was too much to. Apparantly I also completly skipped the "I love everyone" face that most small children have at some point. Now I must train my friends not to hand me their small children :-) Some people seem to think that small children should be passed around as vodka bottles.

Your grandmother must have been a sensible woman. Small children also need their Personal Space.

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Nov 29 2007, 1:41pm

Post #20 of 25 (189 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember when a friend of mine and I were in a grocery store and she had brought along her baby who was a few months old. We were at the cash register, and my friend had to get into her purse. She said, "Do you want to hold him?" like it was this big treat for me.

LOL! Not particularly, but okay.

~~~~~~~~

Formerly known as GaladrielTX

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Nov 29 2007, 6:05pm

Post #21 of 25 (179 views)
Shortcut
I know what you mean! [In reply to] Can't Post

OhioHobbit's nephew's granddaughter was handed to him because "he hadn't held her." She started crying. The poor baby, just handed to a stranger.

Ciars
Rohan

Nov 29 2007, 7:45pm

Post #22 of 25 (178 views)
Shortcut
Motherboard sympathy hugs [In reply to] Can't Post

I just got my computer back yesterday and spent yesterday and today up/down? loading all the programs that got wiped when.....the motherboard died!! Yes, the motherboard - honestly I thought I was in a sci fi film when the techs on the phone said Id to leave it in to get fixed because of.... the motherboard!! Luckily Id backed upeverything - even the itunes library, because everything got wiped!! Fingers crossed its working as good as new now -Im speaking nicely to it just in casis basis!!

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Nov 30 2007, 12:29am

Post #23 of 25 (178 views)
Shortcut
Congrats on the forward thinking. Hope it will work well for a long time (n/t) [In reply to] Can't Post

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 30 2007, 10:20am

Post #24 of 25 (171 views)
Shortcut
There you are! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow! You must have been going nuts! It's been a long time and lots of angst for you. I'm glad to find you safe and sound, though :) Just in time for Fiesta!! :D

I hope you had a great Thanksgiving :)

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

My DragonCon 07 Report

My JRRT Map Moot Report

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Nov 30 2007, 5:31pm

Post #25 of 25 (199 views)
Shortcut
Well, welcome back! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad you finally got through!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eventides' Website!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.