Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Favourite Movie of the Year

Kassandros
Rohan

Dec 29 2012, 7:10pm

Post #1 of 23 (374 views)
Shortcut
Favourite Movie of the Year Can't Post

Of all the movies released in 2012 that you've seen this year, which was your favourite?

Feel free to list a top 3 or top 5 or top 10 if you'd like. Smile

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 29 2012, 8:02pm

Post #2 of 23 (254 views)
Shortcut
first title that popped into my head... [In reply to] Can't Post

Beasts of the Southern Wild

Although I tend to watch movies in their second run lives and many of the ones released in the fall or later haven't made it to that stage yet. So there lots of 2012 movies I will see in 2013.

There are a number I enjoyed. But BotSW made me think and wonder and investigate and want to recommend it to people.

I checked a couple of sites after googling 'top movies released in 2012' to see what I might have forgotten. Some sites list by box office and Beasts doesn't make it onto that list.

But then I found this blog entry:
http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/lists/2012/06/the-best-movies-of-2012-so-far.html
which listed a lot of movies I'd never heard of. But guess what is at the #1 spot. :-)

1. Beasts of The Southern Wild
Briefly describing Beasts of the Southern Wild is like trying to explain the inner-workings of an airplane to someone who’s never seen a wheel. In his feature debut, director Benh Zeitlin has stirred up a magic pot of poetry, neo-realism, surrealism, pre-historic creatures, the ice age, childhood and lost cultures. The film is a symphony of curiosity that builds toward a glorious crescendo. It’s set on an island known as “The Bathtub,” located outside the Louisiana levees. It’s a forbidden land — off-limits according to the government — but misfits still inhabit it, living in makeshift shelters and using vehicles that would be at home in a post-apocalyptic world. If Zeitlin’s sheer ambition weren’t enough, the film’s young star and narrator, Quvenzhané Wallis, was born with a magnetic screen presence. Six-year-old Wallis injects Beasts with youthful verve. The story is told through her character’s curious eyes, and she emits so much lovable hope that it’s impossible not to follow her. —Jeremy Matthews

http://www.pastemagazine.com/...2012-so-far.html?p=3

I will say, I was blown away by this 6 year old first time actress and a comparable performance was given by the young boy in Looper. Both deserve recognition for the work they did.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 29 2012, 9:24pm

Post #3 of 23 (219 views)
Shortcut
I haven't seen many movies this year [In reply to] Can't Post

Looking at Rotten Tomatoes' list of the top movies of the year, I haven't seen "Beasts of the Southern Wild" or "Argo" or "Looper" yet, although I intend to see them on DVD.Of the ones I did see, "The Avengers" was my favorite, closely followed by "Moonrise Kingdom" and "The Hobbit."

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 29 2012, 9:58pm

Post #4 of 23 (215 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure if Beasts of the Southern Wild ... [In reply to] Can't Post

...fits the sort of movies you discuss in your blog, but I'm kind of hoping you will see the movie and you will discuss it... somewhere. I'm curious what you'll think. Actually, I'm curious about what any thoughtful person thinks! It's hard to find discussion about movies that doesn't have "THIS MOVIE SUCKS" included somewhere in the mix.

Looper is worth watching, imo. Especially just to see that kid!

And Argo is on my list of must see, as is Skyfall. But I'll wait for them to come to my neighborhood discount theater.

I liked Avengers a lot. Probably more than The Hobbit. And, although I didn't hate it, Moonrise Kingdom just didn't do anything spectacular for me.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 29 2012, 11:04pm

Post #5 of 23 (207 views)
Shortcut
I'd go with [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit, Cabin in the Woods and Looper - probably in that order.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

silneldor
Half-elven

Dec 30 2012, 2:06am

Post #6 of 23 (199 views)
Shortcut
Out of all the movies i have seen (1) [In reply to] Can't Post

TH gets my vote.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Dec 30 2012, 4:09am

Post #7 of 23 (203 views)
Shortcut
Anna Karenina and the rest of my top 10... [In reply to] Can't Post

01. Anna Karenina
02. Lincoln
03. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
04. Argo
05. Cloud Atlas
06. The Master
07. The Dark Knight Rises
08. Django Unchained
09. Silver Linings Playbook
10. Skyfall

Special Mentions: The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Les Miserables, The Amazing Spiderman, The Avengers

Also, a shout out to Prometheus. While severely flawed (mostly in it's writing), it features the year's most stunning visuals, great direction by Ridley Scott, and an award-worthy turn by Michael Fassbender.

