Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
If Peter Jackson took his films seriously -then others would!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Avnar
Lorien

Dec 29 2012, 10:54pm

Post #1 of 105 (2049 views)
Shortcut
If Peter Jackson took his films seriously -then others would! Can't Post

I loved the Hobbit. But then I watched Fellowship of the Ring last night and it got me thinking...

Some of the inclusions in the Hobbit lost people...big time! I mean, does Peter Jackson want us to be entertained (like the Rings films) or does he want us to laugh? Because if that is the case -go make a comedy! Mad

The critics LOVED the rings films! Why would you go and make the exact mistakes that Star Wars made? (Stupid childish comedy, over-use of cgi, change of tone etc etc)

You made great films and you were rewarded because you took it seriously. No wonder all the critics are giving this film grief, it borders on flat out immature at times. The academy gave Jackson multiple awards basically saying "Your films were brilliant"

Now how did we go from that to "Worst film of the year" etc ...??????? Is it a hate campaign or did Peter Jackson lose people by going too far?

-burping contests
-bunny sleds
-ridiculous looking dwarves
-too much cgi
-Radagast
-slap stick
-the Great Goblin
-one liners just before death
-impossible scenarios

Some of the things that happen in this new film have the FANS (who are the most forgiving) trying to come up with explanations to make these things work in their own minds! Where were the people around him to say "Sorry Pete -that just doesn't work!" ?

Peter Jackson -you didn't take this seriously so no-one else has!

Funnily enough...with several scenes removed the film would have been excellent. Phantom edit time...

ForestPark
Rivendell

Dec 29 2012, 11:11pm

Post #2 of 105 (1146 views)
Shortcut
Yes if only [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ had listen to us The Hobbit would have taken in more than 563 million buy now..

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 29 2012, 11:13pm

Post #3 of 105 (1046 views)
Shortcut
Impossible scenarios? [In reply to] Can't Post

Like a magic ring that turns the wearer invisible?

Tongue

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Ave Moria
Rivendell

Dec 29 2012, 11:15pm

Post #4 of 105 (1101 views)
Shortcut
Seriously [In reply to] Can't Post

Yup. That settles it.

PJ and the hundreds of crew spent years working 18+ hour days, killing themselves and giving their best for something they didn't take seriously.

Unimpressed

-In the Darkness, a torch we hold-

Ave Moria
Rivendell

Dec 29 2012, 11:17pm

Post #5 of 105 (1043 views)
Shortcut
Make that 600 million [In reply to] Can't Post

-In the Darkness, a torch we hold-

Elessar
Valinor

Dec 29 2012, 11:20pm

Post #6 of 105 (1029 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

Sometimes the things people come up with really just boggles my mind. lol

YaznegSouth40
Rivendell

Dec 29 2012, 11:22pm

Post #7 of 105 (1066 views)
Shortcut
UN-FREAKIN-BELIEVABLE! [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by YaznegSouth40 on Dec 29 2012, 11:22pm)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 29 2012, 11:32pm

Post #8 of 105 (967 views)
Shortcut
While i agree with some of your points [In reply to] Can't Post

other things you mention i actually liked (the look of the dwarves, Radagast, even the bunny sled... well, up to the ridiculous warg chase anyway). But i must say did get a similar feeling to when i saw Return of the Jedi for the first time, and there were belching frogs and "cute" little Ewoks. Or in Temple of Doom with that screeching, babbling chick and the "cute" kid. The feeling of a loved series going down the tubes.

But i don't think that's happening here. Not only does the Hobbit trilogy have to become more "serious" to line up with the LotR trilogy, but Tolkien's Hobbit becomes more gritty and a bit less silly as it goes along as well.

While i'm sure we'll see more silliness from the dwarves in DoS (which could be just fine as i liked almost all of the stuff with the dwarves in AUJ), and there's bound to be some in TaBA (based on what we've seen of Stephen Fry's Master of Laketown)i think there will be less and less time for that sort of thing as the series marches on.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Dec 29 2012, 11:35pm

Post #9 of 105 (959 views)
Shortcut
The film does have an identity crisis... [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I liked both Radagast and Azog (as far as they went), it's hard to reconcile their being in the same movie. That's a big part of what turned people off, I think.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

ForestPark
Rivendell

Dec 29 2012, 11:40pm

Post #10 of 105 (994 views)
Shortcut
And another thing. Kili.... [In reply to] Can't Post

hottest Dwarf ever !!!!!!

