Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Favorite Small Details
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Rostron2
Gondor

Dec 29 2012, 10:37pm

Post #1 of 94 (1764 views)
Shortcut
Favorite Small Details Can't Post

One of the best parts about this series of movies is going to be the time invested in the small details that enhance the big picture as a whole. PJ has an incredible team of art and artisans at his command for these three films. After seeing the first one, I am continually amazed at the care put into each scene, whether real or rendered.

What are some of your favorite small details in TH?

1. The way Bag End looked, even to the details of the larder and the things in it (and were consumed)
2. The way they personified the ponies a little bit.

...?

Briar
The Shire

Dec 29 2012, 10:39pm

Post #2 of 94 (975 views)
Shortcut
Many little things! [In reply to] Can't Post

But the one that I thought of immediately when I read this post was the dragon kite in the prologue. What a lovely little detail!

Rostron2
Gondor

Dec 29 2012, 10:41pm

Post #3 of 94 (878 views)
Shortcut
Yes!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved that. It was a nice touch.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 29 2012, 10:47pm

Post #4 of 94 (866 views)
Shortcut
Dragon kite [In reply to] Can't Post

was awesome. I quit enjoyed that little nod.

Aiya Eärendil Elenion Ancalima! Hail Eärendil, brightest of stars!

The Prancing Pony
Rivendell

Dec 29 2012, 10:53pm

Post #5 of 94 (928 views)
Shortcut
That would be [In reply to] Can't Post

that you can see Bilbo's shadow on the wall when he leaves Gollum's cave, though he is still invisible, and Bilbo forgetting his pocket-handkerchief :)

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 29 2012, 11:08pm

Post #6 of 94 (838 views)
Shortcut
I didn't notice that! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
that you can see Bilbo's shadow on the wall when he leaves Gollum's cave

I'll look for it next time.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 29 2012, 11:11pm

Post #7 of 94 (878 views)
Shortcut
Outside Bilbo's study ... [In reply to] Can't Post

There are two pictures (one a painting of the Green Dragon [I think]), and the other a floor plan of Bag End [again, I think]) on the left and right wall. Both pictures are present in AUJ, FOTR and ROTK, but the AUJ ones are "newer".

Sly

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

LordGawain
Rivendell

Dec 29 2012, 11:13pm

Post #8 of 94 (864 views)
Shortcut
oin's hearing aid [In reply to] Can't Post

In the goblin town sequence, Oin's hearing aid gets stepped on, bending the metal so that the opening in it is shut. Later, at the Carrock scene, in the background, Oin is trying to use his destroyed hearing aid during Thorin's speech, and his face clearly shows it's not really working anymore! So, apparently, he picked it back up when Gandalf told them to take up arms. Loved this little detail!

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 29 2012, 11:17pm

Post #9 of 94 (838 views)
Shortcut
I liked Bag End a lot too. [In reply to] Can't Post

I liked it in LOTR. At least in the FOTR when Bilbo is head of household. (Hobbitlove did a nice comparison between Bilbo's Bag End and Frodo's Bag End HERE.)

I love houses like this. I want to know what Bilbo has set on that railing that runs around the rooms at head height. I want to know what's on the shelves or in baskets or on the larder shelves. This is a house that is lived in and Bilbo seems to be someone who picks things up, deems them worthy of keeping, then finds a place to set them down to enjoy.

I hadn't noticed the personality of the ponies but I did think they were cute and I was sorry, after all the discussion we had here when we learned they were using Icelandic ponies, that we would see them more.

I was noticing the variety of pipes and then wondered what function different pipe designs serve?

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 29 2012, 11:18pm

Post #10 of 94 (802 views)
Shortcut
that has to make it into gramma geeky observation list // [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 29 2012, 11:19pm

Post #11 of 94 (782 views)
Shortcut
yes, the kite was great // [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 29 2012, 11:23pm

Post #12 of 94 (850 views)
Shortcut
a good example of how.. [In reply to] Can't Post

the 'background' Dwarves aren't the focal point of our attention much but they are given personalities and seem to stick with them.

(it is frustrating to see extras or characters not engaged in the action just standing there being bodies on the stage/screen)

I seem to pick up on a personality for Bifur. It seemed to me that, at one point in the background at Bag End, one of the Dwarves is trying to talk to Bifur and he's not responding at all. I wondered if they were making him out to be a bit dim due to the metal in his head. I was going to try to watch to see what he was doing during other scenes.

also... I think he was the first to stand up when Thorin started singing. I felt as if he's kind of out it, mentally, but the music stirred something immediate and deep in him and he responded instinctively.

(This post was edited by Magpie on Dec 29 2012, 11:24pm)

Rostron2
Gondor

Dec 29 2012, 11:42pm

Post #13 of 94 (844 views)
Shortcut
Thror's hoard [In reply to] Can't Post

I especially liked the way the hoard looked. I don't know if it was the color of the gold, or what, but it looked so much better than any other treasure trove I'd seen on film. It wasn't so sparkly and fake looking, it looked -- heavy -- and solid, like gold should.