Guilty Pleasure of the Year: Total Recall. This movie got abysmal reviews - but, for my money, it was a wonderfully fun sci-fi/action movie, with amazing effects and good performances from Colin Farrell, Jessica Biel, Bryan Cranston and Kate Beckinsale.

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Dec 30 2012, 4:18am)

Elessar
Valinor

Dec 30 2012, 4:30am

Post #8 of 23 (200 views)
Shortcut
My rankings [In reply to] Can't Post

On Facebook I've created a note the last couple of years ranking the movies I go and see in the theater. I rank them by how I enjoyed them so obviously your mileage may very depending on if you saw them. In the end counting multiple viewings to the theater I saw 37 movies this year.
  1. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
  2. Lincoln
  3. The Avengers
  4. Les Misérables
  5. Skyfall
  6. DJango
  7. The Dark Knight Rises
  8. The Hunger Games
  9. Brave
  10. Red Dawn (Remake)
  11. The Amazing Spider-Man
  12. Prometheus
  13. Snow White and the Huntsman
  14. John Carter
  15. The Expendables 2
  16. Total Recall
  17. Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter
  18. Battleship
  19. Wrath of the Titans
  20. Underworld 4
  21. Dark Shadows
  22. Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance

Other movies I saw this year included during certain marathons.

The Fellowship of the Ring EE
The Two Towers EE
The Return of the King EE
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Temple of Doom
Last Crusade
Kingdom of the Cyrstal Skull
The Dark Knight
Batman Begins
The Phantom Menace 3D

Elutherian
Rohan

Dec 30 2012, 7:39am

Post #9 of 23 (190 views)
Shortcut
I'll just go ahead and list my top 10. [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Django Unchained
2. Lincoln
3. The Hobbit
4. Looper
5. Les Misrables
6. Seven Psychopaths
7. Argo
8. The Avengers
9. Brave
10. The Dark Knight Rises

Honorable Mentions: The Grey, Prometheus, Seeking A Friend for the End of the World, Cloud Atlas, God Bless America

Granted I have yet to see Zero Dark Thirty (doesn't open wide in my area until January 11th).

Django Unchained is by far my favorite. In fact, it's now officially in my top ten favorites of all time. Tarantino has done that to me three times now (Pulp Fiction and Inglourious Basterds as well). I haven't enjoyed myself at the theaters like that in a very long time.

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

(This post was edited by Elutherian on Dec 30 2012, 7:48am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 30 2012, 9:08am

Post #10 of 23 (191 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit gets my vote [In reply to] Can't Post

And I vote Frankenweenie as the worst film of 2012.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 30 2012, 4:54pm

Post #11 of 23 (152 views)
Shortcut
How did I forget "Brave"?! [In reply to] Can't Post

That might just top my list.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 30 2012, 7:12pm

Post #12 of 23 (160 views)
Shortcut
I've only seen two in the theaters [In reply to] Can't Post

So it's easy:

1) The Hobbit
2) Brave

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 31 2012, 6:43am

Post #13 of 23 (159 views)
Shortcut
1. THE CRYING GAME (Neil Jordan) [In reply to] Can't Post

2. A Heart in Winter (Claude Sautet)
3. Howards End (James Ivory)
4. The Last of the Mohicans (Michael Mann)
5. Malcolm X (Spike Lee)
6. Thunderheart (Michael Apted)
7. Enchanted April (Mike Newell)
8. One False Move (Carl Franklin)
9. Reservoir Dogs (Quentin Tarantino)
10. Wayne's World (Penelope Spheeris)

I know, I know: only one foreign-language film, which is ridiculous. (I've seen 75 films in all for that year.) If it helps, El Mariachi, All the Mornings of the World, and Man Bites Dog were distant runners up (with Hard Boiled and Leolo farther back), but beyond that, I just didn't see enough foreign-films that year. I'll have to rectify it, and watch at least Belle Epoque, The Best Intentions, Center Stage, Hyenas, Minbo, Nargess, The Oak, Porco Rosso, The Quince Tree Sun, Rebels of the Neon God, Savage Nights, Stolen Children, The Story of Qiu Ju, The Stranger, Sumo Do Sumo Don't, and A Tale of Winter. Thanks for the nudge.

Oh, wait, you said 2012 not 1992! My mistake.

Well, at this point, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, which I've just watched for a second time* (it looks so much better in 2-D!), would in fact make my top ten for 2012. However, I've only seen 13 films released this year, and merely being better than Safe House, Pirates: Band of Misfits, Snow White and the Huntsman, and Prometheus isn't very impressive! None of the 2012 films I've seen are great (as opposed to four or five great films of 1992), and only a half-dozen are good. At the moment, Moonrise Kingdom is my favorite.