Rostron2
Gondor

Dec 29 2012, 11:45pm

Post #11 of 105 (874 views)
Shortcut
Hmm, some points I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not the same kind of book, or story, although they are putting LOTR overtones into it. I liked the lighter tone. I think once we've seen the other two films, the humor will be appreciated. Yes, I'm a believer in less is more, and subtle isn't the word for this film, except in some places. I think we're getting the approach to the story that Bilbo has. It seems like a lark, but its quickly getting more serious.

If

stoutfiles
Rohan

Dec 29 2012, 11:53pm

Post #12 of 105 (875 views)
Shortcut
Only time will tell [In reply to] Can't Post

While I feel The Hobbit isn't close to Star Wars prequel bad, these mistakes will be more evident and accepted over time. Remember that people defended Phantom Menace right up until Attack of the Clones came out, and then it was generally regarded that the trilogy was beyond saving.

I think most of us hope for great things from DoS, either as a continuation of greatness or as a turning point from AUJ.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 30 2012, 12:07am

Post #13 of 105 (919 views)
Shortcut
Oh dear, this thread could be ugly [In reply to] Can't Post

I for one agree with the general idea of what you're saying.

I specifically have a problem with childish humor and the tone of the film. I know people will say that the book is a children's story and has a different tone than LOTR. Right, fully agree with that. But The Hobbit film has a tone different from the book and the LOTR films. And adding in the White Council scenes alters the tone to one more suited to the later part of the tale.

The humor was just terrible, IMO. Burping, snot, and drug references? Seriously? More suited to a rom-com chick-flick. (Oh, and LOTR is not immune from this, so don't think I'm turning a blind eye. It just was not as frequent.)

I agree with the Star Wars comparison. While I like the prequels (more than the originals, overall), I do understand many of their criticisms. Overuse of CGI and childish humor are big problems, in my opinion. I definitely prefer the most raw and real look of the sets and bigatures of LOTR over the CGI overly polished look of The Hobbit.

One thing I must say, though, is I loved the bunny sled!

Aiya Eärendil Elenion Ancalima! Hail Eärendil, brightest of stars!

Elenorflower
Gondor

Dec 30 2012, 12:14am

Post #14 of 105 (896 views)
Shortcut
well Transformers made [In reply to] Can't Post

a shed load of cash. Does that make them good? no they are still crap films.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 30 2012, 12:16am

Post #15 of 105 (853 views)
Shortcut
What?! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
While I like the prequels (more than the originals, overall)

shadowdog
Rohan

Dec 30 2012, 12:17am

Post #16 of 105 (843 views)
Shortcut
So you are intent [In reply to] Can't Post

On ignoring the many people who disagree with you and love the movie and have seen it multiple times? Yes to them this thread is ugly and an insult to Peter Jackson and his love of the books and dedication to the movies.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Dec 30 2012, 12:18am

Post #17 of 105 (806 views)
Shortcut
What is "serious"? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Some of the inclusions in the Hobbit lost people...big time! I mean, does Peter Jackson want us to be entertained (like the Rings films) or does he want us to laugh? Because if that is the case -go make a comedy!

Why must PJ make this choice? Perhaps he wants us to laugh and be entertained (and cry, and be afraid, and have other, varied reactions to his film). I'm in my 40s, and while I recognized some of the humor was juvenile, it also made be laugh, and, to me, did not feel out of place in this film. (And I feel strongly that the juvenile humor may have drawn some people, specifically, children, in to the movie more than all of it played completely straight could have. Which as I happen to have a couple of those at home, I appreciate. )

In Reply To
The critics LOVED the rings films! Why would you go and make the exact mistakes that Star Wars made? (Stupid childish comedy, over-use of cgi, change of tone etc etc)

That these were (arguably) mistakes for Star Wars, does not mean that they are mistakes for any prequel movie. As the SW prequels depicted Annakin's seduction by the Dark Side and the triumph of the Sith Lord Palpatine over the Jedi and the Republic, they are actually darker in terms of the story they tell, than the original series. On the other hand, The Hobbit has lower stakes than LotR, and its protagonist gets a happier ending than LotR's, so quite possibly a lighter tone, including more humor, is appropriate for this series of films.

