Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Friendly message to a new user?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

CuriousG
Valinor

Dec 20 2012, 6:25pm

Post #1 of 29 (521 views)
Shortcut
Friendly message to a new user? Can't Post

Would you mind reaching out to this new user about not using the F word? I don't think, as he does, that it has anything to do with whether there are children here or not. Or maybe I'm wrong?

(This post was edited by Altaira on Dec 20 2012, 6:45pm)

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 20 2012, 6:45pm

Post #2 of 29 (349 views)
Shortcut
Done! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Dec 21 2012, 4:56am

Post #3 of 29 (319 views)
Shortcut
Some of us old ladies [In reply to] Can't Post

don't like seeing the F word either. So thanks :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 21 2012, 5:51am

Post #4 of 29 (298 views)
Shortcut
you always make me think of songs! [In reply to] Can't Post

F-Word (A Chat With Your Mother)
(Lou & Peter Berryman)

There are pirates in their fetid galleons
Daggers in their skivvies
With infected tattooed fingers
On a blunderbuss or two
Signs of scurvy in their eyes
And only mermaids on their minds
It's from them I would expect to hear
The F-word, not from you

We sit down to have a chat
It's F-word this and F-word that
I can't control how you young people
Talk to one another
But I don't wanna hear you use
That F-word with your mother

And the lumberjacks from Kodiak
Vacationing in Anchorage
Enchanted with their pine tar soup
And Caribou shampoo
With seven weeks of back pay
In their aromatic woolens
The F-word, not from you

There's the militant survivalists
With Gucci bandileros
Taking tacky khaki walkie talkies
To the rendezvous
Trading all the latest armor
Piercing ammo information
The F-word, not from you

There are jocks who think that God himself
Is drooling in the bleachers
In a cold November downpour
With a bellyful of brew
Whose entire grasp of heaven
Has a lot to do with football
The F-word, not from you

There's unsavory musicians
With their filthy pinko lyrics
Who destroy the social fabric
And enjoy it when they do
With their groupies and addictions
And poor broken-hearted parents
The F-word, not from you

Copyright Lou and Peter Berryman

http://www.amazon.com/...Mother/dp/B0012KR7N0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWsRTc807d8

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Dec 21 2012, 6:07am

Post #5 of 29 (292 views)
Shortcut
Hooray! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen the lyrics to that song in "Rise Up Singing", but hadn't heard the tune before. :-DDD

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 21 2012, 6:20am

Post #6 of 29 (331 views)
Shortcut
I think there was a verse about Morris Dancers floating around... [In reply to] Can't Post

..but I couldn't find it on the net.

The Berrymans were kind of popular here (they're from Madison Wisc so they're close-ish). They used to get a lot of air time when MN public radio had a folky morning show and people on our Morris team used to sing that one a lot at sings.

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2012, 1:22pm

Post #7 of 29 (346 views)
Shortcut
Um, what exactly is wrong with "fiddlesticks"? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Dec 21 2012, 6:03pm

Post #8 of 29 (332 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

as a violinist, I prefer respect for the sacred components of the instrument. Fiddlesticks indeed! AngelicWink

(This post was edited by Ethel Duath on Dec 21 2012, 6:04pm)

CuriousG
Valinor

Dec 21 2012, 6:53pm

Post #9 of 29 (336 views)
Shortcut
It's another bad F word. Like Frodo.// [In reply to] Can't Post

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Dec 21 2012, 8:17pm

Post #10 of 29 (281 views)
Shortcut
Lady [In reply to] Can't Post

Being a lady, young or old, has nothing to do with it. Gentlemen, young or old, have an equal opportunity. We're all the same in this respect.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Dec 21 2012, 8:41pm

Post #11 of 29 (398 views)
Shortcut
Hee! [In reply to] Can't Post

That reminds me of my high school creative writing teacher. We were allowed to use any swear words we wanted in her class, except the one that was a synonym for "donkey", because the donkey was her totem. :-)

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Dec 29 2012, 3:31am

Post #12 of 29 (275 views)
Shortcut
I've simply given up reporting all the incidents of verbal defecation on the Hobbit board. [In reply to] Can't Post

It can't all be blamed on newbies who don't bother to read the rules or care, and it would be easier to keep up with if the Admins just periodically performed a 'search and destroy'.

No matter what our personal tolerance level may be, some words are still considered too 'bad' even for late night network TV in the U.S., and some folks here have been around long enough to know better.

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 29 2012, 4:50am

Post #13 of 29 (248 views)
Shortcut
I've stopped as well... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but that's because I was informed that the 'rules' about what is unacceptable has loosened. It appears many of the words I found unpleasant and unnecessary were no longer forbidden.

I don't know what you're seeing and whether they are or not.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Dec 29 2012, 5:20am

Post #14 of 29 (292 views)
Shortcut
Specifically, it's [In reply to] Can't Post

the poo word being flung about with wild abandon these days. It's still censored on late night talk shows and PBS imports, and has been edited out here until very recently -- it might very easily be skimmed over and lost in a wall o' text post.