*Long-time TORN members will find this fact of more significance than others.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

sador
Half-elven

Dec 31 2012, 6:54am

Post #14 of 23 (141 views)
Shortcut
I do. [In reply to] Can't Post

Does this make me a long-time TORN member? Man, I feel old.

At the moment I'm trailing behind you by two points. Wink

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 31 2012, 11:15am

Post #15 of 23 (180 views)
Shortcut
*raises eyebrows* [In reply to] Can't Post

Twice?

NEB, you are full of surprises! Smile

(But then, my viewings of it have only been in 2D so far, so am glad that you allowed yourself that opportunity.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 31 2012, 3:05pm

Post #16 of 23 (138 views)
Shortcut
Great glory and thunder! [In reply to] Can't Post

Twice!!!! I actually like the 3D format better, but the 2D works fine for me.

If you get a chance, try to see Searching for Sugarman and Detropia. They're both documentaries, but excellent. Nice to see you around these partsSmile

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Dec 31 2012, 4:50pm

Post #17 of 23 (122 views)
Shortcut
I haven't watched many movies this year... [In reply to] Can't Post

Or rather, from this year.
1. The Hobbit
2. Moonrise Kingdom. It's one of the strangest but best movies I've ever watched. It has that childhood magic to it. Smile

Sunflower
Valinor

Jan 1 2013, 12:07am

Post #18 of 23 (134 views)
Shortcut
Let's see [In reply to] Can't Post

1)Lincoln and Les Miserables (tie), for very different reasons. Cried during both, for reasons which are probably very much the same.
2)Beasts of the Southern Wild (the review quoted above pretty much says it all. I sure can't explain it, and if Miss Wallis doesn't get a Best Actress nomination--if the Academy really does go ahead and nominated Nicole Kidman in that piece of trash The Paperboy, simply b/c they're a bunch of old white f^&ts who are panicked that we might have another Black Actress nominee (hey, they're all a bunch of 60-something white men, according to the LA Times)...
3)AUJ (this would be # 1 if Peter wasn't so hung up on action scenes and over-the-top CGI)
4)Cloud Atlas--simply incredible. Like Beasts, indescribsble.
5)The Hunger Games--flawed, but more enjoyable each time I see it. Hopefully Catching Fire will have less shaky-cam and more of a "classic" feel.
6)The Dark Knight Rises--amazing and timely story. Damn the Colorado gunman twice, from taking America's attention away from a complelling narative and examination of our broken-down 1% society. I wish there had been more of a national discussion of these issues. There could have been.
7)Moonrise Kingdom--how do I describe this? I won't.

I can't give the last 3, b/c I haven't seen them yet, the ones I want to, so I can't give an opinion.

squire
Valinor

Jan 1 2013, 1:10am

Post #19 of 23 (123 views)
Shortcut
Great! [In reply to] Can't Post

You've covered for me.

I'll get around to it someday, I feel sure.

As far as 1992 vs 2012 is concerned, can you comment on why you saw 75 films that year and only 13 this year? And even allowing for the fact that "great" is a word that needs time to be applied to a film, doesn't the 6:1 ratio of films seen in the two periods kind of account for the "There were four or five great films in 1992 but none in 2012"? The missing four or five for 2012 could, it seems, easily be found in the 62 films that you didn't see this year.

Why did you go see "Pirates: Band of Misfits"?

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

dubulous
Rohan

Jan 1 2013, 10:00am

Post #20 of 23 (132 views)
Shortcut
Besides The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

I really enjoyed Argo, The Avengers, Moonrise Kingdom, and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.

Still waiting for Beasts of the Southern Wild, Django, Les Misérables, Cloud Atlas, and Lincoln to be released here.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jan 2 2013, 6:11am

Post #21 of 23 (93 views)
Shortcut
Time! Time! [In reply to] Can't Post

I just saw more films then than now, and have had time to see more films from 1992 since. I completely expect that by the time I've seen 75 films for 2012, that I'd call a few of them "great". (Even if you didn't work on any of them.) I rented Pirates: Band of Misfits from Redbox because of the films newly available that week, it had a higher rating on Metacritic than the other choices. (One of the New York Times critics this week even said that Hugh Grant should get an Oscar nomination for his voicework.) Too ridiculous for my tastes.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Jan 2 2013, 6:54pm

Post #22 of 23 (75 views)
Shortcut
Yes - color me shocked! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 3 2013, 5:56pm

Post #23 of 23 (97 views)
Shortcut
Yeah... Hobbit is #1 [In reply to] Can't Post

Followed closely by

The Avengers
Battleship
Yellow Submarine

gramma's The Hobbit: Unexpected Journey Line Party Report & Review

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.