ForestPark
Rivendell

Dec 29 2012, 11:50pm

Post #14 of 94 (861 views)
Shortcut
Kitchen clean up scene [In reply to] Can't Post

On the floor lower left a set of three "recycle bins" three woven baskets one had paper, one glass and one with tin cans.

dubulous
Rohan

Dec 29 2012, 11:51pm

Post #15 of 94 (775 views)
Shortcut
Many things [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll join the bandwagon and say the dragon kite was wonderful. And the feathers of the eagles. I can never get over the beauty of that shot.

It's also fun to watch the dwarves reacting to things. Like when Thorin says Óin has read the portents, Dori (I think it was Dori) rolls his eyes like he thinks it's all a load of rubbish.

And I'm still trying to figure out which of the dwarves uses Dwalin's head as a stepping stone to climb up to the tree in the end. It's a bit too dark to tell.

YaznegSouth40
Rivendell

Dec 30 2012, 12:12am

Post #16 of 94 (756 views)
Shortcut
Rostron2... [In reply to] Can't Post

yes the treasure hoard was unbelievable! That they could pile up THAT much gold and trinkets is incredible and just adds to why the dwarves are my favorite race in MIddle-Earth! The dwarves in their history have also created some of the true legendary things and places such as: Narsil (Telchar ,greatest dwarf smith ever from Nogrod), Menegroth The Thousand Caves, New doors for Minas Tirith (Gimli), as well as their kingdoms and strongholds which are pretty much unnassailable (except by a dragon: see Smaug)!

Nienna
Rohan

Dec 30 2012, 12:40am

Post #17 of 94 (728 views)
Shortcut
Missed that [In reply to] Can't Post

I was obviously looking at someone else! I'll watch next time.

Bladerunner
Gondor

Dec 30 2012, 12:45am

Post #18 of 94 (751 views)
Shortcut
The look of the dwarven women. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was concerned that the designers would go for a "hideously" comical appearance for the dwarf women, but their look was respectful of the dwarven race. They were very charming.

Nienna
Rohan

Dec 30 2012, 12:45am

Post #19 of 94 (719 views)
Shortcut
You must have been watching with binoculars! [In reply to] Can't Post

Prior to reading this thread, I thought I was paying attention during the movie! Unimpressed

Iowaboy
The Shire

Dec 30 2012, 12:50am

Post #20 of 94 (728 views)
Shortcut
The actual bird's nest in Radagast's hair. [In reply to] Can't Post

Which might explain the other bird product on his face.

Also: the opposite end of the trident-thingy on Azog's shortened arm, which sticks out of the tricep part of his upper arm. Ouch!

The blue light of Sting going out to show the younger Goblin's actual death at the hands of Gollum. Not really hidden, but a nice touch all the same.

I'll need to see it again to come up with others--I know there's a lot more at Bag End to mention.

Joe-Mathews
Rivendell

Dec 30 2012, 1:02am

Post #21 of 94 (723 views)
Shortcut
Thrush eating the snail [In reply to] Can't Post

at the very end. It just made me glad little details like that mentioned in the book (although not in order) occasionally make it in. It also got me excited in anticipation about how Roac or Old Carc the raven will look. I can forgive a lot, but if one of the two doesn't make it in the trilogy, I'll be devastated.

'It is ever so with the things that Men begin: there is a frost in Spring, or a blight in Summer, and they fail of their promise.' ... '[Yet their seed] will lie in the dust and rot to spring up again in times and places unlooked-for.'

Rostron2
Gondor

Dec 30 2012, 1:14am

Post #22 of 94 (708 views)
Shortcut
The Companion Book [In reply to] Can't Post

by Hennah, Taylor and Falconer goes into great detail on every character, the artistic choices, and background. They went deep on this subject of female dwarves and dwarven appearance. It's a beautiful book. I recommend taking a look at it. :)

Randraug
The Shire

Dec 30 2012, 1:16am

Post #23 of 94 (719 views)
Shortcut
I see new things every time! [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe this is odd, but the cuts and scratches on Bilbo's knuckles after he falls down the crevice. They look like they hurt, and I love how carefully placed wounds can add to a character and the urgency of a scene.

Oh, and the fact that the mountain they land on at the end looks like a bear. I didn't notice that until the third viewing! Nice foreshadowing.

"There's nothing wrong with being a loser, it just depends on how good you are at it."
~BJA~

Rostron2
Gondor

Dec 30 2012, 1:23am

Post #24 of 94 (694 views)
Shortcut
The cool thing is... [In reply to] Can't Post

We'll get to see lots more of Erebor from the inside. I can't wait to see little details like the armor, or a random cup, or some toy perhaps. In a source book they talk about how they designed like a hundred toys, but it didn't say if they made it into the film.

Briar
The Shire

Dec 30 2012, 1:29am

Post #25 of 94 (662 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! The thrush and snail were brilliant! // [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.