In Reply To
The academy gave Jackson multiple awards basically saying "Your films were brilliant"

Eventually. While all three films had positive critical reception, only the third did well in the awards outside the technical areas. (Which seem pretty darned good in "The Hobbit" also). Jackson, it seems to me, did not make the first three films for the critics, he made them for himself/for the film-going public. He brought his vision of Tolkien's world to the screen in the way he thought best without worrying that a lot of critics would not take it seriously because it had elves and hobbits and goblins and the like in it.

And in my opinion, he is doing the same in this film, in a way that reflects the source. While adding some humor that may not have been present, he has also toned down some that was (e. g. not putting Thorin at the bottom of the dwarf pile in his introduction to Bilbo...in my opinion, that would have been a worse misstep than Ori burping and being silly!)

In Reply To
-burping contests
-bunny sleds
-ridiculous looking dwarves
-too much cgi
-Radagast
-slap stick
-the Great Goblin
-one liners just before death
-impossible scenarios

I am looking at this list, and finding nothing that failed to entertain me (though I am not clear on what you consider "impossible scenarios"). Several of the things actually delighted me, definitely including the bunny sled and the Great Goblin. Probably the CGI too, as I am not clear at all on which things I saw on the screen, were, aside from Gollum, Azog (because I have read this here) and Smaug. I guess I could see considering the Great Goblin's last words gratuitous, though audiences with whom I have seen the film, seem to like it.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 30 2012, 12:18am

Post #18 of 105 (799 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I love them// [In reply to] Can't Post

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 30 2012, 12:21am

Post #19 of 105 (823 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I'm intent to ignore them [In reply to] Can't Post

Why should I love the film just because other people do?

And I could easily turn this on you and say the film is an insult to Tolkien. It can go both ways. It's just an opinion. If you don't like mine, feel free to ignore it.

imin
Valinor

Dec 30 2012, 12:21am

Post #20 of 105 (801 views)
Shortcut
Yeah he went too far on a few occassions [In reply to] Can't Post

For some that is just something small and they over look it, for others it really annoyed them and detracted from the film overall.

I think if they were done in a different less over the top manner but then had these things posted as possible things that will happen in the movie would get laughed at.

I do believe PJ took it seriously and put in all the effort he could and the same goes for everyone involved in the films but it doesnt change the fact they went over the top on quite a few things as you have listed.

Overall though most people just want to sit back, turn off their imagination and watch some long action scenes.

ForestPark
Rivendell

Dec 30 2012, 12:23am

Post #21 of 105 (819 views)
Shortcut
Re star wars [In reply to] Can't Post

come on ! The prequels were the down fall? Those things went down hill after the first original. Each cost twice as much as it's predecessor and was half as good. Talking teddy bears and Uncle Fester is Darth Vader?

shadowdog
Rohan

Dec 30 2012, 12:32am

Post #22 of 105 (786 views)
Shortcut
You have the right to [In reply to] Can't Post

Have you opinion and to express it. Why do you feel the need to insult Jackson and those of us who don't agree with you?

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 30 2012, 12:35am

Post #23 of 105 (756 views)
Shortcut
Where did I insult someone?// [In reply to] Can't Post

ForestPark
Rivendell

Dec 30 2012, 12:42am

Post #24 of 105 (786 views)
Shortcut
Shed o money [In reply to] Can't Post

just let us know when ur production company is up and running

pandoraziki
Rivendell

Dec 30 2012, 12:45am

Post #25 of 105 (737 views)
Shortcut
I took the movie seriously [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Peter Jackson -you didn't take this seriously so no-one else has!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.