Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
CNN: The Hobbit worst movie of 2012
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

demnation
Rohan

Dec 29 2012, 12:17am

Post #1 of 112 (2495 views)
Shortcut
CNN: The Hobbit worst movie of 2012 Can't Post

http://www.cnn.com/...index.html?hpt=hp_t3

He complains primarily about HFR,3D Etc. Sad that many critics let that color their opinion of the film.

(Admins: Sorry if this is in the wrong place!)

Use Well the Days

(This post was edited by demnation on Dec 29 2012, 12:19am)

Escapist
Gondor

Dec 29 2012, 12:19am

Post #2 of 112 (1015 views)
Shortcut
That headline made me LOL // [In reply to] Can't Post

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 29 2012, 12:29am

Post #3 of 112 (1022 views)
Shortcut
Why shouldn't a critic's opinion of a movie be affected by its appearance? [In reply to] Can't Post

If a critic thinks the film is ugly, she probably has a duty to say so.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Dec 29 2012, 12:32am

Post #4 of 112 (967 views)
Shortcut
WTF??? [In reply to] Can't Post

People like that just need a good ass kicking. lol. Really? Hyperbole much? THIS is what we have been talking about, in terms of critics being unfair, even to the point of being unreasonable. This is pure foolishness, in a year that saw another crappy Twilight movie, real box office flops, lackluster sequels that failed to live up to their potential like Underworld Awakening. . . Another Ghost Rider movie starring Nicolas Cage?! (The man must have a real deal with a demon to keep getting work, no matter the Ford Coppola nepotism!), Wrath of The Titans, another Madagascar, Linocoln hunting Vampires, another Resident Evil movie, another Silent Hill Movie, Ayn Rand in film form . . . but The Hobbit is the. . . what the hell ever Mr. Critic. lol.

In Reply To
http://www.cnn.com/...index.html?hpt=hp_t3

He complains primarily about HFR,3D Etc. Sad that many critics let that color their opinion of the film.

(Admins: Sorry if this is in the wrong place!)

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

BeornBerserker
Lorien

Dec 29 2012, 12:33am

Post #5 of 112 (982 views)
Shortcut
you would think [In reply to] Can't Post

If someone got paid to be a movie critic, they would see it HFR 3D and standard 24fps 2D. There was more than one viewing choice and you actually had to go out of your way to make sure you saw 3D HFR since it was a much smaller percentage of the screens it was shown on.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Dec 29 2012, 12:34am

Post #6 of 112 (972 views)
Shortcut
LMAO! The critics REALLY hated HFR, didn't they... [In reply to] Can't Post

This is really starting to become hilarious. Laugh

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Dec 29 2012, 12:39am

Post #7 of 112 (927 views)
Shortcut
But it is garbage to lambast a film based on a format that one did not have to see it in [In reply to] Can't Post

Indeed, you almost had to go out of your way to see it in that format, as only 2 in every 10 theatres offers it that way, and they ALL offer 24 fps versions. It is a cheap, tacky blow. The notion that a third of the film was "indefensible padding" is suprilous, highly subjective hogwash (and I would bet he/she is talking about some of the best and most true to text material in the film, not the Azog nonsense). But, setting that aside, to give the impression that a movie was horrible, simply because you did not like the entirely optional, minority format you saw it in, is in itself indefensible. If the format was a problem, go back and see it in one of the other formats. The format is NOT the movie, unless there are no other readily available options.

In Reply To

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

sharpened_graphite
Rivendell

Dec 29 2012, 12:45am

Post #8 of 112 (929 views)
Shortcut
I find this amusing more than anything else. [In reply to] Can't Post

I personally find AUJ to be a severely flawed movie in several ways that doesn't match at all my personal vision of the book, and even then I still think it's a very good movie (despite the flaws and misguided decisions).

So hardly the worst of 2012. Smile

(This post was edited by sharpened_graphite on Dec 29 2012, 12:55am)

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 29 2012, 12:51am

Post #9 of 112 (883 views)
Shortcut
So critics should not have seen the film in the new format touted by its director? // [In reply to] Can't Post

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 29 2012, 1:03am

Post #10 of 112 (908 views)
Shortcut
Critics are under no obligation to see a film twice. [In reply to] Can't Post

In fact, there's an argument to be made that a critic needn't see a film all the way through, if he's honest about that fact in the review: "the first two hours of this four-hour film were so awful that I left after that--perhaps the film gets better later, but I can't say". Who would blame a food critic who left the restaurant after two rotten courses?