And honestly, the board moves so fast lately that some will soon be out of sight and never read again anyway. Can't really blame the Admins for letting some things go if it means getting a little time for themselves to enjoy the holiday season! They've done an awful lot of board babysitting with lousy benefits for months now -- Praise them with great praise! =)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 29 2012, 8:12am

Post #15 of 29 (273 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the tip. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've edited it out of the recent posts. And yes, we do 'search and destroy' regularly on swear words - but the sooner we're tipped off about them, the sooner they can be deleted.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Kassandros
Rohan

Dec 30 2012, 9:46am

Post #16 of 29 (280 views)
Shortcut
I imagine age does have something to do with it. Along with other cultural factors. [In reply to] Can't Post

A lot of these words have lost a lot of their sting over the years. I sometimes have a hard time avoiding them without realizing it, though a message board is far easier than a chat.

The sh word is something I wouldn't even blink at and the adverbial form of the f word is pretty light these days, I think. I've heard that, many years ago, saying something "sucks" would have been equivalent to those two.

Same goes for "idiot", which used to be a technical term for those with mental disabilities. I personally am very uncomfortable hearing the word "retarded" used as an insult, but a lot of people don't even think about it.

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Dec 30 2012, 6:37pm

Post #17 of 29 (203 views)
Shortcut
Poo [In reply to] Can't Post

I fail to see - in a rhetorical sense - why "poo" is any different than any other synonym for it. It still conjures up the same understanding, the same imagery, the same intent of meaning. It's all part of the same PC desire for euphemisms to pretend we're not saying what we're really saying. Ultimately, it's dishonest.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 30 2012, 6:51pm

Post #18 of 29 (223 views)
Shortcut
Our rules haven't changed [In reply to] Can't Post

Not sure who would have informed you that they had, but they haven't. The words damn, ass and crap are okay if not used in a derogatory way towards someone else. Other than that, the 's' word and 'f' word have always been against the ToS and will continue to be.

As Ataahua mentioned, we also try to do 'search and destroy' searches regularly, but it's the holidays and we just don't get to it every day. The fact that a banned 4-letter word stays on the board a few days doesn't mean it's now okay; it just means we haven't found it yet or no one has told us it's there. So, letting us know either here or via PM is always the fastest way to take care of it. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 30 2012, 10:16pm

Post #19 of 29 (195 views)
Shortcut
hell... [In reply to] Can't Post

is also okay. apparently.

as in 'who the hell would buy that'.

As for 'who told me that', let's just say a mod told me (when I asked for a post to be evaluated for language) that mods had pulled back on some swear words. I took that to mean a change had occurred in the way they were being enforced.

It was my original (and apparently mistaken) understanding that all swear words were discouraged. When I found out that some were considered acceptable (and WTF is considered acceptable as well), then it stopped questioning any. I didn't have a good handle on what was okay or not and I didn't want to bug the mods needlessly.

As I've said before, I don't kick too much about what's in a post because it's highly likely that I'll read it once and not again. But when it's in the subject line - especially in the original post of a thread - it's just a bit ugly to my eyes and I see it every time I visit that board till it falls to page two.

But that's me. I can live with the guidelines as enforced.

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 30 2012, 10:17pm

Post #20 of 29 (197 views)
Shortcut
not that I'm inside EofPW's head... [In reply to] Can't Post

but I took her use of 'poo' to mean another version of what that word means. Not 'poo' itself.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Dec 30 2012, 10:57pm

Post #21 of 29 (204 views)
Shortcut
I Know [In reply to] Can't Post

As you say, she definitely meant the other word and not "poo" itself. I am aware of that. I think if you reread what I wrote with that understanding, you'll understand what I wrote better. I'm equating euphemisms like "poo" with usage of their synonyms as being the same thing. We just hide behind euphemisms as if they are somehow better than their synonyms when their meanings are identical - even if their usage is not. I am always amused even at how dropping the second "p" from "poop," another synonym, somehow makes that better.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Dec 30 2012, 10:59pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 30 2012, 11:05pm

Post #22 of 29 (179 views)
Shortcut
sorry... [In reply to] Can't Post

sincerely sorry I responded.

Will try hard not to repeat my mistake.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Dec 30 2012, 11:21pm

Post #23 of 29 (181 views)
Shortcut
Not At All [In reply to] Can't Post

It means I wasn't clear enough. Thanks for the opportunity to clarify my own failure to clearly communicate. That's how I see things.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 30 2012, 11:48pm

Post #24 of 29 (199 views)
Shortcut
Unless [In reply to] Can't Post

"hell" is used as an insult, it's allowed. The example you've got is one of those "fine lines" which tend to send us Admins into a tizzy! Crazy

But we'd rather you'd ask us to look into something, than to not mention it at all. We do have a list of absolute no-no words, and try to catch them, but it's nice having the eagle-eyes of you and others! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Dec 31 2012, 2:02am

Post #25 of 29 (180 views)
Shortcut
And I think that [In reply to] Can't Post

you are willfully ignoring the comment about personal tolerance levels and all mentions of the FCC standards which partly determine what is considered "family friendly" here at TORn. Other countries' standards are also applied by Admins from all over the world, but this is a U.S.-based site.

Personally, I usually find 'coarse language' much less offensive than intended rudeness, straw man arguments, pedantry, one-upmanship, etc. ...but we don't have any government guidelines for those! If we did, I'm sure the Hobbit board would have less traffic and the Reading Room might be more popular. ;)

We're a truly global community, and even age can't always be guessed or assumed. The rules are in place to make things generally comfortable for everyone who comes here, for which I am very grateful. It's what has built and sustained this place as a haven for so many over the years. It's what has kept so many civil, eloquent, and generous souls here. I'm pleased and proud that we're not like so many other forums out there. I hope 'we' never change!

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.