Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
If Only Peter Jackson could see himself now...

BornOutOfTheWest
Rivendell

Dec 29 2012, 10:50pm

Post #1 of 13 (1097 views)
Shortcut
If Only Peter Jackson could see himself now... Can't Post

I was watching the 'Passing on an age' extra on ROTK extended edition when Peter Jackson says something like "I certainly will never be doing a project of this scale again" (Or something similar). I'm afraid PJ, you've got yourself into a project even BIGGER than Lord Of the Rings :P

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 29 2012, 10:55pm

Post #2 of 13 (506 views)
Shortcut
on this topic, it's worth checking out... [In reply to] Can't Post

Lindele's thoughts on the subject.

See his post here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=551092#551092

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

YaznegSouth40
Rivendell

Dec 30 2012, 12:05am

Post #3 of 13 (419 views)
Shortcut
He certainly has gotten himself... [In reply to] Can't Post

into a project that I predict as well as you did , that will be bigger than LOTR! You just watch! Two years from now is when we all will be able to tell the most!

(This post was edited by YaznegSouth40 on Dec 30 2012, 12:05am)

Ave Moria
Rivendell

Dec 30 2012, 1:27am

Post #4 of 13 (350 views)
Shortcut
Just wait [In reply to] Can't Post

About 5-7 years from now when WB and NL look at the 1.5 billion they netted from these three, not including merch and home video releases, and they magically find a way to obtain the Silmarillion rights.

I predict an HBO series that makes Game of Thrones look like two kids playing swords in Burger King hats.

-In the Darkness, a torch we hold-

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Dec 30 2012, 2:08am

Post #5 of 13 (326 views)
Shortcut
Hopefully a more subtle director than Jackson should do it then! [In reply to] Can't Post

I want other stuff from Jackson now, not just Middle-Earth Smile
Silmarillion is a whole different thing and needs less visuals and more subtle approach Smile

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Dec 30 2012, 2:45am

Post #6 of 13 (319 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't hold my breath on the Silmarillion [In reply to] Can't Post

Money will not move that mountain.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

ForestPark
Rivendell

Dec 30 2012, 2:55am

Post #7 of 13 (292 views)
Shortcut
Yes !!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Then i will kick in another $18 a month!!!!

Mahtion
Rivendell

Dec 30 2012, 8:21am

Post #8 of 13 (252 views)
Shortcut
The Silmarillion is Inevitable [In reply to] Can't Post

The copyright on the Silmarillion will expire eventually and I hope to live to see that day. A miniseries would be great considering most of the main characters (Noldor of the house of Finarfin and Feanor) will have reprising roles across the series until the bitter end when the Doom of Mandos is realized fully.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 30 2012, 9:16am

Post #9 of 13 (212 views)
Shortcut
Not if I can help it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think there's more chance it never being adapted, than there is it being adapted.

And I hope it stays that way.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Dec 30 2012, 5:37pm

Post #10 of 13 (123 views)
Shortcut
Good Point [In reply to] Can't Post

Considering the direction Peter Jackson takes with the material of Middle Earth, I would want a serious treatment of The Silmarillion without the childish humor. Humor is fine - just not Jackson's kind. Jackson is not a fit for my vision of what The Silmarillion should be. I'd like sweeping drama and unmitigated ethereal magic of the adult sort. Jackson has too much suppressed the magic of Middle Earth.

Chainsaw Charlie
Bree

Dec 30 2012, 6:03pm

Post #11 of 13 (111 views)
Shortcut
Then make the pitch! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Considering the direction Peter Jackson takes with the material of Middle Earth, I would want a serious treatment of The Silmarillion without the childish humor. Humor is fine - just not Jackson's kind. Jackson is not a fit for my vision of what The Silmarillion should be. I'd like sweeping drama and unmitigated ethereal magic of the adult sort. Jackson has too much suppressed the magic of Middle Earth.

You seem really sharp and dedicated, but perhaps not so sharp and dedicated to have given a single thought to a singularly obvious idea: D.I.Y.

Video cameras and processing is inexpensive compared to even Super8 film (back in the day).

There is a road map, and it's perfectly simple:

Make some videos. Post them on youtube, or enter them to conventions and/or film festivals. Shop them internationally. Get noticed. Be the underdog -- spend a few years making original works part-time in your basement and hone your skills. Simple. Now you've proved your skills and worth and value.

Then, go to a studio, acquire the film rights to Silmarillion, ask for a modest budget of, ooooh, say, $300-million dollars, cast some actors, start rolling and go to town.

Please, I cannot wait!

Show us YOUR "vision of what The Silmarillion should be" with "sweeping drama and unmitigated ethereal magic of the adult sort."

You'll be my New Hero.

You might even make a name for yourself, and pocket a few dollars to buy your own Hobbit-hole.

(This post was edited by Chainsaw Charlie on Dec 30 2012, 6:05pm)

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Dec 30 2012, 6:41pm

Post #12 of 13 (103 views)
Shortcut
No Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you'd be better motivated to the job than me. Let me know when you've taken your own advice. ;)

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Dec 31 2012, 4:59pm

Post #13 of 13 (93 views)
Shortcut
Silmarillion ain't ever happening [In reply to] Can't Post

not in anything that remotely resembles the book form, at least.

to even begin an approach on the Silmarillion it would require millions and millions of dollars for pre-production alone. no studio is going to fork that over for a project with no central characters or conventional narrative. maybe one section of the Silmarillion could get turned into a movie. i think that's about all you could expect.

for those asking for a more "subtle" director...listen, those types of directors don't do fantasy. and, in fact, LotR doesn't require pure subtlety. there needs to be a layer of subtlety, absolutely, but on the surface there has to be a LOT of passion and imagination to bring this world to life. PJ has never been a director with a ton of restraint (even Heavenly Creatures overflows with creativity). while that may have its downsides, it is inherent to who he is as an artist and is one of the reasons he would even try to tackle a project as gargantuan and epic in scope as Tolkien's work in the first place, bringing such an earnest vision to executing cinematic versions of Tolkien's intertwining stories. but PJ also savors the human drama and quieter moments, and also the things working behind the scenes, and so there is that level of subtlety to his movies, even when they are in-your-face and unhinged.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.