Most critics don't see most films more than once: they have too many other films to view. A critic will typically view a film more than once if (1) she liked it; (2) she hadn't seen it for some time (perhaps at a festival months before the actual release); or (3) she needed a second viewing to form an opinion. If a critic doesn't care for a film on first viewing, and feels comfortable expressing her feelings as to why she disliked it, why should she return? ("That soup tastes terrible!"--"How can you say that without trying another bowl?")

Also, often critics don't have the chance to see a film more than once before reviewing it: they see the film at an advance screening arranged by the distributor, and their deadlines are usually before the film opens, i.e. before it's available for a second viewing. In any case, this critic has been honest about which version he has seen, both in this list and in his original review.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 29 2012, 1:08am

Post #11 of 112 (886 views)
Shortcut
It is customary for critics to focus their "worst lists" on ambitious or notable films. [In reply to] Can't Post

Think of such lists as the "worst of the best" or "worst of the most successful".

In such analyses, films like Ghost Rider 2 are worse than the worst: simple non-entities.

ryouko
Lorien

Dec 29 2012, 1:08am

Post #12 of 112 (877 views)
Shortcut
Worse than a Gerard Butler romcom? [In reply to] Can't Post

Makes me wonder if they've even seen any other movies this year.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Dec 29 2012, 1:11am

Post #13 of 112 (888 views)
Shortcut
Fair enough, but we shouldn't have to hear about it next year. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll have no patience for any critics complaining about 48fps when reviewing The Desolation of Smaug. They'll know what they're in for and will have ample opportunity to opt for the 24fps version.

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Dec 29 2012, 1:13am

Post #14 of 112 (905 views)
Shortcut
They won't be doing any critic screenings at 48fps next year. [In reply to] Can't Post

Not a chance in hell.

* crunch *

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Dec 29 2012, 1:13am

Post #15 of 112 (903 views)
Shortcut
Not if you opted to pile onto the soup with the optional sauce labled "extremely hot" [In reply to] Can't Post

If you want to blast the format do so. And then get back to telling us about the rest of the film. This is shoddy criticism. Period. There are alot of things Jackson did which I won't defend, and many which I attack. But this was not a "bad" movie, as movies go, and certainly not as standard blockbuster fare, and for the average critic to sit there and say otherwise without citing very good reasons is lazy and in poor taste.

In Reply To
In fact, there's an argument to be made that a critic needn't see a film all the way through, if he's honest about that fact in the review: "the first two hours of this four-hour film were so awful that I left after that--perhaps the film gets better later, but I can't say". Who would blame a food critic who left the restaurant after two rotten courses?

Most critics don't see most films more than once: they have too many other films to view. A critic will typically view a film more than once if (1) she liked it; (2) she hadn't seen it for some time (perhaps at a festival months before the actual release); or (3) she needed a second viewing to form an opinion. If a critic doesn't care for a film on first viewing, and feels comfortable expressing her feelings as to why she disliked it, why should she return? ("That soup tastes terrible!"--"How can you say that without trying another bowl?")

Also, often critics don't have the chance to see a film more than once before reviewing it: they see the film at an advance screening arranged by the distributor, and their deadlines are usually before the film opens, i.e. before it's available for a second viewing. In any case, this critic has been honest about which version he has seen, both in this list and in his original review.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Dec 29 2012, 1:15am

Post #16 of 112 (900 views)
Shortcut
And what of the likes of Breaking Dawn, and even Resident Evil? [In reply to] Can't Post

They made enough money to be noteworthy. . . yet I do not see them here. You and I both know damn well why this person put The Hobbit on the top of their list. Sensationalism. A tacky and easy way to create a stir.

In Reply To
Think of such lists as the "worst of the best" or "worst of the most successful".

In such analyses, films like Ghost Rider 2 are worse than the worst: simple non-entities.

BeornBerserker
Lorien

Dec 29 2012, 1:41am

Post #17 of 112 (808 views)
Shortcut
I suppose [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess everyone has a different view of professionalism. For instance my other duties require my attention enough to justify not informing passengers what the nature of a delay is or for how long it may occur. From a regulation perspective, there is a requirement to give them the opportunity to deplane after a certain time period or a fine be levied but nothing that requires informative updates and only cursory guidance from a company perspective "to make an effort, as time permits and conditions permit." I think I know which flight I would rather be on but that is just my opinion of really fulfilling the responsibility of what the job is. The same goes for knowledge and competency. There is a minimum level which only requires a certain amount of effort but myself and my peers take pride in knowing it to higher level than just more than enough to meet the minimum standard.

It shouldn't matter as a professional what your job is, movie critic or otherwise to accept or embrace the mantra of "well, I am under no obligation to do more than this so here it is." If you fancy yourself a professional, I think it reasonable to expect both knowledge and effort to be informed and comprehensive. Again, JMHO.

(This post was edited by BeornBerserker on Dec 29 2012, 1:43am)

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Dec 29 2012, 1:44am

Post #18 of 112 (816 views)
Shortcut
Oh, please! [In reply to] Can't Post

All the films on that list alone are far worse than TH (save Hyde Park which I have yet to see). Really, the HFR issues should be reviewed separately from the film itself.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

redgiraffe
Rohan

Dec 29 2012, 1:44am

Post #19 of 112 (797 views)
Shortcut
this is a fair point [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

However, a film is more than just the looks, and that should be taken into account. I cant atop thinking about how avatar received such great acclaim and was nominated for best picture. Sure it looked fantastic and was the best 3d experience ice had. But that's not nearly enough to make it a great film. The story line was generic, dialogue was lame, and the acting was sub par. But critics LOVED it. I fear it was because they were too memorized by the look. And I feel like the look of then hobbit was all that was focused on in many cases.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 29 2012, 1:58am

Post #20 of 112 (778 views)
Shortcut
It's not a fair point. [In reply to] Can't Post

You can't base an opinion of a film on a completely optional way of seeing it, especially one that less than 10% of theaters will be showing it in anyway. That would be like giving a movie a bad review because the seats in the theater were uncomfortable. Or giving a book a bad review because the type on your edition was too small.

48fps was not an inherent element of the film, like the acting, music, or cinematography. And if it bothers the reviewer that much, it is their responsibility to see it in it's most common format-- 2D 24fps. 48fps should be nothing more than a side note to the review, and should not factor into the overall review at all.

Ave Moria
Rivendell

Dec 29 2012, 2:10am

Post #21 of 112 (794 views)
Shortcut
The stupidest thing I have heard in 2012 [In reply to] Can't Post

Fact:

The Rings and Hobbit Trilogy will go down in recorded history as successes not only financially, but in the minds of the majority of fans and movie goers.

20 years from now, after several generations of fans share the virtues of The Hobbit with their children, and bask in the themes of friendship, courage, home and adventure, it will only grow in esteem with more people than it will be remembered negatively.

This critic will not be celebrated. If anyone knows who they are now, or even cares, they certainly won't be discussed and worthy of inspiration and entertainment for years to come. That honor belongs to The Hobbit.

Sure people can have their opinion, but this isn't Twilight or Transformers 2. Just because someone who gets paid to write for CNN says it is thus, does not make that reality true to the hearts and minds of ALL people.

The only way this is the worst film of 2012 is if ALL people agree on that, and that is pretty clearly not the case.

-In the Darkness, a torch we hold-

Ave Moria
Rivendell

Dec 29 2012, 2:13am

Post #22 of 112 (772 views)
Shortcut
Love your posts [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the best on this site-

Articulate, brilliant.

-In the Darkness, a torch we hold-

Elizabeth
Valinor

Dec 29 2012, 2:15am

Post #23 of 112 (858 views)
Shortcut
"...as standard blockbusters go..." [In reply to] Can't Post

That's exactly the problem. The LotR films were exceptional blockbusters, with far more content and style than "standard". The critics (and the rest of us) had every reason and encouragement to expect that TH would be at that level, and it just isn't (although there are moments that do rise to it). So you have the problem of elevated expectations, both for the film and for the ambitious use of the new medium, and there's nothing deadlier than failed expectations.

Join us NOW in the Reading Room for detailed discussions of The Hobbit, July 9-Nov. 18!

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Dec 29 2012, 2:15am)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 29 2012, 2:32am

Post #24 of 112 (741 views)
Shortcut
Couldn't have said it better myself, Elizabeth. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Aiya Eärendil Elenion Ancalima! Hail Eärendil, brightest of stars!

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Dec 29 2012, 2:37am

Post #25 of 112 (755 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, but The Hobbit is significantly lighter fare... [In reply to] Can't Post

...both in tone and substance, than The Lord of the Rings.

I think it's a mistake to dismiss An Unexpected Journey because it's not as dense or dramatically impactful as the LotR films. Should one judge the two very different novels in the same fashion?

But then, I don't completely blame critics for this. The marketing went out it's way to market this more as a LotR prequel than it's own adventure.

- T.E. Lawrence

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.